Daily Japanese Thread DJT #1549

Cornucopia of Resources / Guide
Read the guide before asking questions.
docs.google.com/document/d/1pKgBm8Aa58mjB1hYhbK-VOPZsRBTXBuPBzw8Xikm2ss/pub?embedded=true

Previous Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

rocketnews24.com/2016/05/22/750768/
youtube.com/watch?v=wQlq-hxWRzQ)
i.4cdn.org/wsg/1463850339111.webm
youtube.com/watch?v=-MfV9UOTtq4
iknow.jp/content/japanese
michigankuchikomi.com/cgi-bin/kuchikomi/kuchikomi.cgi?mode=new_html&no=13910
japaneselevelup.com/japanese-level-up-rtk-mod-anki-deck/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

できるかな

Anyone have a link for Genk I Second Edition?
its not the in resources and i cant find it online

Isn't there a torrent for both books on tpb?

not second edition

rocketnews24.com/2016/05/22/750768/

大の大人が軽々と飛ばされているところを見ると、そう思わずにはいられない

After seeing a big adult blown away with ease, you cannot think that it can't happen (being blown away).

What is そう referring to in this context? My guess is as above.

Ah. I think you're probably fine with the first edition as well if you don't manage to get a hold of the second.
>やはり暴風に見舞われた時は、家の中で安全に過ごすことが第一。大の大人が軽々と飛ばされているところを見ると、そう思わずにはいられない
そう refers to the first sentence.

At least it's an actual DJT picture.

Good on you, OP.

ah nvm i found it on AB

Reposting for the guy with custom font problems on AnkiDroid in case he didn't see that last thread.

If you want it translated it's something like
>It's definitely best to stay inside if there's a strong wind blowing
>You can't help to think that when you see a big guy getting thrown around like nothing

>read any manga
>can't understand anything
>read yotsuba&
>can understand almost everything

It feels like I'm actually making progress in this language for a change.
Feels good.

Nice blog.

I'm trying out the new 10k deck labeled "Core 2k/6k/10K Further Optimized PIC/SOUND."

I see that there are two card types by default: production and recognition

The recognition cards are a nice addition, but it seems they come before the appropriate recognition cards. Can this be easily fixed? Also, does anyone here use modded cards from this deck?
What tweaks do you use?

sorry?

Great blog

okay

what you said was fine, these guys are just desperate to apply Sup Forums etiquette they just learned

Move on to New Game once you are done with Yotsuba

Nice blog comment.

wew

I don't see why this is a blog.

It's relevant to the learning of Japanese. That's better than a lot of posts on this thread.

vocab recognition cards are a bad idea, there are too many words that have extremely similar english definitions on the back
just delete that card type

also there's a point where doing new cards from a deck like that has diminishing returns so 10k is really not that much better than 6k, considering you're just looking to gain a foundation from drilling anki, not your entire vocabulary

気象庁によりますと、22日は広い範囲で晴れて気温が上がり、最高気温は北海道東部の音更町駒場で33度1分と、5月としては統計を取り始めてから最も高くなったのをはじめ、各地で30度以上の真夏日となりました。

5月としては統計を取り始めてから最も高くなったのをはじめ
Starting with 音更町駒場, for May since the start of statistic collection, this is this the highest temperature,

The の refers to 音更町駒場's temperature only correct?

各地で30度以上の真夏日となりました。
Every region is having 30+ deg "summer heat day"

Extended Sup Forums use has decayed that person's mind to the point that all that remains is a crude algorithm to check for first person pronouns before firing off a meme response. I'm surprised they can still pass the captcha.

Thanks for not offending me and using gender neutral pronouns.

>Starting with 音更町駒場, for May since the start of statistic collection, this is this the highest temperature,
Starting with the fact that the temperature was the highest it's ever been in May since measurements started being taken, with 33 degrees in 音更町駒場 in/of east Hokkaido,
>Every region is having 30+ deg "summer heat day"
It's "several" in this case, not "every".

Ok so is it the case that the its the highest temperature for may since recording started in most regions or just in 音更町駒場

The temperature in 音更町駒場 was the highest temperature ever recorded for May, that's it. They obviously are only counting Japan here.

DJT meetup in Nara, everyone bring your kimono and katana.

Contrary to popular belief, you aren't actually allowed to walk around with katanas in Japan.

Not even a tanto?

(Cross-thread)
I feel like I'm on death's door with this stuff as well, to be honest. I'm just bored of all the fucking textbook shit, but when I try to read anything I have to constantly stop to look shit up. It's like I'm having to choose between dying of boredom or dying of tedium. I really feel like I'm at the end of what I can do again.

Then how do you explain 辻斬り smartass

Just keep looking shit up until you have nothing to look up anymore. That's the plan I'm going with, not so bad, as long as you choose something that's right at your tedium limit.

