Why is Non Non Biyori the best slice of life show?

Why is Non Non Biyori the best slice of life show?

it's not. a lot of it feels like very forced sentimentality instead of just being genuine and natural.

Because of Hotaru's tits.

>forced sentimentality
For fuck's sake. It's like you think you can just stick "forced" in front of a descriptor and it becomes thoughtful criticism.

Even "Forced Animation" is an absolutely retardedl term for what people commonly use it for. It says almost nothing and is misused far more often than not.

Its not as good as Lucky Star.

I think I've figured it out. The term 'forced drama' doesn't exist outside of Internet anime discussion; you can Google it and see for yourself.
Everyone will offer their own definition, but the only thing anyone really agrees on is that it's a negative thing. It's drama that does not accomplish what it sets out to do.
I think there's an empathy gap, where anons have a hard time relating to some drama in anime because of the language and cultural differences, as well as a general difficulty in relating to drawings.
Action can coast on the fact that violence is a universal language, but drama requires you to understand characters' values, emotions, and circumstances. If you're a typical Westerner, you're not going to understand things like the lack of high schools in depressed parts of rural Japan, and that getting a 10th-grade education means living far from home.
That dissonance is hard to quantify if you're unaware of it, so the meaningless prefix "forced" comes into play. From there, you can stick it on anything to describe the vague uneasiness of things you don't understand in a way that makes it the fault of the thing.

the school setting is quaint.

Forced post.

It's not as good as Aria, but it's definitely in the top 3.

> Hotarou's belly button

Second best.

Much of Sup Forums's criticisms make absolutely no sense.
>forced x
>meme x

Which reflects how imbecile most of the community is; they can't (or don't want to) explain why they disliked a show.

then why ask for the opinion of Sup Forums?
If you know what you are getting then why think Sup Forums will suddenly change and give a good answer?
The only time Sup Forums is serious is if the anime/manga has something worthy of being discussed, and as much as I like NNB there is nothing to discuss about.

I wouldn't say it's the best SoL but it is up there, has a very comfy vibe and probably because I grew up in the country when I was younger I can connect on some aspects. Doesn't rely on generic stuff to make it funny and works out naturally. Just my opinion though.

> forced intellectualism

I know what I am getting into, so I usually don't. I know that shitposting is fun, and every faggot here thinks they are really creative and what not, but even when there is "something worthy of being discussed," 65% is shitposts.

I get what you're saying, but I think you are giving many idiots here a lot of credit by saying that they can get serious when they want to. I think that most of Sup Forums is very stupid, and whether there is something to discusd or not, it shows.

i almost completely agree, but since i saw kokoro connect with an unexplained entity that makes up things to make things "interessting" i think there can be correct uses of "forced" for drama.
however, this show was an extreme. non non biyori felt at no point forced.

It has superior characters compared to the rest for me, Renge is just fucking magical.

Because slice of life shows don't really have a high bar.

It's like saying it's the king of the hobos

I want to have forced intercourse with Komari.

I use it for lack of a better term. Example of "forced drama" that served no real point to the story: The girl in Guren Lagann dying.

> I think that most of Sup Forums is very stupid, and whether there is something to discusd or not, it shows.

Αnd baseless asumptions concerning the intelligence of the average Sup Forumsnon makes you intellectually superior, right?

I prefer Barakamon honestly, helps that the kids are voices by actual children

You want a serious discussion right? Then why start a thread with a bait question instead of a sound argument that attempts to justify your opinion?

>Forced drama doest exist

That is because everyone else says melodramatic.

Is cute and enjoyable but nothing special and ends up being forgettable.

nichijou is not SoL

at least wasn't before kyoanus touched it

It's a great mix of a comedy and relaxing moments plus rural setting.

>actual children

Because you misspelled kimi to boku.

>kimi to boku
The only show I've dropped after 10 minutes.

You misspelled Kinmoza

Non Non Biyori is a good Sol but its not even close to being as good as wide.

it's an unconventional slice of life, but still one regardless

No. I am using most posts and threads as the basis for my argument. You posted an anime image and made yours out of conjecture.

This thread is not one I started.

>yours out of conjecture

Most people on Sup Forums come here to have fun and roleplay as retards.
You are the one who is so self-important to deem complete strangers as stupid, like you know them personally.
Get off your high horse. We are all faggots here.

The average Sup Forums poster isn't interested in having any kind of reasoned discussion, only in asserting their opinions and hoping to get the most upvotes

>being a pathetic cunt who likes sappy shit with ugly art.
Lel
M

How can anyone think it is? NNB was okay but nothing special.

It gets marginally better if you're a lolicon fag like me.

>instead of just being genuine and natural.
I feel NNB felt pretty genuine and natural personally, moreso than a lot of the other usual iyashikei people talk about.

