KyoAni

kyotoanimation.co.jp/kyoani_award/7th/

>No winners, AGAIN
Coppelia and more originals, ahoy!

Other urls found in this thread:

ultimatemegax.tumblr.com/post/144561273813/on-the-kyoto-animation-awards-and-results
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

What should they adapt? I don't dig deep into LNs.

Why do they bother holding these "awards" if none of the entries end up winning anyway?

>inb4 plot ideas for their next anime

what is this?

>Uguu Shoujo
Ew, I thought anime have moved on from this disgusting artstyle.

They're not gonna adapt Coppelia but they might get the author to write something else from them.

He already worked on Tamako LN.

NHK should hire KyoAni to make Haruchan anime.

Looking at their previous honorable mentions I shudder to think how badly written the entries below "honorable mentions" are.

Archery boys sounds neat though.

Are these contests even real? Or mabye nobody even submits anything anymore.
I am okay with Coppelia though but they will probably change the story of the anime so much that it will just be some generic shit again.

Its kind of sad how no actually good writers send in stuff to Kyoani. Probably because they'd make more money publishing it through someone else, but still.

Well, at the basis, Coppelia does seem generic.
I still want it though. It's either this or VEG.

What coppelia is about

>This story takes place in an old mansion surrounded by peaceful forests and plains. "Since you are a human, you must work! Never ever act unhappy." The automaton (homonculus) deemed a "failure" since her heart does not beat, Coppelia, was created in order to work in the mansion. In acknowledgement of this, she publicly joins a group of maids. As she works with her busy maid companions and spends time with the other weak girl, Swanilda, Coppelia begins to experience and embrace human emotions.

Isn't it better that they don't lower their standards just so anything can win?

That sounds like it fits Kyoani very well. I'd pick it up.

But this year is pretty extremely. There are 10 categories but only one has a winner.

There aren't many good writers in Japan. Even popular LNs made by professionals sometimes read like they were made by 16 year olds.

>There are 10 categories but only one has a winner
Like almost every year.
Last year has no winner at all.

There has only been one winner ever, maybe VEG's writer could become an original writer for them.

They're clearly working on obtaining Berserk so it doesn't have to be CGIshit anymore.

They sure hold their standards high huh

Well they're KyoAni after all

>Coppelia and more originals, ahoy!

Or adapt other stuff from other publishers like from Kodansha

>Its kind of sad how no actually good writers send in stuff to Kyoani. Probably because they'd make more money publishing it through someone else, but still.
Basically everyone who show up are those Kadokawa already rejected.

>They're not gonna adapt Coppelia
Says who?

>novel is from 2011
I doubt they're going to touch it at this point.

Who is the girl that looks exactly like her? Did they try to dublicate her with the automaton?

I would be down for an anime of this.

The one in OP's pic.

Swanilda (blue) is Coppelius' (the creator) little sister. He made Coppeila (red) for unclear reasons. I don't want to say anything else because I'm not done with the book yet.

VEG confirmed for 2017 get hype

>Confirmed

not confirmed but likely

ultimatemegax.tumblr.com/post/144561273813/on-the-kyoto-animation-awards-and-results

What crazy shilling.

Just say the novels suck.

Violet Evergarden when

>Violet Evergarden truly deserved to be the first Grand Prize winner. The writing style is leagues above the others and the overall stories are good enough to not need assistance from editors. Kana Akatsuki has very good skill with prose and dialogue which, when combined with an interesting setting, allowed her to have very touching stories with Violet.

Masterpiece confirmed

Says the guy who wanted to see Phantom World animated.

Ultimatemegax is like the biggest KyoAni shill one can quote.

Did he? I seem to remember him saying it wouldn't happen until it did

>Finally, there is an incredibly annoying trend in the English anime fandom to be upset that the directors/series composers alter the novels for the television anime product.
Maybe one day we'll get a book that can stand on it's own without sever alterations.

There you go Satoshi Konfag, here's your deep and meaningful KyoAni show.

So essentially the robot girl gets passed around multiple protagonists?

Needing television/film adaptations to be perfect 1/1 copies of their source is a meme opinion.

LOTR is one of the greatest film trilogies ever and it cuts and alters many things from the books.

>"The enthusiasts who have read the novels over and over may notice every change but in doing so they will miss the point. Peter Jackson's movie does not challenge the novel's supremacy any more than the distinguished book illustrations by Howe, Lee et al were meant to replace Tolkien's descriptive words. Paintings, drawings, animations and at last the feature films all augment our appreciation of Lord of the Rings.

>"Another point on this, the question that dominates my email: the adaptation of masterpieces from one medium to another is as old as literature. Most of Shakespeare's plays are re-workings of stories, poems or written history. When I moved Richard III from stage to screen, I was determined to make a good film in honour of a great play. Had I left every scene and line of the text intact in the movie, it would not have been a good one. Kurosawa's Throne of Blood, my favourite version of the Macbeth saga, distorts Shakespeare to spectacular effect. The play which inspired it remains intact."

- Ian Mckellan

Seems so.

>Swanilda (blue) is Coppelius' (the creator) little sister. He made Coppeila (red) for unclear reasons.
He wanted to fuck his sister?

Yeah, turning a cast of elementary school boys into high school boys was totally a way to convey the meaning of the novel instead of optimizing it to the sales target groups.

Hmm, how does one make a TV series like that? It sounds like an inverse Kino's Journey

Waiting for the unfolding writing trainwreck once it actually premiers.

Making an adaption that suits television is one thing. When they adapt LNs they really just take the basic idea and characters and do their own thing with it. A good book wouldn't need such a drastic makeover.
Not really complaining about them changing things; it was necessary. I just think they should adapt more well written stories.

