How are Adachi's other series? Are the anime a better experience than the manga...

How are Adachi's other series? Are the anime a better experience than the manga? I ask because I'm halfway through Cross Game and all the characters have the same unexpressionable face throughout the show. But, eveything else is gr8.

Other urls found in this thread:

animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2014-09-16/mitsuru-adachi-cant-tell-his-own-characters-apart/.78792
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jo-ha-kyū
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I love them all. Favorite is probably Katsu! but H2 comes really close. His art style isn't for everyone, as he's been drawing for forty years and even his newer works retain that retro feel. Characters, story, execution, etc. are all top notch though across his stuff. It usually comes down to which hero/heroine is your favorite that determines your favorite series, since the sport is usually just the setting and rarely the main focus of his stories.

He's probably the worst when it comes to sameface art animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2014-09-16/mitsuru-adachi-cant-tell-his-own-characters-apart/.78792

Touch is my favorite of his.

I feel Touch and Miyuki are the best things he's come up with to date. All the other stuff he does feels like a rehash of a lot of plot points from those two.
Also Adachi is the master of conveying emotional subtext without using dialogue. In fact he's done entire chapters that have very little text but are very interesting.

>Miyuki
How in the fuck? It's like his worst one - as far as I can remember, he hasn't given his MC a serious second love interest since, and it's pretty clear why. It fucked up the entire last ~third and did not work at all with his typical anticlimax ending. The first ~70% was fine but I still wouldn't say it stands out among his non-sports series in really any way.

They start out great but then the pacings slow down more and more until nothing happens anymore.

Do any of you have an opinion on the anime adaptions?

Miyuki's alright if you root for the sister all along. And I cannot emphasize this enough he reuses a ton of stuff from those two early manga so when you read his other stuff its kind of disappointing I mean I like H2, Tough, Q&A and everything really but once you've read touch and Miyuki you've actually read everything.
By plot points I mean
how the love rival gets introduced
how the mc reacts
side characters tropes
etc
Also Adachi like a lot of japanese sucks at endings.

Cross Game adaptation was great. It added some important scenes/subplots with Aoba that really helped flesh out her character. Touch anime was really good too, but it was also my first exposure to Adachi so I might be a bit biased. H2 adaptation was shit and should be avoided.

All his recent works are like that, over time he's pretty much crystallized over the same style. His older stuff, and short works are a bit different. His new series has potential, but it's also kinda weird because it's a Touch sequel, except it doesn't feel like one because most of the cast are new and apparently unrelated people. Katsu! is very good. If you want more baseball, Touch and H2 are both high tier. Slow Step, Jimbe, Q&A and Rough are a bit different.

*rough

How does Slow step end? Does she really marry the teacher?

>Miyuki's alright if you root for the sister all along.
Not really, even if you're rooting for the sister it's still dumb when the penultimate arc is about his girlfriend rejecting another guy and postponing college because he didn't get in, and then ten chapters later he's marrying his sister and she's dumped off-screen. It was just really poorly handled.

>And I cannot emphasize this enough he reuses a ton of stuff from those two early manga so when you read his other stuff its kind of disappointing

He reuses everything, yeah, but I don't find it disappointing. It's all in the execution - just because they came first doesn't make them the best.
>Also Adachi like a lot of japanese sucks at endings.
Now this is bullshit. Aside from Miyuki and Q&A (and I'm pretty sure Q&A was just him doing the weirdest thing he could think of for the hell of it), they're generally quite good and fit his style well. Rough in particular has one of my favorite endings in all manga. The "Japs can't write endings" thing is silly, anyway.

It ends way before she'd marry anyway, but it's implied she'll end up marrying the teacher.

Dude, spoiler tags.
I don't remember any marriage, but I think the ending shows the she picks him.

Wait did the Miyuki manga go further than the anime because I don't remember that happening?

I never finished the Miyuki anime, so I don't know. Someone want to help us out?

First of all, not the same user.
To this day I'm still not sure how to take Q&A's ending.
To be honest I feel like H2 could have had more closure, as the story was indeed told and finished, but we only have a very vague idea of how things go from there for the protagonists, and in particular for Hiro. Katsu! is also somewhat ambivalent except not really because for once the main couple was established clearly pretty early (I think she's also my favorite main girl overall).

I dont agree with you. Rough is actually the only acceptable ending Adachi has.

>Touch has bullshit idol girl thrust at end
when he could easily have satisfactorily given the Tacchan and Minami a much deserved happy ending
>H2 you know it motherfucker
>Cross game was fine but as
put it it needs important scenes/subplots with Aoba that really helped flesh out her character
,for me anyway

>Q&A it was all a dream LOL
>Miyuki I actually agree with your criticism for Miyuki it definitely was weak but I was happy he got together with his sister big fuck to the other Miyuki though
>Katsu was also fine but it definitely felt ambivalent as

>when he could easily have satisfactorily given the Tacchan and Minami a much deserved happy ending
>
But he does? The idol's barely even relevant.

>The "Japs can't write endings" thing is silly, anyway
C'mon very few animu and mango leave you with that perfect fuzzy "full" feel that a lot of good books and movies do.

Most of their conclusions by far have the most letdowns for me. A lot of them write themselves into corners and just abruptly end.
The build up almost never justified. Third act is usually an anticlimax. Now I'm not going to inflict my taste upon you and have you tell me why I should have liked something more but I firmly believe Japs have pretty weird taste most of the time.

Why did she exist then? To insert melodrama when it was clearly unneeded. It was jarring to say the least.

I haven't read H2, but I found Touch, Cross Game, and Katsu's endings fine. I really liked Slow Step's, too, and Nine's is fine, Nijiiro Togarashi's is fine, Itsumo Misora's last big arc is dumb but the ending itself is fine, and I think that's all I've read.

>C'mon very few animu and mango leave you with that perfect fuzzy "full" feel that a lot of good books and movies do.
I don't know, I think there are plenty of acceptable endings in manga and plenty of poor ones in books. I think it's just a matter of writing something in installments over a long period of time - individual books aren't usually that different at the end than the beginning, but book series can go all over the place, because the author doesn't have everything planned when the first part comes out, and if it's long enough the author might change personally before it ends.

Only western stories follow the 3 act system. In Japan it's 5 acts:
>Ki (Introduction)
>Shou (Development)
>Ten (Twist)
>Ketsu (Conclusion)
>Yami (Darkness)

I meant I found a lot of scanlated ie popular manga have way worse endings than books or movies that people accept are good.
I think its because mangaka operate on a deadline and often are unable to conclude properly of lack popularity in the magazine leading editorial interventions or straight up rushed endings.

I was reading about this when I made my earlier post and I found Japanese have a three act structure too
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jo-ha-kyū

>scanlated ie popular
Scanlated is not popular. Being scanlated just means that at least one person liked it enough that they thought it should be in English. The most popular scanlated stuff tends to be battle shounen trash, anyway.

*that people accept are good.
>I think it's just a matter of writing something in installments over a long period of time
I think this does factor in as well. Often they just make it up as they go along getting a feel for the story as it writes itself like Kentaro Miura for Berserk. Even though he said he'd want a happy ending for guts he states in the interviews that he's never had the story planned out in his head.
If other mangaka operate like this I can see why they might write themselves into corners because of uncertainty of serialization they cant invest too much in one story

>Scanlated is not popular.
In a lot of cases it clearly is. Manga from previously serialized artists or those that got anime or those which were polled at the top of their publication are the ones that get scanlated.