I've noticed that the rent prices in my area have been increasing...

I've noticed that the rent prices in my area have been increasing. This is along with housing prices which have been steadily increasing since the 1970s. As the population increases, demand for housing will always be there and landowners will be able to charge any price they want. As a low income earner, more than half of my salary will be spent just paying for rent. I will have no money after utilities, food, and taxes. I don't even know how I'll be able to afford things like mandatory insurance, gas, internet, and healthcare bills. Is this the American dream people were talking about? Is this the American dream that has been promised?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Aaq2UXW0krA&t=827s
nakedcapitalism.com/2017/09/wall-street-owns-main-street-literally.html
zillow.com/homes/for_sale/0-149999_price/0-549_mp/globalrelevanceex_sort/42.714227,-70.843964,42.144568,-71.781922_rect/9_zm/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Why are you so shit at earning money?

Then go to school and get certified for something besides what you're doing now
>t. low income earner

Rents increasing in one place means they decrease somewhere else usually. If you really were to look, you could probably find places where you can work with low cost of living, maybe even higher income since people are leaving. Housing market has people behaving illogically or rather uneconomically, because everybody wants to live in the "hip" city which will drive up prices more and more, but other cities will decline, because they're seen as uncool. Yet many companies will remain even there and the smart people will just move there, make big bucks while having to "suffer" from not belonging to some hip urban crowd or going party everyday in the innercity.

>This is along with housing prices which have been steadily increasing since the 1970s
Pic related

The average wage in this country is 33k a year. Wages simply are too low for the average citizen.

I already finished uni

Interesting take but I can't afford to pack up and move to a new state all of a sudden. I don't even live in a very large city, but I need somewhere where there are job opportunities and those usually tend to be in cities.

there's still hope

Holy fuck and I thought we'd shifted hard, but burgers used to earn a house a year on average? Sickening what has been done to us.

My sister bought a run down shit hole bought in the fifties in a bad part of town... for 400k. My parents bought a bigger, nicer, more recently built home in a better part of town for 50k back in the nineties, which is equivalent to about 80k today.

What a time to be alive.

I hope so. For Goebbels, tt got better but then it got worse. It didn't end well.

If you don't own a house here already you pretty much have to rent. We basically have to pay tax twice, once to the government and another for the property owners.

I hear you user, shit is fucked. And there isn't much hope that it will get better as the population grows.

Every time I see a post like this I just think to myself

"move out of the city then you fucking retard"

I need a job. Silly leaf.

That's retarded as fuck what you just said there my man.

Housing prices have been steadily increasing at a much higher rate than salaries.

There's not a magical place where prices are decreasing to balance it. Maybe in fucking Africa.

>haha, idiots! college is for morons, i won't let them indoctrinate me!
>how come i can't afford to live in a decent house? why dont people hire unskilled dipshits?

Sup Forums in a nutshell. unless you got some nepotism to latch onto or are content picking up a trade for ~50k a year, go get a degree and subsequently a decent job.

Oh shit sorry man. Continue being a failure. My bad.

Even people who go to fucking college can't afford houses, you absolute fucking moron. Nobody is earning enough to pay for a 400-900k house on a degree.

>J-just don't live near a city

You think there are any fucking well paying jobs for degree holders out in the sticks?

This is pretty much me. There's objectively nothing to get excited about if it isn't related to personal hobby items. We have much more recreational activities, sure, but our quality of life by a classic standard has been tanking. Who's fault is it? Obviously our own, just look at our elders, they had to work too.

spend thousands on useless paper
or
destroy your body with manual labor
or
compete with pajeets for tech jobs
or
compete with Mexicans in landscaping and construction
or
be a wage slave to a huge corporate entity...
sounds fun

Kek see I already finished uni
And I don't even care if I live in a house with a yard. It would be better but I can't afford that. Just give me a shitty little apartment that is affordable and doesn't take up more than half my salary.

Not everyone can afford to be a NEET
This

A lot of Africans are in IT curiously enough. Still funny accents, just less shit smears on toilets.

