Toys R Us files bankruptcy

What went wrong?

Other urls found in this thread:

nytimes.com/2015/09/30/us/toys-r-us-brings-temporary-foreign-workers-to-us-to-move-jobs-overseas.html?mcubz=0
archive.is/L0aFP
therockfather.com/news-and-reviews/toy-and-games/item/5499-tru-kbconnection
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Brown families steal toys instead of buying them.

Because despite their volume buying, they weren't willing to pass those savings on to consumers. They were pretty expensive.

kids just want to play on their parents iphone instead of toys

Amazon is cheaper, ToysRus waited to long to get into the internet game, and brick and mortar stores along with the logistics and wages make it impossible to compete. Same as Sears, RadioShack and eventually Gamestop once tech moves beyond consoles and disks.

Not enough diversity in their doll selection.

Pretty much this. Why would I choose to go to the shitty Toys R Us that hasn't been updated since the 90s when I can get the same toys in arguably better condition and not covered in nigger goo delivered to my house for the same price if not cheaper.

Parents just give their kids a (((smartphone))) now and it provides more hours of entertainment than anything they could buy at Toys R Us.

huh so is it actually shutting its doors or is it just restructuring.

They failed to modernize their stores, much like Kmart.

Id be shocked if it wasnt the kiss of death. Retail in general is dying a slow, well deserved death IMO

Rus Toys

Kids too busy watching finger family.

They got greedy and it bit them in the ass. Why don't you ever learn from other peoples mistakes? BestBuy is the next one to go!!! Then Gamestop. Their business model is almost the same!!

Everyone who knows about investing and researches Toys R US decides it's a poorly run company. Usually for several different reasons that change over the years. Here's a non-investing reason: they could corner the secondary lego market but are too stupid to consider it. The average Star Wars lego appreciates 16% a year after the set is retired. One of the most liquid collectables, an unopened lego is a financial product. Lego itself doesn't cash in because they dodge taxes by being a 'educational company' . Which means they draw the ire of their EU masters if they game their system. Toys R US is too stupid to build extra warehouses and sit on surplus lego for a few years

Kids want memes not toys.

Amazon

because no kid plays with toys anymore, its all video games

I think it will shutter most retail locations and step up their e-commerce game (their site is an absolute joke). One of the only things Toys R Us has done right is negotiate directly with toy makers. A money infusion alone won't cut it though. If they overhaul management, I think they'll rebound

Amazon

This. Trends and Amazon

use to work there. They dont know how to capitalize on selling certain times. Decided to push babies r us into toys r us stores so they ended up rebuilding a ton of stores when they could have just consolidated locations. Very few items in the building would actually sell pretty well. They invested too much into shit items that take up space, our store honestly had at least 40% merchandise that was considered dead wood.

Amazon is a big factor in them going bottoms up. Funny enough I actually work for Amazon now.

Fuck you. The best part about going to Toy R Us is the fact that they havent updated and brings me great nostalgia. I love seeing the giant giraffe man as I walk in.

>mfw have Home Depot shares
That particular chain should be ok for awhile, I doubt Amazon is getting into the lumber and cement business

GoyPad and jewtube

I read an article today and apparently Best buy is doing well sales wise. But then again that's not surprising considering the competition is becoming obsolete by the day. I think Staples will fall before best buy tho

jews sjws and leftists destroying the nuclear family

They got rid of the /slips/ you needed to buy video games.

I stopped going when that went away.

Toys r us needed to be an experience, not just another shopping trip. Each store needed something the kids would want to go there to experience. Like in Japan where their toy stores have giant moving Gundam robots or light up floor tiles as you walk around the electronics aisles. Someone needs to be there to greet the family and direct them to what the child is looking for. There's no reason to shoot at toys r us when you can get cheaper products at Walmart and Amazon. But if they had made going there an experience, like going out to dinner instead of just cooking your own meal, they'd still be around.

Even before smartphones, it was a pretty shitty business model. I worked a seasonal position and they said they made about 70% of their yearly revenue in the last 3 months of the year. Then they just hire a bunch of poorly trained people around october and fire them christmas eve. They just sit there barely selling toys for birthdays and report card season throughout the rest of the year. A lot of toys r uses would combine with babies r us which offers them a much more consistent revenue stream, so I'm wondering if babies r us will save some toys r us locations or if even babies r us is dying

even if they did, the nature of construction projects is they always need 2 trips to home depot to get it done. Imagine having to wait a day or two for amazon to ship you an extra fucking 2x4.

