Apparently choosing Scarlett Johannsen to play Major Kusanagi in the upcoming Ghost in the Shell movie has gotten...

Apparently choosing Scarlett Johannsen to play Major Kusanagi in the upcoming Ghost in the Shell movie has gotten everybody up in arms.

I have seen videos on YouTube that are rants about how "evil" this is, and how it is just another example of "whitewashing." youtube.com/watch?v=RyrGOfagr18

I have seen other videos that are rants about how much the youtuber does not care that she was selected. youtube.com/watch?v=eKkp2jjOk88

Here is a video, that interviews some real Japanese people, and their basic reaction is that they don't really care one way or another, or at least that is my interpretation of what they said. youtube.com/watch?v=2DhoBuU1Dtc

I am not really enough of a movie buff, so personally I don't really care that much, but isn't Major Kusanagi supposed to be an android with a human mind transplanted in, so she really doesn't have an "ethnicity," (at least from a physical standpoint) kinda like R. Dorothy and Chi are androids and therefore don't really have an "ethnicity."

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=LRRNYzosM4Y
youtube.com/watch?v=XebG4TO_xss
youtube.com/watch?v=BDbH34XBcOA
youtube.com/watch?v=bDqEWDUU65Y
youtube.com/watch?v=5ssO0J8B1K4
youtube.com/watch?v=8mnj2mmpk2A
youtube.com/watch?v=dXzgN5GBI1s
youtube.com/watch?v=tEXurYaIHao
youtube.com/watch?v=747cvo8Lkjw
youtube.com/watch?v=w2nMN30foR8
youtube.com/watch?v=RyrGOfagr18
youtube.com/watch?v=nKw3Ft6LZ-0
twitter.com/AnonBabble

The problem with this kind of thing is that, in a country of hundreds of millions, on a planet of literally billions, you can always find dozens, hundreds or even thousands of people who complain about the same issue. It's not that meaningful.

The ethnicity of Motoko's body doesn't really matter, because over the course of her various iterations she basically wears different bodies like other people wear sets of clothing.

What does matter is that Scarlett Johannsen is a terrible actress.

Motoko Kusanagi is Asian

That's Arise retroactive canon. All the bodies Motoko had in the manga and the first movie were Japanese in contrast to the blonde, blue-eyed Caucasian bodies that the Puppet Master was in.

You do realize that the only reason this culture of hatred and complaining about everything only exists because you give them the attention they desire

Live version of Nodame Cantibile's Fran Stresemann. Just saying.

youtube.com/watch?v=LRRNYzosM4Y

It's fine

It's only not fine when a white gets turned non-white

Her canonical backstory is that she was born with a condition that forced her to grow up -- literally -- by switching from prosthetic body to prosthetic body on a regular basis. Her prosthetic bodies have all shared the same phenotype from childhood through adulthood. The appearance of her primary mil-spec bodies (she has several) share that phenotype.

Which is Japanese, since her first prosthetic body as a child was similar to her natural appearance, or what it would have been had it survived.

My issues with the casting can be summed up by this video: youtube.com/watch?v=XebG4TO_xss

Well to be fair, Hollywood has more asian actors than Japan has caucasian ones.

Isn't that a bit of a double standard?

Finally, a group of people more autistic than Sup Forums

A swing and a miss.

youtube.com/watch?v=BDbH34XBcOA

If Japan remade Dirty Harry in japan for primarily japanese audiences I would expect them to use japanese actors instead of white actors.

And I would be perfectly fine with this.

That's not the real problem.

The real problem is that they're totally going to butcher the GitS movie as a whole.

not when youre inherently racist

>white people were up-at-arms when white roles are given to non-white actors

youtube.com/watch?v=bDqEWDUU65Y

>white people have no problem with an Asian role going to a white girl

youtube.com/watch?v=5ssO0J8B1K4

WHO
THE
FUCK
CARES

Nothing to do with whitewashing:

- That nose.
- The hair looks either fake or terribly tinted.
- That fucking nose.
- The plot is going to be shit, rest assured.
- Batou has normal looking eyes.

>Japanese Superman

This

Fucking weebs. Don't watch it if you don't like it.
Bawwwwww

Were you also like this with the turd that was Dragon Ball Evolution?

