Anime Masterpieces

In this thread, we discuss anime that have achieved the highest possible standard in everything ranging from storytelling to technical quality. Don't waste your time bringing up anything that isn't a genuine masterpiece.

Other urls found in this thread:

google.com.jm/search?q=whispers of the heart&oq=whispers of the heart&aqs=chrome..69i57.4734j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
twitter.com/AnonBabble

In this thread, we deride OP for being a fucking faggot and obvious newfag.

>LOGH
>masterpiece

It falls short in the technical side.

>we
Sup Forums is not your personal army.

Fuck off.

Area 88 is trash

That's one way of admitting you're a moron; say something is shit because you're not smart enough to explain why.

I don't think you should be talking about what Sup Forums is and isn't when you clearly got here yesterday.

Rose of Versailles would be a masterpiece if not for it abysmally slow build up in its first half. Discuss

I wasn't much a fan of the latter half either.

Thread begins and ends with pic related.

You're the one who's new.

Watch out guys he has a picture of this thread. Your anime list doesn't even include Naruto Bleach or One Piece, what a fucking newfag.

It has some of the worst dialogue I've come across in anime.

>"Sunset...to me it's the same crimson as blood"

>"I'm a devil incarnate, fueled by the flames of hatred!"

>"So is it true that bastard Boris sleeps with the light on?"
>"He says he's afraid that if he goes into the darkness, he'll never come out again"

That's all within the first half hour.

Shame on the anime for taking poetic license. Dialogue should be made abundantly simple and direct for retards like yourself.

Anime is extremely corny, you just now realizing this? Area 88 is still a masterpiece.

Yes, simple and direct or edgy and pretentious, those are the only two options.

>Anime is extremely corny

Stop making these sweeping generalizations, it makes you look like an idiot.

>doesn't even know what masterpiece means
>posts shit anime
Can I be cool too?

always #1

Eva
Perfect Blue
GitS
Porco Rosso

No Evangelion. Cracker, excuse me.

>moeshit

Two out of eight ain't bad

>GitS
lmao dude

While there's obviously some exceptions, anime is generally cheesy. To deny it would just show a lack of self awareness and perspective. I never said it was a bad thing, I like Area 88 very much after all.
Ping Pong and Akira are very much masterpieces though. Should have put Guilty Crown or something.

>Masterpiece or chef d'Ĺ“uvre (French for lit. 'Work of (the) master') in modern use refers to a creation that has been given much critical praise, especially one that is considered the greatest work of a person's career or to a work of outstanding creativity, skill, profundity, or workmanship. Historically, the word refers to a work of a very high standard produced in order to obtain membership of a Guild or Academy.
How is LoGH not a "greatest work of a person's career or [...] a work of outstanding creativity, skill, profundity, or workmanship"

K-On!

>While there's obviously some exceptions, anime is generally cheesy. To deny it would just show a lack of self awareness and perspective.

Keep moving those goalposts user, I can list PLENTY of serious anime. Anime is a medium, a medium which includes works that vary across the entire spectrum of literary themes.

>fate
lmao dude

>only one exclamation point
Correct

>Rec thread
>This many serious replies

Anime still is no where as good as the peaks of other mediums. There are paragraphs of karamazov that contain more insight into the human condition than many of my favorite shows.

Just put those goalposts on a fucking truck why don't you, wouldn't want you to hurt your back.

Evangelion isn't a masterpiece you stupid idiots.

I can hardly think of any other work that provides as much inside into human nature as Sekkou Boys to be quite honest.

Can there be any doubt?

Anta baka?

>creativity/profundity
Political space drama. Seems absolutely ground breaking. Except Star Trek did it first and better.

>skill/workmanship
Simply: Akira.

>greatest work of a person's career
Macross and Mushishi are, objectively, better.

This is the 2x4 thread.

>Mushishi

>star trek
>episodic show with stupid makeup, hammed up personalities and soap opera drama is better
Confirmed retard.

Kill this white boy

Tripfag idiot.

Filtered.

There are 3 masterpieces

>galaxy express 999
>mobile suit gundam
>masterpieces
I know this is bait, but

This is some truly legendary bait, well done.

>akira

>not addressing significance of TOS as the father of modern politcal space drama
>not addressing the creavity/profundity of LoGH within that context
>r-retard
Stop projecting.

>Comparing star trek and LoGH
Star Trek is a bunch of semi-episodic misadventures of a crew of diplomats

LoGH is the recounting of the rise and fall of empires.

At any rate Star Trek likely doesn't count as a Space Opera owing to its lack of chivalric heroism, and real warfare (skirmishes and daring escapades aboard one ship doesn't really count)

>implying skill is exclusively related to animation quality

>Macross
>Mushishi
They share a studio and that's about it

Is it a masterpiece ? A good anime ? Or just some regular chinese cartoon I particularly enjoyed because I have shit tastes ?

Boku no pico is the greatest anime of all time.
OF ALL TIME!

You don't know what projecting is.

TOS was just a fun space adventure series, not a full on political drama like LotGH. Stop applying your idiotic headcanons to everything.

