What went wrong with architecture? It used to have depth and soul, nowadays it's generic and uninspired

What went wrong with architecture? It used to have depth and soul, nowadays it's generic and uninspired.

Who's behind this and why?

>i don't like it therefore it's shit

i swear i mustve seen this thread 100 times. Nobody is behind it, it's simply more cost effective

Why even bother replying dingo-fucker? I wouldn't expect Abo to understand why is this important.

>Nobody is behind it
>Humanity on auto-pilot

Who doesn't like falling in love with a beautiful old building but that doesn't mean today's buildings aren't good.

Atheism. Think about it, a lot of churches and the buildings around them matched. Instead of reaching beauty people really focus on getting the damn thing done so they can get money. Back then it was to be considered an artwork. Now it's to be considered a luxury.

Its the (((Bauhaus))) movement.

>generic and uninspired
>posts pics of buildings that all look the same

There's only so many ways you can build something.

No it isn't. Also leftist artists are behind it.

>hurrdurr muh old buildings
>new architecture hurts my feelingz

>tfw I havnt been to tornoto since that huge fucking monstrosity was put onto the museum, but I have to go there for work next week and that eyesore will be directly on my walk to meetings

Cultural despair

literally jews
post ww2, architects that cared about history and tradition were compared to hitler and they still are

the international style was created to erase culture.

Architectural Revival is p based

loss of the sense of sacred

architecture in the past wasn't simply functional, it was also a sacred art that was supposed to spritually elevate those who practiced it, that's what freemasonry was originally about before it degenerated into what it is today

now all it matters is how practical and "cost efficient" a building is, simply another symptom of a purely materialistic culture

I don't know, but we are in need of a renaissance. It's depressing and rage-inducing to see that most buildings from 1960 and onwards are not only boring, but have also been used to replace beautiful classical buildings.

>post ugly British buildings
>ask what went wrong with architecture
are you a troll?

It's like people forgot that buildings are more than just spaces , they bring out emotion and make people happy, proud, unlike the dull and depressing concrete tower blocks.

shut up faggot

agreed and saved, thx. at least most places were spared the horror of brutalism.

The Jew.
Building generic blocks of concrete is cheap, and could be torn down in minutes, since they're not meant to last.

canadian architecture

>postmodernism is ug-

There is nothing wrong with architecture nowadays. IMO it's going to peak in the 20 years with all the new technology and materials coming out.

I never understood this obsession with old outdated buildings. Here the Netherlands we have shitty "historical" villages and towns out of medieval times. They are ugly they are not modern, no beautiful glass buildings, no IT jobs, only this boring small-town-life (everyone knows everyone, no diversity, etc.)

They should be destroyed imo, they actually cost us money. Especially throwing money and restaurations of castles and other boring buildings costs billions of euros. These building are not energy efficient and so they also contribute to climate change.

We should start by demolishing these old crappy buildings and invest in new infrastructure, climate neutral buildings and sustainable energy. This is the future and which will make more money instead of just "m-muh culuture".

Not all modernist/brutalist/international buildings are ugly, but the variety in buildings nowadays seems to be mostly choosing between white or grey alucobond

4/10 jew bait

a lot of postmodernism that uses quality materials, isn't even that bad compared to the unspeakable evils of the '60s and '70s. any city that had a postwar development boom is going to look disgusting.

That means money
They are not more cost effective in the long run because they fall to bits
Money+swindle= (((Jew)))

they don't fall to bits faster than older buildings do
so what's your point?

Fuck off lefty

I want to kill people who are responsible for this

you're overreacting

That looks to much like a kitchen sink to be coincidence.

Jesus christ, who thought that was a good idea? It's so unsightly and wastes space and material by fucking up the surface area

I am not you low T cuckold, this literally kills a nation and a people.

>generic and uninspired
Depends on the area, probably. I for one love what they have done with the World Trade Center

The western world is richer than ever, yet our cities have become uglier. Compare this £400million blah to any ordinary, modest traditional house. It's not about money.

Western architecture is bigoted and carries with it a history of oppression

This is a big reason, but another was a shift in attitude that elevated architecture to 'art' alone. So modern architecture is just people making artistic buildings and plopping them somewhere near a highway, which is another problem: personal vehicles.

Architecture and urban planning stopped caring about the pedestrian. Just near my house there is a shoppers drug mart and a pet store. These buildings line the streets around a whole corner of a block but all you see are brick walls. The doors and windows face the parking lots.

Everything is geared toward the personal vehicle now.

>It used to have depth and soul, nowadays it's generic and uninspired
>West tries to give it depth and soul
>Western architecture is bigoted and carries with it a history of oppression
I mean, what do you want? Do you enjoy the style of old European architecture more, perhaps?

>They had art and soul!
>Copy-paste the same building for miles under government direction

Also, it's more cost effective. A lot of these had to built with government money. Yale is building a new dorm in their old style and it's gonna cost la $300 million dollars.

That fucking JEW DECONSTRUCTIONISM architecture.

Are you saying the jews did this?

