marumaru.in/?c=1/40&sort=subject&where=subject|tag&keyword=바키&uid=32256
marumaru.in/b/manga/32256
spinybackmanga.com/?manga=Baki Dou
mega.nz/#F!q9Ry1KIb!U38K4MYG4647-6GBVIHl2w
twitter.com/AnonBabble

NOT AN INSTRUMENT OF WAR

>take my hand, and together we shall rule the galaxy

>it's another "character gets destroyed by Musashi" chapter

I just finished watching the anime. What now? Move straight into New Grappler Baki manga?

Yes, right into New Grappler. That's where the real fun shit begins. Enjoy!

Poor gaia appears every 10 years and this time is to be made a bitch

I'm eagerly anticipating the time when I can get mad at Musashi shitting over everyone with the rest of you guys.

Yeah, I'm kinda pissed about that. All we can hope for is that Gaia is baiting. Those were pretty lame tricks that he pulled - I would think that even Baki could predict/dodge them. Everybody else has been slashed like 5 times before their fight ended though, and Gaia's only being cut once here, so I still hold out some hope that he'll do something cool and novel.

Urgent note: in an upcoming translated chapter, we're changing something which I feel that everybody reading should know exists. The reason is rather self-evident. Everybody ready?

Motobe refers to Jack as a "Pac-Man Cyborg".

Apparently in Japan, he has a better reputation as a biter than he does in the rest of the world. There is no way in hell we're keeping that. I'll make a version of the page where he *does* say that, but it's not going up anywhere but here.

I usually disagree with localizing references, but whatevs.

What nickname are you going to use then?

Can you actually take Motobe seriously for saying that? This is a unique case. We wouldn't change a reference or particular word unless it extremely clearly did not translate over, and this is the only time we'll have done it so far. If you can make a case for keeping it, please go for it - we always want to give the audience what they want to see. But I legitimately laughed really hard when I read the line. Totally destroyed any seriousness of the scene for me. Here's the full line:

>"When you're going up against the Pac-Man Cyborg Jack Hanma..."

All that aside, we're not quite agreed on a localization if any. One idea that's been thrown out there is the "jaws of life", which I think definitely gets the point across. If you - or anybody else reading this - has a better suggestion or an argument to keep it, please say so here.

What does the kanji used for Pac-Man mean? I thought the original Pac-Man was just katakana based on onomatopeia but there's kanji in

>Can you actually take Motobe seriously
Are you even supposed to?

Calls him a "Biting demon-looking man" in the kanji. Again, not something that translates.

Just call him Jaws

How about just "biting demon"?

never 5get Gaia's best moment
Also, I'm not fucking with you, these are actually the only raws for this volume. I don't know why. Probably gonna buy it and re-scan it at some point.

Still a more solid basis for a localization than just making stuff up.

Just Pac-Man

Calling him a Pac-Man Cyborg is already "making stuff up"; only it's Itagaki doing it therein, and not us. If he wanted Motobe to blatantly say that, he would have written it in katakana. This is a very common thing in manga - using furigana to give an alternate read against the actual text.

Authors tend to get much more leeway on the "making stuff up" axis than translators do.

can you link the full chap on that korean site? I'm having trouble navigating it

yuncomics.com/archives/1692559

Go to where the comments on the marumaru page start. Right above that is where the Dou chapters are listed.

Thank you.

This is better than what was said to you

marumaru.in/?c=1/40&sort=subject&where=subject|tag&keyword=바키&uid=32256

All of Baki in korean
The new chapters are always at the bottom

Translators *are* authors in a sense. Do you really think Berserk reads anything like what the Dark Horse scans say?

>All lies within the current of causality. Everything has been determined.
>All of your lives have been spun into this sacred point in time, "The Eclipse".
>The time is now at hand for us to perform the Invocation of Doom.

I very much doubt that's the exact same thing as what Miura wrote.

My point is that it's not a transgressive localization to change it to "jaws of life" or somesuch. It in no way violates the spirit of what's being said. I'm asking for suggestions or arguments, not methodical criticism.