>A good anime ?
This option, it was pretty flawed, but it had a solid ost, compelling characters, overall mediocre animation, but competent visual direction and a solid plot.

what? what goalposts?

We started at all anime is cheesy and ended at "W-well ruslit is b-better"

I mean obviously karamazov is an extreme example as it is one of the greatest piece a human creation ever, but the point stands.

i'm not the same guy as the cheesy.

>space opera - n. a novel, movie, or television program set in outer space, typically of a simplistic and melodramatic nature
>implying multiple civilizations weren't dying out or losing power during TOS
>implying the scope of TOS wasn't HUGE(multiple civilizations encountered) compared to the small scale of LoGH
>director shared
Thank you for making my points.

>still not addressing any points within the context of the conversation
>hasn't even seen a single TOS episode to realize the scope of what the series tackled - racism/sexism/nationalism/war/religion
>nominated for multiple emmy's as a drama series and won Hugo awards for Best Dramatic Presentation
Tackling political issues, nominated for dramatic series awards and winning, but it's not a drama? Explain yourself.

Comparing literature and anime is fucking asinine, for many many reasons, the main one being is that there is easily thousands of times more written works than there are anime, and that people have been writing centuries, whereas anime has only been produced in any reasonable quantity for a few decades. There is no reason to compare the two, and doing so proves nothing.

Evangelion had better character dynamics than Karamazov, Notes from Underground is Dostoevsky's greatest work, Hemmingway is far superiour to any Russian author and I fucked you're waifu

Oreimo is the greatest anime of this century, no need to discuss about it, it's a fact.

>the highest possible standard in everything ranging from storytelling to technical quality
OP literally mentioned technical quality as a requirement for this thread, which disqualifies LoGH.

And your definition doesn't really work either, since it's an adaption. Everything good about it is from the source material, the anime itself adds nothing aside from the inherent enjoyment of visuals, the direction, animation and art were all dodgy. It's a unique series by anime standards and very enjoyable, but it falls short of being a masterpiece because it doesn't take advantage of the medium.

the novels are garbage.

I didn't say they were a masterpiece either. But the point is an adaption doesn't deserve credit for the story itself, just the way it presents it.

The anime is magnitudes better than the novels

muh source material

>space opera - n. a novel, movie, or television program set in outer space, typically of a simplistic and melodramatic nature
Shitty vague definition. See wikipedia for a non-trash definition.

>LoGH
>small scale
>compared to ST:TOS
nigga

>hurr dozens of civilizations
Doesn't matter how many civilizations they encounter when they only ever meet like 10 of them in a bar or some shit. I've never seen any star trek, but I doubt there was ever a scene in any of them where hundreds of millions of people die.

>shared director
SDF Macross shared director with the OVA director.

>I have not watched OTANW or MCITSOS: the post

Come back when your opinion is worth more than the bandwidth it took to deliver it to my screen

>SEED
>Not SEED Destiny

You had ONE job

Some of my picks.

Okay but that yellow template is revolting.

This is always the most retarded type of comparison. The fact you think one medium is better based on fucking Karamazov on the basis of it's insight into the human condition and are implying this is some sort of objective rating for the quality of a medium is just silly. There is no objective scale for which to measure a quality of a work, so by trying to imply one medium is better than another based on personal preference objectively doesn't work.

What's upper middle?

>retards trying to say area 88 is shit
Kill yourselves

The Illiad, The Bible and Don Quixote are cheesy as well, yet they are still masterpieces.

>7.19 on MAL

NOPE :D

Cel Animation:
>Sadness of Belladonna
>Angel's Egg
>Evangelion
>Ghost in the Shell
>Revolutionary Girl Utena
>Princess Mononoke
>Serial Experiments Lain
>Perfect Blue
Digital Animation:
>FLCL
>Mushishi
>Mononoke
>Kaiba
>Casshern Sins
>Tatami Galaxy
>Kyousougiga
>Tale of Princess Kaguya

I don't really care for anime that isn't intellectually stimulating to some degree.

>no Keit-ai

What's the name of this one with the train right next to LoGH and Macross?

It's good or just one of those pretencious trash that you guys pretend that you like to look smart and cool?

inb4 deletion

>I can't appreciate art, so others must be pretending!
Fuck off digi.

Say whatever you want bro

>Boring Robo
>masterpiece

At least I know I'm right and you're just spouting baseless assumptions.

Fucking jump off a bridge you cancerous shit

Clannad AS
Little Busters (VN)
Aria the Origination
Ping Pong
Ashita no Joe (manga)

>Akira
>masterpiece
u wot m8?

Were you born in 2000?

Fuck off idiot.

>LotGH
Stop, the direction was barely competent and the execution not even so.

Why would you take a tripfag seriously?

Can someone identify the anime in OP's pic of the boy by the windows and the girl. Looks comfy

How contrarian can you be?

Seriously lurk more because it's embarrassing to not recognize that.

Watch more anime and lurk moar newshit

ftfy op.

I am a /fit/izen, how do you think I should specialize in anime. Help me out please

google.com.jm/search?q=whispers of the heart&oq=whispers of the heart&aqs=chrome..69i57.4734j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

whispers of the heart by ghibli