Yahari Ore no Seishun ga blah blah blah

Well Sup Forums, I finally watched S2 after the autism has died down somewhat. Overall I liked S1 a lot better but this round had its moments.

Especially pic related. What a great scene.

I understand that the LNs are drawing to a close relatively soon, but will we ever have the rest of the series animated?

Yukino a shit. Worst girl.

Didn't S2 end near the end of the LNs anyway?

Yes, so it'll be an OVA or two to wrap it up. If they choose to, that is.

iroha best girl

Watari tweeted apology for delay in continuing oregairu but says he'll put maximum effort to make something worth the wait. Glad he feels guilty

Garbage series. Cancerous generals.

Huh, the LNs ended?
I remember S2 was close to the last volume PUBLISHED, but not that it was ending anytime soon...

here's your (You)
Now kill yourself

LNs haven't ended, but most people believe the next volume will be the last.

I love this series, but I can't believe there are still threads for it almost everyday. They're always just filled with the same Yukinofags and Yuifags arguining over the same shit over and over again

>based on an LN
>not transportation
give me one reason to watch it

Good Irohasu, everyone!

Oh yeah now that I checked the LN release dates, it's been almost ONE FUCKING YEAR since the last volume...

Still doesn't give much hope that everything will be animated when it does end though.

Whatever faggot. Enjoy your shit characters.

The first season was kind of funny at times and had some elements of truth and a solid final arc. The first season was dreadfully dull for the most part and almost entirely different tonally from the first with muttering droning dialogue and confusing teen melodrama problems of the kind that are all the rage in recent LNS

Hes too busy being used as brand power for Sony shit like the upcoming Qualidea Code. They seem to really love tying up people that work on other hits with bullshit projects so that they can't finish those works and compete through rival publishers and have their brand power for themselves.

I still prefer S1's art.

So kind of like Saekano, Fate, Asterisk and other LN shit that people have long exhausted things to discuss

season 3 leak

Saekano threads are even worse somehow. They get way more heated and autistic.

They don't have a thread up 24/7 all year

>but will we ever have the rest of the series animated?

Hopefully never.

Man, they don't even talk about the girls. They talk about EACH OTHER. What's more, they don't get new content (in terms of LN translations - they don't even read the LNs) so it's always the same tiresome waifu war thread after thread. At least with this show you have more than three characters to talk about.

I agree on Yukino, but I think Season 2 did pretty much everyone else better.

Finally finished reading ANOTHER. The ending sort of fit but I was hoping for Yuix8man to go further and I don't like that Yukino seem to be bothered by it but said nothing.

Wait, what?

Reminder that Sensei a best

Komachi looked way better in S1

>Glad he feels guilty
I doubt he even gives a shit really, he probably just said that to get people pestering him to fuck off. You guys care more about this dumb shit than he does.

how long before this thread turns into 300 posts of shitposting wars between Yuifags in denial and Yukinofags?

Like nisekoi it is never going to end and because of such its its just another shitty harem.

Soon enough user

good
t.bait
Nisekoi is almost over, Oregairu is nearing its end too

Close but no cigar

>Yumiko's face when she sees 8man balls deep in Sensei.

>Sensei
>not Saki

Deny it all you want, but Yumiko definitely saw 8man banging 8man in the classroom.

I believe it.

I always thought the Yuifags were just baiting at this point, considering how easy it is to make the Yukinofags flip out

Reminder: There is no evidence Yukino is in love with 8man and ANOTHER proves it

Looks like around 45 minutes and 55 seconds
>here we go

Go away Yuipollfag

Just here to post perfection.

i dont understand a dam thing in s2. everyone being emo and shits. so annoying

I think I came to appreciate Hayami Saori more after watching this. Amazing singer, fantastic range and can imitate any voice/thing, and Sugita likes her a lot. He hits on a lot of young VA girls but apparently Hayamin is special.

Yahari had threads 24/7 when S2 aired, it was truly an experience.
Too bad the S1 threads were even better.

>tfw I saved pic related almost 3 years ago.

So disregarding all the waifu war stuff, what do you guys really think about this series as a whole? Good, average, or shit?

Average. It has a few thoughtful insights, but the tonal shift from S1 to S2 is too drastic and sometimes the character-driven developments are difficult to follow.

I'd like if they both seasons were made by the same studio, especially since the art style was really different, but story wise it's very nice, a solid 9/10 to me.

I only think when stuff gets sorta heavy and too abstract for high schoolers to think it's when it loses a bit of it's magic, you can't help but think "what the fuck are they talking about?" (even in moon) and then "are they really high schoolers?" but then you go "well it's been great so far so it's okay"

I wish S2 hadn't devolved into standard anime romance drama.

>you can't help but think "what the fuck are they talking about?" (even in moon)
I think there are certain nuances that are lost or can't be conveyed in translation, and this is coming from a native speaker.

