1998 AOTY

What was the best anime of 1998?

strawpoll.me/10435029

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Pv6_BYkTgbA
youtu.be/9pSCW05yEVs
youtube.com/watch?v=c1_6OdRBWds
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Fucking amazing year so it's hard for me to just pick one, but Cowboy Bebop is my favorite anime of all time. Perhaps favorite franchise too.

Outlaw Star

I thought that the simpsons season back then was pretty good

Glad to see someone remembered Twilight Of The Dark Master, such a fucking weird OVA

Is this for real? If it is then that was one fucking amazing year for anime.

Y K K
K
K

Finally a good year.

Lain, no contest.

>Bebop
>Perfect Blue
>CCS
>no contest

>a handful of good TV anime and a couple of decent OVAs
>"good year"

Yeah no contest

You have some extreme shit taste.

youtube.com/watch?v=Pv6_BYkTgbA
No contest.

Kill yourself. The year is as good as any.

Why is Cowboy Bebop winning easily?

Lain

Do you really have to ask that?

Summerfags.

Because it's insanely popular when compared to all of the other anime of 1998 with how many people in the west watched it.

Because they decided to do all these polls just as Summer was beginning. They're useless garbage.

1997 was excellent too.
It's 1999 that's shit.

Patrician's choice: Lain
Casual's choice : Cowboy bebop

others shouldn't even be considered

because the other options are shit

>Outlaw Star and Trigun not considered
Found the pleb.

>Bebopfags

Why was this even a poll?

Reminder that moot liked Cowboy Bebop. It's a deserving winner.

I don't even know what Lain is but I'm going to assume it's some pretentious, try-hard bullshit. Am I correct with my guess?

Pretty much. All the edgelords on Sup Forums think it's a masterpiece.

>Kill yourself.

You first. CCS, Cowboy Bebop, Lain, YKK and Perfect Blue are the only things of note on that list. You probably haven't even seen most of the anime on that list, or you'd realize how shit they are.

Summer, ladies and gentlemen.

I'm just glad I'm not the only one who voted for Lodoss War.

>summer
Go back to Sup Forums with your shit memes.

I almost did, but Twilight of the Dark Master was more compelling and Lodoss took a nose-dive in my Give-A-Fuck pool after the Fahn/Beld duel.

>after the Fahn/Beld duel.
But that's when it got good.

Actual patrician's choice is Fancy Lala with honorable mention to Gasaraki. Lain is still good though.

I'm surprised Initial D is tracking above CCS.

I disagree. Ashram was a second-tier villain and Vagnard couldn't even be taken seriously. Nothing was as moving or as powerful after that fight, the series was almost a perfectly symmetrical bellcurve in quality with the apex being the duel.

Kill yourself kyoanifag

Trigun > Bebop
You know it's true

>Gasaraki

I wanted to like this so much it made my dick hurt, but it turned into such a mess after like episode 4 I had to drop it. The supernatural shit could have been dumped completely and that might have saved it.

Because it's very good despite being popular.

more like Trigun ≠ Bebop

It isn't.

No Record of Lodoss War and Fancy Lala?

>fancy lala
Again, you're just a Kyoani fag.

While Lala was no CCS it really gave me the 80s vibe and nostalgia for Magical Emi.

Lala's OP was hype!
youtu.be/9pSCW05yEVs

Meanwhile there are are much more TV anime nowadays and none from this year can qualify as good.

KyoAni only animated 6 of the 26 episodes you fucking imbecile. You probably haven't even watched it in the first place. It's easily one the best traditional mahou shoujo out there.

Lets all love Lain

"Classic" style magical girl shows where the magic is about letting them do adult things and not fighting evil by moonlight...PuriPara is the modern take?

>what is rakugo

Hot damn, the year of my birth was fucking stacked.

Metal Gear Solid

>I don't even know what Lain is
Fuck off back to Sup Forums

Holy shit. What happened to Sup Forums?

>Neo Sup Forums isnt on the wired yet
These are good times

>It's easily one the best traditional mahou shoujo out there.
This is precisely why you're an idiot.

