Elves, orcs, centaurs, etc

What happened to classic fantasy in anime?
Remember the sophistication of the genre 10+ years ago with works like Berserk and Lodoss? Why are modern fantasy anime so reliant on the "trapped in an MMO" cliché? What happened to my favorite genre Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

syosetu.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Bumping with fantasy cuties.
>inb4 go back to /tg/

Anime isn't bad to the ass anymore.

Anime used to be badass.

Now it's just bad and ass.

I concur, good sir.

true

we still get a few badass ones in the shonenshit category, but it's weird to think that not so long ago, even cutesy anime for girls had fight scenes and monsters and shit.

Seems someone hasn't been watching anime for decades.

OP is a fag and 0 points.

>Remember the sophistication of the genre 10+ years ago with works like Berserk and Lodoss?
I'm not saying it's less sophisticated than now, but dang son, I hope you're pretending.

You've excellent taste, but you already should know why we won't get more quality anime. The industry has been in decline since 2005, the quality of the 80's and 90's can't be brought back.

Pandering to the kid generation and rampant censorship. They realize they can make loads more money with watered down bullshit and feeding it to children than making masterpieces like they used to.

It isn't about badassery. It's about the lack of love for the genre. The beauty of medieval fantasy has been sapped as of late in favor of MMO-shit. At least there's a few gems in manga like Helck, and Dungeon Meshi (although it's more of a comedy).

>elves
Completely stupid idea, humans with pointy ears only faggots with fetishs would support this horrible excuse for another sapient species.
>centaurs
Gross

What annoys about most fanstasy anime is there is no originality its literally copy paste of medieval european crap thats been done many times its stale and horrible. I mean fanstasy should be the most original anime genre since fanstasy doesnt obey logic or reality.

>hating elves
Get the hell out of this thread you fucking faggot.

>Queen's Blade
There's a reason I didn't mention that garbage in the op

shit post

Now now, we still do get neat stuff here and there, and average production values have increased.

Of course it's usually wasted on shit anime but things are not that grim. What I really miss is the art style of early 90s anime and manga. That's what really matters to me.

>sophistication
it's just a different setting, in ONE old anime. Why are you using it as 'representative' of the 80s anime?

Dumping more cute warriors in the meantime.
Every sub-genre has had at least a few gems coming around every couple years but I'm confused as to why this isn't the case with medieval fantasy.
Read Berserk nigger.

Fantasy isn't about originality it's about wonder. I agree that at this point, simply putting elves and magic in the middle ages isn't enough to be wondrous anymore, but it essentially boils down to DIRECTING, VISUALS and WRITING, not to special snowflake races and bullshit cross-genre ideas.

This thread isn't about anything else but fantasy anime buckaroo. I'm talking narrowly on medieval fantasy works and not decades in general.

But Lodoss was shit? You call it sophisticated, but it was literally just based off of a tabletop campaign

At least hentai is keeping fantasy alive

>Read Berserk nigger.
Were we not talking about anime?

You know why you like this genre. Don't try to deny it.

Reading the manga gives the series context so they're more or less one work.

Fuck me I love Dungeon Meshi. I combines my love of DnD with my love of good nutrition advice and exercise.

Good shit bruv. That gives me hope for the future, as not too many people have kept up with it.

You're a funny guy.

Konosuba and Grimgar were great high fantasy. And don't say it's not fantasy if it's isekai, characters from the real world have been with the genre since pulp days.

You're a kike

While it isn't produced as much as it was in old times, what we got today is just harem fanservice shit. With woman wearing bikinis into battle.
Pic for reasons.

Exactly what I meant nothing but fetish garbage.

This picture is everything I hate about fantasy done by the japs.

Meaningless dragons everywhere

over designed characters with every woman in some sort of stupid stockings ZR miniskirt armour

totally bizarre weapons that feel like they have the weight and design intentions of a plastic squirt gun

probably typical ecchi harem shit that's as engaging as a bloated rotting dog if you've jacked off in the past 24 hours.

Only people that care about fantasy anymore are basement dwelling neckbeards that have wet-dreams about elves and write webnovels on the internet.

No fantasy lovers have a sense of wonder and adventure I get sick of medieval European crap all the time in fantasy series.

Also dragon faggotry.

People make what sells and nips want their video games.