It was helpful to watch the episodes on NND with the comments streaming across the screen. Sometimes people would post an interpretation/POV of a scene that made more sense than what the subs implied.

>Yuifags in denial
Oh my, whatever would they be in denial about?

You ever watch Inou Battle? She's amazing in that

I was a Yumikofag all the way back when season 1 aired.

Did you like the direction the story took after the tonal shift though? I liked the whole "finding something genuine" theme and how it leads to substantial development for the main characters, but I couldn't help but feel that the way it was presented was downright cringeworthy at points. And when you say that the development is hard to follow sometimes, do you mean that there's too much subtext?
I agree, sometimes I think that the way they're written doesn't make sense for people their age; we're supposed to think they're teenagers based in reality yet they all think in monologues or metaphors, and even their innermost thoughts have subtext, but I appreciate the effort Watari took to write somewhat poetically.

Not him, but I thought the genuine thing had potential. 8man hates high school because everyone acts so insincere, which means that all along he desired some form of sincerity. I feel like he figured that out about himself, which is a huge step for him because it was the first time in a long time that he had wanted something so badly.

The way it was handled just made it into fuel for the romcom fire instead of some sort of deep self-realization.

He should've come out as genuine to Hayato instead of to the two girls in school who were after the 8inch. Would've kept a lid on the romcom stuff and made for good character development.

>Did you like the direction the story took after the tonal shift though?
I think you said it best: "muh genuine" was a worthy pursuit but the presentation was just too heavy-handed. And yes about the subtext. S2 was just one big subtext after another. The way people were behaving in this or that situation became downright infuriating at times.

Entertaining, brought down by the waifu stuff that's predominant in S2 and therefore making S1 the best (that said, S2 had good moments that resembled S1... when Hikigaya was away from the club and interacted with literally anyone but Yui/Yukino)

I liked the genuine scene when I first read it and I still do, but "genuine" has become a goddamn meme and I shamefully admit that I got influenced and cringe at the mere sight of the word now.

I enjoyed Hikigaya's initial worldview and approach to things (it's actually what got me to pick up the story), and while I know it goes against what a proper story is supposed to be, I kinda wish he hadn't gone through his character development. One of my favorite parts of S1 is that up until the end he just kept doing his underhanded shit instead of showing "how much he had grown through the power of friendship"

I think so too, where's the male camaraderie? For most boys in high school, their confidants were other boys; they wouldn't reveal their true selves to girls until after they got with the girls, and before that, they would always front as an "alpha" to those girls. You never revealed your emotional side because it might scare the girls away. 8man and Hayato talking about their issues more would definitely be something interesting and relatable.

If 8man confesses to Yukino or whoever and uses "genuine" as part of the confession, we'll know once and for all that Watari is a hack. The cringe factor would be tremendous. I just hope "genuine" gets the treatment it deserves in the end.

Cute

8man actually had some bro moments with Saika and even Zaimokusa, sadly all of it was secondary and circled around "muh club."

Actually I really loved when during the election arc he gathered all the secondary characters to help him who happen to have a pretty good relationship with him but of course whe can't have that be of any relevance besides saving muh club

I just finished both seasons back to back last week; definitely one of the more interesting series out there as I definitely could relate to a lot of the shit going on.

That said, I do agree Season 2, as much as I liked it, did go a bit overboard with its themes to the point where you feel its a bit pretentious. The "genuine" scene though definitely is the high point, as well as Hachiman and Hayama's growing respect for each other.

The love triangle shit is fine too as I knew we were going to get into it eventually since its still a light novel romance story at the end of the day. To give it credit though, its not as shallow as most of the same genre, but at the same time I couldn't help but think "This seems way too deep for high schoolers to be dealing with"

I think the best way this could end is for Hachiman to turn down both Yui and Yukino though as high school romances are the furthest thing from a genuine relationship you can get.

Funny story about that, I actually feel that Zaimokusa in particular was underutilized. We know that 8man fronts as a loner, Yukino fronts as an ice queen, and Yui fronts as a nice girl. I feel that Zaimokusa's personality isn't a facade, it never changed even after exposure to top-tier girls like Yukino and Yui, girls who always gave him shit for doing what he loved. Sure, Zaimokusa's actual writing may be really bad, but it seemed to me as if it, and him in general, were genuine from the start. That, and since Zaimokusa is kind of 8man's male kindred spirit, means that there was so much more that could have happened between them.