What iz eelectrik geetar?

Hey guys hen pursuing a career or job check out the bls.gov website or just google the job followed by "bureau of labor statistics", they have tons of information and statistics. If you're autistic like me you'll see life even more like some kind of MMORPG

When*

We're all in the same boat. Whinging about it isn't solving anything.

Think outside the box, the tiny house movement is what many our age are having to turn to to get moved out without being shafted on costs. That or a million other alternatives that you'll make excuses for not being able to do or think of.

Not a neet. Far from it.

It's a bit ignorant to assume that 100% of the cost increases in rent is due solely due to basic "Supply-demand" projections, and not go into total economic scrutiny.

For one, as the US dollar devalues due to inflation, what USED to be a $600 a month studio is now worth more simply because the dollar is worth less; an equal value must result in an increased cost.

Secondly, you have to figure in overhead and maintenance. For every honest, hardworking guy that pays his rent and bleeds his check dry for shelter expenses, there's a number of others (Typically illegals or basketball americans) who don't pay their rent on time (if ever), squat in the apartment until forced out by a sheriff, and trash the place beforehand. Every day spent on repairs and maintenance is a day the landlord cannot rent that space out.

and no one that lives in the country has a job, right? that's why country houses are free and people that live in the country don't have a mortgage?

there is a reason that people commute into the city, moron: it's way way fucking cheaper
a country house one hour from the city costs like 1/5th the price to maintain compared to a city house. country homes are affordable for young people right fucking now, you're all just too fucking stupid to figure it out

Is the average really only 33k? $16/hr being the average... that is profoundly fucked.

It is getting very bad, user, you are right.

They say, why don't you move to Mexico or some other place where you can live like a king for 1000 USD/month? Right, you move there and promptly get your head cut.

The capital is now flowing from all over the world. The rich buy houses as an investment, do not even bother to rent them, even on AirBNB, driving prices through the roof. All new development is for the luxury housing, around 80% or so. People are getting squeezed from all sides, I do not know how long this could continue, really....

It also doesnt help that these faggots from the city where the wages are higher go buy up homes in smaller areas and turn them into rentals. THAT is what's bullshit. If there were proper restrictions on home usage, these homes could drop in price and be sold to locals. Instead, faggot ass sociopaths buy them up. How ahout the dickhead from New York who bought a house in crested butte, CO, so they could ski for a month out of the year? THAT should be illegal. Now they are renting it on airbnb like the other faggots. Why not make that illegal, sell the house to a local, and build a fucking motel for these cunts who want to play in the snow?
I tell ya, these wealthy faggots who have no regard for other human beings are the problem. It's been proven in every psychological test.

>Whinging about it isn't solving anything.
We NEED to identify the problems in society so we can FIX them. Any ideas?
>Think outside the box, the tiny house movement is what many our age are having to turn to to get moved out without being shafted on costs.
Great, so cuck sheds while Jamal sleeps in his McMansion. Looks like they have already won. Meanwhile, we have 15 million empty unoccupied homes. We are living in some of the most productive times in history. But it just doesn't feel like that.

>We NEED to identify the problems in society so we can FIX them. Any ideas?
buy a country home for 1/5th the cost of a home in the suburbs and commute to work you fucking retard holy shit

tiny houses are fire hazard, plus it is the intermediate step to desensitize the populace to living in "coffin" boxes, like they do in Japan. Is this really a pinnacle of the progress of our civilization??

We live in the most advanced, rich time. But only if you were born into a wealthy family are you going to see it benefit you beyond video games, consumable electronics and media.

Im rich as fuck and bought a 5 bedroom house for £360,000. Except its 2000 square ft, which is the size of an american bedroom.

Trying real hard to not die alone, but it aint easy.

oh boy sure do love my 3 hour commute to barely afford to live

Jamal is sleeping in that McMansion but you know he's in massive debt because of it. And most of those houses are cheap, cookie cutter buildings with no yards and shit quality.

