Why is Japanese comedy superior to western comedy?

Why is Japanese comedy superior to western comedy?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=rQHrK7W7mGo
dailymotion.com/video/xujcwv
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>America is the entire west

Every other country in the west just wants to copy American productions so yeah.

I can't honestly say I find any anime funnier than Tom and Jerry, The Simpsons, or countless other American cartoons. But, that's just my opinion. Debate me, and you will lose.

The only American shows I find superior to Japanese ones are old Simpsons, Seinfield and Friends.

Japanese comedy is god awful.

Because American TV and film comedy comes from the assumption that the audience has either never heard the joke before or is stupid enough to have forgotten it (they often are).

Japan retells just as many jokes but it's typically under the assumption that the audience has heard it before and respects the joke, or has heard it before and expects the joke to go one way when the writers, playing the meta, make it go another.

That's how it's come to seem to me, than "western humor" relies on a lack of awareness of tropes and anime counts on them enough to name them inside of the series as meta commentary.

>No Gag Manga Biyori

Literally the pinnacle of human comedic achievement

>Japanese comedy is god awful.

What is row 2, column 3? Looks interesting.

I always confuse rows with columns but I assume you mean this one since the other option is a currently airing show and you should know by now.

The Japanese humor is mostly inferior and not the sole reason to watch any kind of anime, even the comedies. Over half the time for example the "straight man" in a setup joke has no purpose, commenting after the joke already delivered.

Rows: Left to Right, horizontal.
Columns: Up to down, vertical. Think Roman columns.

Anyways yeah I didn't mean Sakamoto-kun

anime has never actually made me laugh from comedy. it's fucking garbage comedy most of the time. American comedy shows are almost always better in some way.

It definitely isn't, Japanese humour can't touch the west and that goes for regular tv/variety shows as well as anime and manga. I can't imagine them ever coming up with something on the level of Arrested Development, the Simpsons, It's Always Sunny, the Office, Parks and Rec etc, and I wouldn't even say they're all at the top of Western comedy (they're just my personal favourites). Maybe it's because they don't get sarcasm/irony and are too stuck on tsukkomi and slapstick gags.

DUDE
WEED
LMAO

Sup Forums please go and take your shit taste with you

>muh Sup Forums boogeyman
You can fuck off now. I love UY, Tokimeki Tonight, cromartier high school and Shin-chan but they are far from stuff like Seinfeld, AD, CYE or even the old simpsons

>naming a bunch of obscure comedy anime no one cares about
Whatever you say mate.

I actually agree with this post.

>Shin-chan
>Cromartie
>Obscure

American cartoons have become the equivalent of meme-spouting retards. Anime is more "fresh"

>not knowing Tokimeki tonight and UY and the worst offender is not knowing cromartie
I really hope you are baiting.
Sup Forums was suppose to have high power levels and watch stuff like this and more

>forgettable slapstick humour
>funny

>watch deadpool expecting a good time
>it's just full of unfunny shit and memes

>it's just full of forced unfunny shit and memes
fixed

oh yeah? go look at their stand up comedy and come back and tell us if you still feel the same.

>Not having Osomatsu-san on there

Maybe it's just cultural deference's, but anime rarely makes me laugh, I get a chuckle at best, there has been times where anime has made me laugh hard, but it's very rare.

I see a worrying lack of Binbougami ga! here

Agreed, western standup comedy is superior in every way

youtube.com/watch?v=rQHrK7W7mGo

I wonder if Japan being so homogenous makes it easier to make the assumption that you know the joke? American productions are generally going to have an eye towards a much more diverse market.

The first time I watched shows like fumoffu and lucky star, I didn't know enough Japanese culture to get all of the references, but I was aware that they were there. That kind of thing has never bothered me (I'll look it up later if I really want to), but I know it pisses some people off enough to drop a show.

I see what you did there.

why to cherry pick your evidence. japanese stand up comedy, or manzai, is one of the most annoying bullshit you'll ever come across. if you don't think so, you've never experienced it yet.

>He didn't like Deadpool
The only unfunny thing here is your taste bro.

Deadpool was lame and I haven't used that word since forever.

>japanese ''''''comedy''''''
>the jokes are all based on wordplay

SHI
TSU
REI

It's a miracle how I managed to get through the Sketchbook manga. Literally every punchline had to be explained with a translator note.

Hmmm... that was pretty good.

Japanese's comedy is based on have been dropped two nuclear bombs and then assimilate a shit ton of English words. Shit even "kiss" is written キス (kisu) instead of a more original way.
That's funny.

Japanese comedy is fucking awful. That's the one thing they'll never beat western shows at.

And what is a more original way?

Like using 漢字(kanji) or かな(kana) maybe?

What is 口付け?

Japanese comedy has a lot more variety. There's everything from sketch comedy to stand-up, crazy variety projects and staples like dokkiri, oogiri,, monomane, batsu games and hinadan style talkshows.
The industry is also big enough to completely affect whole TV world, making use of comedians as TV hosts all over the places and having big yearly competitions for stand-up (M1), solo acts (R1) and even sketches (King of Konto) which can make comedians from literally who to celebrities in one night.

Have some stand-up that's nothing like the western "do a funny face and wait until the audience finally stops laughing".
dailymotion.com/video/xujcwv

The most common usage of tsukkomi is to explain the joke afterwards, so expecting everyone "already knows it" is not really the case. One thing that is true is the fact that audiences are much more familiar with comedic tropes and TV language, so comedians have to be more creative to survive.

カナ is kana too, retard.
Also, 口付け exists too, retard.

Onizuka is the nigga

Jesus christ what is that thing