Wtf that looks like the bottom of a Dunk-a-roo

This also. You can't have buildings like that if your cities aren't dense. Building cities around cars killed medium density residential buildings.

Post modern architecture has its place but shouldn't be the norm, it is because its cost effective though and cjheap modern buildings age badly

Old buildings keep a sense of style with the environment buildings but are a thing of their own, while modern buildings just make based on materials cost, traditional architecture might be more expensive, but it's worth every cent, because it activates tourism and rise the standard of life around them

No fucking windows, disgraceful.

>it's simply more cost effective
It's fucking not though. Most modern architecture, especially government buildings, cost hundreds of millions of dollars more than they should.

It's not worth every cent since the only reason people go there is because they're old, not because they look like that. There's no point these days in building an office building like that since you're not looking to attract tourists even in the long term, you're looking to offer space for companies. Same for residential buildings.

It's great if you want to preserve the ones that are built already, but building new ones like that is useless.

It is though. Building traditional shit would cost even more because of the detail required.

yup: mass produced materials, a fetish for speed, not giving a fuck about lasting aesthetics

because why would anyone care about building the next parthenon if its just a fucking chain store? buildings owned by big corps or the government are identity-less--much like the souls of american people---and because there is no true sense of ownership, no one gives a fuck

>mfw we would be much happier if we built a much more aesthetic/zen city

like wtf, we have the technology to do so. you think a better living environment would be one of the first steps as the homo superiors

more like an autonomous assembly line, but yeah

I think we're making nice progress

Yeah that looks ugly. Wasn't that bombed out though?

nah, i can respect your opinion, but this brutalist architecture is not the main culprit.

it's corporate chains//cheap, mass produced materials with the most generic finish. it's strip malls, wal-marts, fast food chains, etc. that are killing us.

this actually is unique and appears well-made

this is the real reason the projects are such shit and why welfare is a crime

people need to feel like they are a part of the environent, that they have lasting connection with it---or else they just won't give a fuck

Our old style buildings aren't that old, considering that we started development after we got rid of the spanish, they help tourism and make the cities look better regardless.

reminds me of trent university except somehow we made it work

Pretty sure it was just torn down, i remember seeing a bunch of pics of the demolishion.

Either way it is no excuse

It's beautiful

i like that trent university pic; very nice.
the issue is not the brutalist aesthetic; (hell, most of hitler's architecture was brutalist and monolithic, weird that Sup Forums hates that stuff)

again, it's pop-up architecture that sucks. it's shitty paint jobs, garrish advertisements, and too much plastic. it's all shit.

It's the trees, they make everything look better.

Thats pretty old though. Most of Europe's buildings that look like this date around from mid to late 1800's also.

Point is, unless the government gets involved, no one is willing to make extra effort because they don't directly benefit from it. Even Paris had to basically be rebuilt under Louis Napoleon to make it look like that, and that was based pretty much on his own aesthetics and the plans of one architect.

Scientists have found out what our cities will look like in 50 years and its beautiful

Where is this?

>)))))

you're behind the times, this is the future

This thing looks like a giant tick or something sucking the blood.

That photo looks ugly as fuck, is that some sort of filter?

This thread is DISGUSTING

That's because (((someone))) is taking their part of the deal.

>believing the palm jew

take the pine pill

It's just another way that they are trying to remove white culture.
They chip away at it slowly so you don't notice, but eventually you find out it's gone.

Where is Howard Roark when you need him?

you're just bigoted

But once it's done it should be obvious why it works and why it's a desirable aesthetic.

That's why we built like this too.

Dude Europe has laws and regulations forbidding tampering with certain districts. I think the UK is the exception, but this exists basically everywhere from Spain to Italy to Russia.

Who the fuck would design such a shit?

germany

Unless citizens are willing to foot the bill to build entire districts like this it's not happening.

Don't worry, (((they))) will find a loophole around it.

Wouldn't that have been bombed out then? I don't people just looking to put buildings up quickly are preoccupied with much else besides that. It's why Berlin looks so mixed up.

It's worth noting that most of those buildings were bombed during WWII, and Finland wasn't exactly in a good position to rebuild the best buildings post-war.

Down town Helsinki still has lots of good architecture.

It's not profitable to do this. You have to rely on government spending.

But you all hate government so why the fuck are you fags even complaining?

It's like you vote to destroy something then complain it's gone. Classic burger mentality.

You know just because something has a Germanic name it doesn't immediately make that thing Jewish.
Also, pic related is what Bauhaus actually looks like.

jews

yeah but what do you want them to build? you can't keep building the same shit forever,our ancestors didn't do that either. They evolved their styles.

I don't hate the government per se, I hate capitalist government, money itself shouldn't be society's final goal.

ITT people with no understanding of architecture, economics, or even art in general.

>burger education

I agree, things are only getting better

>Who's behind this and why?
Reptilians. It's always Reptilians.

"from 1930 until 1933, when the school was closed by its own leadership under pressure from the Nazi regime, having been painted as a centre of communist intellectualism. "

KYS.

aldof loos, concrete and nouveau riche with no taste.