As elitist as this board is about anime...

As elitist as this board is about anime, why is it acceptable to not know any Japanese and rely on translations all the time?

Is this not hypocritical? Shouldn't we be holding ourselves to a higher standard? This would effectively keep out casuals and normalfags, would it not?

learning japanese would seriously cut into my masturbating to loli time

Because such a small portion of Sup Forums actually knows japanese well enough for it to become the prevailing elitist majority opinion

You could masturbate to untranslated loli manga if you knew Japanese.

Because this is an English website.
Fuck off to 2ch or 2chan or whatever.

But we're waching Japanese cartoons. The characters all speak Japanese.

Indeed.
And if you wanted an analytical approach to the medium then you should definitely seek out people capable of speaking Japanese fluently.
But this is not that kind of website.
I can only repeat my suggestion to fuck off and look for a community that caters more to your particular autism.

Learning a language with complex characters is simply not worth doing, especially one with the unique context of being made for an isolated, homogenous, and anti-individual society

>anime fans more casual than me are filthy normal fags that need to fuck off
>anime fans more hardcore than me are autistic and need to fuck off

wew lad

I don't understand this board.

>Learning one of the more difficult language tiers just to watch cartoons and be "elite" on an image board.

Stranger things have happened

>I don't understand this board.
Then maybe you should lurk more.
And I said neither of these things that you misquoted me on.

Neo-Sup Forums is filled with hypocritical failed normies it's best not to think too hard about it

>Then maybe you should lurk more.

This is the Sup Forums version of "you mad"

I've been coming to this board (and learning Japanese) for many years but have lately developed a contempt for the so-called "hardcore anime fans" on this board that refuse to even learn the language of the hobby they spend so much time on and instead enforce arbitrary rules for newcomers under the guise of "board culture".

>This is the Sup Forums version of "you mad"
Not really.
There's plenty of common phrases that fit the description more. Maybe lurk more?
>so-called "hardcore anime fans"
So called by whom?
>enforce arbitrary rules
Like you are doing right now.
>under the guise of "board culture".
But that is the entire point. We don't want faggots coming in and just posting without lurking. This isn't about powerlevels. If you know how to behave yourself by Sup Forums's standards, you'll find Sup Forums to be a hospital place where you can have fun. If you don't care to acclimatize, then you deserve the full brunt of Sup Forums's hostility.
All you're doing is throwing a tantrum because you've finally learned something new and Sup Forums doesn't acknowledge it because it's an anonymous website and we don't suck the cocks of random nobodies just because they can speak Japanese.

Just a simple reminder that the normalfags you hate so much can also learn japanese and watch as much anime as you.

Why does this place have such a false dichotomy for normalfags?

enjoy

There's lots of normalfags who know Japanese and have only watched 5 anime.
Making mastery of Japanese a requirement to post on Sup Forums is not going to keep newfags or casuals out. It's just going to drive out all the oldfags (besides 90% of the rest) and effectively kill the rest because most of the new population would be newfags who just came here after hearing about this awesome new Sup Forums that was Japanese-only.

Learning a language is a long term commitment, I have other things I'd prefer to spend my time on.

As for your perception of the average Sup Forums user, that's some serious projection.

We do have /djt/
I'm only reading yotsubato but it feels satisfying

Everyone is one way or another, a normalfag. I just don't know why you want to feel superior.

>I don't understand this board.
Isn't that your problem, not the board's?

I don't feel superior to normalfags.

>projection

When will this shitty meme die?

Many people have been here for years. What is their excuse? After many years they still wait for translations.

>There's lots of normalfags who know Japanese and have only watched 5 anime.

I disagree. The only normalfags who really know Japanese live and work in Japan.

>Then maybe you should lurk more.
>This is the Sup Forums version of "you mad"
If you actually think this, you're the one who's new as fuck

>Fuck off to 2ch or 2chan
Why is this the go-to kneejerk reaction?

He's making a point, since you're too dumb to realize it.

>What is their excuse?
They don't need an excuse.
>I disagree.
I don't care if you disagree. This is not a matter of opinions.
>The only normalfags who really know Japanese live and work in Japan.
I know a guy who spent 3 years in Japan for dancing lessons. He doesn't care about anime beyond Ghibli.
I know a different guy who learned Japanese because he practices karate.
Then there's that Japanese dude who somehow learned the language during his childhood. I'm not sure how that happened.

There are plenty of those people out there. Stop projecting.

Sup Forums isn't elitist, it's a bunch of moeshit loving basement dwellers who think they're hot shit but are really the bottomfeeders of the anime social ladder.

