Daily Japanese Thread DJT #1564

Cornucopia of Resources / Guide
Read the guide before asking questions.
docs.google.com/document/d/1pKgBm8Aa58mjB1hYhbK-VOPZsRBTXBuPBzw8Xikm2ss/pub?embedded=true

Previous Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

zerochan.net/1851171
store.steampowered.com/app/418190/
youtube.com/watch?v=cIkQtlxhopA
forum.koohii.com/thread-10594-page-2.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Yay, it's the real thread this time. OP image made for since he asked nicely.

I want to lick her face.

Guy who posted about Paris several days ago here. Now I am in Ireland. I got into the hotel last night, and when out buying some water in the lobby I saw some Japanese tourists checking in. I thought about approaching them but I realized I was wearing sweatpants and looked somewhat slovenly, and I'd rather make no impression at all than a bad one, so I just bought my water and went back to the room. But as I left I heard the grandfather say "朝八時". I had another chance.

So this morning I wake up, shave my neckstubble, put on some nicer clothes, and go out to the dining room. Sure enough, there they are: a pair of grandparents, a mother and father, and a little girl. Spaghetti starts falling out of my pockets. Oh god, how do I open the conversation? What will I even say? What if I fucked up and they're Korean somehow? But I restrain my spaghetti somehow. The dad says something in nihongo and I take the opportunity to go in. Paraphrased:

>すみません、今のは日本語でしたか?
>はい、日本語です
>よかった。今習っていますから
>あ、大学で?
>いえいえ、自分で
>ああ、そうか。
>自習、自習
>自習ね。日本語結構うまいね
>ありがとう。でも、まだまだー
>ー勉強していますね?
>はい。ははは
>ははは。どうしてアイルランドにいるんですか?
>あ、父さんと旅行しています
>いいね。どっから来たんですか?
>アメリカ。カリフォルニア、桜メント
>あ、私達… (something I don't understand, conversation changes to English since my comprehension is still beginner-level, turns out they are actually moving to California, other stuff, etc.)

After I finished I said bye and went back to my table, knees shaking but happy. Considering it was my first time actually speaking Japanese it went really well, it was a lot of fun. I realized later I fucked up a bit since 習う means more to learn from a teacher or class, but hey that's fine. I definitely want to visit Japan in a few years, it's easy to forget there are actually 125 million people who speak this anime language.

Isn't that the back of the NicoMaki Doujin by Kuraha?

Seems so, based on the tags. I just found it at zerochan.net/1851171

Do you guys follow any Japanese person's blog? I want to have people I can stalk and learn from.

桜メントka

It's one of the best love live Doujins. Lot's of drama though and fluffy stuff.

>No raws
Why is the /u/ community so fucking shit

So is there any settings or whatever that chiitrans needs? I feel like it doesn't catch the full conjugation sometimes or parses wrong

>chiitrans
>parse

you can't learn japanese

It's in the archive of the LL threads in /u/.

You can read it on dynasty it's been translated.

Does anyone have epubs/mobi of Kino no Tabi? CoR only has it as text file

use the firefox text grabber with rikai instead

It's Karuha idiot.

>tfw fell for the depression meme
>breathing is fucked too so can't repeat words out loud
>still trying to power through these dumb reps
this better pay off in the end

That adorable picture just about makes up for your disgusting blogging

もう一度アメリカを偉大に\しよう!

that's why i chose it

>You can read it on dynasty it's been translated
He's not asking for a translation you stupid fucking EOP

はい

There is a working wa to convert txt to epub/mobi (vertical, with furigana, reader's dictionary recognizes word boundaries correctly) but I don't remember it. You can find it either with archive or Google.

I know from English books that txt -> epub conversion is pretty damn unreadable, is this really somehow different with Japanese?

Anyway, anyone know what program this guys talking about?

我が社の話しは何もできません。
Why can't this be read as "the story from my office is nothing can be done"?

我が社の話し
My company's story/

How many lessons of Tae Kim would I need to do a day to finish it in two and half weeks? Is it even possible?

I'm going out of town and I at least want to have basic grammar down.

Total number of lessons divided by the number of days in two and a half weeks

Don't ask me for a proof though

starting at "basic grammar" and ending with all of "advanced topics" and excluding exercises there are 52 lessons. two and a half weeks is 17/18 days, which means you would need to do approximately three lessons per day to finish the guide within two and a half weeks.

There's no work or anything involved in the lessons, just read the whole thing over a few days and then go back over it to make sure you've got most of it down.
You're going to need it for reference anyway when you first start reading, there's no way around that.

>he learned japanese for this

>Is it even possible?
Definitely
>I at least want to have basic grammar down.
This probably isn't though

People actually learn moon in order to be able to read shit like this, it's kind of depressing.

