Is this the anime equivalent of Sherlock Holmes?

Is this the anime equivalent of Sherlock Holmes?

No, that would be Detective Conan

No, that would be Milky Holmes.

What was gosick even about. I completely forgot.
All I know is that loli girl was cute as FUCK

I want Victorique to rub my dick with her feet.

Prime example of an anime completely ruined by an insufferable male lead.

What would you change? There would be less mysteries without Kujo.

That would have been a good thing, the mysteries are dogshit in Gosick.

I remembered not liking the MC too much back when it was airing. There was that similar anime Dantalian no Shoka, that had a more likable MC.

Is it good? 12 episodes is always a bad thing.

This more or less. He was just so bland and like a broken record, not to mention having to always bring up the fact that he's the son of an Officer in order to make himself feel important somehow. That and he was pretty obviously a self-insert for the Nips. Male lead should've been a European instead.

It was a good show in my opinion. The visuals were nice and the soundtrack matched up pretty well with the setting of the anime. It also helps that the MC wasn't just another self insert Japanese protagonist. If I remember correctly the MC is British, and was a Royal Air Force pilot during WW1. So unlike the guy from Gosick, he's actually pretty capable.

The ending is pretty quick/leaves more to be desired/leaves it open for an S2, but aside from that, it was really enjoyable. Each episode for the most part if a self-contained mystery/adventure, but they're done well. MC is a pretty cool dude, and mans up when needed while being a classic gentleman. Dalian a cute too. I'd recommend it if you like Gothic themes/mysteries.

>>ripoff
actually , shit apart it was a pretty gud anime

sad to say that even after becoming 20 , Kujo still haven't banged his loli...

MC is alpha as fuck and respond to the loli's tsundere antics like he should. Pretty refreshing.

MC was completely different in the novels.
They really made him generic in the anime.

Needed more bikutorika doujins.

Good show overall, ending was a little shirt though. The first arc with the ship was excellent though.

I read the first translated novel and he still seemed pretty generic, although I do understand it's just the first one though. Either way, I feel like the pairing was really bad and he detracted from it if anything.

He's apparently a complete asshole in the novels, really looks down on women.
But he gets better and opens up to Victorique.

>Either way, I feel like the pairing was really bad and he detracted from it if anything.
Honestly I didn't mind him. Victorique needed someone, she didn't have anyone else apart from her brother and solitude. If they presented him better like the novel did, he might've been genuinely likeable by the end, after some needed character development. The anime made him dense and retarded, he let Victorique handle all the mysteries when he was apparently smart himself.
The novel translator's blog has much more about his character changes, going as far to say that they share the same name, but are completely different characters.

I liked the ship for what it was worth. I just wanted them to be happy by the end of it, after all the shit that went down. Even if the MC's constant crying out for Victorique got annoying, at least he faithful to her and not indecisive after a certain point.

I also genuinely liked the juxtaposition in the OP and anime's ending scene.

Now if only Kujo knew words other than VICTORIQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE, it would be pretty great. I usually don't complain about generic, bland main characters, but Kujo just got on my nerves simply because he is ridiculously incompetent. Most of the arcs were him doing literally nothing other than looking for/after the loli. Comparing him to Dantalian's MC is unfair - Disward is better in every little thing he could be.

Still enjoyed the series, though it would be way better with an actual protagonist that had his own character.

They rewrote his character for the anime, apparently not for the better. It made him annoying, dense and incompetent. The episode where he blamed Victorique for snapping in class without knowing the whole story, really pissed me off, .
Also skipped a lot of SOL side/bonus volumes due to time restraints that developed him.
Either way I hope we get Gosick Red adapted one day.

I've heard about the asshole bits before and his nationalism making him seem very aggravating.

