youtube.com/watch?v=PjrKKnwltZo
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ages_of_consent_in_Asia#Japan
youtu.be/CMNxDMNO6YI
youtube.com/watch?v=rtKTz21hV30
youtube.com/watch?v=p0yvXf7Iuvw
youtube.com/watch?v=Q-AHUFHHNXw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I want to be one with Anthy.

Genuinely a masterpiece, I like and identify with it more than Eva.

I really need to rewatch it and supplement each episode viewing with reading essays and analyses online so I don't miss anything.

Newfag here and to animes in general. My mate adviced to watch this, I started but had soo weird vibes its hard to describe really. Are all anime similiar in this aspect?

>animes

no

it's kinda like FLCL if you think about it

Up to episode 10, its good but still has the classic 90s stuff like random filler and that monkey that want to kill, but it also make me think if i should have watched sailor moon or sakura or other shoujo stuff before making this my first shoujo.

>thoughts on this Sup Forums?
Revolutionary Animu.

I love Ikuhara.

He's batshit crazy, but he's a fabulous director.

Them car scenes are still some of my favorites. Really like the sound track there.

youtube.com/watch?v=PjrKKnwltZo

I think the shoujo predecessor that influenced it most was Rose of Versailles, which is worth a watch if you haven't seen it. Less abstract but Utena's narrative and overall style owes a lot to it.

I hadn't seen many others before and it gets pretty great, some really stand out episodes in the back half compared to the pretty formulaic first arc.

A lot of RoV's greatness was Osamu Dezaki's direction.
It is a bit of a chore for a modern audience to watch since it's jam packed with tropes that have now become cliches in the shoujo genre, but it was one of the primary series responsible for doing them well enough that they would become copied to the point of cliche.
Still a great series.

ピュール・キノ

Reminder that Akio did nothing wrong.

Love it to fucking bits. Same with Penguindrum.

It's so fucking good I rewatch it at least once a year since I first watched it at thirteen. After I watched for the first time I ecame kind of obsessed with it for a while, thought about it everyday at least once.

I think what makes it really fantastic is how it starts off really innocent (even though there are some hints of what's to come right at the start, and they are brilliant), in a way that disarms you. You start off seeing characters more as shoujo esteroetypes than actual people, then, as you get introduced to them better, you start to like them a lot, and feel for them as their traumas get introduced. Then, when their darker sides get introduced, you try to racionalize the bad things they do, even when their actions start hurting other characters you like just as much. It's genius.

The way Anthy's whole reveal completly recontextualizes the whole series, making the originally bright ending to the first arc into a kind of sad prelude of things to come is also fucking fantastic. Never have I seen that done so effectively out side of maybe System Shock 2

he slept with a minor

He slept with a lot of minors.

>slept

I had that thought as soon as I hit submit on my last post

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ages_of_consent_in_Asia#Japan

Everyone is 18 and over?

trips confirm, literally a masterpiece that must be watched with supplemental readings

i really like it once i got through it, dropped around 12 for a year then finished. i like ikuhara's other shows a little more, but this is definitely bettter than most of the shit i've seen airing in the last two years

I'd argue that only Akio, Touga, Utena x Anthy, and Shiori are -really- bisexual, and only Akio and Anthy -really- incestuous.
Everything else is kind of taken out of context because of... flavor.
But there's a lot of flavor.

>Kozue
>Bisexual
Based on what? I really can't recall.

She tries to sex up Anthy during Miki's second duel.
Nevermind that she hates Anthy and is doing it to sabotage Miki's attention.

youtu.be/CMNxDMNO6YI

>that soundtrack
>that soft, tender voice acting
>that fountain
Jesus, I really should watch this.

soundtrack is exceptional, now that i think about it. this thread is really making a rewatch seem necessary, guess its time to redownload

thoughts on this Sup Forums?

>random filler
>not loving Nanami

ああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああ

one of my favorite anime, hands down. it's funny that eva got big with the normies because of DEEP INTRICATE SYMBOLISM when 95% of it is superficial nonsense. utena still has a lot of that but also had layers and layers of content worth analyzing

youtube.com/watch?v=rtKTz21hV30

I don't understand why people insist on calling Mikage gay when he is clearly bisexual. The main reason he when all crazy with the fire was seeing Tokiko with Akio. He clearly was in love with Tokiko and then projected those feelings into "Mamiya".

My only thought is Why aren't you using the fucking BD?

wakaba best girl

No wait, maybe he was Chida-sexual and could only have feelings for the Chida siblings.

Best jeep*
Best onion*

Jury's whole backstory made me sad.

Episodes 19 and 20 (her part of the black rose arc) remain my absolute favourite parts of the show. Absolutely devastating, she's such an amazing character. Onion Prince is equally good despite lack of screen time; his elevator confession thing was absolutely brilliant. When these repetitive mahou shoujo shows shake up their formulas it can be pretty hard-hitting.

ZETTAI

Chida sexual

No, Chida-sexual you degenerate.

