Oh look it's Reddit spacing!

Hi everyone!

Meet "H.R.2359: The FCRA (Fair Credit Reporting Act) Liability Harmonization Act"

This bill was introduced in the US House of Representatives on May 4, 2017 (while Russian hackers were first snooping around in Equifax systems) and Referred to the Subcommittee on the Constitution and Civil Justice on June 7, 2017.

It was introduced by Loudermilk (R GA-11), Royce (R CA-39), Budd (R NC-13), King (R NY-2), and Wagner (R MO-2)

The bill would limit penalties for a Credit Reporting Bureau to the lesser of 1% of a victims net worth or $500,000, and would prohibit punitive damages.

A hearing was held on the bill last Thursday, the same day that Equifax announced that pretty much every single American household had their entire identity stolen including names, address history, work history, social security numbers, drivers license numbers, email addresses, passwords, and those little question/answer thingies for when you forget your password.

As a reminder, Equifax continues to seize more and more of your personal credit data in spite of this criminal negligence of your personal data, from lenders, employers, banks and other credit bureaus and there's not a damn thing you can do to stop it.

Of course, for a hack of this magnitude to have occurred would require either multiple terabytes to be offloaded from Equifax servers in a few hours with intimate knowledge of the entire IT architecture, or, thousands of spoofed and unauthorized IP addresses roaming about Equifax systems for months as hackers explored the network and slowly moved data daily.

Both scenarios imply possible collusion with one or more employees and definite lack of proper monitoring and oversight. To overhaul problems of this magnitude would take a multi billion dollar 6-18 month upgrade, so basically nothing has been fixed as Equifax continues to glean your personal information.

Anyhoo, at the Congressional hearing last Thursday, the bills author pointed out that lawsuits from situations like this can financially ruin businessmen like the CFO of Equifax who dumped his shares of Equifax for $1.8 million before even calling the cops. So, it's a fair point.

So if you support this fair, hands off, free market solution architected by our Republican friends in the House, be sure to give them your support. But if you'd rather stand by your family and personal reputation (seeing as how Equifax measures and sells your own personal reputation), maybe now would be a good time to threaten your Congressman with loss of a job in 2018 if this bill passes.

Here's the bill:
congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/2359/text?q={"search":["H.R. 2359"]}&r=1

I mean god forbid we actually talk politics on this board. White girls are dating black teenagers!

>Oh look it's Reddit spacing!
Hey, look. Someone who knows how to format a paragraph. It's been triggering autistic neckbeards who never learned basic grammar in between floor shits at home skoo.

Daily reminder that poor grammar is a sign of poor education and implies a weak mind.

It helps to lay our the info a little better. And have a title relevant to the topic.

>gigantic data breach exposes personal info of up to nearly half of the USA
>fraud protection ID verification still has to be explicitly requested instead of being enacted automatically as a safety precaution

hmmmm really makes me think

Bump for an actually important post

bump

Bump

wat ever u sai mader faker
ur mam is a kunt 2

I wonder (((who))) will benefit from such legislation?

Hopefully Equifax will get fucked and a new system of identification will be enacted because politicians themselves are among the victims of this hack.

why doesn't anybody care about this

We care, it's just what do we do about it? What CAN we do?

>revolt against jews
And then America's pet career soldiers (why do you think our stupid country has such a fuck huge military?) annhilate us

>kill equifax execs
See above, replace soldier with fucking pig

>stop using credit
And never ever be considered for a loan again for not playing by the jew rules

>protest
And be ignored and ridiculed by media as congress lines their pockets and the equifax execs walk away

>counterhack
Literally impossible thanks to the NSA and muh Patriot act, why do you think all these hackers are based in the 3rd world or China/RASHA?

I admire the spirit here but the issue is a huge blackpill. What cards do WE hold?

Loudermilk got in a car wreck and got injured on his way up to DC after the storm

I don't know. Equifax waited until natural disasters were all over the news to announce. I haven't heard anybody talk about it.

>the CFO of Equifax who dumped his shares of Equifax for $1.8 million before even calling the cops. So, it's a fair point.

Oh you didn't know about this?

Hackers breached Equifax in May (when this bill was introduced)

Equifax discovered that 143 million customer accounts were stolen in July.

When that discovery was reported, the CFO dumped his shares pretty much that same day. He netted a cool $1.8 million.

Then, in September, he called the cops and was like "oh hey btw we got hacked".

That's wat

We could retire to become NEETs and play vidya. Starving them of the cash flow.

Not a retarded idea but we'd need at least a few million people to make it effective

Here's what pisses me off about this. See, I'm a Senior BI and data warehousing engineer. I know big data. And 143 million accounts, is big data.

Not records. Accounts. Not rows in a spreadsheet. Accounts. 143 million people's credit history, rental/address history, payroll data, etc.

This is really really big data.

Either it was all moved in one day. Meaning, oh I don't know, 10-50 terabytes worth of data moved across the fucking pipe out of Equifax systems.

And nobody noticed.

And nobody said "hey how come they knew how to get all the exact information and run exactly the right queries?"

Or.

Thousands of spoofed IP addresses from various cloud-driven zombie clients sniffed all over the network, for months. (Years?)

They documented the network and db architecture, and carefully spooned small bits of data out the door for months (years?) using thousands of unauthorized IP addresses and deprecated or unauthorized system account names ...

AND NOBODY FUCKING NOTICED THE HORDE OF STRANGERS MINGLING ALL OVER THE GOD DAMN NETWORK!

Frankly I'd be shocked if there wasn't a man ok the inside helping them.

But to patch a vulnerability of this magnitude would take easily 6-18 months for an entirely new Greenfield project, and cost many hundreds of millions of dollars in new hardware, new software, licensing, development, testing, and training.

They clearly haven't gotten there between last Thursday and now.

If this was a chemical plant they'd be shut the fuck down.

Not only is Equifax allowed to keep doing business, you've got these five Republican assholes writing legislation to protect Equifax from getting sued THE SAME FUCKING DAY HACKERS FIRST BROKE IN TO EQUIFAX!

We need to demand that Congress declare a state of emergency and shut Equifax down. They're a god damn liability.

Literally every single working American household has been doxxed. Think about that.

this is insane

meh I might care more if I hadn't already been doxxed by the opm breach. The only solution is to completely check out of society and stop doing productive work. Sign up for all benefits, try to get on disability etc. Be a leech to hasten the demise.