Aria being one particular series I was not able to enjoy as much as people here did. Lots of lots of exposition telling me how cozy everything in the setting was as opposed to just having me understand that for myself from what I'm seeing, which resulted in me not finding it all that "cozy" a story at all. Also the mascot cat thing was fucking annoying.. I wish I did enjoy it more because I did think that the setting itself was cool.

>You posted an anime image
>on Sup Forums

Still your fault for expecting serious discussion in a bait thread.

>we are all faggots here
sad but true

>sad but true

Are you referring to the increase of trap threads?

>I think I've figured it out. The term 'forced drama' doesn't exist
It does, but 90% of people who watch anime are either too underage or inarticulate to realize that the term "melodrama" is perfectly applicable.

Literally nothing gay in traps.

>then why ask for the opinion of Sup Forums?

Sup Forums used to be a place where people talked about anime instead of spouting memes and shitposting, I'm having trouble letting go.

It's basically a girl with a small insignificant penis. As much as i hate to admit it you are correct.

Baiting trapfags is still fan as fuck though.

I like it but I honestly agree with the guy getting shit for saying "forced". And it may seem like a meme, but when the genre is based entirely on feeling and atmosphere it matters.

NNB never felt as natural or 'comfy' as shows like Aria, K-on, and Hidamari Sketch to name a few.

Melodrama = overblown drama. Characters exaggerate the seriousness of a situation.
Forced drama = Drama that shouldn't have happened in the first place. Characters do retarded things that cause drama. Or a plot device comes out of nowhere only to course addition drama.

Then explain what you don't like about the atmosphere, or how you think non non biyori fails the execution compared to similar shows you liked more.

This will open up avenues of discussion and potentially take the thread in an interesting direction. Putting the word forced in front of an aspect of the show you disliked is not a valid point of discussion.

This

I guess the term is used interchangeably then, but thanks for explaining it in a concise manner.

I still see no reason to use the term "Forced drama", wouldn't "unnecessary drama" be much more sensible based on your description?

It's babbys first SoL

It seems like a meme because no one is saying anything beyond "it's forced", no reasoning behind it but "just because". You just did the same thing even.

c u t e

>I guess the term is used interchangeably then

Usually the line between them is blurry so I guess they can be used interchangeably.

Unnecessary drama doesn't really have that much of a negative connotation since an individual can deem any drama as unnecessary from his perspective. But since forced drama is pretty much a buzzword now, unnecessary drama might be a more sensible alternative.

>HOTaru's navel

She's the cutest.

>humor is genuine and not forced (almost never see this in anime)
>characters have great chemistry together
>just innocent girls being innocent girls - no serious competition, sexual attraction or blood-lust
>all of the characters are clearly defined and well characterized - no "sameface" characters that pass by unnoticed
>the village is as much of a character as it is the setting - very richly characterized
>entire story and setting rings strongly of truth for a lot of people, not just rural Japanese, but touches on parts of human nature that often go unnoticed

There is very little reason behind it because of the nature of the genre. If a show fails to live up to a certain atmosphere or does not feel real, it's difficult to describe in words but you know it if you've watched enough anime.

Most argumentation on Sup Forums just comes down to staying preferences and then shit flinging at your opponents any way. It's not a though the op fleshed out a thesis about NNB being the best SOL.

>>meme x
Shut up nigger, the only people who do this are shitty crossboarders like Sup Forums and you, kill yourself.

>I know that shitposting is fun
>I think that most of Sup Forums is very stupid
>referring to Sup Forums as a 3rd person
How to spot a crossboarder.

Except there are posts in this thread where people are trying to discuss exactly that
>it's difficult to describe in words but you know it if you've watched enough anime.
Not really, "forced" is just a completely empty criticism in this instance. NNB doesn't have even have enough in the way of exposition or running narrative to be forced anything, for better or worse - if people dislike the series it usually stems from the other end of the spectrum, that there's not enough there for them to latch onto/find interesting. That's actually a perfectly understandable opinion to hold, much moreso than "it feels forced, I can't explain why though".

>>Aria being one particular series I was not able to enjoy as much as people here did. Lots of lots of exposition telling me how cozy everything in the setting was as opposed to just having me understand that for myself from what I'm seeing, which resulted in me not finding it all that "cozy" a story at all. Also the mascot cat thing was fucking annoying.
I feel the same way, bro. I forced myself through the first season, but couldn't make it all the way through the second one. The setting gave me the impression of being painted in watercolor, both visually and expositionally. You get the big picture, but all the details are fuzzy and rough around the edges.

>It's not as boring as Lucky Star.
FTFY

correct opinion right here

post more

NNB>Aria>Hidamari>LS>Koufuku Graffiti>>>K-On>>>>>>>>>>shit>>>>>>>>>>>>Kinmoza>>>>>>>>post-Thanksgiving diarrhea while still hungover>>Gochiusa.

kimi to boku is so goat holy shit

Kyoani made it into one of the best SoL, which is their virtue. Even if everything else they made this decade is pure shit.

Come on, Gochiusa wasn't that bad.

