Does anybody here read books...

Does anybody here read books? I feel like it'd be damn near impossible to believe some of the things believed on this board if the majority of Sup Forums was well read.

I don't mean you found a meme based on a passage in "The Origin of Species" -I mean actually read a fucking book and understood its meaning.

How many of you have read:

"The Art of Worldly Wisdom" - Baltasar Gracian
"Republic" - Plato
"Politics" - Aristotle
"The 32 Tales of the Throne of Vikramaditya" - Unknown
"The Second Treatise of Government" - John Locke
"On the Social Contract" - Jean-Jacques Rousseau
"Art of War" - Sun Tzu
"The Origin of Species" - Charles Darwin
"The Wealth of Nations" - Adam Smith
"Rights of Man" - Thomas Paine

Fiction readers need not reply.

Other urls found in this thread:

reitzmemorial.org/Downloads/Beatty Speech to Montag Excerpt.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I'll add some more:

"The Holy Bible" - King James Edition
"Qu'ran" - Unknown
Any writings of any 17, 18, or 19th century philosophers?

“...it is all wrong that a person who is going to be deemed worthy of the office should himself solicit it... for no one who is not ambitious would ask to hold office.” - Aristotle

You've got to be shitting me. No one on Sup Forums read the fucking "Rights of Man"???

Aristotle was a faggot
>be Aristotle
>learn under Plato, the best philosopher of the time
>wait for him to die to say stuff against his ideas like a fucking bitch
>make up a bunch of bullshit about a lot of stuff, almost all of which is proven false at much later point
>be teacher to fucking Alexander
>Alexander finds a hobo who masturbates in public and finds him a more interesting philosopher than Aristotle
What a fag.

Notice Plato's on the list too?

I've read all those but Gracian and Darwin. What's your point faggot?

Its not like the republic is any better, Plato must be the first example of strawman arguments in hisotry. There isnt a single novel concept from platos republic that has been used successfully in all of history.

>How to win friends and influence people
>The Holy Bible kjv
>The prince
>The wealth of nations
>Atlas shrugged (no more a fiction than platos republic)
>1984 (see above)
These are the Sup Forums required reading list

I suppose my assumption would people wouldn't go around advocating wanton genocide and self aggrandizement if they read more books?

Yes, I would agree everything you listed is a worthy read for the well read man. I'm less inclined to enjoy Ayn Rand's books having known her biases, though.

To get more modern, a lot of Robert Greene's books are pretty good. I found Mastery to be especially helpful as I started out in my career.

Only trash. This is pretty good tho.
reitzmemorial.org/Downloads/Beatty Speech to Montag Excerpt.pdf

>advocating wanton genocide and self aggrandizement if they read more books?

>want us to read both Plato and Darwin
>not end up advocating for genocide

But did I say ONLY Darwin and Plato?

I've read all but Smith, Paine, Locke and Rousseau. Not too interested in the enlightenment, sorry. I'd read Locke and Rousseau, though.

>"The 32 Tales of the Throne of Vikramaditya" - Unknown
>"The Holy Bible" - King James Edition
>"Qu'ran" - Unknown
>Fiction readers need not reply.
What did OP mean by this?

you can add 'Go Rin No Sho' or Book of Five
Rings, if youve got SunTzu Bing Fa on there already

I only read history. Philosophy is for fags.

One of my hobbies is making bait threads to catch Sup Forumstards being stupid.

My conclusion is not only do these people not read books but their understanding of high school knowledge, or sometimes even below that, is questionable.

Sorry, by "fiction" I mean "Harry Potter" and the like.

I would have but didn't want to lead with too much non-European authors lest I incur the wrath of Sup Forums.

I agree history texts are also important. But to know the events of history as they are written by the victor are not necessarily an accurate reflection of events as they were. Hence the supreme importance of primary sources.

Mein Kumpf is pretty non radial. Hitler was a smart dude and says some pretty coherent simple non radical things. Good read.

He says don't breed with the disabled or handicapped. How in the ever living fuck is that bad?! TELL ME! He said all races should breed with their own! Again how is that radical!!??

>Lists the wealth of nations and many other books with dated views and ideas

Seriously, how do you expect us to take you seriously? Most, if not, all of the ideas put forth by the authors of these books have been debunk since then. Their views and ideas are dated.

Why would "The Wealth of Nations," a book on 18th century economics be relevant today?

The only real wisdom to be found in literature today is in fiction. Also no OP, most of us haven't read The Rights of Man. Rights dont exist, its a worthless concept so we wont waste our time.

I have read Mein Kampf but didn't find it to be particularly groundbreaking or noteworthy. Taken by itself, I would consider it barely near plagiarism to some of the other works in this thread.

So its really more that you just dont understand what people here think and why. Peaceful cohabitation between radically different groups of people is unsustainable and a net negative for those involved. See the study "bowling alone" and read up on south african history. If we were allowed to peacefully separate no one here would care if other groups of people survived and thrived. If it comes down to "us" vs "them" however, I'd be willing to finish off every one of "them" to ensure the survival of "us." Why should we be made to do things that are directly against our interests for the sake of people that hate us?