What my issue with him being paired up with her is that literally any other teen or young adult male figure could have been in his position, and Victorique would have opened up to him as well (so long as he wasn't an asshole of course). Little bit of a tangent here, but my main area of study is Victorian/19th century fiction, and Gosick for the most part fits the tropes/themes for the most part. Hell, the title is supposed to be "Gothic" after all. There's something within Victorian/Gothic fiction called the bildungsroman (basically a more mature version of a coming of age story for boys) and there's a female version of it too. The female bildungsroman fits Victorique perfectly, with some of the traits being: lacking a formal education, mother figures are dead or missing, the female character searches for a maternal figure for most of the novel, along with the girl falling in love and wedding a mentor figure. I've looked briefly into other novels by the same author, and I've noticed a trend of the female leads often falling in love with much older male figures as well (if I'm not mistaken). Combine that with the fact that post war Victorique still doesn't love Kujo within the novel series/hasn't opened up to him (this is more hearsay though) and it really seems to me like she wasn't destined to be with him at all. And then you have the symbolism of the wolf and the rabbit which doesn't mix at all really. It could just be my autism just acting up, but I just don't think that the two pair well with one another.

I should've corrected myself when I was going over the Bildungsroman, I meant to say that she fits -most- of the aspects, aside from the last one listed. There's more to it of course, but it goes into romantic relationship dynamics

No, this is.

>VICTORIQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
He never yelled that though. He yelled VICTORICA, which is her actual name.

That's an interesting analysis user, I'm impressed.
I hear in the novel they end up together as well, then they start a formal detective agency in New York, which is the plot of Gosick Red.
I'm assuming that's where their romance will start/flourish.
With all the imagery and Victorian literary references you mentioned though, perhaps it wasn't that fitting. Perhaps it was changed for the Japanese audience or something, but then again Dantalian wasn't.
But I think we can both agree that we need more Victorian anime, I love the setting too.
Kuroshitsuji, Pandora Hearts, Gosick, Dantalian etc. were all definite pick ups for me, because I love both mystery and Victorian era stuff.

Here we go again.

I appreciate it, it's one of the few series I feel pretty passionate about, and to be frank I loved the political backdrop of the story, since there was just -so- much going on in the background.
They do move to New York though and open up an agency as well. IIRC I think they do technically own it together, but Kujo also does odd-jobs here and there. There's also another semi-important side character who I forget the name of, an Italian American who becomes friends with Kujo.
With my theories or ideas though, they're just that theories. While I personally really don't like their pairing, I don't want to ruin someone else's enjoyment of the series or what they think of the characters.
I definitely do agree that more stuff from a pseudo-Victorian or straight-up Victorian setting would be great. I still need to give Pandora Hearts a try, though I'll admit that Kuroshitsuji I'm a bit iffy about trying.

Oh right, I've got a few little fun-facts/bits of info if you haven't heard them before either. Though it might be best to take them with a grain of salt, since I've been told this by someone who has apparently read Red and I -think- blue as well, along with some other inferences I've made:
-Victorique apparently has her hair turn Silver due to something involving her bloodlines/leaving Europe. Supposedly since she's part Gray Wolf, she has some mythical/"magical" aspect to her within her blood. Leaving the "Old World"/Europe causes mythical beings to die due to being cut off from their roots. After leaving Europe she becomes extremely ill/loses the color in her hair due to having this connection severed but due to her only having 50% of her blood from the Gray Wolves she thankfully survives. (I could be wrong on this part, but the Brian twin dies on the ship due to this in the novel)
(continue'd)

Too bad Japan doesn't like that kind of MC.

-America won the war due to a huge difference in technology. Apparently the New World (America ) was way ahead of the Old World in Technology. If you noticed in the last episode of the anime, the Americans had B-17 bombers while the Russians were using IS-2 tanks (produced in 1943/44 in our timeline) in the late 1920's. Assuming that most of the Axis powers were using WWI era tech still, they got completely BTFO'd, as shown by the ruins of both Japan and Sauville. Which leads into the next point.
-Post WW2 there's a huge leap in tech, we're talking 1960's era technology in the early 1930's. If you look at the cover of Gosick Pink, you can see what appears to be a Russian T-72 along with a typewriter and a radio model that's from the 1960's. On Red as well, you've got an AK-47 on the cover, and I really don't think it's a case of "let's just put some rifle on the cover". So, there's a pretty huge timeline divergence, which would probably be extremely interesting to read about if the novels ever got translated.

Of course they don't. Otaku can't self insert into a blue eyed blond haired British man who fought in WW1.

Only anime which mentioned my birth city

It's kinda like original FMA: Has a lot of great stuff but ends up too crazy.