>implying it is not worth it

Thanks.

Nah I'm learning moon for shit like this
store.steampowered.com/app/418190/

It's in English, though.

Yes, it really is a shame that you need to learn moon before being able to enjoy such great works.
I shed a tear every evening for every guy that doesn't make it and has to live without those beautiful things.

So?

You're a shitty human being.

Why?

What are some pieces of western media that got good translations into Japanese? I'm interested in seeing how things are translated in that direction.

Book of the New Sun

は-はい..

Obviously there are a lot of good online resources that can teach you for free but is there any reason not to buy books if money is not a concern?

I can't take electronic devices to work where I'd do most of my studying (I work alone and have breaks alone so no distractions) so I'd be doing it with paper more than a device.

Is there a possibility of outgrowing books and not needing them again if I advance beyond the book?

Where do you work that you can't bring a smartphone?

>Is there a possibility of outgrowing books and not needing them again if I advance beyond the book?

Isn't that the goal? If you aren't outgrowing your books then you aren't learning.

Chemical factory with horrendously outdated regulations the old management are too stubborn to change. They're concerned it might blow up the whole place. We're allowed them in certain areas but not where I have my breaks.

Buying books is totally fine, just make sure you get helpful ones.
I don't know if I'd say you can "outgrow" a book rather than just be finished it, in the sense that it's taught you everything it has to teach and you don't need it for reference anymore. That's going to happen with any resource save for something really extensive like a dictionary.

Well, yes, fair point. I suppose I just don't like the idea of spending £50 on a Genki book and then having it gather dust. Small price to pay though I suppose.

Well, it might.

That's the reason people like to suggest avoiding shit like Genki, especially bought physically, since everything it has to teach you can be learned through other, more effective methods (for free) over the course of a couple months anyway. In fact you might as well give Tae Kim the $17 or so for the printed version of his grammar guide and go with that if you absolutely need a physical book, it's probably less poisonous than Genki.
The best books to buy would be the kinds that have good reading material for you to work through and learn form. Or ones you can't rip from the internet and actually do need to dish out the textbook premium for.

I don't consider the Genki books to be worth the money. They really don't cover that much and won't last you very long. And they are so overpriced because they are college textbooks.

I bought the DOJBG and then the next week we got the DOJG deck. So it was a waste of money ;_;

I think someone made a Tae Kim PDF. If you could find that and print it out it would probably be a cheaper alternative.

What Tae Kim doesn't give you is meaningful ways to practice. Every couple of threads I see some guy saying that he read Tae Kim's guide and barely remembers any of it. This is where Genki comes in, specifically the workbooks. If you do the exercises, it will give you some decent practice in conjugations and basic sentence patterns.

I don't disagree with the policy in principle, but I work in an office building with no chemicals in it. Back on topic though...

Thanks. I'll try and get that printed then. We have facilities at work for making a professional looking binder so it doesn't have to be a bunch of paper stapled together.

That's because the practice should be reading material.

>genki
>a meaningful way to practice

Has Anki ever made anyone's computer freeze totally with no hard drive activity? Mine has been freezing from time to time and I've had Anki running every time when that has happened, so I'm suspecting it a bit.

>the workbooks
Are you a child?

I hate doing exercises in books, so I am a little biased. I did Genki I+II and even own the first workbook, but I never did a single exercise. I bought the workbook because I was going to take a class, but I dropped it after 1 day. I really should have returned it.

It's been years since I've had anything resembling a conversation with a real person and I feel like I'm losing the ability to speak. When I try to say words out loud it's like I'm unable to manipulate my mouth and tongue properly and everything sounds slurred or garbled. Is this normal or some kind of degenerative brain disorder?

What I can establish from this thread and the guide in the OP is that there is no cast iron guarantee for the best method, just one that works for you.

For home use is the Human Japanese app a good addition to my learning? Since I'd be mainly using text books is it best to stick to one method to avoid confusion?

That's where the poison comes in. Genki is artificial and, being a college textbook, moves too slowly, so you're not getting anything meaningful out of using it like that. You're just building bad habits in drilling Genki sentence patterns and mannerisms into your head repeatedly.
No one should need to sit and practice writing out conjugations or basic sentences in the first place. A couple weeks or so in and that should come naturally to you, not out through a Genki-trained algorithm. Watch a cartoon or two in your spare time.

プロチップ

Write vertically. Turn your notebook sideways and turn the rows into columns. So much easier than trying to squeeze complicated kanji into the tiny, narrow space that you usually have to work with.

If you don't use it, you lose it.

P-Please respond

Does no one here read LNs on a Kindle?

No userland software should be able to do something like that.