Overrated shit.

begone

UNMEI

So did Tsuwabuki want to bang Nanami or his classmate

It's good.

But I think Penguindrum is better.

I know this is an unpopular opinion.

Also, Yurikuma was pretty disappointing...should have been 2-cours or not done at all.

>I've watched anime for more than 10 years and yet I have never seen it

Is this from the Sega Saturn game?

Yes.

Anthy's line about Kozue.

>four cours of repetition on a single theme
Some people call that "holistic". I call it badgering, verbose, redundant and exasperating.

Nice art though. RIP cel.

Wew.

I was shocked. I felt like I was wrongdoer. I had to google why Ikuhara did this to me.

Didn't she fuck some black guy? Never even picked it up.

Just finished it. Not seen the movies yet, are they necessary? Not sure I really get what happened at the end, was following it all the way up until that point so maybe I need to give those last few episodes another watch.
Anyway I know this is probably wrong but it almost made me feel like utena never existed in the first and was just a persona created by anthy to help herself mentally escape but also make herself stronger to fight against her brothers abuse.

Utena became a true prince by loving Anthy enough that despite everything she would still take all of the hate of the world for her.
The school isn't avle to process the existence of a True Prince. Why? Because it was created by a false prince and a princess that could no longer believe in Princes.
Therefore Utena graduated as one too mature for the school.

Utena exists somewhere in the real world recovering from her wounds. Anthy leaves to find her, and Akio stays in his sad little world which despite him being basically the King of he has no power over without Anthy

The movie's ending is a bit easier to understand.

You actually like Lesbian Bear Storm more? Don't really have a strong opinion on Sailor Moon and Penguindrum is obviously a masterpiece

Best anime in history, without a doubt.

I'm re-watching it now, and I do find that the Nanami episodes work way better now that I understand what the show's doing.

>i should have watched sailor moon or sakura or other shoujo stuff

This isn't necessary, but you should watch Sailor Moon anyway because it's the better show.

I don't really understand what the point of Curry High Trip was supposed to be besides comic relief filler.

Cuck memes aside?
It's fucking fantastic, it really gives you that loss of innocence vibe. Specially with the stop signs saying "stop" racing down the street. It's really gives you the feeling of seeing something dirty and lewd that you shouldn't be seeing, but you simply can't look away. It's really awe inspiring.

Mikage was an robotman, a cold and heartless machine, that never knew love until he meet Tokiko. The only reason he tranfered those feelings to Mamiya is that since he never experienced love, the closest place he could find it where amoung the gay student that were also studying perpetual motion with him.

I was also put off by it the first time, but then you realize that:

a) It comically shows the nature of Anthy's relationship with Saionji
b) It was all probably a deliberate ploy by Anthy to show Utena the above without breaking her role.

Episode 20's so fucking good.

What were your favourite duel songs Sup Forums?

youtube.com/watch?v=p0yvXf7Iuvw

youtube.com/watch?v=Q-AHUFHHNXw

She is your friend.

Kozue was an evil harlot and worst girl.

She's best after Anthy, you fucking moron.

>evil harlot and worst girl
That would be Shiori.

>after Anthy
Absolutely sublime taste.

>don't miss anything
were the literal arrows too discreet for you?

Thanks, user.

That episode just solidified that Saoinji was the biggest he-bitch in the world. Also Onion Knight was the best episode in the Black Rose arc.

>evil
She did nothing wrong.
>harlot
Adventurous.
>worst
Nanami exists.
>girl
Most certainly.

What did that imply?

Also, Miki's stopwatch discussion incoming.

They used arrows and I still understood this the least out of everything in the show. I still don't get what any of those arrows were pointing at.

akio did literally everything wrong, starting with being a ridiculous manchild

That only highlighted very obvious things. Feels like it's taking the piss a little bit with those arrows, too.

Bloated. Utena could easily be cut down to 12 or less episodes.

Retard.

It's basically RoV + Ace wo Nerae.
Every anime is either Ace wo Nera + something or Ashita no Joe + something.
The sooner you realize this the more fun you will have with anime.

I always wondered what people who went to see the movie and saw this for the first time thought.

Best show I've ever watched period. I'll never forget the first time I heard ZETTAI UNMEI MOKUSHIROKU. It was like fucking magic.

Not the best but has the most greatness of any anime

Wait, so the driving sequences are a metaphor for sex?

The arrows are used to highlight certain little details in the scenary, these are used mostly to imply the passage of time and the "transformation" Mikage goes through.

For exemple, the arrow points at the butterfly when Mikage is talking with Tokiko, implying he is falling in love with her and leaving his "robotman" persona behind, becoming more emotional.

It falso points at the cats when Mikage is talking with Mamiya, there is a single cat at first, but then two and finally three, implying Mikage, Mamiya and Tokiko are becoming a kind of family.

Thanks! That was quite good!

What does Miki measure with his stopwatch in your opinion?

He was taking the minutes.

Confusion then hype.