I have a kid, and my kid doesn't wanna go to a toy store unlike when I was a kid 20 years ago.
When he wants a toy, he just asks me to order it on Amazon.
Going to a gigantic toy store used to be such a great experience back in 90s.

>nigger goo

never change Sup Forums, never change.

Yeah, home depot will be fine. Hardware stores and lumber yards are hard to replicate online. And there are lots of opportunities for installation type services. Retail that can be replicated online is going to be completely dead soon.

fpbp

this right here. Worked there for 4 years. Would only get in the black after December every year. Babies R us shoppers saved my store during the off season as their items were pretty expensive and people actually shopped there daily.

No one shops for toys daily and that is a key factor on why the business was doomed to fail.

Ipads & vidya games

Forcing their distribution employees to train their Pajeet replacements before they too got fired and the whole operation moved to India. Fuck them and their outsourcing. Trump curse strikes again.

I bought there my science kit once, but some mexican stole it here.

Used to work there, too, and you have it right.

In addition to that, they put pop up stores all around the country in malls for the holidays only. Every one I heard of did terribly -- firstly, malls are dying, and secondly, they were putting them in malls 5-30 minutes away from their full-sized stores. 90% of the closing shifts I worked were under $20 in sales; about 20% with no sales.

>their parents phone
Kids now get a goyphone by the time they are 8 or so.

amazonphalice.jpg

>moving beyond consoles and discs
you know I've been hearing this for over a decade and we aren't any closer to it actually happening. fucking delusional pctards.

Not yet while they still have good goys to buy their stupid discs and meme boxs.

I fucking work here. Goddam it

comfy-ass job

Sounds pretty depressing. Were the other employees conscious of business failing?

>Be NEET for a long time
>Finally get over depression and muster the courage to go out and finally get a job
>All the retail stores will probably close within the next 3 years

Just. cuck. my. Shit. Up. Senpai

Honestly..... The only jobs that are going to be available when all retails close is UPS, Fed Ex, DHL, or USPS.....

I need to get a CDL License....

Not investing in bitcoin.

Lego is so based

I didn't. In fact they hired me in June.

>55D printed houses by 2021

Amazon and video game revolution

>reminder that toys r us
>brought over pajeets on h1b visas
>forced white employees to be shadowed by pajeets that took notes of their every move and even followed them to the bathroom
>Any white employee that refused was fired on the spot
>after a few months pajeets went back to india
>white people were fired
>toys r us moved the facility to india and hired the pajeets that they had ghost the white employees in america
nytimes.com/2015/09/30/us/toys-r-us-brings-temporary-foreign-workers-to-us-to-move-jobs-overseas.html?mcubz=0

Archived
archive.is/L0aFP

-Too large a store and merchandise for too little customers 9 months out of the year
-Sold product at competitors price or higher
-Very little competitive edge other than more selection in one physical location
-Toy market decline, not to say still declining, but as video games became more popular, less and less people wanted toys. The toy market used to be 0-15 years old and some older. Since 2005 its been 0-13 years old. But then again, now the tablet market its starting to make that age even younger.
-Most importantly, the internet. They waited a while to get on board and sites like amazon offer every single toy period, plus the manufacturers now will sell through their own site. Why buy fight to get Barbie at Toys R Us, when you can just order barbie?

Its a little sad, and I worked at Toys R Us for like 2 weeks back in 2014. Wasn't too bad, except weekends.

Ill add it to the copypasta since these retards are going to be making this thread multiple times a day.
As always, your services are appreciated. (though clicks on these types of articles are beneficial for changing the system)

therockfather.com/news-and-reviews/toy-and-games/item/5499-tru-kbconnection
Toy Killer: Is Bain Capital Positioning Toys "R" Us to be a Repeat of KB Toys?
A 2012 Rolling Stone feature entitled "Greed and Debt: The True Story of Mitt Romney and Bain Capital" should be required reading for anyone interested in toys, retail or just business in general. It sheds light on the blueprint for how not to do things - a lesson in why just because you can do things, that doesn't mean you should. That means legally dismantling successful American businesses that have been built the old-fashioned way (with hard work) just to kill them, strip the corpses and cash-in on a "dividend."

Bain killed Toys R Us and Kay Bees.
John Donahoe who was the last CEO of eBay was also from Bain and look at what happened with the Chinese completely taking over the site.