Underrated post

Make it like Edge of Tomorrow and you wouldn't have people mad. Not a full on adaption but almost the same thing but just "based on" the anime. Taking something that doesn't need an adaption straight up and making it live action is fucking dumb anyways.

nigga unless the characters race is important to the story who cares, its not like its DiCaprio playing kunta kinte

I don't understand why everyone latches on to the pointless identity politics and just ignores the fact they will butcher everything else.

Mundane Cuck also loves the confederate flag, so go figure.

Yes. I neither watched it, nor got angry that it existed.

Having one black guy who does commercials isn't equal to having a certain number number of asian actors.

>She's white yo. Most of the characters in anime are white. They're as white as can be.

What did he mean by this?

It's not the weebs.

It's the fucking SJWeebs.

He keeps missing!

youtube.com/watch?v=8mnj2mmpk2A

like every GITS related thing is completely different. like, the original movie is amazing, then we get a mediocre tv series and a shitty sequel film. now we've got an amazing new alternate universe series too.

a hollywood film can easily just create its own timeline and it's ok as long as it deals with the same subject material. it's not supposed to be a re-adaptation of any previous film or show, but a new story.

Having one tokuatsu actor isn't equal to having a lot of people of asian descent in your country.
I can keep doing this all night because I'm pretty lonely

I doesn't really matters, this "Dumblr" generation likes to complain about stupid shit like ethnicity and generes. For example Japan doesn't care or complain about whitewashing.

What we should be concerned about is how they adapt the story, how much budget goes into effect so it doesn't looks like a B movie and how they deal with character interaction, the rest is just complementary.

Let me say this now. The whitewashing thing is a separate issue that won't matter to a film if it's good but will be blamed on if it's bad. For every The Last Airbender there's a The Last Samurai.

The real problem with Ghost in the Shell is that it's a pile of shit just happened to be painted white to hide that it's shit.

who cares , the movie will suck most likely but it might bring more attn to the rest of the franchise

>caring about hollywood 3DPD adaptations of anime
I hope this movie will bomb so hollywood focuses on making 30 warcraft sequels for China

You sound very angry at this thread though.

Why are whites more offended than the Japanese?

youtube.com/watch?v=dXzgN5GBI1s

Yeah its pretty fucking dumb but I'm glad they made this choice
It'll be one of the many reasons this film flops and then hopefully no one will ever have to see Hollywood butcher one of their favorite anime ever again
or at least for another decade

ITT: Gamergate thread.

THICK
H
I
C
K

This is the worse thing to come from this, all of the Sup Forumsermin are going to feel emboldened to make shit threads crying about tumblr nonstop

>white people getting upset on behalf of another race (who don't even care)

I will never understand this. Id be more worried that this is becoming another DB Evolution desu

Tumbler told them to be upset, also to request more niggas and fat women, they need to be more inclusive!

I want to it to do well
Every anime adaption that does well is one step closer to Michael Bay's Evangelion.

There are Asian Americans who are rightfully getting upset about this. Its pretty fucked how many roles that are literally made for them are snatched away with the circular reasoning that they don't have the star power to draw an audience.

Then again, this is probably going to be a stinker and would ruin the career of anyone with less fame than ScarJo

>Every anime adaption that does well is one step closer to Michael Bay's Evangelion.

What manner of evil are you to want such a thing

youtube.com/watch?v=tEXurYaIHao

I HOPE THIS TIME, THERE'S A LESBIAN ORGY.

>Bed-hair equals Goku

He looks just like him!

>that nose

I remember when I was walking home from high school one day I saw a man literally smashing DVD copies of this movie with a hammer on his porch, it was half amusing/half scary.

Was it really THAT bad?

get this 3D shit off my board

Japanese people don't care because it isn't their struggle. They aren't living in a country where they're a minority and have to fight for representation.

Whitewashing GitS is fucking appalling and I'm glad the film is going to be garbage.

>Michael Bay's Evangelion

>Eva01 fighting an angel
>explosions everywhere
>camera pans from side to side

>Shinji getting emotional on his bed

>Asuka getting emotional on that bathtub

>Rei going up the endless escalator

youtube.com/watch?v=747cvo8Lkjw

Was he right?

