Can we get a Gary Stu thread started?

Can we get a Gary Stu thread started?

Fucking hate these piece of shit, useless, perfect characters. Who even enjoys watching it?

Why? All these threads are are people arguing other what is and what isn't a gary stu.

He's cool though

I don't even know who Gary Stu is.

Your usual definition is a perfect character to the point that its annoying. Often a self insert to boot. Though by definition main characters cant be mary or gary stus since its by definion for fan fiction characters.

Yes
Yes
One of these is not like the other...

Did someone say gary stu?

Adam wasn't even close to a Stu. He was just competent.

Being powerful =/= Gary Stu

Gary stu doesent mean "characters i dont like"

>wins every fight
>gets every girl
>is always right even when they're not correct
>if you don't live your life correctly like Shirou and Touma, chances are you're a badguy and are going to get beaten up

They're gary stus.

Does it even count when that's the gag?

I had fun with this show

>He thinks thats what it takes to be a gary stu.

>Shinji
>Gary Stu

Obligatory.

Fuck off user, it's too late to make me laugh this hard

enlighten us then

It's tolerable when they aren't the main character.

and OP are the only Gary Stus done right. is too subjective.

The term was coined for a real book not a fanfic but whatever, pal.

Those mentioned characteristics are highly up there.

dank b8

It's a character that is author's wish fulfillment and masturbatory material. Which means that said character is a center of gravity of a show. You will be constantly reminded how amazing Mary Sue is, everyone's morality is determined by their attitude towards Mary Sue and characters show very strong emotions towards Mary Sue (good guys love, bad guys jealousy). Often Sue will have a sad backstory and/or some laughably insignificant flaw. Also Sue tends to be unreasonably competent or have some super special snowflake traits.

Originally used to describe fanfiction characters, nowadays is used also in professional writing and /tg/ contexts.

Being strong or even overpowered doesn't necessarily make a character Mary Sue. Hell, it's possible to write an extremely competent, special snowflake character that never loses any competition and still isn't a Mary Sue. The crucial factor is the writing style that makes Sue look like a god among mere mortals. The character is not written for the story, but story is written for the character.

The name "Mary Sue" comes directly from a Star Treck fanfiction mocking other Star Treck fanfictions.

Every fucking light novel protagonist ever.

it's not bait, he's a fucking Gary Stu with a Gary Stu Stand. Even in the video games 'Star Platinum' wins out against literal gods.

Muneshige is just a nice guy, no where close to Stu territory

Izayoi a shit. Worse than Kirito and Touma.

turned to shit when they put the girl in a cage and went NOWHERE with it

So what exactly is the difference between a Gary Stu, an inherently OP MC, who knows he's OP and doesn't give a fuck and an MC that starts out weak but still bullshits his way through everything because "willpower" or "nakama"?
Both essentially achieve the same thing but people only complain about one mostly.

I admit I enjoy watching OP as fuck MCs blow the fuck out of unsuspecting weaklings who fuck with him. It all depends on how it's presented and whether it's still fun to watch.

It's the same reason you start RPGs at level one with shitty basic equipment instead of endgame weapons and armor.
There's no danger for the Gary Stu, nothing is gained or sacrificed. He just wins because he's supposed to.
With the other case the MC is a weak underdog who wins because they put forth effort into it, the world is filled with weak people who can more easily relate to this MC.

>It's the same reason you start RPGs at level one with shitty basic equipment instead of endgame weapons and armor.
I always edit my starting character to god and have fun reading story. Bonus points if game allows rping badasses. Will send it to trash if game has scripted "cocksucking" like unkillable bosses because mc supposed to be cuck.
Where is your god now?

Personal favorites.

Though I'm not sure anymore if Reinhardt is a Sue given this thread's definitions.

More of an anti-Stu than anything else, that is, being basically devoid of noble qualities.

That's what it seems like when I read through half these threads

he's not as he couldn't win every situation. Star Platinum was powerful but it couldn't do anything to certain things that were far away or had special conditions, which is where Kakiyon or the others came in

He did have that aspect of a Gary Stu though when it came to women; like every bitch in the show wanted him

I think you might have brain problems. Or at least, some kind of social disorder.

Far from a Gary Stu. People need to actually learn what the term means, it's a bit more complicated than "overpowered character".

