Daily Japanese Thread DJT #1571

Cornucopia of Resources / Guide
Read the guide before asking questions.
docs.google.com/document/d/1pKgBm8Aa58mjB1hYhbK-VOPZsRBTXBuPBzw8Xikm2ss/pub?embedded=true

Previous Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

detail.chiebukuro.yahoo.co.jp/qa/question_detail/q1274059622
twitter.com/bot_erection
nihongo.monash.edu/cgi-bin/wwwjdic?1E
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

superior OP image

もう諦めたほうがいいよ

ALWAYS GIVE UP

>im the one in the thread that has been saying English is quite difficult, I understand that even as a native speaker. I learned German for about 2 years and had to stop for reasons. Would I have an """"easier"""" time with Japanese? No genders and more straightforwardness sounds nice.
If you already know one, learning another germanic language already gives you an edge since words have a tendency to be similiar to ones you already know. Seeing it from a "from scratch" point of view, I'd say Japanese is one of the easier languages to learn that I have come across. As I said earlier though, Kanji will always be there, in the way a bit...

>I don't know what you mean by particles as i learnt it through hands on practice and next to no tutelage.
If you can converse and write/read and have not studied particles, I would suggest doing so since it adds so much structure to sentences. And seeing it is one of the first things you learn, it might be good.

user Core is based on the Frequency Dictionary of Japanese. It actually has a fair amount of particles and shit like that in it though which is pretty stupid.

Both Core and user Core are pointless though. You waste months slogging through them only to realise when you're done that you still can't read a single page of anything without having to look up multiple words (and the words you do know, you would learn quickly anyway just by reading because of how often they're used).

t. user who can't read Yotsuba

i'm 142730442 →

I did notice how in German basically every third word could be just context clue'd. Right now I'm done with 平仮名 and starting on Katakana. I'm actually not that worried about Kanji being the most daunting task, considering it is vocabulary. I do understand that it is still not fun.

I want to try out the JALUP decks but I don't want to give them my money

Wait, so which one is better? Core 2k/6k or user Core? Thank you for the help.

I a DJT newfriend so be gentle.
I did read in the guide that the recommended resources are free. Is Jalup and alternative to anki?

>I do understand that it is still not fun.
Pretty fun to me. Like catching pokemon and shit.

>sentence decks
It's guaranteed bullshit.

JALUP is an approach to learning Japanese as a whole, and they have decks that can be used in Anki
The decks cost money to download though

Has /djt/ ever lost someone?

As another user said, with the right mindset it can become fun! Go at it bro, never falter!
You can learn Japanese!

Japanese has made me lose myself.

fuck off with your feels shit

For those comfortable with reading in japanese, what do you think about it, compared to reading in your native language?

I'm at the level where I can read and understand things save some weird complex sentences (with the help of a dictionary for my poor vocab), but the "reading" feels too unnatural to me. I hate to *set* my brain "ok, now I'm going to process kanas" and actually think "oh, this is a verb... in it's -teiru, but there's a -wakenai later so this mess up everything..." etc

Where in english (or my native language) I can read almost skipping words and still make sense of everything.

I'm mostly curious to think when I'll be able to get at this level for japanese, like see an outdoor on the street while driving and read it naturally...

JALUP decks are not worth it... but I like the idea behind them where you have the sentence on the front and the back only defines the one new word/grammar point/whatever. The switch to Japanese definitions/explanations is pretty nice... but definitely not worth the money.

thanks for the motivation anons. i needed it

>he fell for the being able to learn Japanese meme

>
>>sentence decks
>It's guaranteed bullshit.
What do you do... just a single word on the front?

I feel like sentence decks plant a seed in your mind and give you a place to anchor the meaning/reading/kanjis of a word for when you see it out in the wild.

What is your beef with sentence cards? Do you think people would just memorize the sentence and glaze over the kanji since they are using the clues of the words around the target word?

Wow wow, calm down please

So Tae Kim says that べからず is for things one must not do. Looking through my notes, though, the same can be expressed through te-form + は + だめ.
Is there a meaningful difference?

If you're just starting out, I would recommend downloading the JapanesePod101 nihongo dojo lessons and drilling/reading and re-reading the dialogues. As you listen and read the scripts, visualize the situation instead of trying to translate words back to another language that you understand.
You'll git gud fast, I promise, bb. :3

なれるならなるということでやんすな

>なれるならなる
my mind is so full of fuck.
>it becomes if it can become?

