Cellulose acetate will always look better to me

Cellulose acetate will always look better to me.

Even if the show's plot is generic and dull, I'll always project additional emotional meaning to the characters because of the extra analog details seen in cels (colored paint brush strokes, line-weight imperfections, dust from photo transfer).

Is the Rebuild of Evangelion crap because the polished new artstyle is too sterile to invoke the original show's grittier animation style?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bviXxLynk4U
youtube.com/watch?v=s6anqaLFt84
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

anymore scans of cels?

No.

>Is the Rebuild of Evangelion crap because the polished new artstyle is too sterile to invoke the original show's grittier animation style?
No, the artstyle is crap because they tried to emulate the old style while producing a cheap and lazy high resolution version.
Rebuild itself is crap for different reasons.

will there ever be a new way for modern techniques/technology to bring cel back?

You can already emulate cel animation perfectly with the digital tools.
It's just not commonly done, although it seems to be getting more popular.

It looks especially amazing when there's a glow, like from a terminal or an afternoon setting.

There's a sort of warmth to it that I can't find with modern digital styles.

Yes I'm actually working on it, kind of.

Lighting will be an issue. I need to study up more on cel animation filmmaking.

All that gritty emotion scrubbed away by sterile digital art.

sure, but they're in low resolution & watermarked by autistic collectorfags

Yeah I should save up for some then.

how?
I'm into music and it's pretty easy to work with both analog stuff and even mix newer digital equipment with old analog pretty easily for a lot of things. But I'm not sure if you'll ever be able to "bounce" stuff back to cel and then back to computers so easily

No, you now live in the world of cel shaded polygons. Your new chinese cartoons are nothing more than cut scenes from a video game.
youtube.com/watch?v=bviXxLynk4U
youtube.com/watch?v=s6anqaLFt84

1. Make digital art in Corel Painter with transfer brush for colored brush strokes
2. Pressure sensitive pencil brush for lines
3. Print to clear photo paper
4. Use watercolor filters in photoshop for your background, print that on inkjet paper
5. Layer your character on your background and photocopy it

You can create a bomb-ass image with those steps (pic related) assuming you're a decent artist.

Source: followed some DeviantArt tutorial a few years ago.

Depending upon the show, you can get some cels for really cheap. I have several and they were all less than $50, some even less than $10.

My collection is mostly Hajime no Ippo, Escaflowne, and Tenshi ni Narumon. I have a cel from the Little Nemo movie, too.

That first video is revolting af..

If you're lazy on the backgrounds, you can just use a 3D render with lighting and add blur/add noise to it. It still has that weird late 90s vibe to it (pic related).

If you do buy some, if possible do not try to remove the cel from whatever paper it is stuck to. the paint is really tacky, stinks and will peel off the cel, if you try to remote whatever it is stuck to.

Supposedly you can use steam to soften the paint and remove whatever it has bonded to, but then it destroys whatever it was stuck to and that is likely the original sketch.

Also screw ebay prices, yahoo auction is the place for affordable cels. Bought a few from there myself.

I know! To expose her midriff like that, what a slut!

Thanks for the info. Do you know what paint type cel's use?

Is it acrylic?

>Is it acrylic?
Don't know, but I know it emits a gas. You're not supposed to leave them in an air tight sealed bag or container, the the shitty deteriorated bags they are usually stored in have a punch hole so it can breathe.

Also if there is a cel you want framed, it better be one you really like or worth a lot of money because places that make the type of shadowbox you'd want for celluloid film charge a small fortune for their shit.

No way in hell am I dropping a ton of money to frame a cel I picked up for a mere $10. Need to stumble onto a massive deal of the century, by finding a cel of Lodoss War's opening scene or Deedlit's dress cheap before I ever do that.

>Is the Rebuild of Evangelion crap because the polished new artstyle is too sterile to invoke the original show's grittier animation style?
Despite this sounding like a ridiculous opinion, it's probably true. Compare and contrast frames of Gendo from the old and new series, it's pretty clear the rough details of the old cels were put to use to make Gendo look more imposing.

This is an interesting thread.

Watch Lupin, Gundam Thunderbolt or Gundam Reconguista.