Daily Japanese Thread DJT #1550

Cornucopia of Resources / Guide
Read the guide before asking questions.
docs.google.com/document/d/1pKgBm8Aa58mjB1hYhbK-VOPZsRBTXBuPBzw8Xikm2ss/pub?embedded=true

prev thread

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=76aRKpH3K_I
forum.koohii.com/post-122413.html#pid122413
mediafire.com/download/4put7vdf2luo9j9/JdicAudioExtractionTool.zip
mediafire.com/download/26yn7mdy55buhpj/bassplayer_v2.1.zip
tanos.co.uk/jlpt/jlpt3/vocab/
tanos.co.uk/jlpt/jlpt3/vocab/combined/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

great image

今日も真っ白なtshirtちゃんと履いてるよね

youtube.com/watch?v=76aRKpH3K_I

i told them the day was coming

Do you split new words and reviews in anki?

I wonder how people can get like 70-80% right everyday when they learn new words.

Back in my days we made mods delete threads that didn't have the standard issue image for djt threads.

yes do new words either before or after reviews

Back in your days the mods probably hadn't given up on DJT yet

I don't split them, but it probably doesn't make a difference

No one looks at the percentage of new words you get right on the first or second try though, that doesn't matter. Mature cards and true retention are what matters.

How effective is just reading and learning words through that instead of doing anki? Does not doing anki equal not learning? (Or at least not learning at a meaningful pace)

I've heard some people were doing this a while ago, but I haven't been in DJT threads for some time now and don't know if skipping anki is even worthwhile. I know I'm not going to be learning at 100% the speed of anki, but if I can learn at a somewhat close enough pace, than I think having fun reading instead of slaving away at anki might be a better thing to do for me.

]I hate anki so much it's gotten to the point where I've stopped and started learning japanese a few times because of it. I feel like not using anki is my only way to success. But then again, I don't want to take a a decade to reach a suitable level either.

muh bogeyman

back in your days the mods banned ban evaders

What do you guys think of this advice from Tae Kim? It's a bit different than what I usually see proposed but it kind of fits how I've learned other things. Is this self-justification for walking into a trap, or could this work?

>I personally recommend the “firehose” method of dumping your brain with TONS of interesting content. This means plowing through pages of books and manga, hours of dialogue, and conversation practice forgetting more words than remembering them. Don’t sit around wasting time entering and reviewing what you’ve already seen, just get more, more, and MORE STUFF!!! You’ll be surprised at how much just seems to stick somehow like osmosis. Some people feel this is not effective because they end up forgetting so much stuff. They don’t realize that the fact that they even remember forgetting it means they’re learning it.

>I don’t know, maybe I’m just weird…

do both
have fun

Just stop doing anki then. If your memory isn't rat's-ass horrific then you should still be able to learn words by looking them up as you read. All anki does is expose you to a bunch of common ones ahead of time so it's easier for you to recognize them in practice.

Isn't that the same approach Steve Kaufmann suggests?

Amazing how often someone asks the same question as me while I'm typing it.

I've been doing Anki for 2 months. Every time I try to read something I have to look up like half the words/kanji, though I feel I'm getting better as the deck progresses.
So yeah it will take 10 years if you do it that way.
I don't know how you can hate anki, are you sure you were doing it right? Not one fucktillion new words per day? Not skipping days? Using the Core deck?

anki is effective if you are focusing on something specific in the short term and using flash cards to memorize whats required to meet that goal

"memorizing all the kanji" is not a specific short term goal

learning by necessity is prolly the way to go when it comes to terminology granted you have a functional nihongo base where you can ask questions as well as tie your own shoes

do you wanna know something sick

when you learn a new word its funny how you start seein it all over the freakin place!!

Also you don't have reviews while reading. Anki is also used as a tool to make decks with and review words you encounter in the wild.

I did this for a long time. It works until a point where you have learned every very common word and then you're not getting anywhere. You're just not gonna come across the words you need to learn often enough for them to stick, and there's a shitton of words you need to learn.

I've been doing a mining deck for almost 3 months now at an average of 22 cards a day and the efficiency increase is dramatic. It's also surprisingly fun to do a mining deck since you can see your vocab increase each day

In the end it depends on how often you need to come across something for it to stick.

A mining deck might be the best use of anki though, as a way to schedule that exposure to semi-rare vocab so you don't trip all the time when you read. Out of curiosity how much time do you spend on that deck per day?

このあときっと滅茶苦茶セックスしたよ?

What's the difference between 俺 and オレ for Japanese people?

post cool words

一蓮托生

屍山血河

一歩前進

クールな単語

These are my stats. I spend probably 30 minutes extra on the words I mine outside of anki.

does anyone know the kanji for this?
i saw it on someone's shirt and am curious as to what it means. i don't know a lot of kanji, so if it's simple, don't be surprised.

問題ない

couldnt u just draw that into google or nciku

or i guess nciku goes by linedict now

means no problemo senor

putting this into my mining deck

thanks
i was drawing it from memory so i didnt know if it was that
i also looked for but couldn't find the google recognition

stop tricking DJT into talking about japanese

You memorized two kanji from seeing it once on someone's shirt, even though you don't know those which are probably among the 500 most common kanji?