It's a 2 century old meme.

あなたの言うことはある意味では本当である。

How does "では" influence the above sentence, why isn't it just で?

It has a topic marker.

では puts more focus on it not being true in other senses I'd say

Yeah, that seems to be it

i've been studying japanese for about a year and a half now, how is this in terms of progress?

It's fine. The grammar score is a bit low, perhaps.

tfw you can't bring yourself to man up and speak Japanese to Japanese people

Been learning for a week now I can read something written in just hiragana like a 5 year old, katakana I can read them most of the time シ ツ ン and ソ still catch me off guard but I'm usually right distinguishing between シ and ツ。

currently on chapter 3 of Tae Kim and skimming through the pages looks like there's a lot more Kanji coming up so is now about the right time to start using Core 2k/6k?

ありがとうアノンくん

You should start Core as soon as you finish kana. There's no reason to put it off.

yeah, its definitely the part i've noticed that i struggle with when reviewing, but now that i have some "results" to really base off of, i can focus a bit more on that

Just watch more anime to learn grammar

>get tinnitus 3 days ago
>this card appears
Anyone here has tinnitus? I literally went from happy to "might have to kill myself if it doesn't stop" tier.

Those katakana are so easy to distinguish if you just take a good look at them as they are lined up to each other:
ツ is drawn from left to right, while ツ is from right to left.
Same with ソ and ソ, just compare the flow of the short and the long stroke.
I really don't get it how people still have problems with .

no thank god
i can only hear high frequencies and they dont show up often

don't focus too hard on tae kim, just skim, I don't know, the first half of the book and get a feeling for basic verb conjugation (this can help youtube.com/watch?v=wQlq-hxWRzQ)

start doing core and reading, the sooner the better

spend most of your study time reading, even if it will be slow and painful at first

use tae kim as a reference for running into grammar you don't understand

don't worry if you can't understand what you're reading very well, just keep reading

also considering using a text hooker or OCR program to start with depending on what you're reading, or just rikaisama if it's plain text

頑張って

When I bought my first gun I thought I was too cool for earplugs and my ears were ringing for about a week. I hope yours is just temporary.

>try to login to j-cat
>login doesn't work
>e-mail I used was reset so all the e-mails they sent are gone

Well shit. How am I supposed to remember my last score to compare my lack of progress now?

Give me some good listening practice, please. I had fun with that tranny 堕落 video that was linked yesterday, but I have no idea what are some fun shows, so don't know what to look for.

意義
意味
u wot m8

i.4cdn.org/wsg/1463850339111.webm

>tfw want to give up Japanese

Ive been studying for two years almost off and on and I feel like I've accomplished nothing. Kanji is so fucking hard its ridiculous, i have a hard time recalling basic kanji sometimes.

Im going to start writing it down and ill tell you if that works. Maybe ill just take it slow and not be autistic about it.

I got it as a child by 寄り掛かる a speaker at a car show that was twice my size at the time.

You'll go crazy for about two months then kinda tune it out after a year but you'll always notice it if you focus on it. Have fun!

how many words do you know

youtube.com/watch?v=-MfV9UOTtq4

The first one is more deep. Like the meaning of life.
You would use the second one normally when asking what does やり逃げ mean.

you can't get good at anything difficult by doing it "off and on"

so.. second one is like, reason
first is explanation?

>Japanese
>difficult

this famalam. people learned languages before writing was invented, but they didn't learn them by speaking them once a week.

Just finished jintai's first volume last night. It took longer for me to finish than expected partly because of some of the vocabulary but I think I'll get used to it in no time. Also, it's refreshing to have a narrator speaking keigo throughout the entire novel.

I kind of wonder why no one has translated this yet though. It doesn't seem too hard of a task.

>off and on

できない
you have to do anki every single day

Is it an enjoyable read so far?

Where does the Core deck come from anyways?

Both of them mean the same thing, "meaning", but you use them at different times. Like 会う and 逢う.

Probably over 2k?
Idk i did kore last year but never did the4 k or 6k and have just been using a kanji deck since somewhat half ass.

Off and on meaning first year extensively obsessed.
Aftet i finished korr stopped for three months because thinking about boipussy than got back into it.

iknow.jp/content/japanese

>2 years
>2k words
Ahahahahaaha

>stopped for three months

Of course you'll forget everything like that.

Just give up already

I have to say the first half was pretty boring because I already watched the anime but the second half was good because it was new to me

It was kind of like a history class with a tinge of comedy. I saw some jap reviewers saying that the book was harder than they thought it would be too because of that

Definitely a very pleasant read though, the characters are very witty and likeable

According to anki. I've read a shitload plus know more than 1k kanji so who knows. Its much more than that.

