What is the argument against nihilism?

what is the argument against nihilism?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Rfn0D-rkhsw
amazon.com/Revolt-Against-Modern-World-Julius/dp/089281506X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1505792519&sr=8-1&keywords=evola revolt
youtu.be/Usrum3rSaDg
youtu.be/rhgp1nQM9Y0
youtube.com/watch?v=Rm5xg3N2X9g
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I dont know.

What I do know is that the only people destroying our country are liberals in the coastal cities who voted for Hillary. Everyone else voted for Trump.

meaning is a matter of perspective.

Socrates and Aristotle said the pursuit of Truth and knowledge. I can get behind that. Even though in the end it might not matter.

Jesus Christ.

Things don't have to matter to everyone, they only have to matter to you.

Philosophical suicide, the less meaning you accept and feel free to discuss, the less you'll use your mind and you'll slowly become stupider.

Meaning is obviously real otherwise we wouldn't have language or aconcept of it. Nihilism argues against a faulty concept of nihilism and the proper conception of meaning refutes nihilism

Just tell them to kill themselves. If they do it, you win because they're dead. If they don't, then they aren't really nihilists.

why go to the trouble of being a nihilist if nothing matters anyway

Nihilism isn't much fun, and it doesn't seem to work very well, either. I know that isn't how philosophies are usually judged, but does philosophy truly admit no judgement of functionality? If we cannot so-judge a philosophy, what use is it?

If nihilism is correct, nihilism is meaningless.

existentialism

Nihilism has no express function like a political philosophy retard there are many forms of philosophy

what's the point anyway?

If life is meaningless it means that it's like a blank panel. Make yourself a painter.

Platonism/NeoPlatonism: youtube.com/watch?v=Rfn0D-rkhsw

Traditionalism: amazon.com/Revolt-Against-Modern-World-Julius/dp/089281506X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1505792519&sr=8-1&keywords=evola revolt

this would be spot on going from my own personal experience, then again sophists were pretty smart it'd seem

collectivism. All individualistic societies will ultimately succumb to nihilism.

IQ above two digits.

Nihilism is for faggots.

Every nihilist I ever knew turned out to be closeted pedo. fuck atheism , nihilism and liberalism.

It makes you a shitty person who doesn't accept responsibility because "hur hur nothing matters".

Paradoxically enough, you can't be nihilistic about pain and suffering which seems to matter a great deal. You simply write off all the potential good things that could happen, but it's impossible to write off the bad. Life is a tragedy but you need toughen up so you don't grow up to be an irresponsible, worthless sack of shit who doesn't do anything because it seemingly doesn't matter.

That's not what nihilism is. stop confusing it for people who are pretend-depressed, nihilism is simply rejecting the fixation on the meaning of anything. That it's just is and has no "deep" purpose.

Gandalf?

Ultimate bluepill.

no, that is a wax sculpture of a neanderthal

Nihlism sucks and deprives humans of meaning. Absurdism says that because life is so seemingly meaningless and shit, it doesn't make sense. So there must be hidden meaning to our existence.

It's too easy to be nihilistic.

You can say the universe has no meaning, but that doesn't matter. Taking a shit doesn't need meaning. A void dotted with scattered dust and stars doesn't need meaning.

If they did have meaning, it would mean you have no choice about how you take what you have available to shape it as you see fit. When life gives you a universe, squeeze that motherfucker for some lemonade

Nobody's really a nihilist. I like Molymeme's argument. If someone says they're a nihilist and they like cake, if you offer them cake they'll eat it. They won't say "oh, what's the bother, we'll all be dead in a few years anyway."

That nihilists really aren't. They still look for traffic before they cross the street.

But then I can just eat it and find no meaning to it. that's it, so that argument falls apart. You're confusing nihilism for suicide/depression.

Roses are red
Violets are blue
Argue with pain
See how far that gets you

youtu.be/Usrum3rSaDg

Stop being a NEET.

If there were really no meaning you wouldn't bother to eat it. But the meaning is your temporal enjoyment of cake.