What's a good way for learning all the complicated grammar shit that looks the same as the easy grammar shit but is actually completely different?

Shit like からには meaning "as long as" while being made up of two simple grammatical constructions.

i knew what the second kanji was made up of, so i just memorized them
as for the second, i knew the gate radical but nothing else

you have a good memory its almost like you know japanese already

no way dude its a beautiful thing

The DOJG deck

living in tokyo for starters is a good way

maybe you can just watch a whole bunch of tv like gaki no tukai ya arahende など to make up for it if you cant just fly to tokyo tonight

I just put them into my vocab deck, but also record an example sentence (I usually don't have one for random mined words). If it attaches to a word, I mark it with a ~ mark like "~からには" to differentiate grammar elements from ordinary vocab. With all the hiragana only shit in my deck, this helps a ton.

The DoJG Anki deck is one of the worst things ever made.

Grammar should never be done through Anki - unlike vocab, it's too complex and context-reliant to be squeezed onto flashcards, so you either have these enormous cards which are awful for the quick recollection that Anki is designed for, or cards which miss a lot of the depth and subtlety required to actually understand the grammar point in the wild. Consulting DoJG is good and useful, but you should learn grammar from reading. Attempting to do it through Anki will only cripple your progress.

Ban evasion is against the rules.

ive never been banned you retard reported and hidden for off topic shit post

You know you don't have to read the entire card every time, right?
Do you know what "からでないと" means? If you do, you press "Good" and you're done with the card as quickly as with a vocab card.
If not, you can look at the rest card and read as much information as you need to remind yourself. Usually the first example sentence is enough.

Don't fucking reply to him, that's a straight copy paste from a post someone made probably not even 24 hours ago.

>35 cards core 2k vocab
>20 cards dojg
>read posts on 2ch/manga
>daily

how efficient is this

i think youre gonna be drowning in japanese shame hills in no time at that pace

Looks good 🦄

>35 cards
Not as efficient as 36 cards desu

中出ししてからどうなるかのう

赤ちゃん

八つ裂き
一所懸命

If he was smart enough to understand that, he wouldn't have made that post in the first place.

嫌中憎韓
嫌韓
眼球舐め
邯鄲の歩み
轍鮒
仏倒し
蛙の面に小便
プリン頭
朝マラの立たぬ男に金貸すな
畑水練
狆がくしゃみをしたよう
辻斬り
壷洗い
盗伐
斬り捨て御免
切り得
取り殺す
五分試し
厭魅
矯角殺牛
狡兎死して走狗烹らる
四当五落
天下り

一人尺八

> tfw starting to miss out on anki rep days because it's boring as shit and I don't feel like I'm getting results out of it

Do decent JLPT n3 decks exist at all? The only ones I can find are monumentally shitty.

>JLPT decks

I normally use the 2k/6k deck.

This is for an actual exam review, otherwise I wouldn't care. I just add new words to my current deck.

>JLPT3

im pretty sure you can just watch anime for a week or two and be good to go on that test

not even being ironic

Ill ask again if anyone knows of a simple vocab mp3. couldn't find anything in the guide

If you feel you're not getting anything out of it, you probably aren't.

Reading and actually analyzing fifty pages of a light novel per day is a thousand times more efficient and fun than doing reps, and takes roughly the same time. Plus you'll actually be exposed to incredibly cool words.

Nobody ever learned a language by treating it like a test preparation.

I don't know if it is decent, but the Obenkyo app has the JLPT decks.

I'm digging myself into a hole by replying to this. So, I'll go and shit on myself too:

>self-assessed N3
>watayshi wa nihon sookie desu

But really, it's actually just a university exam for JP101/102 credit, but I'm paranoid about not knowing enough vocab, because I remember my actual Japanese class vocab being a grabbag of various JLPT levels.

So just go through the vocab list and learn the words you don't know

That reminds me

>Preparing for a japanese embassy exam with a two week trip to japan
>Spend three weeks prior to the exam dedicating four hours a day to grammar and vocabulary
>Day before the exam stay up until 3 reading n1 level literature shit
>Exam's most complicated question was about the use of datte as but/because or even.

Learned a ton of shit but it was still painful.

This is the situation that I'm hoping for, but it's also the situation I'm in.

There's no list of vocab or covered grammar, so the entire exam is a black box. I've heard conflicting information about the other languages and its difficulty (from laughably easy to horribly hard).

I'm just reading as much as I can and flipping through grammar dictionaries to be as prepared as possible for the worst case scenario.

Really, if anyone has taken a college-level placement exam for this kind of thing, It'd be nice to know how it went.

Honestly unless you practice handwriting a lot your time is probably best spent only on that.

When I took my college placement exam I'm pretty sure I got every question right but the "listening" section consisted of hearing spoken sentences and filling in a missing kana. Since I could read well I could even guess most of the kana without hearing the sentence but I couldn't actually remember how to write the kana fast enough to keep up with the questions.

ive found out that timeboxing with music makes reps a lot more fun, just put in a few minute song that keeps your テンション up, and study, then after the song just relax for a few minutes procrastinating then back to it, it's helped me a lot

It's not such a big deal. I went to a similar exam and all I had to do was to translate a few pages from a book that was called something like Mr. Gen's Story.