>what is wear and tear
>what is gas
>what is hazardous weather

All the houses out there are even more expensive because all the rich people have mansions there. There are no apartments there anyway so your point is moot.

Yah that's the average. It's pretty fucked.

I don't get it. We're living in some of the most prosperous and productive times, but it doesn't feel like it.
This shit depresses me. And this is where we are headed. Cramming people into cages and closets like sardines.
>Trying real hard to not die alone, but it aint easy.
This is another fucking problem but another story altogether.

Tiny houses aren't inexpensive, they're just retarded and meant to normalize a decreased standard of living

I would rather die than live in one

I lived in the fucking boondocks of Kentucky. The poorest of the poor and you can't get a built house for less than 200k. A double wide trailer will cost you $150k to 300k and single wide goes for about 80k to 150k. It is fucking madness.

That genuinely isn't a lot unless you have a one bedroom apartment. And it isn't a lot if you need five digits for a kidney stone. I thought my dream goal of at least 40k a year was a low one... but I guess it'll put me above at least half of the population. That's disturbing.

Land value taxation would fix most of our problems

youtube.com/watch?v=Aaq2UXW0krA&t=827s

It is the one solution (((they))) don't want you to be aware of. Also keep in mind that ALL rich people would hate it if you knew this because it would hit them the hardest.

Im a fit, wealthy, reasonably attractive guy. Getting a woman interested in me is like pulling fucking teeth. Ive been tindering for about a month and do well on matches, but there is something seriously broken with most women. Like they've spent 30 years listening to advice from their girlfriends about how they have to play hard to get, and the net result is they stay single until they are 35 then kill themselves.

A single wide trailer costs that much? I refuse to believe that.

Oh shit, that's true... I never thought about that.

Does anyone have a graph / infographic of house prices vs mean income over the last 4 or 5 decades?

Because there is some reel bullshit going on there.

This one ?

Nothing to see here folks, just the unavoidable result of debt with compound interest

> I don't get it. We're living in some of the most prosperous and productive times, but it doesn't feel like it.

I think it is because all perk get sucked out by the rich, leaving the rest of us nothing. Overpopulation does not help either, human life loses value, people become 100% disposable and can be replaced at any moment. The increasingly numerous masses fight each other for scraps, this is what we have atm.

Why didnt/dont you get trade/medical/IT/tech certified you cuntpop

You can get one second hand or repoed for pretty cheap; 10 to 30k range, which is what the home selling lots are filled with where I'm from. A new one is a different story.

We have identified the problem. Houses are expensive. Yes.

Whatever the solution is to this problem (i don't know) and even if by some intellectual miracle you figure it out, you then need to actually go out there and somehow fix things in order to make houses cheaper again. Not happening.

I dont think that praying for an easier life is the answer. Pray to be stronger men blah blah. Sure the systems fucked but what are you gonna do about it, really. Ive chosen the cuck shed (out of many other alternatives) as my first step out of the parents place because its better than being stuck with the parents until death or never having any free money ever again.

Such whingey moan thread. Very inaction.

The average cost of a home is $280,000. So you can get one cheaper than that. It isn't unreasonable to spend 30 to 40 percent of your pre-tax income on housing. That would mean you could hypothetical have home when you are making ~50k/yr.

Some places have a higher income to cost of living ratio. It is not a pure trade where you can only have a high paying job if you live in an expensive place. I believe the best average pay/cost of living ratio is in Minnesota.

Too late, I've invested a lot of time and money into my current degree

See this is the difference in mindset between Americans and some of you Brits. We're allowed to bear arms while you have to bin that knife. This problem needs to enter the mainstream consciousness.

I've heard from a number of people we're in the midst of another housing bubble and I tend to agree. Anyone else think so?

Plus, the people that buy these houses get them on extended mortgage plans with jacked up interest rates that jack up the prices upwards of 3 times the sticker.

Madness, fucking madness.

