Legend of the Galactic Heroes

Can somebody give me a run down on what to watch first?
I just found out about this show and I'm a sucker for the artstyle but there's like 5 anime adaptations.
Do I watch the first one (it's like a film prequel) and then the 110 Episode ova they made right after or is there a more recent adaptation that's better?

Just watch the anime from 1988 to 1997.
If there is something else in the title like "Arata Naru Tatakai no Overture" or "Senoku no Hoshi, Senoku no Hikari" you basically don't give a shit about it

sea of stars ---> main series

Dear Op, there is also an audiobook version

Watch the series first. Watch everything else after

Fuck, actually why do people ask this for so many series? Release order.

just watch the 110 eps then watch all the other ovas. it doesnt really matter

Am I the only one who find the first 3 episodes pretty boring? Once I got past them it's been full on marathon mode both times I've watched it.

The start is a bit of a slog when you're just getting into the series. It also doesn't help that they throw a ton of named characters at you right away.

I've only just finished episode 9, so I can't speak to the rest of the show, but I didn't have any particular issue with the first three episodes.

People actually watched the first 3 episodes? I thought the second movie made them redundant.

I hadn't seen the chart, so I just started with the 110ep OVA and planned to watch everything in release order.

Since it's a space opera (literally Star Wars the anime) you should start with the ova and then watch the prequel.

>I just found out about this show
You're supposed to lurk a year before posting.

tl;dr: just watch the main series (worry about the rest later)

>First off, the series isn't licensed (and likely never will be, due to reasons too complicated to explain here)
What are the reasons?

Always watch release order in any media

Always by production order.

sea of conquest

then main series

OVAs are trash

Its a niche franchise with 110 episodes and a huge cast

Music licensing.

Has anyone ever watched LotGH in the chronological order? Shows like Haruhi and Kara no Kyoukai are immensely improved that way, but the way the story is told in LotGH seems like that would make the beginning an even huger slog to get through.

user are you retarded like 90% of the music they use in LOGH is CC

Not the specific recordings.

SOOOOMEWHERE THERE'S A DREAM IN MY HEAAAART

>Golden Wings
GW does not exist, you pleb.

This whole DPRK congress thing has me wonder: is Reinhard technically considered a dictator?

Look at his hair.
Dictators don't have gorgeous flowing golden hair, they have silly mustaches.