You shouldn't have any serious issue if you know a decent amount of Japanese. Most college language courses are done at a stupidly slow pace.

>read a LN for 10 volumes with the furigana displayed like: 宇う和わ千尋・円えん成じょう寺じ紫し乃の組
>update reader app
>it actually works now
Is this what heaven feels like?

If you're taking it because you need the certificate for something then it's fine. DJT just hates people who act like the JLPT is the sole reason to learn Japanese.

By the way, the issue isn't that you assess yourself to be that level, it's that you cared about the JLPT at all.

>All anki does is expose you to a bunch of common ones ahead of time so it's easier for you to recognize them in practice.
Anki isn't just Core, for fuck sake.

Fuck off retard.

you sure told that guy from 2 hours ago dude

It's funny when you put a word into your mining deck because you think it's an interesting one but probably pretty rare and you don't expect to meet it for a while again, and then it turns out to be an overused phrase that comes up literally every second VN you read like 木漏れ日.

>I disagree with this guy
>but his reasoning is so intelligent and flawless I have no counterarguments
>better respond with a personal attack instead

Where around in core are you ?
post your newest word,
資源
i want to see what you guys are struggling with at the moment.

CoR
→JDIC_audio
→→mega:///#F!elQ2kRQC!KI9Wcdfog_R4QetG_W5JXQ
File format is mp3. Label format is kana - kanji.mp3 , for example:
たいさん - 退散.mp3
That mega folder contains every single audio recording used in the online JDIC dictionary.
Context and useful tool written by the guy who handles Rikaisama and a bunch of other neat things:
forum.koohii.com/post-122413.html#pid122413
In case you don't want to read through the thread, the following should be everything you'd need. Directly copy/pasted from the thread:

"For Anki Users:
"[sound:{{text:Reading}} - {{text:Expression}}.mp3]" can be placed into the Answer field to play the sound file. The readings must not have furigana.
I didn't like 128,275 .mp3 files sitting in my Anki folder so I wrote a program that will extract only the needed files from the big zip file.
Download the JDIC Audio Extraction Tool via MediaFile (source code is included)

To use:
1) From Anki, export your words deck as facts only to a .txt file.
2) Open JDIC Audio Extractor, fill in all of the fields, click OK.
You can edit in.txt if you don't want to manually fill in the fields each time.

I also didn't like how mplayer (the media player included with Anki) often times doesn’t play small files to completion. So I wrote a media player that DOES play small files to completion (well, actually I just modified the "contest" example program that comes with the Bass audio library).
Download bassplayer 2.1 via MediaFile (requires Windows; source code is included)
Place bassplayer.exe and bass.dll in the Anki install folder (you should see mplayer.exe there). Then just download and edit Anki's Custom Media Player 2 plugin to use bassplayer instead of mplayer. "

JDIC Audio Extraction Tool
mediafire.com/download/4put7vdf2luo9j9/JdicAudioExtractionTool.zip
bassplayer 2.1
mediafire.com/download/26yn7mdy55buhpj/bassplayer_v2.1.zip

He pretty clearly seems to only be using Core so that's how I took it.
However that is pretty much all anki does even if you use it for something like kanji, which I did for around 5 months. That's not to say being able to recognize a couple thousand kanji at a glance without having to learn each new one you come across isn't helpful.
With words that's not too much trouble though so I prefer to just read and have jisho open than drill a few dozen new anki cards every day.

N3 vocab, with links to anki deck, etc.:
tanos.co.uk/jlpt/jlpt3/vocab/
List of N5, N4 and N3 vocab:
tanos.co.uk/jlpt/jlpt3/vocab/combined/

An issue is that since they changed the examination setup in 2010, they no longer officially released vocabulary lists, meaning you aren't really going to get a legitimate list online that is up to date.

Lets pretend to be redditors

>I was reading my kids story and I came across this word こない what does it mean

>what is the difference in nuance between 息子、伜、ペニス、 and 一物?

>I've been studying for 3 years and finished wanikani am I ready to move onto NHK news easy yet?

>>read a LN for 10 volumes with the furigana displayed like: 宇う和わ千尋・円えん成じょう寺じ紫し乃の組
Jesus, I'm fucking impressed. Lesser men would have given up long before ten volumes.
How on earth did you put up with that for ten volumes?

why pretend when you can just be

>However that is pretty much all anki does
No, it's fucking not.

>転嫁
>second marriage
>shifting the blame

>I've been studying for 3 years and finished wanikani am I ready to move onto NHK news easy yet?
日本語の基礎はだいたい二年間で学び得る。 - A Dictionary of Intermediate Japanese Grammar, the spirit of 出来ないちゃん, Page 553, 得る

The spirit of 出来ないちゃん!はははっ

グッド・トゥー・ノウ

This isn't Sup Forums.

How is it possible for someone to not die when they are killed?

zombie