So when did YOU start watching anime?

So when did YOU start watching anime?

DBZ when I was a kid

I resisted it from my weeb friends in high school.

But that damned little Chinaman in college made me watch it.

i took like 6 breaks

i started before toonami. i watched some weird satellite japan channel with yellow subs that aired GT and a few vhs movies.

last break was after klk, now i'm back to watching everything each season.

When I was a small child in the 1980s. I watched Maya the bee and stuff like that, not knowing what anime or even Japan was.

My mom rented Totoro from Blockbuster when I was a kid.

Yesterday

This is what I see when I look through this thread...

2012 in order to fit in on Sup Forums IRC channels

Started with Pokemon & studio Ghibli films like a plebian

Pokemon and other Shounen shit like Naruto when I was a little kid. I actually REALLY got into anime in 2013 with Attack on Titan

wow what a creative response, thanks for that friendo

>...

Tomorrow

please try your hardest starting today

When I felt like I wasn't enough of an autistic fuckwit.

Forever

I think it was 2008 when I fell into anime. Saw a poster of Haruhi in the local electronics store and wondered what that was about then later that day saw one of those shitty Youtube poop videos of "God Knows", recognised Haruhi and then watched the anime.

2001/2002

Around 1995, I think? With Captain Tsubasa, Ippatsu Kanta-kun, Yatterman and Dashu Kappei

9 months ago when my weeb friend lend me his collection

Before most of you kids were born.

I started watching seasonal anime in 2011

user, please, don't make me laugh.

like 6 months ago and I have better taste than the majority of you

Over a decade ago, I have transcended taste and enjoy all anime.

Even SAO? I only started watching anime less than a year ago and I still knew that was trash when I saw it.

Started watching DBZ, Pokemon, and Sailor Moon when I was a kid but stopped. 3-4 years ago I got back into anime.

Anime doesn't have to be objectively good to be enjoyable. I enjoyed the side stories and most of the girls' designs, even though some points were downright cringe worthy and I feel it would have been better if it had ended after the first season.

Fairly late, maybe around 2008? I fell for the katana meme and someone recommended me Bleach. Marathoned the manga up to where it was and that's where it started.

>Anime doesn't have to be objectively good to be enjoyable.
I was just saying something similar to this to my brother actually. I think there's something nice about sitting down and watching a cute little SoL anime that might not be winning any awards, but is destressing and harmless and fun. A lot of anime is like this and I think you've got to see it and enjoy it for what it is.

I know it was 2007 when I watched my first full show, Lucky Star on YouTube
Probably watched some Ghibli stuff before that; been downhill since.

Boku no batman

Probably when I was still in my father balls, he liked all those oldass anime like Gundam and Lupin.

i watched a couple miyazaki movies when i was a kid, but i didn't start watching anime until the beginning of 2013

ayy Lucky Star on Youtube was the second anime I watched

Just finished my 500th anime too.

Depends.

First anime series I technically watched? Speed Racer, but a lot of people consider that borderline.

First I watched that was in Japanese? Subbed Sailor Moon in the early 90s on one of the international channels.

First anime that got me into anime itself? Tenchi Muyo.

when I lost my dream

forced my parents to rent this every time we went to the video store

then some years later would only get up on saturday mornings to watch the scifi channel

unicorns and vampire hunter d have made me the sparkling example of social normalcy that i am today

1993..ish

Technically, stuff like Digimon and Dragon Ball.

I'd credit Naruto, Code Geass, and Welcome to the NHK as the shows that really got me started.

Not counting pokemon and that stuff

I downloaded my first anime at 2006, I from that was all downhill

*and

Does Transformers count? 80's, at any rate.

When I was 18-19
Far too late to truly enjoy anime

>there are people on Sup Forums right now who started watching anime with Kill la Kill

I went drinking with Osamu Tezuka every night.

The Last Unicorn gave me a thing for white-haired girls.

Also that sea of unicorns, damn.

how is that possible
i started in 2014 and i have yet to finish my 100th

When I was a young boy.

Started with Toonami

>The Last Unicorn gave me a thing for white-haired girls.

You should watch Green Legend Ran. It's all about the white haired girls and what makes them special. That is if you haven't already seen it, but I have a strong premonition that you have, my brethren of good taste and fun times.

I started watching anime when i was just in high school , crippling depression and social anxiety was not the "best" influence and then i say anime ...... then my world changed OH YEAH!!!

Bleach was my first

MY FATHER

I didn't, I read only manga.