Even if it happens it's going to be a blip and prices will skyrocket after.

what's your postal code and I bet I can find an affordable home within one hour. it's really not that hard so I'm convinced you literally didn't even look

Grow the fuck up, you're a working adult for fucks sake and you're complaining about the price of gas and wear and tear on a home? Drive a car with good mileage and fix the house you fucking useless mong

Go online, meet nut jobs with serious daddy issues. Try to meet a woman in public, RAAAAAAAAAAAPE

Read "The Hollow Men". It's very reminiscent of how life is now, and what it will become. Funny how it was written almost a century ago.

I live in nyc and can confirm. Many people are moving to New Jersey and Connecticut due to super low real estate prices and a bunch of new office complexes being filled up by companies escaping the ((exorbitant rent prices))

>Too late, I've invested a lot of time and money into my current degree
Fix your attitude, faggot. There's flips, spics, and niggers making $15-25/hr as an x-ray technician after spending a couple months at community college. Git fucking gud.

Van Dwelling will get more popular. The infrastructure is there now. You can do bathing at gyms; eat many meals at grocery store cafes and do computing at libraries and schools.

All that is left is a place to sleep.

Most people will just live in their cars. That will reset the home value. The trend is picking up fast now.

That's dizzying.

To be fair, 50k/yr is a shit ton of money. I could easily save at least half of that given my current living situation. Also speaking as a poor guy who came from a poor family who at least did pool together resources so we were never in a bad spot, I'd rather just save up and then get one personally built. I wouldn't be comfortable buying otherwise.

I don't think so.

>drive constantly from secluded home to presumably city job
>wear and tear
>on a house

I almost thought you weren't stupid until you said that.

I have considered van living

A lot of it is because of EPA bullshit and environmental regulations. Dumbass lefties think they're saving the environment and endangered puddle shrimp or whatever but really they are defending bullshit from the big capitalist class that keeps their property values inflated by making it expensive or impossible to develop any more housing and lets landlords charge higher and higher rents.

>tfw white
>tfw just bought a house at 23 and am married, have a two year old boy and the wife is pregnant with another.
>she cooks, cleans, does the laundry all the stuff a stay at home mom should do
Living the 50's dream here lads

>he chose a meme job
Nigger I get payed to study and I've not started working.

I respect that you take care of your wife's sons.

You got me there. Best of luck shaking your fist at the world from the parents bedroom and being the victim. All the best for a fufilling life.

Consider learning how to build a house. Me and my father built a 40ft wide, 60ft long, 25ft high pole barn with a nice tin roof for 6k in 2 weeks. It wouldn't cost that much to wall it in and insulate it.

>bought a house at 23
I too wish daddy bought me things. I had to start off from the ground up to get only where I am now because my family couldn't afford to do anything except take care of their own needs.

I pay 2,200 a month for this and the lease says i'm not allowed to smoke inside my own fucking apartment or have guns

find me something reasonable in MA less than 150K
land plots are 90k...........

You have feminism to thank.
It literally doubled the amount of available workers and allowed politicians to play individuals against each other rather than have to create family oriented policy. When only men could vote almost every man was married and voted in the best interest of his family not just himself. Women's Suffrage was a mistake.
More robust explanantion attached.

>no guns
Why do you live in a communist state?

3 hour commute in car
totally not hundreds of miles each week

>payed to study
>I've not started working

Woah lol you must be really smart to have such a command over the english language

take off your meme flag shitskin, how many gibs are you getting from Britain to rape kids?

I'm looking into living on a sailboat. Comfy as fuck and once you pay off the boat, moorage is $200-$300 a month. All sorts of money for activities.

well land plots are around 90K where I live so that's still fucked

Yeah but the average person with a bachelors degree is making that much 10 years into their career. Even then it is not necessarily a good financial decision to purchase a home. Also you could have a house when you are making less than that but OP was complaining about spending too much of his income on housing.

Another question is whether owning a house is ever really such a great thing. There are benefits too it but there are some major issues too (eg. being responsible for repairs, not being able to liquidate it quickly, and having to pay rent to the govt).

