Hunter X Hunter

I've read this over and over and I still don't get it. It was stated that nen can grow more powerful depending on the pledge you put on it and the consequences you have to receive after using it. At first I thought this has to be set up beforehand but Gon never did any of this and just set up the pledge when he saw Pitou charging at him and suddenly he got this super mode where he's even more powerful than the king (according to Pitou's monologue) and then suffer from close-to-die mummified condition after using it.

What I don't get is that why don't all nen users do this when they're about to die? I mean they're about to die, so getting mummified would be better than that with the possibility of a nen eraser like Nanika curing them. So don't you think killing the enemy would at least be better than doing nothing? For Netero I get it since he got the Rose but this always bothers me.

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/?ujfpyfxyv9a63
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

If I understand it right, even if Netero didn't have the rose, he still wouldn't be able to do what Gon did, Gon took all the potential he'd ever have in his whole life, Netero had already reached his potential and was on the decline, so it wouldn't have worked.

Gon was planning it the entire time. He had loads of potential and was stewing in his rage for weeks, this isn't something you come up with on the fly.

>do this when they're about to die?
When you are going to die you only think about saving your ass. According to my headcanon, Nen buff only happens when you are so fucked up that you don't care about your life for real, which is the opposite of surviving instinct.

>Gon took all the potential he'd ever have in his whole life
okay I'll concede to that but I was thinking abut other people besides Netero. For example Ponzu and the Archer Guy when they were killed by the chimera ants. Ponzu even got killed with a fucking gun. Are you telling me they don't have any potential whatsoever?

>At first I thought this has to be set up beforehand
It might take some time if it's something complex like what Kurapika is doing, "I want my Nen to be able to do A and B, in exchange I'll respect conditions C and D or I'll die"
Gon's pledge is just "Make me strong enough to kill Pitou, I don't care what happens after, I'll sacrifice anything."

Did either of them even know about nen?

Straight out of your ass.

Why cant people admit Togashi made shit up on the fly just like any shitshonen.

See Pay attention and stop speed reading.

Just because you have "some" potential doesn't mean you'd be able to do the same thing as Gon.

Because not all of them want to depend on death wish type ability. Any reasonable person would simply use a nen ability that would augment what they already do without much recourse.

Imagine this, you are asked to choose between the two.

>Get $1000 every month for rest of your life
>Get $1,000,000 for a day and then you die the day after
What would you choose?

>pic with nothing but edgy dialogue
Stop bullshitting people with your delusion.

Oh, you're a complete retard. My bad.

>Because not all of them want to depend on death wish type ability
no no this is a separate thing entirely. Gon's main ability is Jajanken. This is just a spur-of-the-moment contract.

fucking really.

>Did either of them even know about nen?
Arrow guy used nen bow and arrow. Come on man.

Fine, did either of them know about nen contracts

Yeah keep going with your poor delusion. I bet you will defend every asspull Togashi made like Rose's poison or Nanika's ability.

>What I don't get is that why don't all nen users do this when they're about to die? I mean they're about to die, so getting mummified would be better than that with the possibility of a nen eraser like Nanika curing them. So don't you think killing the enemy would at least be better than doing nothing?

Because it takes time and a specific mental state to go "Now I'm just dead without any possible way of salvation, better fuck me over in the greatest possible way". It's way more common to suddenly get killed while you're still holding onto hope that you'll manage to survive somehow.
Also it could just not be as simple as it looks.

what's got you butthurt, OP?

Killua is cute!

If you ask me, the Gon transformation was building for a while. From the point on he was ultrapissed and serious, he was preparing for something like that. And from what i get, you also need to have 100% conviction into doing that. So someone who might not be 100% sure about doing it just would not be able to do it.

I mean even in the face of death not everyone would throw his life away. Everyone clings to that little hope.

God, Killua is so beautiful. I want to be friends with him so badly.

I need an adult

Was it worth the weight?

This is 18+ site OP.

Nen is dependent on mind set. Gon's state of mind after seeing Kite in that state is what triggered the power. He didn't need to make a pledge out loud. He simply wanted to kil Pitou so bad that his desire was enough.

Other nen users have, though. Cheeto when he was cornered by Morel created a Nen ability on the spot. But, nen is very circumstantial. So, things may not play out in that fashion all the time. So, it depends.

Holy shit, no one thought this kid needed to talk to someone?

Gon really could have used Pika and Leorio.
He had no emotional support in that situation. None.

Just finished the 2011 anime, which chapter should I pick up?

>implying he missed my heart

Chapter 1. The 2011 misses shit ton of stuff and is a poor adaptation.

Do you know who this is? No? Chapter 1.

Chapter 1 if you want the full story, especially since 2011 removed things that are coming into play right now.

What does Gyro has to do with Gon?

Chapter 1.

They're fated to meet and very obviously parallel each other.

Good, this is why you read the manga, animeonlys don't get it.

Probably. He must've turned the question of how he'd beat Pitou over in his head constantly. It's natural he'd choose the one way of swiftly gaining huge power he's familiar with.

>Not realizing that both the 1999 and 2011 anime both have their own strengths and weaknesses, and one is not better than the other

I think the artist who drew that made '99 Pitou too cute, though.

I'm not anime-only, but how are they paralleled? Isn't it the opposite as Gyro is complete evil?

>gyro had a shit childhood
>gon had a happy one
>gyro grew up with a father
>gon grew up without one
>gyro's life really began when he decided to get rid of his father
>gon begins his journey to search for his father

Here's me, being an idiot and forgetting what parallels mean.
Thanks for clearing that up for myself.

It isn't 99 vs 2011 picture but what fans expected and what we got one.

So? I mean, it's not that different.

