For all my fellow shut-ins out there, do you prefer shut-in-escapes-basement plots or do you avoid them completely?

For all my fellow shut-ins out there, do you prefer shut-in-escapes-basement plots or do you avoid them completely?

Things like NHK/Watamote, and the shows where the NEET gets teleported into fantasy realms and stuff.

I prefer the one where MC gets himself together and stopped being a shut-in.

I love the high school stuff

I'm not a shut in but I like the ones where the mc gets teleported because I like watching him grow as a person. Though sadly there are very few of those type of stories.

I prefer cgdct

I like the one where the mc isn't a useless member of society and actually leaves his house

I like to watch Pokemon

Y-yeah...

> wanting romanticized high school
Unless it was a pleasant time for you personally I can't understand this

Being a teenager was dreadful

Self-destructive emo shit MC who does nothing with his life beside overthinking and fucked up everything up

shut-in who is a great philosopher

I like them if they make me laugh. Though I do find it easy to laugh at cringe and I am sane enough to be capable of not self-inserting into the NEET characters all the time.
What I don't like is when the characters are NEETs as a clearly pandering technique and have complete personality shifts after suddenly being transported into that world where they are somehow social elites e.g. No Game No Life.

>What I don't like is when the characters are NEETs as a clearly pandering technique and have complete personality shifts after suddenly being transported into that world where they are somehow social elites e.g. No Game No Life.

It's just you being jealous.

Maybe so but it's jarring to see characters introduced as loser NEETs and suddenly losing all their insecurities in a matter of seconds.

I've been a shut-in/NEET for less than a month, so I probably don't classify as one, but right now I couldn't stomach this kind of shows. After almost attempting suicide twice in the last month or so, I don't want to see anything that will hit too close to home.

I'm a shut in. It sucks being deaf.

I'd say I have a dislike for those because mostly it feels like it's begging for a self insert where either the MC gets worse or gets better through some escapism plot.

How deaf are you?
Can you even watch anime?

He said he's deaf, not blind. Are you brain dead?

I can hear if I put in earphones and set to highest. I still prefer subs because I read subs on everything even outside of anime.

>Can you even watch anime?
He's deaf, not blind.

NEETs =/= Loser
and they consider Disboard as a game which isn't the real world. They are insecure in real life not inside video games. If you're smart enough, you will understand.

Self inserting is optional. Maybe you could just enjoy the production values instead? I dunno.

Yeah, it's more of a general dislike. If an anime is good, I'll try to like it without any bias.

Not him but I enjoy romanticized high school because I fantasize about going back to that time and doing things right.

>Unless it was a pleasant time
Yeah, for that reason

Mostly shit. I don't want to be preached to, and I think I'd be saying this even if I weren't in the group it's preaching at directly. Series that lean too much on social messages/commentary leave me dry in general - if I wanted a PSA I'd be reading a pamphlet, not a piece of fiction.

This.

You're not wrong but it's still bullshit since living in Disboard seemed very similar to real-life barring the magical element. There is practically no reason why Sora couldn't be as confident as he is in-game in real life other than him somehow deciding to be a hikki NEET.

I guess I didn't like the power fantasy of an intelligent, nihilistic and wickedly humourous character and couldn't self-insert even subconsciously. I would prefer the NEET to be represented realistically if they were going to pander anyway.

I like shows like NHK and Watamote where the characters are losers and act like losers, but I don't get the same connection with the fantasy realm shit because the NEETs don't act like NEETs.

I prefer to watch nice SoL so it feels like I have friends.

I like when characters are shut-ins and it is treated like a perfectly fine aspect of their personality and something that they don't have to change or grow out of.

well it was very pleasant and life was great. I want to go back there so fucking much it hurts. things were so fucking easy and none of it mattered.

I only watch SoL or comedies with the odd mecha show.

I can't watch either type. The shut-in shows like NHK hits too close to home while the fantasy stuff like Overlord or Shieldbro Isekai shit just doesn't appeal to me.
I can't self-insert so those shows do nothing for me.

I prefer romantic comedies, so I can escape from the reality that I am literally terrified of being in a committed relationship, and fill the gaping hole in my heart that it creates

I like what the Watamote manga is doing where Tomoko is gradually improving but it's a slow process and she really doesn't have any true "friends" but does at least have people she can associate with. It's a gradual build and something I'd like to strive for someday, so it's the most realistic interpretation imho

Retarded Hikki here, I like SOL, pretty much every kind, even some romcoms, I hate the NEETs gets teleported to shit fantasy, this genre needs to fucking die forever.

I don't like stories about shut ins. I prefer stories about young adults pursuing their dreams and aspirations (Space Bros, Hyougemono)