>breaking global rules
enjoy your ban

And what rule would i be breaking ???

I watched a few like gundam wing/ F91, dragon ball, eva, sailor moon when I was 10-14.

And I started following seasonal shows around 2006-7 to now.

2003. The first anime I ever saw was Full Metal Panic.

WHAT RULE

>that little chinaman

Last month. I watched all the anime on netflix and love it.

Not that guy, but I feel you. Nobody is making you pick a side and stick to it. You can enjoy Shounen and Moe or whatever you want, more people need to understand that.

>>>/global/rules/15
Stupid horsefucker

>implying you wouldnt fuck a rainbow pastel pone

ctrl+f scifi

found

sup, brother. although in my part of the country, it was late saturday nights. tenchi muyo in love! was the first anime thing i ever saw and it blew me away because it was so different than american cartoons

'67, with Marine Boy and Kimba. Even back then I decided that Sup Forums > Sup Forums

Unofficially? Since I was a little kid (Unico, AstroBoy, Macross (as Robotech) various anime translated into French)
Officially? Around '94-'95 (Sailor Moon, Dragon Ball, The Bushbaby)

That's because you're a massive faggot and like sucking dick. Nothing wrong with that, man; it's 2016.

10 years ago or something.

I loved Pokemon and digimon back in the 90s when I was young. Didn't even know it was from a different country at the time. Then I watched adult swim and toonami when we got cartoon network around the time I was 14. Then I watched a few movies my dad recorded off cinema max around the time I was 16 as well as I borrowed the original ghost in the shell movie from a friend. I was hooked started pirating anime like a mad man off limewire. I remember watching gundam wing that way and then I got some 10 episodes into FMA when it got annouced for adult swim so I stopped pirating like a good little boy. So yeah I'd say between 8 and 16 is what really shapped my sensibilities regarding anime. I think watching Berserk around that time from Blockbuster really cemented it as well.

checked

After a trip to Japan with my school. I didn't frequent Sup Forums until much later.

I watched Maya, too in Germany without knowing it's an anime. I thought Japan was an evil nation which invaded USA in WWII. I didn't know our country was the biggest evil in those days.

watch more anime instead of posting newshit

First year of college in 2002. I don't remember why or what I first watched though

Started with Cardcaptor/Pokemon/Digimon.
Didn't start watching subs into a girl in middle school who I wanted to hang out with got me watching Bleach. My life went downhill from there.

>that little chinaman
Good one.

Holy shit, kill yourself newfag.

before your parents were born

When I was 12 I started watching dubbed bleach, FMA, death note, detective conan and GITS:SAC on local cartoon channel, after two months i couldnt wait for the 3rd season of bleach to be dubbed in czech, so I watched it online and catched up after two weeks. After that i quickly catched up with naruto, one piece and watched the whole dragonball. 300+ finished series by now

~2006 iirc

When Haruhi started spilling into all other boards, I decided I couldn't ignore Chinese cartoons anymore.

DBZ,Naruto,One Piece etc etc doesn't really count as starting to watch anime.

Most people at least in my enviroment watched these shows when we were kids. We always went to the library when we we're like seven to read detective conan and bought series like inuyasha and Shaman King.

If that really counts as "starting to watch anime" than many idiots started watching anime with 4-7.

I would say when you go on the internet and actively watch anime and share your opinion with others is the moment you can say "started to watch anime".

Used to trade badly subbed OVA VHS tapes in high school in the 80s. So somewhere around 85-86. Cyber City Oedo is still one of my favorites.

I work at a university and it always seems weird to me how many current fans struggle to hide their power levels.

>while knowing what anime was
22 years ago.
>without know what anime was
A few years before that, probably.

Somewhere between 1972-1973 I believe.

Wow

this

FUCKING OLDFAG DIE ALREADY REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Some dumb girl in high school was raving about anime, I was curious and decided to check it out, my life is now ruined forever

Was her name Louise?

I was a weeb when I was little then I became an edgy anti weeb because high school and now I just started watching some again

Started watching it on TV in the late '90s and my parents, mainly my dad, also got me into Ghibli films. Then, I found out that my cable provider offered a lot of shows on demand: NGE, Nadia:SoBW, Kaleido Star, Princess Tutu, Madlax, and probably a few others. Sometime around 2006 I got my own laptop and started watching anime on sites like Veoh, but ultimately found my way onto torrent sites. Been watching off and on since then.

>shitty youtubepoops
I actually miss those.