I didn't really forget it.

From sep15 to Jan15 I stopped than went hard again. Than military for two months in march now home.

Sup finny thanks for getting me into anime.

My intended reply until I remembered that Gaijin Piggus need not apply:
俺はアメリカ人。「マイケル・ムーアは太過ぎるだなぁ」って言い。
「What a retarded fat fucker he is」っと思う。
英語でごめん、俺の日本語は下手くそだから

Where do you draw the line for liberal translations?

When it stops being a translation and goes into 4kids AU territory.

michigankuchikomi.com/cgi-bin/kuchikomi/kuchikomi.cgi?mode=new_html&no=13910
確かに教えて頂いた商品、色々運転してるとお見かけするんですが、少しお値段が…。

what action does 運転してる refer to here? It can mean "operate" or "drive" according to rikai but that dosent fit.

I assume と means "then, as a result"

お見かけするんですが
I got a glimpse, but the price is"

You must be 18 and above to post on Sup Forums.

japaneselevelup.com/japanese-level-up-rtk-mod-anki-deck/

Learn2SRS dude, I'm doing 100 a day and I'm not breaking a sweat. I retain maybe 70 percent per day but in a 2 months I'd have learned all of them. Another few months and they're solidified. Also, sentences, not words. I don't even know grammar rules but I can type out sentences that feel right.

Yes, actually. It doesn't bother me as much anymore, or at all actually. I think it might've lessened as well, but I'm not always sure I'm not just that accustomed to it. I was pretty brought down by it as well when I got it. More or less everyone is, but most people also learn to live with just fine. Assuming it doesn't disappear after a while, which there's a chance it will.

Some things to note:
Keep completely clear from high levels of noise for the next couple of weeks and try not using headphones
Apparently taking certain steriods within a day or two sound trauma can be helpful. Consult a doctor about this if you can. Though it might already be too late.
There's an ongoing medical study for a treatment called AM-101 you might be interesting in.

1. How long have you been keeping this up
2. What is your total mature vocabulary on anki
3. What is your J-CAT score
4. Type out a self-introduction in Japanese that 'feels right'

>sentence deck
What sort of sentences do you use?

>I've read a shitload
>know more than 1k kanji
So the first 5 chapters of yotsubato?

good luck with your japanese posting career 爆笑

>problem is that you're taking it slow
>your solution to the problem is to continue taking it slow

Do you have brain issues?

Put in some effort for once and pick up the pace, and you'll never have a period where you don't feel like you're making progress. At a bare minimum, do 25 new words per day, every day without fail.

>Than military for two months in march now home.
Oh, it's you. Done with the military already? Again?

>[R-R] Gunbuster.EP2.jpg
>Episode 3
>第四話

About a week, it's legitimately fun when I play music in the background so I definitely won't stop

Pic related, people who do this have a fuckton of young/new and a fuckton of mature later on

I don't know what J-CAT is

さあ、俺は無名だ。音楽が大好き、コンピューターの大学生だ。よろしゅく。

Not doing too much until I finish my Kanji, but short Japanese sentences with a single unknown up front, Japanese definition on back. I'm jumping right into monolingual since I already understand enough to do it, difficult as it may be.

1) 1 month
2) 3000
3) 400
4) にっこにっこにー
あなたのハートににこにこにー
笑顔届ける矢澤にこにこー
にこにーって覚えてラブにこー

kek'd at your intro

Medical discharge one week before graduation. Excessive vomiting. I vomited and it was something I knew I had before so it was fraudulent. I loved the military tbqh.

It's the preview for episode 3.

Shit, didn't upload pic

>There is no rush
There is a rush though. Very few NEETs are so rich that they can guarantee that they will still be NEETs in 3 or 5 years from now and then once you're thrown into the workforce then the amount of time that you have to do anything with Japanese has now been chopped down to a fraction of what it used to be.
>That's not how human memory works
No one has ever learned something by not doing it. Unless you're sleeping then your Japanese didn't benefit from any hours (other than sleep) where you were not doing anything related to Japanese. That doesn't mean that you need to do Japanese non-stop, but there's no point in deluding yourself into thinking that your Japanese is somehow benefiting from a few hours of playing English video games or watching some English movies.
>That's how you burn out and lose motivation; you have a natural amount of curiosity and that is how fast you can learn.
Motivation is a crutch and a temporary high. If you depend on motivation in order to do something then you will never accomplish any significant long-term goal. Willpower, a good work ethic, and developing a routine of studying/working towards your goal is what yields results. Needing to feel constantly motivated will work in the beginning, but that's about it.

Yeah, you might as well give up on Japanese if you aren't even disciplined enough to stop yourself from throwing up all over the place on a boat.