Okay I will answer simplier.
>why don't all nen users do this when they're about to die?
Coz Gon has such unique powerful peronality. Read whole manga again, see how amazed everyone are at what Gon do and what he thinks.
He just has it. This quality. The ability to do such tricks.
And others don't have it.
It's this simple, so you got it? (sorry english isn't my native, but i hope you understand)

Gyro arc is going to be interesting for sure.

But when the hell is it going to happen? Doubt he'd be at all relevant this arc. And it's inevitable we'll have at least two hiatus' before this arc finishes.

Don't bother OP.
HxH fans are the most obsessively defensive fanbase on this board. These people believe their manga to be above shonen tropes despite it using them quite a decent bit.

There is a reason why every HxH thread is complete shit even now that the anime has ended. The hardcore fans are either into shota or are just autist waiting to sperg out.
You can ask anyone else on Sup Forums and they will agree that these threads are complete shit.

With the Meteor City stuff becoming relevant again I'm not too sure now. Maybe this fight is more set-up for it.
Gyro is supposedly heading to Meteor City where he will probably build his empire.

Get your mind out of that 99vs2011 gutter.

>These people believe their manga to be above shonen tropes

No that's what reddit thinks, nobody thinks that here. HxH is at best when it's moving within shounen tropes.

No, I mean the two sides in look basically the same, albeit with some alternate artistic interpretations.

Actually looking through this thread it is much better than most HxH threads.
I guess because its not American hours or something.
Whatever it is this is actually a pretty reasonable thread with the speedreading and 99' meme at a minimum.

>look basically the same

Only thing same is the characters in it, not even close.

2011 by far, Pitou looks way better, that sketched Killua and look at the hate in Gons eyes. Perfect.

I'm confused about this picture, did Pitou appear in the '99? Or did someone recreate the style of the anime for comparison?

Why do so many retards ask this so often? How stupid do you have to be not to understand a battle shounen?
It wasn't a last resort, it was Gon trying to kill himself and take Pitou with him. It's also not something he came up with on the fly, it was all his hopes and guilt he built up for months that were crushed. It's not like he said "shit i'm about to die, might as well kill the cat too".
Not to mention not everyone is an enhancer or has as much potential to trade as Gon does. He's a kid too so that's his entire life he was throwing away.

Also Netero did something sort of similar with Zero hand.

>nukes being radioactive is an asspull
Did you drop out of high school or something?

Viz user here. Viz scans just released. I'm working on them now.

Thanks.

>What I don't get is that why don't all nen users do this when they're about to die?
Conviction and resolution. Most people don't have that kind of will power.

New chapter is up.

mediafire.com/?ujfpyfxyv9a63

Who is best girl and why is it Kurapika chan.

Kill yourself.

No u

Don't call him kurapika-chan again you faggot

"Magnificient" is kind of better translation but "I love it" is great too.

Other hunters have seen their friends die in front of them or felt other "strong emotions" and did not suddenly become stronger than Netero as a result like Gon did.

Your explanation is shit. The asspull is still an asspull.

Pika-chan is the cutest.

>i love it
It should be as you said, either "magnificent" or "wonderful". God viz is shit sometimes

>But, nen is a tool for asspulls. So, things might not play out in that fashion all the time. So it depends.
FTFY

You didn't have to reply twice.

>Gon was the first person in the hunter world to have his hopes crushed or to lose a friend in battle.

Wow, I didn't realize he lived in a utopia before the chimera ant arc.

I didn't know every orphan in hunter x hunter was latently stronger than netero.

Oh wait they aren't, it's just Gon, it's just an asspull.

How convenient for you to ignore the rest of my post.

Almost the entirety of your post was fanfiction.

No other character has been shown becoming stronger than Netero just because his feelings were hurt.

It's not a consistent in world mechanic. It's an asspull just for gon, including his being healed afterward.

Yeah I think I actually like niggastream's translation more

Did you miss the part where they kept saying Gon had immense latent power through the entire series you fucking spastic? How does it feel to be so retarded you can't follow a manga aimed at kids?

>Almost the entirety of your post was fanfiction.
Did you even read the manga or are you so stupid that you can't understand a series that spoonfeeds all information to the reader?

What was fanfiction about it? Are you stupid?

Wait I thought it was a nen sacrifice ritual and not latent power that explained Gon's powerup. I guess it just switches based on what's convenient for you.

It's both you fucking mongoloid. He used severe restrictions to be able to reach the peak of his potential.
>nen sacrifice ritual
What the fuck is that anyway?

I love it fits the boner however.

It was a sacrifice of his latent power.
How do you not get that?

>what the fuck is that anyway?
>It wasn't a last resort, it was Gon trying to kill himself and take Pitou with him.

If a nen eraser can reverse it then it's basically just being able to go stronger than netero at will.

No, i mean what is a nen sacrifice ritual. What ritual are you talking about?
Gon lost his nen and it's absolutely not at will, the circumstances were very specific.

Do you need prior warning for every single nen ability that shows up? Why is this any different? It's an extreme power with an extreme sacrifice that follows the rules. Other characters could hypothetically do the same thing but they don't because most don't have Gon's potential to sacrifice and are unlikely to have the genuine will to sacrifice themselves. You can't just half ass a contract like that, Gon had been stewing over it for ages.

>very specific circumstances
>he has to be really mad

>If a nen eraser can reverse it
They couldn't.

He wasn't even mad, he was more desperate and lost in guilt than anything. He was completely stoic when it was happening and even broke into tears.
Can you try expressing coherent thoughts without greentexting or are you just this retarded?

You guys are setting yourself up for disappointment.

How?

Gyro is gonna happen!