>Fedora containment thread

it's definitely true in Jap'n

no self respecting mangaka or original studio makes fantasy these days 90% of them comes from this site

syosetu.com/

WoW happened.

Berserk is still a thing, you idiot.

Lodoss, Berserk and Slayers were pretty much the only notable "classic fantasy" thing anyways, so you have rose-tinted glasses for something you evidently don't know anything about.

We've had this topic before but it seems people forgot.

Fantasy was never a big thing in Japan. Modern fantasy in the West is basically Tokien derivatives - in Japan, the non-hentai family tree of fantasy titles are largely derived from Final Fantasy which was based on D&D.

D&D existed but was played by nerds and was not mainstream at all, which is what made Lodoss unique since it was derived from actual D&D play sessions. Kanzaka who wrote Slayers was also a big D&D fag in the '80s and like Lodoss crew basically Japanified D&D.

So if you dislike J-MMO fantasy, too bad because that IS fantasy to most nips. Mythology or history based titles like Berserk, Guin or Spice and Wolf are not the dominant image of fantasy. But then again, to most westerners if it isn't Tolkien or D&D (which is Tolkien) it's not true fantasy anyway.

Lodoss war looked good and all but the narrative and characters weren't all that interesting to me.

I'm more drawn to the Slayers/Dragon Half type of fantasy myself

Also I wish Bastard resumed

ITT: People who think R.A. Salvatore's books are masterpieces of literature

Lodoss War and Slayers were based on tabletop games though

Berserk is only a thing here. It's dead and irrelevant in a world not consumed by slavish devotion to an abandoned work, which is basically everywhere not here.

everything made now is written by kids who grew up on MMOs and have zero sense of originality, so they just make shit that's derivative of those games because it's all they have to draw on

I swear Berserkfags are basically GoTfags (though it's probably the other way around)

>derivative

we're talking about fantasy here
everything of the genre is a Tolkien-derivative

>sophistication

Most of them played like some awesome DnD campaigns more than sophisticated storytelling, but I loved them regardless. They largely only existed really because of high budget OVAs though, so I doubt we'll see their like again since OVAs aren't very popular anymore. The only decent high fantasy I've seen recently was Dungeon Meshi, and that's not only a manga, it's also mostly about cooking.

Trapped in an MMO "fantasy" is popular because it's very easy to make both into a self insert shitfest, and cram in an uninspired harem and/or school setting to widen your appeal. It's base entertainment for baser viewers, and it's more successful than high fantasy ever was or is so it's here to stay for the foreseeable future.

Yes, I tipped my fedora wildly while writing this, no need to reply with tips.

yes, that is exactly what he said in his post, thank you for demonstrating your reading ability.

>Final Fantasy
>not Dragon Quest

Ixion Saga was pretty fun.

LN fantasy is popular because the source material are amateur webnovels from one site.

so getting the rights to them are cheap and easy and since people are starving for Tolkien fantasy they'll eat it up.

I would personally like more medieval titles without fantasy tropes. There can be "fantastical" elements like in Spice and Wolf, but none of the fantasy stock or stereotypes are present. It's a medieval title that might have a little too much Japan influence, but it at least feels medieval.

I guess you could say Claymore fits into this paradigm too. It's fantasy, and medieval, but definitely unrelated to D&D or Dragon Quest.

Manga just kept the Medieval and removed all the childish fantasy bits.

>watching fantasy instead of mecha

>tfw no shows where a sci-fi mech and its pilot get stuck in a fantasy world

there's a series where a guy goes to a fantasy world and makes a mech

two in fact

>sophistication of the genre
Oh man, you're killing me here.

Fantasy as a genre is derivative as fuck, it's not some damned sacred cow.

Story and plot driven characters don't sell anymore. Half naked girls and moe are what sells now. It focuses now on the girls and not really anything else. Japan only knows fantasy now really from DQ and final fantasy. /tg/ anime will not be made anymore. MMO bullshit sells because it is relatable whereas just plain fantasy is hard to sell to the current market.

Western fantasy used in anime pisses me off

They have all manner of youkai and yaoguai from Easf Asian legends, Taoist/Buddhist/Animist mysticism, ninjas, samurai, monks, Kung fu masters, etc

High fantasy just isn't as popular in Nipland, just like mecha to the Western world.

So, all of us?

I blame SAO for this.

What went wrong?

Pandering.