べからず is generally more formal, and you're not often going to see it outside of written material.

In general, however, there are a lot of ways to say everything, so it's best to not worry just because you see two different things that seem to mean the same thing. Just read more and the difference in usage will become clear.

Things like that I can almost read fast/naturally, it's when kanjis are involved that my brain halts.

I'm guessing:

> なれるなら (なる + える + なら)
If you can become
> なる
Then become
> ということで
Therefore
> やんすな (I'm guessing it's やすんな)
It's easy

Something like "If it was so easy to be, everyone would be" or a similar expression.

>>> やんすな (I'm guessing it's やすんな)
>It's easy
>
>Something like "If it was so easy to be, everyone would be" or a similar expression.

Not that guy but でやんす is just a jokey sentence ending
detail.chiebukuro.yahoo.co.jp/qa/question_detail/q1274059622

I need a name for a fansub group.

It has to be the most philosophically pretentious Japanese and/or English name you can think of.

I agree, I myself wanted to do this translation but halted when I thought about transalting なるということで or splitting it up when you did. I couldnt find anything that made perfect justice in english for neither of them, so I stopped short.

I would translate it as "I you can become, "becoming" is easy"
Its a weird sentence though

>watch episode of anime raw with no problems
>I did it, I learned japanese!
>load up next episode
>need to check japanese subs every other line

e.g. [DesuDescartesSubs], but worse.

>Sabbu

>でやんす is just a jokey sentence ending
Oh my

そもそもここでまともな日本語期待すてはいけないよ
ここで書かれた日本語はちゃんと意味のあるものだとは限らない

What really makes you go "WHY JAPANESE PEOPLE?"?

the fact that anyone thinks that faggot is funny

I would actually crack the fuck up if he was just like HOWAI JAPANIIZU PIIPURU! NANDE ORE NO OWARAI DE WARAUNDAYO?! OMOSHIROKUNAI YO!

"-rareru"

I trust you on the でやんす-thing, making it =to です.
I now find the sentence to lose meaning though.
なれるなら なるということ です
If you can become, (it is equal to/it is that) you become. (?)

I know, but if the sentence is correct, I want to analyze it since it is possible. Sorry, moon runes keyboard been set to off atm, haven't bother setting it back on cause layz

なれるまいとべきはずのきさまくそワロタ

>implying

both true

The fact that Japanese people are most of the times, uninformed

OWARAI HA DONATTEREBA II TTE WAKE JA NAI N DA YO?!

While searching for 池上 I accidentally found 痴女.

>池上
地上のまちがいじゃね?

はっはっはッ!どこでそんな悪い言葉学んだの?イヤー若い人は怖いですよね。
おいこら、貴様打っ殺してやるぜ!

Are we actually talking about the same thing?

When I refer to the "WHY JAPANESE PEOPLE" meme, I'm talking about:

>は
>ha

>は
>wa

whyjapanesepeople.txt

Basically the meme exclusive to DJT I believe where we take the piss out of the language we're learning.

Table of on'yomi readings (for joyo kanji only, so no 姦 for you). The only thing I can say looking at it is: "Japan, ur ok?"

The particle は is something we bash at? I'm sorry, but you had me lost

This holy shit they make look like the average Sup Forums user like an educated and informed person.

So basically you used a meme without actually understanding it?

Just an example.

We do it with kanji that look almost exactly the same typically.

And of course, this is not on the subject of animu and mango, I'm talking real fucking world stuff, but I'm sure you understood this

>経つ
初めて聞く、「過ぎる」ってもっと普通じゃん?

あまりにも効率的なものではありません

Do you know any cool Twitter accounts I could follow for practice?

至って普通だよ、「経つ」は

No, it was the name of the address of an apartment that I was looking into to stay in next year in Japan. 池上東京 = Ikegami Tokyo

Silly me, why did I use 音読み on an address.

This one is for good laughs if you want green jokes senpai: twitter.com/bot_erection

Look for your waifu's name in their Japanese form.

There could possibly be a Twitter bot for her.

I know there's one for Sakura Chiyo. It's pretty interesting.

くそワロタって何?

