Electric cars are eco-friendl-

electric cars are eco-friendl-

not only that, but there are still cities and town powered by coal. People buy teslas thinking theyre being environmentally conscious and than juice up there car from a coal powered generator

slide it

Isn't still better because now we just burn coal instead of gasoline? I don't know the exact emissions differences. Plus all the mining is in Africa and China.

Eh nat gas would be best, twice as clean as coal. Oil is a little dirtier than coal, but the advantage is it's the most portable. If electric cars take off I'd expect to see a massive resurgence in oil power plants.

I don't care, I work in oil and mining so I make money either way. Lithium's kinda a mess though because the Chinese have most future reserves locked down hard.

pic related, Colorado

I know oil companies were talking about running all their equipment off natural gas when I was up in ND before it went bust

Damn nature, why do you keep polluting with your flooding?

Sorry shill, this was a real spill from mining waste

Animas River

We already basically do. Most prime movers (our generators) run off of natural gas, you really only see gasoline generators for really small mom and pop operations.

No idea how much you know about this, but we have so much natural gas we literally burn it to get rid of it. Offshore it's essentially mandatory, or it is injected into the ground just to force more oil out. If you're looking to the future, companies like Shell that are gambling big on natural gas are going to be profiting massively. Chesapeake tried to do it but couldn't survive this downturn.

Centrally burning fossiles in a plant and transferring them to a car via grid is cleaner and has a higher efficiency. By how much? Hard to tell, this is the single most important unanswered question in electric cars as the manufacturers want to push the zero co2 image

Natural gas combined cycle can reach upwards of 60%, but in practice it's nearer to 50-55%. ICEs are about 35-40% with the potential to reach 50% with thermal capturing devices. TESLA's website claims a 90% efficiency on batteries, so yeah it's pretty much up for grabs. It's just a question of whether to invest in improving ICE engines or battery tech.

Power plants are very near their thermodynamic limit nowadays so I wouldn't look for any improvements there. Coal plants will face decreased efficiency in the future due to Carbon Capture and Storage requirements.

Are we going off the fake CO2 atmospheric or the ocean not being able to absorb it?

Honestly my work only extends to what's below the ground, not what's above it. I have actually worked with the Department of Energy doing Carbon Capture and Storage studies and there are many issues that still need to be addressed.

When you work with oil and ore you think of time in eras, not years. A 1-2 degree C difference is not going to kill us. It didn't kill us in the past, it's not going to kill us now, and within a few thousand years it will probably be 3-4 degrees C colder than it is now.

When can we get a series of tubes that deliver food to our doorstep? Now that would be efficients.

In a sense, we're still using steam.

It won't be from CO2 tho.

>series of tubes

I'm not going to argue about that now. What I would recommend if you are looking into things that can dramatically affect climate is to research Milankovitch Cycles. They are still not fully understood and most people do not know about them, but they have had a much more noticeable effect on humans in the course of our brief history.

bump for awareness

Since accidents happen, we better halt all heavy T1 industries.
*shrugs*