What does Sup Forums think about this man?

What does Sup Forums think about this man?

Other urls found in this thread:

webdelprofesor.ula.ve/humanidades/elicap/en/uploads/Biblioteca/bdz-e.version.pdf
www-dev.wisdompubs.com/sites/default/files/preview/Nagarjuna's-Middle-Way-Book-Preview-R.pdf
holybooks.com/wp-content/uploads/Heart-Diamond-and-Lankavatara-Sutras.pdf
archive.is/ljGCX
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

i sniffed my sister's tampon today

Friendship ended with Dalai Lama, Now Ashin Wirathu is my best friend

I asked why China considers him a terrorist, and even pointed out his supposed sympathy for Islam.

I recently read a review saying it has barred the development of Tibet.

Can you post your hand

He's a pretty cool guy. I don't really get the point of holding him in high regard, from a Buddhist perspective, since one of the basic tenets is non-attachment. Seems like considering him the reincarnation of Avalokiteshvara and therefore making him holy is attachment. But what do I know? Still a cool guy.

Tibetan Buddhism is false. Theravada is better

Burn with me

Funny cool guy. Tibet is in part a CIA operation, but he's good at saying things that are in keeping with being the leader of is ideology.

Seems nice.

Eh Dalai Lama is a pretty cool guy. Wears rolex and doesn't afraid of anything

Theravada is a dead lineage that people in the 1850s reconstructed from texts rediscovered by Europeans.

Modern Theravada techniques are like ~100 years old and have no relationship to old Theravada. Most of then explicitly contradict the old Theravada texts.

Furthermore Theravada itself is one of the last of the early 18-20 traditions to even form. It is so late on the scene that pro-Theravada scholars say that early Mahayana polemics against Hinayana can't even apply to Theravada because it didn't even exist yet.

You bought into a politically charged meme pushed by Theravadans to re-write themselves into earlier history by conflating themselves with the Sthaviras. Virtually all modern scholar accepts this as bullshit.

>I don't really get the point of holding him in high regard, from a Buddhist perspective, since one of the basic tenets is non-attachment.

Holding someone in high regard =/= attachment.

> Seems like considering him the reincarnation of Avalokiteshvara

Only uneducated Tibetan peasants actually believe this. Tibetan culture is one of the most hyperbolic there is and you really have to be careful in taking intentional hyperbole as a literal, academic assertion. This kind of cultural difference trips most Westerners up.

Old dude placed into his position with a creepy tradition.

great points user

But Avalokiteshvara has manifested in Dalai Lama XIV, as he does in the hearts and minds of all those who look at the world in compassion.

Pls rec some further reading on this.

He's Dope, Yo.

Another religious salesman.

>as he does in the hearts and minds of all those

I get what you're saying, there is no 'he', no there there. 'He' is just upaya hyperbole, it serves a purpose and then is disregarded. The vast, vast majority of discussions of deities, yidams, and buddhas are just a method to exaggerate various mental propensities in the minds of sentient beings.

It is actually fairly uncommon to find discussions of literal external Buddhas that were once sentient beings. For example of the 5 kinds of Samantabhadras, only one refers to an actual being out there in the external universe.

This also doesn't mean that the deities themselves exist in the bodies and minds of sentient beings, as this is considered a Mahayoga deviation and is explicitly rejected in Anuyogatantrayana and Atiyogatantrayana, the highest tantra classes.

This is made increasingly clear in the advanced traditions and this is something the Dalai Lama himself has stated he believes during a Mind and Life conference. Namely that he doesn't believe there deities out there in some place.

Nonetheless, the line of thinking you are talking about can still be very useful in practice, but ultimately it is a deviation.

Fuck him, good on China to civilize Tibet(or at least bring it to the level of the Han Chinese)

The face of Buddhist terror

Exactly, but expedient means are tremendously meritable, if the virtue, mental development, and generosity are achieved and maintained then even this derivation from the essence of the teaching has the potential to usher man into Bodhisattva-hood in the most genuine way.

Also, Avalokiteshvara, I believe, is the Key to uniting Christianity and Vajrayana, and even potentially advaita vedanta thought

He's a feminist and therefore a cuck.

This started with Les Sectes Bouddhiques du Petit Véhicule by André Bareau published in 1955, when he began to debunk the Theravada meme.

You can look into the works of modern scholars like Ronald Davidson, Tillman Vetter, Geoffrey Samuel, and Gregory Schopen.

This field is still small and in its early phase, but there is still a lot of published material so takes some effort to seriously go through it.

I would also look into the Gandhāran texts, especially the split collection published by Falk and Karashima. This coupled with what early Pali texts have survived paints a troubling picture for the lateness of Pali texts in general.

We have a scrap from 8-9th century Nepal, a handful of texts from the 15th century, with the earliest collection of the entire cannon only dating to the 1800s. The rest has been theoretically pieced together from other non-theravadan cannons, which should be troubling to anyone who adhered to ideas of early Theravada preserving something.

...especially since the earliest Buddhist text ever discovered is a Mahayana Prajnaparamita Sutra.

Anyway, probably the most redeeming thing I can say is that best case specific small collection of short suttas in the Pali Canon corresponds with early non-Theravada collections and through textual criticism and comparing it with early Brahmanical ideas, has a low, but possible chance of reflecting some teachings of the historical Buddha. These however don't themselves reflect the Theravadan doctrines that set Theravada apart from the pre-Theravadan schools.

I also recommend this book for Buddhist noobs in general:

webdelprofesor.ula.ve/humanidades/elicap/en/uploads/Biblioteca/bdz-e.version.pdf

None of the paraphrasing and dumbing down found in other introductions, and covers the general thrust of so much in a serious manner.