>moving industries to Pooland
>surprised when poos fail

In currently in the middle of training my replacements. They're utterly fucking incompetent.

As a current Toys R Us employee, FPBP.

Because of a leveraged buyout that saddled them with a bunch of debt they couldn't get out from under but not before "the smartest guys in the room" fleeced whatever wasn't nailed down for their own personal profit.

Work at a grocery store for your first job, that's what I did

I think you're wrong on that.
Best Buy is still doing well, they update with the times and their online game is "tight".
Their biggest problem is price and ZERO incentive to buy from them.
They charge full price if not more. And while they have "points",
1. It takes literally HUNDREDS of dollars to earn enough points for their rewards like discounts or coupons. AND you have to use earn them and use them with in the year.
So like, unless you completely furnish your entire house in one year, and then you want like a coupon or discount to use to do your Christmas shopping, its all fucking pointless.
Come January 1st, all those points you earned and money you spent is RESET.
Its especially retarded as the biggest purchases at Best Buy is July and August and November and December, Back to school and Christmas respectively.

As for gamestop, I think they're doing fine. Their brick and mortar store brings the advantage of selling your games and electronics without shipping or waiting. Plus midnight releases.
They also offer a fair amount of bonus stuff like special codes when you buy from them.
And its easier to accrue points with them as
1. You're more likely to buy multiple games in one year
2. Their point system is much better. For like $100 (which is like just 2 new games), you can earn like a 10% discount on a used game, and the more you spend the better the coupon gets.
A used game isn't that bad. Plus they've stayed relevant buy selling gamer fan merchandise like figures, book bags, and more.

>In currently in the middle of training my replacements.
Why are you training them user?

>white people buying everything online & killing the high street because they don't want to step outside and interact with non-whites

Not him, but many, many, many companies make you train your replacement.
1. Sometimes they don't tell you that they're YOUR replacement
2. Sometimes its to punish you. My mom got into trouble with the company before she retired. They threatened to take away her pension if she didn't train her replacement or even just fire her before she retired.
3. Its sometimes a better option. You can either be terminated on the spot OR you could still get paid for 3 more weeks as you get to stay and train your replacement.

fukken hell, i miss the 90s

>tfw you will never relive grabbing those vidya tickets and viewing that glorious sealed vidya cabinet afterwards

feels bad men

kinda are tho. Latest consoles are all x86 now, so basically cheap PCs with special gpus, and you don't need to buy games on discs any more, just download them.

sorry were out of that one. heartbroken.

I used to love ToysRus.

It was my favorite place to walk through when we went to a city, I almost never bought anything there though because they are expensive as fuck. smaller toy stores were almost always cheaper with everything.

I was in one just last week for some nostalgia, and i dont know if toys have gotten more shit, or niggers dont like good toys so they dont stock it, but there was nothing interesting in it. It used to have an entire section for legos, now it has a 1m wide shelf, with not a single technic set.

> you don't need to buy games on discs any more, just download them.
where have you been? the trend was to move to downloading maybe 5 years ago, but thats before companies realized they cant win against piracy. the trend since then has been to improve physical copies of games to give paying players some un-piratable product, and thus discourage piracy. this includes shit like maps, figurines, novelty usb sticks, art books and all that shit. What used to be collectors editions are now being pushed as the standard game ,and collectors editions are moved up to >$500 products.

>tfw mum and dad took you to toys r us to buy anything within moderate price range if i was a good goy

i'll never feel excitement like that ever again

DEY TOUK'ER JERBS!!!!!!!

A major client became a competitor.

>The only jobs that are going to be available when all retails close is UPS, Fed Ex, DHL, or USPS....

Dude logistics is waaayyy better than retail. You shouldn't even be waiting.

They failed to adapt their business model for the last three decades. They charged as much as the locally owned toystore, if not more, and tried to maintain the large mcwarehouse stores that they ran their business out of.

Given the choice of toysrus, orshopping locally or online in convenience, toysrus will always loose.

With Lego sets being so expensive nowadays that store looks like Fort Knox.

I get 5% cash back with my amazon visa, retail is fucked.

Lego is still the top tier toy, I'm 30 and just bought this for myself.

When will the Trump Recession end?!?!??!

Nice. Recently bought a Death Star from Lego land with my gf. Should of seen her nephew's face, little brat thought it was for him.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHHAAHAHAHHAHAA

Hold the phone, I think someone's on the Spectrum.