This is ... What I looks like.

having real problems you spoilt baby

You in the action of eating the cake are implicitly stating that even if you don't think the cake itself has value, you clearly value your own wants enough to go through with eating it.

no nihilists could possibly exist in a way enough to state it, anyone that actually was would understand their own thoughts are as meaningless as anything else, immediately crumple to the floor and starve to death, not moving on pain or need.

Because doing otherwise would be telling everyone you actually do think things have value, even if it is your own happiness.

why does it matter

That would be the instinct of hunger at eating the cake. why would you find deep meaning in eating a cake? You are still confusing nihilism for suicidal depression and even by a stretch, those type of people are seeking the meaning of life, even at the risk of killing themselves. a true nihilist wouldn't find any real, hidden meaning to anything and just go with the flow.

beauty. you should start to view the world from an aesthetic point of view

Meaning and value are things that you have to create for yourself. Existentialism, basically.

If it's impossible to know the real truth, make up one that works.

Live the nihilistic life see how far that gets you. You will either become a ubermensch because you pushed yourself to the edge of comprehension of nothingness and learned that there are no boundaries in your life, Just stay pure of heart so that you don't become a bad guy. Or you will become a fat sack of shit who stays in his life of meaningless nothingness and is forgotten even by his self. Take the dive because arguing online ain't gonna do shit, you have to test your shit in the real world.

To answer OP directly: There is no argument against nihilism. there cannot be a argument. There can only be challenge to the unknown.

Will you falter or will you press on?

Perseverance is the answer.

>Jesus Christ
This. With out purpose - glorification of God - our lives mean nothing.

youtu.be/rhgp1nQM9Y0

A meaningless existence is a small price to pay for the advantage of refusing to bear the burden of suffering and responsibility. Plus you get to whine about being a sad sack, directionless victim on philosophical grounds, and we all know how sweet sympathy and pity are.

Why argue it?

Life has no meaning. Free will does not exist. Consciousness is an illusion. Anime will never be real. You are going to die.

So what?

Being annihilated.

Just look up the definition. It's easy.

Quads confirm.

Why argue for nihilism to begin with?
It makes no sense to argue that everything, including your own argument, is pointless.

If you dont care about anything your mustache hairs will grow long enough that you'll bite them and yank em when eating food. That kind of miserable apathetic state will light the spark against nihilism in a young caveman

Nihilism is a only delusion among those who forfeit their will to create meaning. It's difficult to cultivate one's soul over the course of a lifetime and takes uncommonly great discipline to maintain.

For me, it's a question of consequence. Do I want to be a vegetative nihilist, or do I want to construct a life? It sounds like an easy choice, but it's difficult to practice consistently.

All outlooks, especially nihilism, require the maintenance of select illusions. Nihilism thrives on passive illusion, but creation requires active delusion and thus sustained effort, which accounts for its difficulty.

It's a matter of having the balls for faith in something.

A nihilistic society increases suffering.

Why even argue for nihilism? What's the point
>I win

To get people to stop arguing. Philosophy is a mistake, and nihilism ties your brain in a knot so you're forced to stop wasting time with it.

NIHIL

man

After swallowing and completely digesting the nihilistic pill your life goes on as before, nothing changes, same arguments and beliefs and all, but there's no PERSPECTIVE anymore. Man. Think about it. Man.

But you act like it matters. If I told you your mom died you wouldn't believe me, but once you checked and it's true you'd be shocked to find that out. Why? It's just a thing that happened, why didn't you freak out when I told you, why did you have to find out for yourself for it to MATTER?

this guy gets it

Say you wake up one day in your house, you in this example becoming a staunch nihilist in a moment of clarity as you awoke.

you are hungry, what reason is there to get up? do you want to eat? that would be admitting value in pleasure.
do you want to not be in pain? being an admission of value in self.
Want to not starve, Why? do you find value in being alive? an actual nihilist wouldn't find value in anything by definition.

What value is there in going with the flow?

It's a great excuse to not even try

Nihilism doesn't require inaction, it just eliminates any reason to act. You can act without reason, though.