CCS

I enjoyed Bubblegum Crisis 2040 more than the original ovas

I think the originals beat 2040 over the head in terms of style, sound and aesthetic.
But 2040 at least has a single, continuous story that actually fleshes out the girls and the world more than the flashy vignettes of the original.
And before anyone tries to say I hated the original, I payed 120 bucks to the recent Kickstarter for the American release of the BDs.

Someday YKK will get the anime it deserves, or not.

Probably not

Just rewatched Outlaw Star. Holds up better than Bebop in terms of sheer fun.

Blue Submarine No.6 !

2 Votes

Not Bebop

Metal Gear Solid

I love Lain and others in that list are real gems, but Perfect Blue is just fucking perfect.

Please die.

Let's all love Lain!

>Cowboy shit
I expected better from you people.

>nobody voting for Silent Möbius

Wasn't the TV series shit? I can't remember whether I even watched it, but I loved the old OVA.

As amazing as that list is, and as special of a place in my life that Kare Kano has, there's a fucking reason literally everyone knows what Cowboy Bebop is.

Because, despite your contrarian nature and anti-establishment attitudes, it's one of the most critically acclaimed anime of all time and it deserves every single bit of it.

Oh shit I didn't realize D came out in 98. It's a close one but Lain still wins out

>Cowboy Bebop winning
Sup Forums has deteriorated so much lately

Lain no contest.
None.

And it was an amazing year

Tripfag idiot.

I voted for Card Captor Sakura

>Sup Forums has deteriorated so much lately
Because of morons like you, yes.

But he has been here a while. Stay mad that your favourite episodic Western-pandering trite show is plain and utter shit.

Cowboy Bebop is great, but Lain definitely outranks it.

>But he has been here a while
>turning your trip off to back yourself up as anonymous in third person
You are pathetic.

Bebop beating lain is almost as bad as FMA beating Kino in the other strawpoll

I didnt realize Sup Forums had such shit taste

Literally not even me, though he did say everything that I was planning on saying. Get some taste man.

You didn't just post your actual tripcode in public?

You could have realized that by simply opening the catalog at any time.

I never saw the TV series but in general TV spinoff series tended to be pretty uninspired/bad cash grabs that'd get made if an OVA sold well enough.

>Wasn't the TV series shit?
Lodoss? Yes. The first half is particularly bad because it's just a QUALITY retelling of the latter half of the OVAs. The second half of the TV series, following Spark, is better, but still not good.
By the end of the series, the only things I was really enjoying were the omake shorts at the end of each episode dubbed.
Still, Eternally God-tier OP.
youtube.com/watch?v=c1_6OdRBWds

Lurk more, retard. Newfags like you are the problem, not the other way round.

I fully expected FMA to take 2003 and Bebop to take 1998.

Most of us Murrikans got into anime off Toonami/Adult Swim.
The shows that aired there have nostalgia going for it.

Personally, I voted Lain and Kino because I think they're better than their competition.
Although that's not to say things like Bebop and FMA are bad. Bebop is actually extremely good, just not Lain good.

>moot
>literally who

>Most of us Murrikans got into anime off Toonami/Adult Swim.
>The shows that aired there have nostalgia going for it.

I mean, i get that. But don't vote one just for nostalgia.

Fuck my first anime (which i knew was anime so not pokemon) was Inuyasha, and I aint voting that the best AOTY

>I didn't realize Sup Forums had such shit taste

Sup Forums is the epitome of casual and shit taste in user, this is a commonly known fact.

Because it is a great fucking show and it has everything you could ask for except a happy ending.

No, it clearly is you, because you're the only one idiotic enough to defend yourself.

Again, fuck off idiot.

I might be too hasty saying it's just the nostalgia that is winning it. Maybe people just couldn't digest Lain, and found it super confusing and bizarre.
Bebop, on the other hand, doesn't even require an analytic mind to enjoy. It's got fun characters, great action, and a compelling story, all topped with bitchin' style.

Basically, I'm saying Lain was 2deep for some people. That's probably why they're picking Bebop.