The inherently OP MC can be really good at what they do, but still not be on everyone's good side... maybe certain people hate him because he's so good or he's looked down on like Saitama The Gary Stu is both OP AND everyone loves him and listens to what he says. The kind of shows where he can walk into a military discussion meeting, cry/bitch about something and then all the military people decide 'ok we'll change our plans because its you who said so'

He didn't used to be one..

By that logic SAO isn't a Gray Stu seeing as almost every single person (save for a small circle of friends) hated Kirito for being a beta player.

well shit point taken

because he's not one, far from most Gary Stu's Sup Forums likes but won't admit they are flawless piece of shit

See Shirou and Touma are very specifically not perfect. Frequently throughout their series they're being reminded how fucking stupid they and their ideals are. Also, neither are exceptional at anything outside their immediate skill set, which is something that typifies a Sue.

I'm sick of "Gary Stu" being attached to every powerful main character because Sup Forums and the populace as a whole don't understand the term. It reduces its purpose as an actual critique.

This fucker.

This is a man who is shown over and over again to be more intelligent, a better fighter than, and more tactically aware than, top-level military professionals while he is a child fighting in a training mech. There are multiple points where adults who should be fully capable on their own are standing around going "what would Inaho do?" and at no point is he actually presented as having a real flaw that actually affects him. Hell, he gets shot in the head and still manages to come out better because he gets an implant "only he is capable of using properly".

So he's an edgy loner "misunderstood" by dem haters. Sounds like another Stu point to me.

Not to mention that nearly the entire rest of the cast is sidelined to focus around him. The only reason I found him tolerable was because he wasn't an annoying brat like most other Gary Stus.

Put Inaho's face on one of the angels and we've got a keeper.

Whole thing would be better if he was just the smart guy and the rest of the team executed his plans. The fight against the laser eye mech is probably one of the best of the series for this reason.

What I liked about this guy and the series is how they approached the mecha genre.

Usually it's the protagonist who gets the best equipment, the most technology advanced mech. Here, we get a guy who even though is the ultimate gary stu, uses low tier mech with tactics and teamwork, and defeats the more advanced mechs. Skill before gear, and the soundtrack was just amazing.

They're not but I just had to post this. Loved the show.

The one and only.

It's not about absolutely everyone loving Gary Stu, it's about all positive characters loving Gary Stu.
Basically it boils down to liking Gary Stu = good person, disliking Gary Stu = jealous/manipulated/stupid/evil person. The RONRY MISUNDERSTOOD HERO background is actually quite common when it comes to Mary Sues, same with shitty childhood or even rape, all being cheap tricks to make Sue sympathetic.
Same with MCs being treated like complete shit by their families for some inane reasons.

Kirito pulled out Lelouch on other players and used his Beta Requiem to focus the hatred for beta testers on "beater" boogeyman. So it was a stupid uneducated mob doing stupid uneducated things. Asuna and Agil still liked Kirito as if nothing happened. Not to even mention that by episode 3 entire situation was already irrelevant.
It would be completely different if Kirito actually was a massive dick treating all noobs like subhumans and the hate was a) well deserved, b) portrayed as justified, c) not limited to nameless randoms, d) had any impact on the story.

>OP are the only Gary Stus done right.
Izayoi is a onedimensional bland character.
His only characteristic is "I do it because omoshiroi"

No.
No.
No.
No.
No.
No.

Neo Sup Forums doesn't know what's a Stu.

And the opinions of the wider world don't really matter much. None of their hatred really does much to affect him besides contribute to his angst. The characters that matter (the ones that gravitate around him and the ones relevant to the plot) all irrationally love him to a ridiculous degree.

>Onii-sama is not a Gary Stu

Yeah, you're right. He's just average guys. Perfectly average. Nothing to see here.

>Onii-sama is the definition of Gary Stu
>Not Gary Stu

Izayoi a shit
worse than Kirito and Touma

Fuck off, Onii-sama is amazing.

Reminder of the definition of a Mary Sue/Gary Stu for those unaware.

A normal character revolves around a plot. The plot revolves around a Mary Sue.

Think about it this way - if you removed that character from the story, could all the other supporting characters still function normally?

A good example is the MC from Infinite Stratos. All the girls in the series can't function without him, and fights can't be won without him. The plot regularly flips over itself in order to make the MC the big star of the show.

And additionally, a character being a Mary Sue/Gary Stu doesn't instantly mean they are bad. Look at characters like Sakamoto and Sumiere. They could be considered Sues, but the main focus of their stories are of the people whose lives they improve.