>Silly me, why did I use 音読み on an address.
You forgot to extend the vowel sound though?
Jou isn't jo, Bro. :)

>ワロタ
nihongo.monash.edu/cgi-bin/wwwjdic?1E

It's much easier to mass accrue basic vocab with core10k due to the word order than it is to do the same with words as you come across them in mining. If however you took a bunch of mined words, say reading through an entire volume of manga then taking the words and ordering them via kanji, this would have a similar effect as the core10k (and I think the core2k6k deck) order, making it easier to pick up out of "context".

I say out of context with scare quotes because most of time you quickly forget where most words from mining from from unless you use a short sentence the word came from, of which even then becomes soon forgettable unless the sentence has some very memorable aspects to it.
For real world example, my Core10k deck mature cards are around 95% and my mined deck mature cards are around 87%. I am glad that I didn't bother adding words that were already in Core10k to my mining deck because they are so much easier to pick up as going through that deck. Those wasted "months" were really fucking nothing, looking back. I would have "wasted" more time doing something foolish like dropping Core at 2k words or not taking advantage of Core at all.

Nothing would please me more than personally selling Zoi to the Chinese.

Its basically "lel"

>M字開脚
l-lewd

hentai in general

was cringe as fuck when i didn't know japanese and now that i can understand what they're saying it's a hundred times worse

すみません

lol'd
>過去形
ワロスはLEL

got any with real japanese?

こんにちわ

かなはわかりますが かんじはめににあわないような

どうしようかな

I found it here:

> ワロタとは、「笑った」という意味のインターネット用語である。 しかし、関西では昔から「わろた」「わろうた」で「笑った」と言う意味でも使われている。

But I didn't get what's funny about it, nor why this user replied that.

are we posting lewd words now? I'll top you

恋人つなぎ

I spent 2 months going to anime conventions and dressing up like a girl every night, but now it is time to study again.

ただいま /djt/

I spent 2 months going to anime conventions and dressing up like a girl every night.
Did you perhaps go to con and dress as girl at the same time? If so, post results!

>恋人つなぎ
面白いですよね。「恋人繋ぎ」が書いてもいいですか。

What's wrong with that twitter's Japanese? Too informal for you?

やりたければやればよく、やりたくなければやらなければよい

Call it [desu senpai] subs, in recognition of the current word filters that have taken a like of their own at the moment.

I wonder what was going through ancient Japanese people's minds when they thought: "Yep, several thousand letters if what you neen to represent a couple of dozen sounds"

As opposed to several letters needed to represent thousands of different sounds?

They actually used to have hundreds of more sounds, but they stopped using them so people have to learn fewer hiragana.

Not him but it's just the same type of thing I already listen to in every anime and read in every manga. I want something that is closer to normal real people Japanese.

>but they stopped using them
Speak for yourself. I break out 豪族語 every time I drink.

That is normal people Japanese for the most part.

>Bro
Well, I've got news for you 'chap. I'm not.

気づかないままでdjtは冗談に気づかないだからさ

言葉がなんか繰り返す気が

[jamalsubs] in honor of ボク

うん、いいよ:
やりたければやればよく、やりたくなければやらなければよい

So I finally started with the Core deck. How important is it that I drill the example sentences? It's a bit overwhelming trying to learn all these phrases in one sitting.

Stop doing that.

Do what you want, learn what you want.
I rarely bother to read the example sentences so I don't care about other words I may not know, because I don't care otherwise.

>anime girls talking about erections
everyday Japanese :)

It's perverse so no normal person would say such things. If you want more normal Japanesevconversation then listen to Japanese news, radios, and read Japanese newspaper.

You weren't talking about girls and sex in high school with your friends?

>How important is it that I drill the example sentences?

not that important at all. there are a few words that you can only really understand the nuance of by seeing it used in a sentence, and you'll know which words those are when you see them.

>I rarely bother to read the example sentences
Enjoy being one of those people who can't read Yotsuba when they finish core

でも...僕は女の子と話せません。;_;

Yes user, all of Twitter is girls talking about erections.
Look about, twitter lets you click on every user account which posts something. Within three clicks and three degrees of separation you are in the middle of a conversation between Japs talking about pictures of growing carrots.

I've already read よつばと!. The DoJG deck is more useful for picking up on sentence patterns than Core ever will be. Enjoy being an insufferable presumptuous cunt regardless of how much you learn.