It doesnt get you anywhere, nihilism is the acknowledgement that we inject truth, morality, and purpose into the world to give it aim. While thats a good observation in itself it doesnt provide a solution and is therefore not a productive or wise pursuit

it's too easy for people. meaning is relative. purpose is relative. If there were no meaning at all, then you would want to reduce your suffering, so start from there.
>why dont people kill themselves
good question!
youtube.com/watch?v=Rm5xg3N2X9g

But you still don't understand. the point is, I'll do all those things because I can. I'm not gonna sit down and go in a long, philosophical session of why I ate a bowl of cereal or why I took a shit. you just do it, because you do it, until you reach your time and that's that.

you cannot act without reason. only react. a reflex is a action without reason. reason =/= causes. every action requires reason because muh will. you cannot move without wanting to move. you can only deny the reason behind it.

It's not an argument. It's the experience of doing something prosocial that you personally enjoy in the service of your community.

>every action requires reason because muh will.
Free will isn't real. Your consciousness takes credit for your actions after the fact to make itself feel better.

>you can act without reason

No. You can act unreasonably, but there is always reason in action.

"Until you make the unconscious conscious, it will direct your life and you will call it fate."

okay so every action is a reaction. that means you cannot act at all.

Everything matters.

There is no distinction between the unconscious and the conscious, other than awareness.

If you want to get into semantics, sure. Action without a prior cause is generally impossible in this universe.

fucking kek'd and chek'd

pain. you wanna feel cool saying yeah i dont care nothing matters, that goes out the window when youre in extreme pain

Everything is pointless so go fuck everything up and enjoy it or don't.

Do as thou will. Everyone comes out of one and everyone goes into one if they are lucky. That is the whole of the law.

no will = no reason = only reactions to impulses.
that was you. not me.

Yes, that's what I believe.

Its easy to start but hard to finish.

When you go full nihilist, the only thing left to do is kill yourself.

Its better to either find a moral system instead, of give yourself purpose

do you have reason to believe it?

Nihilism is a contradiction. They talk one way and act another. If true nihilism existed, why should a nihilist exist ? Why eat if nothing matters ? Pain ? Well that shouldn't matter either.
Nihilists aim to reject the concept of a value system on behalf of an absence of meaning yet fill their lives with an empty hedonistic value system aiming to serve physical and emotional pleasures. Well that has become their meaning, a shallow as it is and so it is a rejection of their core philosophy.
I really just believe it is intellectual laziness. When you give up on the search for truth, it is easier to say none exists when in reality, meaning is as likely to exist as it isn't given oue lack of understanding.

you're a faggot

HHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHA IM A START COPY PASTIN DIS

>the only thing left to do is kill yourself.
Non sequitur.

Ultimately, none that I can prove.

>the only thing left to do is kill yourself.

But that means you aren't a nihilist. you are just depressed, negative meaning.

Who cares

i cant find an answer, i just found my own, just smoke, and think about it. i don't want to live anymore.

so you want to believe it?

best post right here

>there's no difference between a whale and a submarine except one is alive.

Why not leaen stuff that matters? Ive learned pretty much everything i think ill need once SHTF
>How to treat any conceivable trauma issue (that i can do something about, without a hospital)
>how to effectively grow and harvest
>how to build makeshift or more permanent structures
>how to hunt and fish
>tell direction/time using the sun and the stars (stars cant really be used for time)
None of it is really hard to do, or remember, you just have to read or watch videos about it, and practice it
Thats my arguement against Nihilism, why be a whiney defeatist, when you could be a Chad that could live out the rest of his life inna woods

Read Evola.

>Socrates and Aristotle said the pursuit of Truth and knowledge. I can get behind that. Even though in the end it might not matter.
I'm a Stoic as well. Religion is just existential and moral nihilism pretending to be divine or "objective" morality. It's a lie they tell themselves to avoid the truth.

So the search for knowledge is not a hedonistic persuit that stimulates exploritory neural pathways and society only exists for human survival and maximized human suffering? Are we just going to hoard knowledge and wisdom till we become borg and have no need for emotions?

>Why eat if nothing matters
You've been misinformed. Nihilism does not imply nothing matters. Rather it suggests the meaning of our existence is something we decide for ourselves, and the moral path we choose is our own. If that frightens you, then perhaps you'd be more comfortable with a religion or My Little Pony.

Hello funny bot.

>flag
Hi Dr Peterson! I agree 100%. If a loved one is suffering, try telling them that their suffering doesn't matter, and see how far that gets you.