Jobs and Boomers

Just graduated from a prestigious university in Canada, I check the job market for electronics engineers and i see this shit.
5-8 years experience required for an entry level position what the fuck is this shit. Anyone else experiencing this?

Pretty much par for the course bro. It's all about risk-aversion.

To the company, you are a complete unknown. Maybe you know what you're doing, maybe you're a complete fuck-up. They have absolutely no way to tell other than to hire you and see whether or no you're a good worker. Problem is, is that if you're a complete jerk-off you could ruin all sorts of expensive equipment and cause massive cost-overruns and delays whereas if you're a good worker they don't really see much benefit over and above what they are already getting. And if you're a fuck-up they can't get rid of you easily due to all the retarded labor laws we have. Could take months or years to fire you, with the possibility of legal costs if you're a snowflake.

So they do the sensible thing and avoid the risk you represent as a fresh graduate. They instead seek out someone who has many years of experience - too many years to have just faked competence.

>So they do the sensible thing and avoid the risk you represent as a fresh graduate. They instead seek out someone who has many years of experience - too many years to have just faked competence.
okay so how do i gain experience after graduation, i have completed 2 years of co-op jobs and i have been working on research projects for 3 years part time while at the university.

You basically need to know people who can get you work

apply anyways, they do that to weed out the retards, also they may not need anyone.

>To the company, you are a complete unknown. Maybe you know what you're doing, maybe you're a complete fuck-up.
What's funny is that this used to not happen before affirmative action and student loans became a thing.

If you graduated college before all this garbage, everyone KNEW you were competent because college was fucking hard.

>okay so how do i gain experience
What this guy said:
Education is of secondary importance to social connections. It is the true redpill. You are told to study, learn, work hard, and that intelligence and knowledge are ultimate power. This is a lie. Ultimate power is sociability, charisma, and family connections.

College IS still hard, look at the pic. Even in the humanities people can't hack it.

Green bar segments are dropouts, almost 50% of 20-24 year olds, which means people are dropping out when they are Juniors/Seniors

>he went to college, spent thousands of dollars and now can't get a job

Meanwhile i never went to college, never had thousands of dollars or debt, started out at 21$ an hour (go up a dollar each year until I hit 26$ an hour), medical, dental and vision, retirement plan, don't work weekends, no overtime UNLESS I WANT TO, work 4 hours a day, sit on my assignment the other 4 hours doing nothing (unless the school has some sort of activity going on like a dance or district meeting).

Only con to this? I'm a custodian (janitor) at a high school. I honestly could care less but it has the social stigma attached to it.

Oops wait, just saw the title lololol, 50% dropout if they start at 20 or above, interesting.

>third year in first year
>10+k debt
>stem meme
exit bag?

Welcome to the real world faggot

>6 year outcomes
good goy get a 6 year degree and give me 50% more shekels

Keep on doing your thing bro, you're doing better than most Millennials.

I actually think we've hit a point where a college degree hinders you.

I blame HR. Degrees have been devalued by societal opinions, not real value. HR is staffed by No-Schoolers, Women with easy degrees, and disgruntled people.

HR is who writes the job ad, they don't know how to do this. They don't know what the job really entails, and they certainly don't know the curriculum of every program at every school.

So you clean shit? And toilets? Used by other people?

>Ultimate power is sociability, charisma, and family connections.
ah so if i were to be a chad i could get a job as a hardware engineer without any background in the field. Right, ill keep applying anyway. My statement was the fact that asking 8+ years for entry level is bullshit, it makes the company look irrational in my books.
If they want to weed out the retards they usually have 3-4 interviews and a problem application. Which is what every job i have ever had in the field did.

>I actually think we've hit a point where a college degree hinders you.
B.Eng nope, anything else especially B.Art yes

>get your welding ticket bro

In all seriousness though, college doesn't teach you anything, it gives foundations to build on, but most people don't built upon it.

trades are not any easier than engineering, there are thousands of applicants for 1-2 trades jobs. Its a flooded market where the only thing that matters is who you know.
Software and Hardware engineering are different and more metacritic

*meritocratic

why pay for it then?

youtube has lectures from fucking stanford and other much more knowledgeable sources of information than shitty college classes.