It's either hardware dying, a driver problem, or a bug in the operating system.

>What I can establish from this thread and the guide in the OP is that there is no cast iron guarantee for the best method, just one that works for you.

This is a complete misreading of the guide.

>For home use is the Human Japanese app a good addition to my learning? Since I'd be mainly using text books is it best to stick to one method to avoid confusion?

Hahahaha.

Normal enough. Talk to your waifu for ten minutes a day and it should come back

What's funny?

Your post.

That you completely ignored the guide and are considering using non free software that is inferior to free software

even if it is what would you do? likely part of the solution regardless is to talk to people, if you see it as a issue.

why the fuck doesn't anyone use the guide anymore its RIGHT there

Careful, if you cross the textbooks there's no telling what'll happen.

anyone who uses the guide probably isn't going to post about it besides telling newfags to use the guide
guide users are probably the silent majority

>look this up on vndb
>one of the screenshots is from a cg of her with an アイスキャンディー in her まんこ

>count the number of lessons
>divide by 14
That was hard, wasn't it?

Anyone help me parse this?

これは、内容、分かりやすさ、実用性のあらゆる要素に高いクオリティを求めて動画作成に取り組んだがゆえにできたことです。

これは、内容、分かりやすさ、実用性のあらゆる要素に高いクオリティ
That is, (contents, ease of understanding, ??component of high quality)
を求めて動画作成
demanding videos
に取り組んだ
effort put in

ゆえにできたことです。
finally achieved

Maybe something like "That is, by putting effort into videos demanding content, ease of understanding and ???component high quality I finally achieved."

>You're going to need it for reference anyway when you first start reading, there's no way around that.
Why would you use Tae Kim as a reference when the DoJG exists?

youtube.com/watch?v=cIkQtlxhopA

What's up with this influx of japanese learning sites?

Probably the fact that people have realised you can make money on the internet from offering a service or information even when superior services and information exist for free.

Entrepreneurs taking advantage of the reddit weebs who can't learn Japanese but who will steal their parents' credit card to pay for a pretty layout that makes them feel like they can learn Japanese.

>運命の音を聞かせてあげる
こんなゲイなことは一体何だよくそ?!

I wasn't here earlier but here's your well deserved (You), chaika

This could be done by putting effort into the video making process, demaning high quality various elements like content, ease of understanding (maybe accessibility?) and practical usage.

*demanding high quality of various elements

split it into clauses

これは、~できたことです。
this one wraps around everything else
「できたこと」は「これ」を表すこと

内容、分かりやすさ、実用性のあらゆる要素に高いクオリティを求めて
demanded high quality in each component of content, ease of understanding, and practicality [and]

動画作成に取り組んだ
wrestled with the video production

~がゆえに
by consequence of ~
(~ being the reason; ~ being the circumstances)

in the end it's something like:
"This was created by consequence of demanding high quality in each of the components of content, ease of understanding, and practicality, and wrestling with video production."

see
>You can find it either with (..) Google

forum.koohii.com/thread-10594-page-2.html

It's the fucking first result for "e-readers txt Japanese dictionary look-ups vertical text furigana" mate.

any tips or references on identifying clauses? in more complex sentences i just cant figure it out

is there a verb or adjective or copular in a normal form? bam, clause

read more

That needs specifically Aozora format books though, which I'm pretty sure a simple .txt in the CoR isn't.

I don't like how you kind of lumped in the part after the て form with the part before it. It's more like
"This was a result of demanding high quality in terms of content, ease of understanding, and utility while producing the video."

ah in indicative いる える etc or です

thank you

>tfw it doesn't matter because the shit he wants is available in CoR in azw3 format.
>tfw I have no face

Only the first volume is there as a epub. The others are scans and txt.

Unless there's a FOURTH Kino I'm not seeing somewhere. Please educate me

The best thing to do is to read the whole sentence first and then try to understand it, which requires some reading practice so you don't get caught up in particles. I don't know if I can adequately explain how I do it, since it's mostly just intuition.

The first step of the process is probably to identify the core bits of a clause anywhere you can in the sentence, which are the subject and predicate. The subject is often left out in Japanese so it's important to figure out what it is as soon as you realize it's being implied. The predicate is the action; something like だ or any verb. て form, 連用形, the copula で, etc can separate actions distinctly in the same sentence, learn to notice that.

Commas have a ton of uses so don't be too quick to make presumptions as soon as you see one. Forget English comma usage. Listening to spoken Japanese helps because you get a better feeling for how a long sentence flows through intonations and pauses.

After you understand the overall structure of a sentence you can look closer at each subject and object and figure out how it's being modified by everything before it, and by the particle after it, if applicable. Then you can take the adverbs and the verbs and construct a meaning for the full sentence.