If you don't support it then don't go and watch it - simple.

If you do go and pay, you're simply part of the problem and have no right to complain.

Japanese don't even care.

Only weebs are mad

>the only Japanese people is all the minor characters
>Rei is white (now called Raye)
>Asuka is black

Of course the Japanese don't care, like another user said it's not their battle.

I know plenty of Japanese Americans who are irked by this though and are planning on not seeing the movie primarily because this.

Where was the outrage on the Attack on Titan movie?

youtube.com/watch?v=w2nMN30foR8

>I'm glad the film is going to be garbage.

You're from the future? Shitlord?

People cried about Edge of Tomorrow and that movie was good.

>Steven Iglesias is a college student who must save America from the evil Angels with the help of his dad Professor Gene Iglesias, local college cheerleader Ray Ambers, and his best friend Arnold Smith. Featuring Megan Fox as Megan Kitty.

Still better cinematography than the finale

>I know plenty of Japanese Americans who are irked by this though

No you don't you weeb fuck. No one cares if you don't see the movie.

>whitewashing
She's a fucking kike.

People did? I was hyped for it.

look at the staff who are producing it

>I have seen videos on YouTube that are rants about how "evil" this is, and how it is just another example of "whitewashing." youtube.com/watch?v=RyrGOfagr18
>mari figure in the background
this nigger should kill himself and his opinions along with it
they cast johanson cause she'll bring more attention to the film no other reason
or "muh whitewashing"
i may not agree with it but whatever it was going to be shit anyways

Tom Cruise therefore hate

I don't really care if you don't believe me, just letting you know its not just white people on the internet who give a shit about this. (protip: I'm not even white)

Hell you could probably learn this from a simple google search but that'd probably shake your world view too much.

>People bitching they casted a white woman to play an anime robot with no race
>People don't just realize that maybe there weren't any Asian American actresses who fit the bill
What a time to be alive.

>ethnic jew
>white

Rupert Sanders
>Snow White and the Huntsman (2012)
>How to Destroy Angels: The Space in Between (2010)
Jonathan Herman
>Straight Outta Compton (2015)
Jamie Moss
>Street Kings (2008)
shaping up to be real great

Yeah and its written by the man who did Straight Outta Compton which was fantastic.

Is this only going to happen more and more until the movie comes out?
I want Sup Forums and Sup Forums off my board

I'd still tap that though..

Another one bites the bait

But anime is composed of white people.

Who actually wants this movie?

The fans don't want it, the movie-going public don't want it. Who asked for this? Who the fuck cares?

This is going to be an abomination.

>white men cheer and clap in public when a black actor plays white characters
>secretly butthurt about them
>takes it out on asians by whitewashing asian characters

This whole situation summed up

>>People bitching they casted a white woman to play an anime robot with no race
>I've never watched the series but I'll give my opinion anyway

>Choose asian actress
>No one but asians go see the movie
>Movie fails financially

What are they supposed to do?

I wonder if it'll get renamed twice like Edge of Tomorrow did so they can trick more people into watching it

>Image from last year after her pregnancy

Stupid

Its the cuckolding cycle
black > white > asian

Yeah who green-lit this?
Some rich fan? Kanye?

Please post the other image where they picked a proper asian that looks like Yui more than the caucasian.

I watched the first movie and she had a robotic body you invalid.
Obviously the race of her fucking brain is Japanese but that doesn't mean shit. Do you want them to put someone else's brain in a white woman's head just for this fucking movie?

>The fans don't want it,

Says who? Some weebs on the internet?

>white men cheer and clap in public when a black actor plays white characters

youtube.com/watch?v=nKw3Ft6LZ-0

Weebs on the internet are the fans of GitS

Weebs on the Internet are the only fans of gits

Pretty sure those weebs comprise most of the western fanbase, so yes

Trick people?

Its 90% on rotten tomatoes and it was a fantastic movie.

Why don't you shitpost some more though

And the ones crying are a minority

Her body was based off of her original which was ethnically Japanese, you're blatantly incorrect if you say she has no race.

I have yet to meet a single fan of the series who wants this movie