As somebody legit interested in Arthurian shit I can honestly say Type Moon is one of the LEAST bad it can get.

I want to hire that little warrior!

Just animate bathtub fantasy already.

aaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!

Oh yeah buddy

Count your blessings Type Moon honest to go takes proper inspiration from the real legends even if they pander it the fuck up.

nigga fuck you that movie was my childhood

shit man I'm sorry

my family had that movie and angels in the outfield on the same vhs. I think we taped it or something, so I used to watch both movies consecutively.

>taking fantasy anime unironically.
you deserve all of your suffering.
this is why anime only fags are truly brain dead

Well that's animes fault in the first place for not even giving you a reason to take it seriously.
Meanwhile the west has the opposite reason where thanks to Game of Cucks everything is too tryhard and dour. When will it end.

pretty much, GoT went sour real quick seriously.

people are talking about western fantasy, but what about eastern fantasy?

That's a sci-fi cutie, user.

>Fantasy was never a big thing in Japan
it was in the late 80s and early 90s
you dont see them in modern anymore, but traditional fantasy do still exist in novel (guin saga for ex). Most are untranslated, and people tend to disregard eastern fantasy too , those thing novel are usually well liked by the old the people over there.

Game of Testicles is barely fantasy to begin with.

Konosuba was mmo haremshit.
Dont know about grimgar because I dropped it halfway into first episode

it's only fantasy in the sense that the fat fuck tried to be 'gritty' and 'realistic' and threw in a bunch of shit that makes no sense with his claims or the world he tried to create

What's your ideal fantasy anime, Sup Forums? For me it'd be something among the lines of
>Group of adventures all traveling together with different motives (fame, fortune, wanderlust, etc.)
>A large chunk of the show focuses on sweeping beautiful shots of the vivid countryside and the cast doing comfy things like camping or fishing
>Battles exist and are always well-choreographed, regardless of scale
>Party travels to different towns and cities, dealing with all sorts of problems among the citizens and politics
>The soundtrack is almost completely orchestral with the sparingly use of guitar for hype/tense moments
>Magic exists, but isn't treated as something that can created miracles

The Witcher

That's all

Cute dwarves doing cute dwarven things

Nippon super-nerds have gone from playing D&D to playing MMOs.

I want to play The Witcher, but my PC is shit
Life is suffering

This is so true it makes me depressed, I'll never more get another Akira, Ghost in the shell or Cowboy bebop. Engaging stories, fascinating characters, gritty worlds. All gone, the industry I loved is gone. Now is all moe, harem shit and all the overdone tropes all over and over again.

Anything that goes mainstream slowly turns into shit, just look at Star wars right now, everybody is saying in social media that Luke is a trans woman.

It's not completely gone just getting rarer. Don't get me started on the current jap self insert MCs.

Honestly I was really excited for Grimgar after the first two or so episodes because I felt like it was going to hit a lot of these buttons - it was pretty, it was comfy, and even if it had vague hints of 'real people sucked into a game world' it was largely in the background and the focus was on a rag-tag group of adventurers trying to make their way from the bottom of the ranks.

Then it went to shit when priest-kun died and the story decided to dwell on it for the next ever, insert songs, pointless drama etc. I think my ideal would be what I thought Grimgar was GOING to be...something with pretty visuals and a comfy party travelling together, exploring, and I actually did like how Grimgar handled fight scenes a lot. Just make it 2-cour with less drama, and more comfy episodic adventures.

ERE anime when

I haven't found anything decent since the earlier 2000's. Aside from fmab. Show me what gems you found user? Bonus points for hand draw animation.

It saddens me that not a single anime meets those requirements. Just give me a comfy series that reminds me of a tabletop game and I'm golden. I can't even think of any western animations that meet all of those benchmarks.

That isn't really surprising. Sex appeal is universally effective, but anime in the '80s and '90s didn't shy away from fanservice and cute girls. The difference is the primary audience now are lonely men who want girly wives, and are perfectly happy to indulge in a one-sided infatuation with one.

To think when FSN came out, this was actually a unique and surprising twist because people were comparing their idea of the legend with the game. Now it's a comparison of the game versus every other anime out there which genderbends.

Shingeki no Kyojin before Erin turned into a titan.

Fairly what you described, but without the overused european myth creatures.
Something original would be refreshing.

>qt loyal servant who lusts over your dick
To pander neckbeards of course.