I only watched it for the OP though

While it's good, it isn't nearly the best. There's Aria, Sketchbook, Nichijou, Fuujin Monogatari and many others that need to be considered before it.

Nothing will ever top the genius that is Umes+SHAFT.

Were you born with the inability to distinguish between SoL and gag comedy, or did some kind of brain damage make you believe that Japanese schoolgirls fall through the porches of temples and get stuck in elevators during their normal, everyday lives?

>believe that Japanese schoolgirls fall through the porches of temples and get stuck in elevators during their normal, everyday lives
By that logic any supernatural SoL should not be considered one. Having elements of gag comedy is pretty common for SoLs, too. Even though Nichijou probably has the most out of them.

Die faggot

Agreed, Aria is a meme anime. Characters were completely unrelatable, it was just "people being happier than you are: the anime." NNB has excellent characters though, made the show much more enjoyable than Aria. Renge's tales from 'Nam were truly haunting, and at least I could self-insert into Hotaru. Aria had none of that, literally just girls smiling and looking at the sun for 12 episodes, and expecting me be happy with them too for some reason.

It's great. Almost as good as McDonald's™ Breakfast

you never know, japan is a weird place

>Komori fantasizing about her brother and sister
Diamonds now.

>Characters were completely unrelatable
You should have paid attention. Aria spends a lot of time writing characters, and does it very good. Watching more than one season also helps.

>Watching more than one season also helps

Maybe, but I shouldn't have to sit through 12 episodes of something to enjoy it. Also fuck paying attention.

>Also fuck paying attention
What can I do, then. It sometimes helps to enjoy things.

I didn't even have a problem with the characters really, for me I think it's approach just wasn't my sort of thing. If it had more of a natural-feeling style (which is the main thing I feel NNB does really well most of the time) as opposed to the "x is really comfy and makes me feel happen because etc etc" style exposition everywhere I'd probably find it more enjoyable in the way iyashikei is supposed to be (from what I understand anyway).

Someone mentioned Hidamari Sketch earlier. For the record, I actually prefer that to NNB. I think NNB does better job of feeling "natural" though, whereas Aria I felt didn't really feel natural in it's presentation of anything at all. If this were a different genre I wouldn't have an issue with that.

That objective list that gets posted with that aria girl occasionally that has DBZ as the 9000th best lists NNB as the best. I'm inclined to believe this list because of the memes and because Ren-chon kawaii desu.

>somebody levels a criticism at your favorite anime and a few other people agree with him
>"You should have paid attention"
That's not how this works. It was a legitimate criticism, and saying that the critics who watched the entire anime and agreed on what's wrong with it "weren't paying attention" is Not An Argument.

I like meme girl in her own right too though.

Well, I was a little harsh on the paying attention. When I meant to say was that I like it when I don't have to force myself to pay attention. If I watch something, I want it to grab my attention, I want to feel feelings without actively trying to feel, the feelings should just come naturally. I don't really enjoy anything show that I have to put too much thought into, and SoL anime shouldn't require too much thinking. In NNB, I felt actually felt like I was hanging out with the girls in the country and having fun with them, but in Aria, I felt more like an outsider, and it felt more like Akari was lecturing me on her philosophy rather than being a normal person. Regardless of the validity of my argument, I, personally, just didn't feel very included when I watched Aria.

Why are you people so bad at pointing out negative aspects of aria?

Aria is self-indulgent to the core. The viewer is bombarded by constant monologues about how beautiful simple life is, however the world the charecters live in is completely world form reality (The themes don't work as they do in our world). The girls live in a utopia, they have everything figured out, they are working their dream jobs and they are surrounded by people that only strengthen their self-image. To put it simply aria is feeding people bullshit and they like it.

The characters are standard mediocrities as is the norm for SOLs. Relating means nothing to the actually quality of a show.

If you wish to employ a colourful vocabulary coupled with a haughty attitude, you should at least demonstrate an elementary comprehension of the language that you speak. I implore you to commit the act of suicide.

>best slice of life show
>second episode and already ZZZZ

>Relating means nothing to the actually quality of a show.
I didn't say anything about relating to the characters or not to be fair. It feeling surreal/otherwordly wasn't the issue for me personally, it's the series' approach of spoonfeeding me how surreal/otherworldly to me. Maybe that ties into the "feeding people bullshit and they like it" thing you're on about though?

These sorta shows are what I watch when I want something sorta relaxing, slow-paced and melancholic (and of course it's not something I'm always in the mood for), not particularly for relatable characters but that's nice too I suppose. I'm not getting thse things from Aria when I watch it because of the aforementioned approach it has.

Because it's comfy as tits fampai.

If that happened to you then you shouldn't watch slice of life shows

Holy shit taste user.

Nice to see some Widebros. Nice taste

>including Lucky Star and K-On with the others
If we're not just talking about Iyashi-kei, but rather all SoL, then why only limit your list to those eight anime?

Because those are the only ones he's seen. Like most NNBfags.