Geothermal... Why not?

Despite being one of the lowest-cost and most reliable renewable energy sources, harnessing heat from the Earth almost doesn't happen outside Iceland.

dw.com/en/geothermal-energy-why-hasnt-it-caught-on-yet/a-40487029

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.fo/gdfmQ
abc.net.au/news/2016-08-30/geothermal-power-plant-closes-deemed-not-financially-viable/7798962
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Staufen_im_Breisgau#Geothermal_drilling_controversy
wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth's_internal_heat_budget
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_pump
twitter.com/AnonBabble

probably jews

We have it in NV. Shit's expensive to build and that's its only problem.

we actually have it, you need a volcano

just adding, not samefagging

In future it maybe even be possible to power ships by using different stream temperatures. Cool stuff

Because Iceland is over a big magma chamber.

Only good in the US out in west with the rockies and most of that is Federal land so only the government will be able to greenlight it

it cools the earths core until it solidifies. then the earth literally cracks apart and we're all dead. keep using coal fuck boi

>Why not?
Because nuclear is better.

didn't you play ff7, baka?

>german understanding of science

You have to have that heat source below your area for it to work.

Not everywhere has a volcano near by.

archive.fo/gdfmQ

abc.net.au/news/2016-08-30/geothermal-power-plant-closes-deemed-not-financially-viable/7798962

yeah, it was talked about here a fair bit around 10 years ago well that's when i first started hearing about it)
the idea was to drill rather than put it over any volcanoes (we dont have any)
it was probably to costly for us
it works in pretty much the same way nuclear does
it's just steam turning a turbine

>a cooling heat source maybe a kilometer or two below the surface is going to cool the core, more than 6,000km away

German "intelligence."

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Staufen_im_Breisgau#Geothermal_drilling_controversy
The devil will get you.

cheers

There just isn't really a lot of heat coming from the earth. Less than a tenth of a watt per square meter
wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth's_internal_heat_budget

>german "intelligence" leads them to build a geothermal plant near the city
>german "intelligence" leads them to think geothermal is at fault.
hmmmmm

Not exactly, but true enough

Same as why nuclear isn't used as much as it should: them oil money

Geothermal electricity is expensive to build, but geothermal heating and cooling is far more affortable.

1) You need to have correct pressure/distance from heat source. Using pumps with big energy consumption would be counter-productive.
2) You need to use some organic shit as medium in turbine because geothermal power can't reach the same temperature as burning fossil fuels. Generally this would require adjustments to construction of turbine and correct risk assessment. Humanity has like 150 years of experience with using water in this type of devices.

I don't know much about this subject but these are two problems I can see - correct location for profitable operation and lack of experience with this kind of operations, which means that it will cost a lot more.

>geothermal heating and cooling
is that the home air conditioning thing?
i remember seeing something about that, seemed really interesting

I like how this image totally ignores how you build pipelines down by the magma. Don't worry about it. Just pump the water all the way down there and back up through magic pipes!

It's expensive as fuck to build and difficult to maintain. But if you live in an area where it can be done easily then sure it is a great solution.

>expensive
heck we have it lol

No, this requires chiller unit (works like fridge) for winter operation. It compress the medium and allows heat transfer against temperature gradient. In summer it works like normal heat exchanger. This devours energy because of combined pump + compressor,

>hot fluid goes down
how do they do it? pump or something smarter?

yeah i was a bit surprised to see some of these countries had iti presumed that only well-to-do countries would be able afford it
but like said it's down to location

>here the water is compressed
>water
>compressed

>This devours energy
damn, that sucks. it looked pretty cool but i dont get how it works

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_pump

Yes drill into a volcano.

>German encouraging coal burning
Typical

thanks, i guess it could be a more feasible option if power consumption could be lowered
still seems pretty cool

I want nuclear power to be used more. But only people who know how to handle it.

Because Iceland is really geologically active, not all places are. You've got to build near or on hotspots which means your build sites are limited unless you want to spend the money to drill exceptionally deep. Nuclear does the same thing but it's fuel is easier to get at and can be moved around so you can build plants in a wider range of locations.