If you're referring to Free the TV series takes place after the book it was based on. The movie is the actual adaptation if I'm not mistaken, haven't seen it yet

>if none of the entries end up winning anyway?
Violent Ever Garden, tripfag.

He writes basically that every KyoAni novel is good (of course never describes what makes it good)

If they can't get enough quality writers for their original LNs, they should just buy out more quality novels. They bought out Hibike and that was a big success.

It's KyoAni, they always find a way.

until the anime airs and then he goes into "that one next KyoAni novel is in a different league to title x".

She has a bad heart. Their mother died of the same illness. Coppelia is a failure because her heart doesn't beat. If I put two and two together I'm thinking that he wanted to give her a transplant.

>Having read a fair amount of them and works by better authors, I can simply say that the majority are of the level of light novels. Easily publishable/readable, but not near literary quality work. For example, Chuunibyou’s first novel has a spot where they randomly go to an amusement park (for advancement of one plot line involving Rikka’s father). Why do they go to one? The principal cancelled classes to have the students go on a trip randomly. That’s not solid writing; it’s flimsy at best.

That's what he wrote. Where's the quote where he writes what you say?

>want to fuck your sister
>create a copy of her instead
Sure seems like a good idea.

Probably episodic format

Yeah, maybe that's what VEG will be.
I guess it makes sense they stopped handing out prizes so readily after they got it as a submission

How is that filmsy at best?

>Even popular LNs made by professionals sometimes read like they were made by 16 year olds
I think there's a reason to that. They're writing outside their domian and often can't into the current adolescent mindset so it really resonate as a murky sixteen year old fanfic. They're trying to get into the minds of what adolescences like and are often disassociate because of generation gap.

That's the reason why KyoAni animates Phantom World and Shaft animates Zaregoto.

I wonder if they'll announce VEG before or after they announce they're doing FMP and Itou was just fucking with us.

>Shaft animates

Let's not get crazy, it's going to be mostly powerpoints and shitty CGI all over the place like always

They really upped their standards, 2 years in a row with basically nothing. No honorable mentions either. Writers need to step it up.

Can't be helped.

KyoAni put itself into a corner with pushing that own LN brand.
Though it looks like they are already trying to move away from that business model again.

>shaft is going to ruin zaregoto like they did with monogatari
God damn it.

>There aren't many good writers in Japan
Oh fuck off. Haruki Murikami is one of the most celebrated conremporary authors in the world. Natsuo Kirino, Kazuo Ishiguro, and Banana Yoshimoto are great as well.

>Kazuo Ishiguro
Wasn't he raised in England?

Yes. His family is Japanese and his early work was set in (imaginary) Japan, though you're right that he isn't really representative.

Never Let Me Go is one of the saddest books I've ever read. It was so well written though.

I think it could be adapted into an anime fairly well.
Would be nice to see the Hailsham setting

I think it could too. Maybe as an eleven episode series. Not sure if Sup Forums would like it though.
Hailsham would be beautiful.

>Though it looks like they are already trying to move away from that business model again.
They are?

Maybe he's talking about Hibike and Koe no Katachi.

I doubt it.
They are even stricter with their contest now since VEG though, so we'll probably see less of their LN adaptations because they won't have much and more outside content and original anime.

They'll maintain the publishing label and contest, but when they expand (which they should in the next 5 years, unless someone is embezzling all those yen) they'll probably focus new growth on making more animation.

They should let new directors debut on their remaining non-honorable mention LNs and have their big dick directors do big dick stuff like Hibike.

Sauce

Sounds like the thinking man's Shigofumi

Most of the LN adaptation so far has been directed by Ishihara except Kyoukai no Kanata. I wonder why, maybe he's the only one who's willing to do it.

Don't think Sup Forums would like what a slut Kathy becomes at the cabins

He's always been their go to director

It's not really her fault. They were horribly sheltered without any outside influence and it kind of sounded like she was forced the first time until she just gave up. They all felt kind of worthless and were going to die soon anyway.
I just felt bad for her. Even her friend who was cheating and sleeping around. These kids never got any love from parents and were scorned by the world.
Although they had a relatively good life at Hailsham slowly finding out their purpose in life must have been earth-shattering, but in a slow and painful way.

Oh boy, it's the megax spin thread. Why not just admit that nobody submit entries to the Kyoani award anymore, because everyone realize what a scam it has been?

Chunibyo: Ishihara
Free: Utsumi
High Speed: Takemoto
Kyoukai no Kanata: Ishidate
Phantom World: Ishihara

Who's the most perverted?

Why does anyone on Sup Forums still cite ultimatemegax as any kind of authority is beyond me. Isn't it blatantly obvious that he had that tumblr post ready to go in the likely event that Kyoani had another contest with no entries?

Ishihara

Ishihara is the most lewd really. Takehomo is very concerned with keeping things as close to the actual theme as possible.

I still prefer Takemoto's fanservice. He's really good at it.

He's good at everything, well other than not looking like a complete fuck up.

Oh I totally sympathize with her, just that all the purityfags on Sup Forums would be buttblasted

>not liking monkey moe

No I totally like his looks and think he's hilariously looking but that doesn't change the fact that he looks like an anti-incestfag's wet dream.

Yeah, I figured that too. Not something I'd want to watch with Sup Forums.

Because even though he shills he actually reads their books and also keeps up with their ongoings more than anybody else.

Let me know when you've read all the Kyoani LN and can offer your own perspective on it. I look forward to a second educated opinion.

He kind of looks like a caricature of a predator