No it is meant get us out of the parents place for as cheaply as possible while being comfy AF.

Rather die? Ha. Rather live with parents until death you mean.

This is what 2 men, working their asses off for 2 weeks in the pouring rain can do with a little help from youtube. Thing is solid as a fuckin rock.

looks cozy however expensive

That's what I mean when I said >gas in my previous post. I know people who drive over an hour to work, and that's light compared to some of the others. I thankfully only have to go 16.9 miles. Gas and wear and tear on your car will cost you a lot. And if there's bad weather or your car shits out on you, you are objectively fucked unless you can work from home... and if you can, why the fuck would you drive it to begin with.

Im doing a cadet ship for officer of the watch. Stop being jealous cause you fell for the STEM meme.
Also I don't know why my IP changed.

They're mine Hans
The house was $200,000 so it's feasible for a regular person but yes, I'm "privledged" and I'm super grateful that her parents gave us 10,000 back as a wedding present and my parents gave us 10,000 to help with the down payment so that certainly helped, but a 100% financing option mortgage would be like 1,300 a month

Privileged*

I don't know if the government would like you building your own home. Isn't there a lot of regulation involved?

They're not cheap or comfy you stupid bong

God almighty euros are the worst. The absolute worst.

I own a couple properties. We rent out a 1000sqft house with garage and full basement for $1100 a month utilities NOT included. Northern indiana.

>Tiny houses aren't inexpensive
This. If you expect me to live in a glorified truck Uhaul trailer, I expect to pay tiny prices, not $50K-80K

2.2k for 729 sq ft. Holy shit that's 26.4 k a year. How is this allowed?

>But rents, oddly, are rising. In fact, in many parts of the Inland Empire, they are higher than the national average, despite the poor economic statistics of the area. One 2014 survey of a select group of renters conducted in Riverside, a city right next to San Bernardino, found that 63 percent of tenants were paying at least 30 percent of their monthly income in rent, a level that the US Department of Housing and Urban Development considers unaffordable (a full 33 percent were paying more than half of their income to landlords). This strange paradigm, of working-class people in a not particularly desirable economic area paying more than they should for rent, becomes a bit more understandable when you know who their landlord is—Invitation Homes, the property subsidiary of Blackstone Group, the world’s largest private equity firm, and of late the nation’s largest purchaser of single-family homes. Thanks to its bucketloads of cash, economies of scale, and creative accounting, it’s managed to price many individual buyers out of the housing market over the last few years, cashing in on the recovery in housing, even as it made money before and after the crash.

nakedcapitalism.com/2017/09/wall-street-owns-main-street-literally.html

It's the banks. It's always the banks.

Seen it done where I'm from a lot. Never seemed to be a problem.

You're not wrong. I entered IT finally and now it's all just getting experience and certs. If I stay into it by the time I'm 30, that'll get me some solid job chances. Gotta start somewhere.
Getting 20k from a marriage is by no means a small feat. It also says something about your family and hers. Can't say I'd get a house though. Especially given divorce rates today. But all the same, here's hoping it at least works. Or that you're lucky enough to never have to pay for any mistakes you make.

If you have OK credit, you can get a home loan. If you have bad credit, put all money towards getting finances in order.

Money management is the number one key to a happy life in this country. Not money it self but learning what your means are, and learning to live below them.

Money management > possessions, wants, etc.

Cmon user, you're not destitute just haven't learned the most important skill to a happy life: money management.

Did I mention money management?

Money fucking management!

>find me something reasonable in MA less than 150K

....the median price in MA is $377,000....

but here you go moron
zillow.com/homes/for_sale/0-149999_price/0-549_mp/globalrelevanceex_sort/42.714227,-70.843964,42.144568,-71.781922_rect/9_zm/

yeah, we heard it all. Save on food and eat shit (get sick and go destitute latter), do not spend anything on any fun activities, or god forbid, a vacay (get burned out and depressed)

money management is a code word for meager, hopeless, destitute existence where people wish they were dead already.