Not him but thanks-

that's the exact same page as this, genius
marumaru.in/b/manga/32256

which is what he was referring to, as far as I could tell

bump
I'm waiting on something.

Was Sikorsky that weak? Or was Gaia just that good of a match-up for him?

Gaia was the perfect match-up for him. Plus, he'd already had the shit kicked out of him by Jack, which wasn't exactly fair. The Japanese seem to believe that Sikorsky was the strongest of the convicts.

He couldn't navigate the site as far as I could tell

Well, how about I just knock you flat on you're ass you troll, that sound any better to you? Just name the time and the place and I'll be there.

I only accept combat challenges from men and not midgets

that wasn't me

Who was the weakest convict?

I'd say Doyle.

That fight with Jack in the phone booth is one of the best in the series. That sort of pure visceral brutality that makes me come back to this series. I find Baki at its best in its convict arc, as convoluted as it is. It's up there along with China and the prison. Even despite the shit-scans you can feel the action, the pain.

Though to be fair to Sikorsky I only think Speck could do alright against Gaia going into beast mode.

Alright, if y'all can keep this thread alive for two and a half hours, I'll have a gift for you ready. I really don't want to have to make a new thread.

>Gaia going into beast mode

that's a thing to ponder actually

which of Gaia's personalities sparred with Motobe and is now facing Musashi?

maybe he's yet to get dangerous

Yanagi

Didn't he beat Shibukawa?

Doyle by far. He essentially lost to Koushou. That's probably the worst defeat any of the convicts could have.

>That fight with Jack in the phone booth is one of the best in the series
It's my second favorite, right behind Yuujiro vs Kaku. But like I said - I'll find some way to get better scans for it, just you wait.

Yeah and throwman was overrated

Yanagi was thoroughly stomped by Memetobe with weapons but before he trained for a year to become much stronger

so did Ali Jr.

'no'

delete this

He got better.

Reminder all he's doing there is pushing Jr. to be even better because he and Doppo saw his potential when they both got their ass beat clean

It is of course well known that the best way to make a boxer improve is to repeatedly give him career-ending injuries.

He's a grappler not a boxer

I vaguely remember gaia being hyped as the 2nd strongest man in the world after yujiro when he was first introduced.

Baki is the WWE of manga and Sup Forums baki threads are basically the Rocky Horror Picture Show/The Room showings

>Better scans for New Grappler Baki
Holy shit, I would pay money for this
Specifically for the scene where Jack hits the Russian so hard it rips out the sprinkler he's hanging on to

I sort of get that but seeing Ali Jr get shat on for 4 successive fights was a bit wierd

how did muhammad ali's son, who's a normal human, beat all the baki greats in 2 seconds flat and came this close to cucking the main character

explain this fuck bullshit

so will motobe just shoot musashi? will musashi accept that guns are superior to swords and start using guns? will we see gun kata?

>imaginary sniper rifle

The arc is weird

They were holding back.

So will Motobe just be another jobber for Musashi before the rematch with Baki, or will this be solved differently? Perhaps Motobe beats armed Musashi and Baki beats him unarmed, or something like that?

Too soon to tell.

Is Musashi worse than Pickle?

Gaia will get a little bit of a lead on Musashi, then he'll go hands mode and win. Motobe will fight him not knowing about hands mode and lose at the last second; followed by Baki fighting Musashi and winning just barely until Kaku steals the last hit.

ey guys how would you rank that bald midget from Scar Face Gaiden

I remember when i hated Baki. I thought the art was garbage and the manga was atrocious.

How wrong i was.

It's probably one of the best fighting manga out there and the art has a huge part of what make this manga so great.

Ideas for new arcs?

>Oliva
>Guevara
>Iron Mike
>Sirkosky
>Dorian
>Escaped Convicts 2: Electric Boogaloo

>more people revived
>aliens
>future baki arrives
>ww 3

Pickle family? Numerous old nipponese heroes get revived? Hindu gods?