Sup Forums is full of hypocrites, it's a well known fact.

>Anime social ladder

Um what?

>the bottomfeeders of the anime social ladder.
The anime social what?

Don't mind the autist. He thought telling you to fuck off to 2ch would be the right thing to do, since he is trying to fit in.

>When will this shitty meme die?

So you don't have a rebuttal then? When was the last time you saw someone call themselves a hardcore anime fan on Sup Forums? We mock other forums for that kind of behavior. The users of Sup Forums don't get to make or enforce rules, but many of the things we expect people to do, like searching for source themselves before asking, are hardly arbitrary. I'm accusing you of projecting because you are projecting. Oh wait, you called something a meme just because you disagreed with it. I guess actual discussion will be lost on you, carry on.

>Sup Forums
>elitism

Watching the seasonal moeshit or shounen jump shit doesn't make you a fucking elite.

You're not an elite because you watch Re:Zero, HunterxHunter and Yuru Yuri.

If you had actually studied Japanese, you wouldn't have this retarded opinion.

Not co-signing his post but our attitude does imply that there's some sort of hierarchy when it comes to watching anime.

My point is that the normalfags who know Japanese don't come to this board in the first place. Anime fans come here and having a higher standard for everyone would only raise the quality of the entire board.

FYI, at the top are anime societies, you fags.

There are lots of people here who have watched 50 anime or less.

Nobody calls themselves hardcore but don't try to pretend everyone here doesn't think they're a member of the most "hardcore" online anime community. This is the last stop for most people.

>spend hours practicing everyday to learn a niche language for anime and manga

Gee I don't know OP, this is some grade A bait

>As elitist

holy shit. get trips for yourself you faggot. so you can rub yourself off when people reply to your fagotry.

All people who only watched 50 anime or less should die on the spot.

People choosing to take OP's post literally, why?

This a million times.

This board is actually full of normalfags just playing pretend to fit in.

No.
Our attitude is about your behavior on Sup Forums. We can't judge anything else.

Of course if you post your number of watched anime and it's less than 100 then that's a different story. At that point hierarchy plays a role. But you should note that there is not much of a hacking order beyond that. A guy with 300 watched titles won't take shit from a guy with 600 titles just because the other guy has watched more anime.
Instead he'll redirect him back to MAL for trying to use his epeen as an argument.

The only hierarchy is this:
- Japanese
- Other yellow Asian
- Other Asian
- Blacks
- Whites

Letting whitey touch anime is a mistake. See how much bullshit BBC is peddling with their "japan didn't take immigrant ;_;" bullshit.

Fuck white people.

>everyone here doesn't think they're a member of the most "hardcore" online anime community.
I don't.
I like Sup Forums/a/ for several features. But it's not because they are hardcore anime watchers.

Because then there would be no difference between Sup Forums and /jp/ and fuck those faggots in /jp/ who are even more elitist than we are.

>But you should note that there is not much of a hacking order beyond that
Really?

>VLC
>streaming
>having certain "tastes"

So /jp/ is based.

/jp/ discusses different subjects. They're allowed to be elitist if they spent the time learning the native language of the hobby they enjoy.

/jp/ is pretty chill

I guarantee you that the majority of Sup Forums have seen less than 100 anime, stream and have a popular anime liked by normalfags such as Fate/Zero, Snk, SAO, etc... as their favorite anime.

They are normalfags plebs who want to keep other normalfags plebs away from Sup Forums. Yeah thats how dumb this fucking board is.

>>VLC
>>streaming
Yes, behavior on Sup Forums. You need to be really new or stupid to post a streaming screenshot on Sup Forums.

>>having certain "tastes"
That's not about hacking order.

You wouldn't be here if the quality of discussion was on the level of Gaia.

It's funny how no one tells each other to go to Gaia anymore. Perhaps the oldfags left and now we're left with newfags?

>have a popular anime liked by normalfags as their favorite anime
You're a funny guy.
Do you really think that's a bad thing?

No I don't think thats a bad but neo-Sup Forums does.

>You wouldn't be here if the quality of discussion was on the level of Gaia.
I completely agree.
>It's funny how no one tells each other to go to Gaia anymore.
That's because gaia is dead.
We don't get anyone from there anymore.

/jp/ is right for you
We're anime fans, not weeaboos

You're failing to address why posting vlc shots/streaming is frowned upon.

>don't try to pretend everyone here doesn't think they're a member of the most "hardcore" online anime community

Where are you getting this from, and what is hardcore meant to mean in this context? I come to Sup Forums because I don't like the other options for discussing anime in english. I've spent some time on other forums and I didn't enjoy the experience.