Personally I've noticed that girls are more open to to talking about feelings than guys are and I really like that sort of thing so I connect with women about as much as I connect with men, though I recognize that isn't very common. Maybe 8man's kinda like that, IDK. Hayama and Hikigaya have been portrayed as two people who have remarkably similar worldviews, but grew up in different environments and act on those worldviews in wildly different ways. Hayama is trapped in his own life, always trying to live up to the expectations of the people around him, because he just wants to make them happy, be they his parents or his classmates. Through this, he's been exposed to the darkness that Hikigaya is always talking about, the insincerity in their hearts. And, like Hikigaya, it seems he's also given up on genuine-ness, though he still desires it. Hikigaya grew up without Hayama's popularity, and developed his worldview by having his naivety and idealism disintegrated by the people around him.

Throughout the show, I feel like they developed an understanding with each other, you know? Hayama sees through 8man's underhanded tactics (like in the S1 arc when he said "Why do you always have to do things like this?") because he GETS him. I also feel like he tried to make 8man see it, too, when he took him and those girls to the mall.

All that stuff could have culminated in some of the best bro moments in anime, now that I think about it. A mutual desire to be sincere, and a mutual feeling of being trapped by your circumstances. Why are platonic friendships so based?

he appears more in the LN and in bonus CD material, and really is Hachiman's bro though they trash talk each other. I suspect it is Totsuka that brings him along whenever "the gang" do outing like Christmas party or karaoke (again that's bonus material and LN)

As embarrassing as Zaimokusa's shenanigans were, it's actually commendable how he takes all the punishment up front then goes at it again the next day.

>but it seemed to me as if it, and him in general, were genuine from the start

Indeed, and the same can be said about Saika and Kawasomething who literally didn't give a shit about the stuff going around them and generally living a stress free highschool life (even taking into consideration Kawawho?'s part time job that only really had a work hours problem)

Seeing 8man being surrounded by such earnest people made it all the more cringy when he came crawling back to le deep character faec and her big breasted symbiote.

not genuine? I know of enduring high school romantic relationships in real life, including my parents

Definitely. What comes to mind for me especially is Yukino's recipe in ANOTHER, and I guess Yukino in particukar, really. Are we supposed to believe that the whole "covering up the chocolates with sugar to hide all my problems away" that Yukino actively thinks about is something that a teenager would actually think?And in her monologue, where I'm pretty sure she thinks about No Longer Human, it's made out to be something profoundly philosophical. But then you realize that the book is likely required reading in Japanese schools, considering how popular it apparently is. The American equivalent would likely be a teenager having philosophical musings about The Catcher in the Rye. Teenagers don't think in symbolism. Although my memory is hazy regarding that monologue, so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

But if Watari himself writes her like this, does that mean she always thinks like this?

But he did grow in season 1, not by yardstick of underhanded methods but that he instead even has friends and acquaintances that he cares about. Not a loner any more.

>high school romances are the furthest thing from a genuine relationship you can get
That's why the ultra-rare ones that do turn out "right" are the most genuine of all. Or something.

It's a shame they never adapted the strip poker game. That was one of my favorite moments. Zaimokusa was great in that too.

Who else didn't see the love triangle coming?

>But if Watari himself writes her like this, does that mean she always thinks like this?
I hope not. Even if her upbringing was fucked up because of the mother (and to a lesser extent Haruno) that's just bullshit through and through.

Well put Satan, though I believe the scenarios are a little bit different on the

>mutual feeling of being trapped by your circumstances

subject. Even if Hachiman is stuck as a social pariah, he still has control of his life unlike Hayama who's life on autopilot.

but it didn't. no one has confessed to anyone and the focus is instead on facades vs. showing true self to another which the characters STILL haven't done with each other though two of them want it (Yui doesn't care about that)

>all the more cringy when he came crawling back to le deep character faec and her big breasted symbiote.
Maybe 8man is more of a teenage boy than we think. One think Yui and Yukino have is that they are really hot and he just doesn't know how to actually settle his relationships with people. I would prefer more interaction with Saki as she seems to be the only girl interested in him that isn't an emotional sponge.

>Are we supposed to believe that the whole "covering up the chocolates with sugar to hide all my problems away" that Yukino actively thinks about is something that a teenager would actually think?

Well,yeah, and even younger, but only in the cases of stuff like domestic abuse, the physical kind.

Yukino in particular? Nah, troublesoume as her faimily might be it shouldn't get to those levels.

I'm saying that they both can't do anything about where they're at. They're incapable of breaking free because of what everyone else thinks of them.

But yeah, I was stretching it a bit. I hope you still get the point, though; Hikigaya and Hayama having more bro moments and bonding over their uniquely similar views would have made for some great scenes.

>image
NOW I'VE LOST IT

Should just replace Yukino and Yui with Hayama and Ebina. Would have given us some interesting interactions. Maybe Saki as well. Zaimokusa once in a blue moon.

Definitely worth being among my top 5 anime, and my favorite LN. I liked S2 a lot better than S1, and i saw the "pretentious" stuff very worthy of a deeper analysis you can't do with most stuff. I find yahari is one of those few series that left its mark in my heart, and contributed a bit to who i am today.
Judging by the replies so far seems like my opinion is not that popular, but yeah, i love it.