I can't read

It my be fiction but that doesn't make the boredom you feel when reading it fictional. Truly, it is one of the dullest franchises in history. Seriously each episode following the boy wizard and his pals from Hogwarts Academy as they fight assorted villains has been indistinguishable from the others. Aside from the gloomy imagery, the series’ only consistency has been its lack of excitement and ineffective use of special effects, all to make magic unmagical, to make action seem inert.

Perhaps the die was cast when Rowling vetoed the idea of Spielberg directing the series; she made sure the series would never be mistaken for a work of art that meant anything to anybody?just ridiculously profitable cross-promotion for her books. The Harry Potter series might be anti-Christian (or not), but it’s certainly the anti-James Bond series in its refusal of wonder, beauty and excitement. No one wants to face that fact. Now, thankfully, they no longer have to.

>a-at least the books were good though
"No!"
The writing is dreadful; the book was terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time a character went for a walk, the author wrote instead that the character "stretched his legs."

I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Rowling's mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that she has no other style of writing. Later I read a lavish, loving review of Harry Potter by the same Stephen King. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are reading Harry Potter at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to read Stephen King." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you read "Harry Potter" you are, in fact, trained to read Stephen King.

My point being is that we were told hitler was 100% crazy and wrong, but he says things that aren't crazy that are logical and some non threatening like we were lead to believe. Killing jews sure bad, but other things he said were completely logical. Its a surprising thing to read. He was right.

Your post makes me think you've read maybe

If you're so smart, why are you tripping when they give out FREE Ids on Sup Forums.

I will NOT be reading any of your recommendations.

if you want a nice bit of mindbend from fiction, Greg Egan's Orthagonal series is quite interesting, and his Diaspora/Schilds Ladder are jolly good reads on their own.
then theres Gibson for chewing gum

there use to always be a book thread filled with file embedded images of books before the minorities showed up and spammed facebook frog and trump all over.

My question for him was why the jews? Christianity speaks out against them. Well we say jews are behind blacks and muslims entering europe and that has some merit. Hitler said the same thing. I get it yeah he killed 6 million, but christ did this guy get a lot of things right. Theories of why he did it was the jews were flooding his country with the intent of driving whites down. Im sorry but thats happening now! Shifty jew wasn't made for no reason. All im saying is you don't know for sure.

What things would you say Hitler got right?

If Hitler was frustrated with Jews in Europe he could've deported all of them and saved his resources for the war effort. He even could've still seized all of their property and used their "jew gold" to fund his war effort.

>What things would you say Hitler got right?
His analysis of nature and races. He wasn't even that racist. He wanted nationalism for all races. You said you read it. How is his assessment of nature, the weak vs the strong and races wrong? How is saying you shouldn't breed with the disabled and handicapped wrong?!

>If Hitler was frustrated with Jews in Europe he could've deported all of them
I guess its a good point. He was crazy in that aspect, but I can't find anything wrong with what I just said above.

Fully knowingly. Ill always be more comfortable among my own kind. Tribalism is a deeply rooted component of human nature. If you think third worlders and Jews will care that you decided to "sit this one out" you're extremely dilluded. They'll treat you with the same contempt they treat the rest of us. There is no reason to roll over and take it.

I've read most classics (Tolstoy, Aristotle, Marx, Smith, Hitler, Lenin, Stalin, Bible, bla bla), yet none of it has really been 'worth it' so to say. You could get an idea of the author from just reading 3 pages. The important parts of classics are already within popular culture with the rest on wikipedia and scholarpedia. The only large benefit I've gotten from reading a lot is increasing my attention span and learning how to speed-read, but I could have done that with non-fiction blogs/textbooks/scientific articles/etc with relevance to improving my knowledge.

i stopped reading because now ive got an app to check the tv program

>He wanted nationalism for all races

Not the Jews and the Slavs tho, since they were not supposed to exist anymore. I'm not even sure who he'd go for after exterminating them.

> the weak vs the strong

So he established that the Jews are a superior race but he still wanted Aryan dominance?

Diogenes was the true philosopher.

>I get it yeah he killed 6 million
kek
>If Hitler was frustrated with Jews in Europe he could've deported all of them and saved his resources for the war effort
That was literally the plan up until 1939 when mass deportation no longer became tenable. I forget the name of the trade agreement but the intent for for jews and their goods to be shipped to Palestine.

There's a lot of novels I might have thought were deep as a teen, but now I see as just hippie bullshit.

Has there ever been a great red pill Sup Forums novel? Red pill as in how humans interact with each other, social hierarchy, whore women, that stuff?

>inb4 the Supreme Gentleman's Manifesto
>inb4>Nietzsche's Zarathursta

There were tons of plans to deport them to different locations. Palestine, Madagascar, Poland, Russia, the list goes on. They dont call it the final solution for no reason. Much of the funds for the German war effort did come from Jewish assets. Of course it was not to be as the allies would never allow Hitler to deport them to any desired location. As the war dragged on and supplies dwindled the people began to starve.