The gaia boogyman has been replaced with reddit and tumblr.

Semi-arbitrary rules to enforce lurking.

Also, quality.

Sheesh, it's just a language

And you rely on amateur translators to give you accurate translations. Not everything can be smoothly translated into English, either.

Most of this board is pathetic EOPs who will never learn. This shouldn't be a surprise.

>amateur translators
Not saying they're good, but HS delivers translations from literal professionals.

Most of this board is ESL from SEA. They can't even speak English decently. Most congregate in LN-based general too.

So? Wether you know japanese or not changes nothing.

Language is difficult, that's about it, specially asian ones. Even the japs can't keep up with english language and various accents that you'll see a lot of western media having a japanese sub.

Using a persons inability to learn a new language to generalize him for being what? Hypocritical? "Not having a higher standard"?

What a fucking cheap argument.

Yeah Re:Zero threads are absolutely terrible in that regard.

>mfw going into LN based anime threads and having to read through posts from retards who read summarized spoilers from some faggot who barely knows Japanese

LNs were a mistake.

>Language is difficult

It isn't as difficult as most people think. I'm not saying everyone should be fluent in Japanese, but this board collectively knows nothing other than a few words like かわいい

>Even the japs can't keep up with english language and various accents that you'll see a lot of western media having a japanese sub.

If they were discussing western media on a board such as Sup Forums I would hold them to the same standard.

>Using a persons inability to learn a new language

What inability? You're just lazy.

>inability to learn a new language

Just say you're lazy. It's at least honest.

>If they were discussing western media on a board such as Sup Forums
Then they should be banned for breaking >>>Sup Forumsrules/1.

>I'm not saying everyone should be fluent in Japanese,
The OP is saying that.

>but this board collectively knows nothing other than a few words like かわいい
And there's nothing wrong with that.

>What inability?
Not the guy you were talking to, but I'm clinically depressed to the point where I've been deemed unfit for any kind of work. It's been like this for 6 years now, and I don't expect it to change anytime soon.
I can't sit down and practice a language.

We're not /jp/

>but I'm clinically depressed to the point where I've been deemed unfit for any kind of work. It's been like this for 6 years now, and I don't expect it to change anytime soon. I can't sit down and practice a language.

Holy shit

If you're that pathetic then just fucking kill yourself.

>blacks above whites
Nigger detected

Because Japanese is fucking hard

Nah, that's a reverse-baiting Sup Forumsack.

At least blacks don't have insane morality agendas that'll recreate a meme show

It really isn't. Spend 20 minutes a day on it and in a month you'll be surprised at how much progress you've made.

Overlord general is painful to read.

Why are mods such pussy ass that they are afraid of some fanbase getting mad? Should've forced LNfags out to /jp/

It isn't, you just haven't even tried.

>20 minutes a day
>1 month
>~600 minutes
>10 hours
Pretty much nothing.

nice try

Because the quality is noticiably worse, and torrenting and getting KCP are not hard things to do.

*noticeably

youcan'tlearnjapanese.tiff.exe.png

Because most anons are being realistic and they know they can't learn Japanese.

I can and did. You don't need to spend 3 hours a day studying when you're just starting out.

Different user, but it's not uncommon to be too depressed to kill yourself. Paradoxical, but it's common knowledge among psychologists.

As someone that has actually studied a few years of Japanese I can tell you this is bullshit, this only works while you are still learning kana, basic vocabulary and the first few particles. Once you get into kanji and all the verb forms this is not really enough if you want to make real progress.

What elitism is there? Just don't post like a retard and follow the rules. If someone calls you out for being a newfag then you probably did something stupid, like implying making proficiency in Japanese a requirement would somehow make this board better.
>Higher standards
Yeah. Okay.

Because its a dying language.

I'd rather learn Spanish/Urdu/Arabic.

At least those subhumans will never go extinct.

As someone who has spent 7 years studying and can read and watch anything without problems, you don't need to spend a lot of time studying everyday when you're first starting out.

>this only works while you are still learning kana, basic vocabulary and the first few particles.

That's the fucking point. People should ease into it until studying Japanese becomes a daily habit.

I have been considering to learn Nip but I ended up fapping anyway.

This.

Using language barriers as an excuse to distance yourself from other people is fucking absurd.

Japanese is not a difficult language, but learning a new language is difficult.

This is bait. Just want to point it out for retards.

The point is you can get away with doing 20 minutes for the first month. Obviously it's going to take longer as you learn more. I do both a kanji and vocab deck on Anki and my first month only took about 20 minutes a day. Nowadays it's about 90 minutes a day.