I like Yui but I have to admit she doesn't really bring anything to the table. Like, she could have evaporated right after the nice girl speech and things would have gone roughly the same save for the waifuwar.

I KNOW I CAN KILL

>(Yui doesn't care about that)
Yui's character arc has been building towards wanting something like that. I think all three are strutting to want it.

I took as symbolism for the reader rather than her actual words.

You know that gives me an idea.

It could have been pretty interesting if the story wasn't about 8man developing a love triangle, instead his club members being a man and a woman with a crush on each other, with 8man being both unrelated to the romance AND still the protagonist.

Never seen that before, though I admit I'm not exactly a veteran in this kind of stories.

I'm not saying it CAN'T happen, just that it is highly unlikely. Teenagers are a bundle of raging hormones and your first crush can feel like "true love" but I highly doubt any teenager really understands what that is.

I know Anime likes to romanticize it and I'll admit, I get dragged into the shipping parts of a fandom myself if I think a pairing is cute enough, but even most of the high school relationships I observed didn't last past Senior year.

I feel that.

Yahari S1 had this weird quality to it when I watched it. Left me feeling empty for a while after it ended. When I caught on that there was a sequel I freaked out and marathoned it all; wasn't really prepared for the jarring tonal shift and characters being degraded by waifu stuff but I still think of it fondly. Not that I didn't get heavily invested in Yahari's waifu stuff at the time.

I genuinely liked the series and I think a lot of the monologues have some truth to them.

Just kinda wish there was more focus on other parts of the series beside the love triangle.

>a man and a woman with a crush on each other, with 8man being both unrelated to the romance AND still the protagonist.
But where could it go without involving the MC in love triangle shenanigans? He'd be basically a narrator of another person's story.

Teenagers' brains are still in the process of being rewired by puberty. They're primed for failure as far as relationships go.

Yeah, I would have loved to see 8man develop through those people as well rather than just the club. Zaimokusa hits a soft spot for me because I knew that kid in high school. He was a social autist, but he never tried to change himself or front even when talking to the school Stacys, who are legendarily judgmental. My group made fun of his autism regularly because he was once part of it, but in retrospect, I realize that he had it better than a lot of us. I wish that could have been implemented more.
That's fine, but then I could also say that every high school relationship I ever heard of was nothing but complaints, angst, and drama.
That would definitely have been appreciated. I feel like even Yui has gotten the short end of the stick in this series. We know almost nothing about her past, and despite her being a member of the club too, all the positive character development of the series had Yukino as the catalyst. Yukino seems to be the catalyst, through action or inaction, of everything that happens to the main characters. She has the most blatant flags I've ever seen, and she's always shoehorned together with 8man by "fate." The symbolism is on her side too: Yukino is the genuine girl, Yui is not. But real people are far more complex than that. I would be fine with the blatant shipping, but why have a love triangle if the other contender is nowhere near as fleshed out? When it's clear who we're supposed to root for? I feel that the major problems with the love triangle here are that it's just waifu war bait, it undermines the potential of "geniune," and that it'll end with no meaningful fleshing out or development for Yui, who apparently is supposed to be as much a main character as Yukino.

It's a great series when it is using the romcom bullshit as a launching point for 8man to ponder human nature and talk with characters outside of the triangle, but the actual romcom bullshit is just as terrible as it usually is. The adaption of S2 was pretty meh in my opinion because it lost so much of the nuance of the LN. I think it'd be really boring and bland to anyone that hadn't read the volumes beforehand.

The problem with Yui is that she declared she was going to try to win the 8bowl, and then did absolutely nothing for several volumes. Having her confess, get rejected, and then move on as their friend was the way to handle her character, but something like that is too definitive for a LN.

Sensei best woman, Iroha best girl

Or the romance could be sidelined as if it were the side character's sideplot? Up to volume 7 most of the plot worked without direct romance so that's 8man's part: forced community service with some nuanced development into getting closer to people again.

Man, it's as if we unconsciously just assume that whatever hint of a romance will eventually become the main plot and the center of events. Well, the title of the wok doesn't help there...

This is exactly why I think any potential relationship Hachiman forms with either Yui or Yukino wouldn't be "genuine".

No matter how much they care about each other, even they don't really understand what a "genuine" relationship is.

If the series really wanted to be cynical, it could have Hachiman and Yukino hook up after the latter's business with her family is taken care of and just show the process of Yui drifting away from them and eventually the guilt both of feel leads to their eventual break up.

But since that's kinda depressing, just have them all acknowledge their feelings for each other but choose not to pursue anything further to preserve their friendship; time skip to Hachiman entering college and musing about his high school life, but way more mature than before, only to meet up with both girls again and give the fandom something fight about.