>China
>Civilized

>this is the chink definition of terrorist

www-dev.wisdompubs.com/sites/default/files/preview/Nagarjuna's-Middle-Way-Book-Preview-R.pdf

holybooks.com/wp-content/uploads/Heart-Diamond-and-Lankavatara-Sutras.pdf

Worth a read user, seriously, for anyone

A used up CIA stooge describes them quite fully.

Most overrated person in the world. Everything the guy says is just superficial common sense/ rephrased old sayings, and normies think it's the most profound shit ever.

His spiritual advisor for a couple decades is a close family friend. He said I was closer to Buddha than His Holiness.

same bullshit as the pope. dog and pony show for normies.

Jews promote the hell out of him. Like Mandela. They should both be drawn and quartered.

Thupten Jinpa Langri is probably closer to enlightenment than Dalai tbqhwy

On one had I dislike him since he's basically a CIA stooge. On the other hand, I like him because he pisses off the Chinese government so much.

>but expedient means are tremendously meritable

I generally agree.

>has the potential to usher man into Bodhisattva-hood in the most genuine way

This really depends on what critera one is using to delineate bodhisattva-hood. For example, is it cultivating a moment of the mind of awakening, is it stabilizing the mind of awakening, is it practicing the first path or is it achieving the first bhumi? It could also be considered having vidya of the nature of mind?

I know of some texts that speak in the long term and are based on the teleology of the kosha that go as far as to say that all sentient beings eventually contemplate the bodhisattva ideal and all achieve a form of temporary awakening by the end of an eon, but most return to the cause in the next eon and so become sentient beings again. Then it distinguishes the actual goal as "buddhahood that doesn't return to the cause".

>Key to uniting Christianity and Vajrayana, and even potentially advaita vedanta thought

I generally don't support perennialist ventures. Too often there is a lot of hand-waving and unaddressed axioms slipped in order to 'make it work'. In the details critical tenants have to go one way or another and can't be reconciled without one enveloping the other.

Thing is, the actual enlightened won't tell you that they are, nor will they make themselves known easily.

They have to be sought.

Why should they be drawn and quartered, exactly? Please elaborate on the crimes you think they commited to deserve said punishment.

You retard. You know slavery was a thing in Tibet right?

China went in and civilised that shit.

Since China controls the Panchen Lama, they will get to pick the next Dalai Lama.

Based af, clearly 100x better than Pope Foot-fetish
>"Too many refugees are going to Germany"
archive.is/ljGCX

>You know slavery was a thing in Tibet right?
>China went in and civilised that shit.
Fuck off memeflag they live in modern day Chattel Slavery.

ID is sage.. Im freaking the fuck out right now..

this
dalai lama: islam is peace, don't kill rohingyas
tibetans: REMOVE

>www-dev.wisdompubs.com/sites/default/files/preview/Nagarjuna's-Middle-Way-Book-Preview-R.pdf

That Siderits translation is really clunky.

For example the opening is better translated as:

I prostrate to the most sublime of teachers,
the Perfect Buddha,
by whom dependent origination —
not ceasing nor arising,
not annihilated nor permanent,
not going nor coming,
not different nor the same,
the pacification of proliferation — was demonstrated as peace.

Compare that to the opening lines of the Sideritis translation...

I would recommend looking into 'Ornament Of Reason: The Great Commentary To Nagarjuna's Root Of The Middle Way' instead.

As for the second link, several of those are iffy translations of east-asian sutras that push ideas fringe to Mahayana generally. For example the Lanka is a heavily edited text with many authors, at time pushing a kind of topical Buddhism that is directly contradicted by the earliest Indian literature. It is also without context, for example when it talks about a universal mind, most westerners will take that as an ontological assertion rather than a phenomenological one (it is the latter since it is a cittamatrin view that is being discussed).

The vast majority of Dalai Lamas had virtually no political power, nor saw much of the public.

Yes there were brutal conditions at times, both pushed on the peasants and between the wealthy clans as well as the religious institutions themselves, who were often lap-dogging to the most powerful patrons.

For example, Dalai isn't even a Tibetan word, it is a Mongolian word and stems from the Gelugpas seeking patronage from the outsider Mongol Khan.

That said, there were upsides to the system, for one there was upward mobility for any bloodline, as almost all families had members that went to elite monastic colleges, which was furthered by the tulku institution.

Secondly, there was a traditional right to land and resources for the peasants, and they needed to work much less of the year to survive.

All of that is gone, including the traditional right to land and access to resources, which has resulted thus far in the majority of Tibetans going into relatively deeper poverty.

I believe it would have been better for the populace if China had never invaded, because the Dalai Lama was very slowing gaining political power (on track to accruing more than the previous 9 before him) and was very interested in opening up Tibet to the West.

wicked, thanks user,

I refer to attainment of the tenth Bhumi, The Cloud of Dharma, in which even our human imperfection of concept can actually facilitate the manifestation and the promulgation of the utmost truth, universally, due to the nature of our existence.

om mani padme hum

i will have to interject and mention the process of reform itself is usually the main cause of dynasty/ incumbent/ whatever collapse, this includes the arab spring and the ussr (liberalization led to price fluctuations and collapse)
like any external invader, it will only work if there's at least a minority that supported it (see libya), otherwise, it would become a fight until extinction (see vietnam) - it would be logical to conclude there is a minority of tibetans who sympathize with the communist cause

tragic, but welcome to human history

Hes a cuck