To be fair it took me 4 years and 3 quarters to graduate even by doing everything correctly.

6-years is becoming pretty standard.

Here's the set of problems:
1)Class sequencing
2)Class sizes
3)Classes aren't offered every quarter, some of yearly

They even switch requirements on our program one year, where normally you could take 2 sequenced courses concurrently, but then someone decided they should be offset, where you could take A1-B1 concurrently, but then you needed B2 before you could take A2.

Now because you couldn't take A2, you couldn't take C1. That one decision pushed me back for a couple of quarters.

>he went to stem for money and not for knowledge
Wagecucks, when will they learn

The only solution - to make own business.

>there are thousands of applicants for 1-2 trades jobs
kys
literally not true

calm your nose down there gold berg, I am not in it for the money i am in it for the job availability and abundance. Or at least i was, until i read a few employers asking for an insane amount of experience.
It's similar to women on tinder, if you are above average or below you are fucked. Chads need only apply

>why pay for it then?
In theory, for accreditation. While having a piece of paper isn't much good these days, it's still considerably better than showing up to an interview for a highly skilled position and saying you watched some youtube videos.

I retired at 44 after 17 years of periodically performing radio checks to declare that nothing was on fire.

I've been retired for 2 years now, and I still can't help taking my work naps.

Chem engy, biomed engy, mechnical engy, electrical engy would like to speak with you.

In all seriousness this is the problem. This is flat out false. This is why "entry level" requires 4 years of professional experience.

College literally teaches(and tests) all the theory and basic skills you need, most programs go above and beyond the basics.

But motherfuckers like you perpetuate this lie.

where do you live? alberta is fucked for trades men right now same with rest of the prairies.

>6-years is becoming pretty standard.
thats because they dont fail anyone now, they would rather keep you to take more money from you.

not failing anyone = much lower standards.

if it took you more than 4 years then you got jewed and you should have failed out.

eastern ontario

>thats because they dont fail anyone now, they would rather keep you to take more money from you.
>not failing anyone = much lower standards.
>if it took you more than 4 years then you got jewed and you should have failed out.

I actually agree with this burger, i know students who were in my course for 7 years+ these fuckers didnt even get co-op jobs. I highly doubt they will get a real job upon graduation.

Welcome to the real world kid

> (You)
>eastern ontario
REEEE cheap housing and an abundance of jobs wtf? last time i checked the eastern provinces had the highest unemployment rate.

Depends on why it took so long.

If it's because they're repeating courses, you have a semblance of a point.

If it's because of the things I listed, that's literally not the students' fault.

I went to a really good university. You apply to the school, get accepted. But you aren't in your major yet. You have to take intro courses(and do well above average), write personal statements etc and apply separately to your intended major.

That's really cruel because a lot of those kids could have majored in what they wanted had they gone somewhere else, no questions asked. So they were stuck at a university where they couldn't major in their interests.

But it did weed out people who can't hack it.

>If it's because of the things I listed, that's literally not the students' fault.
all the problems you mentioned only happen because people fail a critical course but they still keep you in to take your money.

its all done on purpose to keep you in as long as possible.

Bump

No

Limited class sizes, means everyone who needs the course doesn't get to take it when they need it. This is compounded by sequencing. This is extra compounded by some classes only being offered ONCE per year.

>500 students need the course
>It seats 150
>You need it to take another course after
>Graduating senior priority registration kicks in, 80% of the class is seniors
>Try again next Fall kiddos!

welcome to hell
>tfw can't get a call back

They generally make sure its at least POSSIBLE to graduate on time as long as you dont fail anything.

That being said, if they do that then its a pretty obvious scam, I also dont expect them to have standards either.