Can't really see anything else.

All the fighters get together and just shoot the shit about what would be their perfect opponent and he comes alive through imagination

Brock Lesner

Gene splicing

The author made a big deal of showing Baki's ancestor described in Egyptian hieroglyphics under a pyramid.

Probably some Mummy Returns shit and Baki's Egyptian ancestor comes back to life.

The author is already doing supernatural shit like summoning Musashi's soul from the afterlife anyways.

That would be pretty cool actually.

>never 5get Gaia's best moment

The time he swooced right into someone's asshole and got out through his mouth?

How about there's a Fight Club twist and it turns out Baki and Yujiro are the same guy?

Seriously, just think about it.

Hello, dear friends, sorry that I'm late with the gift. I was shot while out shopping.
This isn't the gift, but in the meantime, we released two translated Dou chapters:

spinybackmanga.com/?manga=Baki Dou

The meme lord, in his almighty wisdom, has decided to defy the oh-so-powerful Hanmas. Praise the Lord for how him do Jack!

Moving on.
So the last few week's raws have been dull and boring. We all know what's going to happen, right? Even worse, we've found out that many things in old chapters aren't true. There *is* no Ian McGregor, Che is technically ethnically Japanese, Motobe didn't really stand up to that tank at Tianamen Square, etc. That's all rather disappointing. So I figured that the best way to alleviate this suffering would be to upload to Mega the entirety of the Baki serialization. Because these are the volume raws, they contain a number of differences from the magazine raws. I give them unto you in hopes that you find some enjoyment in them to tide over these bad times for new chapters, and inspire you to create your own truth regarding translations.

mega.nz/#F!q9Ry1KIb!U38K4MYG4647-6GBVIHl2w

As for myself, I'll just take simple pleasure in dumping a short day-in-the-life-of-Baki chapter that I think none of us got to see, as it was in the volume raws and not the real release.

Oh yeah, and I included Kenjin just for fun, as the raws for that are harder to find than the raws for the main series. In Volume 8 of Baki Dou, you will find a tribute volume that is separate from the rest of the work; a tribute to Retsu's life that Itagaki made.

Volume 13 of Hanma Baki (Son of Ogre), "Extra Stage".

Musashi (the dog) being clearly alive.

End log.

If anybody has anything to say about the pac-man thing, now's the time to say it. I'm probably going to typeset in an hour or two, so...

There's nothing to say really senpai,the whole pac-man thing sounds rather silly and it would probably take away from the seriousness of the scene.

I also hope your gunshot wound isn't too serious and it will not stop you from translating further baki chapters.

oke
ty

Hey, random question since you are here. What's Furuki fighting? Google gives me nothing.

That's a fuck-up from our translator at the time; he didn't know whether or not it was a made-up name for a style - like Xiao-Lee - or a literal translation, as Kaku says his point in an extremely weird, atypical way. Presumably because he's Chinese.

"Furuki" just means 'old times' or 'ancient times' in this context. In the raw (which I've attached), Kaku says "style" in Katakana-English directly after "furuki", so that's why he got mixed up. Overall, the line reads something like:
>Ah, a martial artist who celebrates the ancient styles of Japan.

Now that we have three people working translations, this sort of thing will never happen again. If it does, I'll make a public apology, make sure it's cleared up with readers; the whole nine yards.

So: any particular questions on the words? Any other questions? I'm here forever, so feel free to shoot.

Love the colours.

Isn't it kind of silly that Baki still goes to school?

Kinda. It's silly that he was able to go back to his regular school in Japan after kidnapping the fucking US President but, beyond that, I think it makes decent sense. Kozue is always bitching at him to go to school in the first series, so I imagine that's carried over. Also, we don't know if he *still* goes to school - that chapter was from early SoO. He's 19 now, so if he was going to high school consistently, he's surely graduated. Can't imagine Baki going to college; although that would be another fun one-off chapter to see, I guess.