Why is this not as well liked as other KyoAni anime...

Why is this not as well liked as other KyoAni anime? I held off watching it for a while because of how indifferent everyone is about it, but now that I gave it a chance it's fucking great.
I'd put it in the top 3 KyoAni series I've ever watched. I'd say it's just as good as K-On for sure.
Are people just pissed off by SOL with hetero undertones? What's the deal?

Its not as simple and easy to follow as Love Story, and many people have said they didn't like Dera (though I loved him). It doesn't handhold you through a basic plot or anything. The main focus is heartwarming character interactions to show you the warm side of humanity, and I suppose that isn't enough substance for most people.

Its one of my favorite anime, easily.

I only like romance when the male character is the protagonist, otherwise it's gay.

it's like k-on, but k-on was carried by the character dynamics of after school tea time and the characters here... just aren't interesting. also didn't like the male characters when k-on was pretty much all girls except for rare, brief scenes

It was really quite bad. Thankfully Love Story came along saving it from leaving an entirely awful taste in my mouth.

Ton-chan was a male

It was pretty boring. Stopped at ep 3

But why is it bad? All the criticism I've seen of it is that unsubstantiated, just "it's bad" or "it's boring.
It's SOL done well, and it's not supposed to have a super gripping storyline.

To me I didn't like any of the characters, not even the MC attracted me. The bird was annoying. The whole setting was not very interesting.

I'm with you brother

Although that fucking bird did get irritating

But it was an enjoyable comfy show..

Love story took it to a whole 'nother level though - beautiful

The SoL was meh
The comedy was meh
The romance was meh
The characters were meh

It was just mediocre overall and didn't have anything going for it

Tamako is a miracle of the universe you cock loving faggot

>But why is it bad?

Literally copypastaing my post from a thread when the series ended. I'd link you to the actual thread, but the archive is deader than Tamako's mom.

>Incredible let down. I don't hate it, but deleted the entire thing because keeping it around was a reminder of how much it disappointed me.
>Yes, Dera was a pain at times. Yes, the Prince shit was ultimately stupid. Yes, Choi's existence still fucking baffles me. But what annoys me most of all was all was that they had much better sub plots they did nothing with. I don't mind the fact that the relationships presented ultimately went nowhere, but they could have done more with them if they focused on them more. And why did the show forget about Shiori so much. Seriously, what the hell happened there. How the hell did meeting Tamako entirely cure her of her social anxiety. It's like she never even had it by the next episode. And Christ, the shit about the mom and the song. The near freakout Tamako had in the last episode was one of the most interesting scenes in the show. They could have spent an entire episode on how much her mother's death affected her and the shopping arcade, in the process giving her more of a character. And the climax to the search for the song in episode 9 (while also pretty underwhelming at the end) could have very well made for a good to the entire fucking series. At least a better climax than what we got. Jesus fuck why is Dera still afuckinground.

As you can see, and like I said earlier, the movie resolved most of the issues I had with the show. Seriously, thank goodness for it.

that.
annoying.
gay.
bird.

Sounds like you didn't like how realistic it was.

It's fucking SOL comedy dude. Since when are they about having consistent and reliable storylines? If you went into it expecting any sort of real story or resolution then yeah, you're going to be sorely disappointed.
Although, I'm not sure how you can make it through the whole fucking series with the expectation that it's somehow going to turn into something with a legitimate plot, because that's clearly not what they were going for.

The point is that they threw a bunch of potentially interesting plotlines but never committed with any of them and it just ended up as mediocre, unfocused mess

Yeah, okay m80.

The hell are you taking me for? Some sort of SOL newbie? Or maybe you're simply one of those "it's anime! don't take it seriously!" sorts.
Well expecting an anime to present a good story isn't taking it too seriously.

Wasn't that the point? I thought it was clear that they intentionally set up multiple storylines that were self contained and often contradictory as part of the comedy. Dera is the definition of an unreliable narrator, so it seemed very obvious and intentional to me. But I guess some people thought it was going to take itself seriously at some point. I don't know what you expected, but I guess it's not your thing.

What makes Market a masterpiece is that every single character feels like they have their own lives without directly focusing onto them, and like real life, they aren't going to monologue or flashback their entire life story to you. It gives you a feeling of, "Wow! This person is interesting! I'd sure like to talk to them!"
The theme is the journey, not the end goal. Getting to know somebody and interact with them is fun, and you will never know all the life stories with everyone you interact with.

Because it's only slightly brain dead compared to the shit they usually make

I don't care if you've watched anime for 10 minutes or 10 years, that's not exactly something that bothers me. And the interpretation really isn't black and white. Yeah, some anime are clearly not meant to be taken seriously, but this one is in more of a gray area than most, especially since it's very Japanese, so to say. The humor delivery is very dry and easily lost on some people, so different strokes for different folks I guess. I never thought that it was intended to be serious ever, but if you went into it with a different mindset then you can come out with a completely different impression.

Sorry, but you make it sound like my way of approaching the show, or any SOL comedy (which mind you, I wouldn't even describe Tamako Market as. Not because it wasn't funny, but because it was much more serious and introspective than something like Azumanga or even K-ON) was on the green side. It has nothing to to with that. I just think you're wrong. Plenty of SOL, including the ones I previously mentioned, come to a resolution. In fact, they usually do so pretty easily, since more often than not they're much simpler than Tamako, which had so much going on.

But more importantly, I'm wondering if you read my initial post right. It wasn't just the lack of resolution that bothered me (in fact, I specifically said that it didn't, concerning the romance), but the show's lack of focus, apparent forgetfulness, and at times just plain old bad characterization.
And also, it's pretty annoying when you see a show with underlying potential that goes unfulfilled. Honestly, it kind of reminds me of NieA_7, which I ended up kind of not liking for the same reasons. Granted, I think I'd still recommend it over Tamako Market.

Also, I was actually living in Japan while this show aired. If you're implying that the Japanese-ness of the show was offputting.

Butthurt /u/fags.

Market was great but needed like 30 more episodes to actually realize that potential. Love Story is brilliant, one of my favourite films in general, anime or otherwise.

Assemble Kannafag

>more episodes
This. Season 2 when?

It's the fucking bird. I tried to like the show, I really did, but the goddamn bird was so fucking annoying, I literally couldn't stand it.
>mfw