Catcher in the Rye

Enlighten me Sup Forums

Why has this book been banned in so many school systems. I read it a few years back and get that it's dark, but enough to be banned?

Other urls found in this thread:

allthingscrimeblog.com/2014/12/10/killers-and-the-catcher-in-the-rye-4/
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Cuz it says damn and hell a bunch and fuck a couple times. Thats pretty much it. Otherwise your typical teenage angst blog novel

Incredibly written
-shouldn't be banned--this isn't Name of the Rose
-but you can see how that book may have helped form more than one killer

LMAO!

Banned!!!!! It's required reading!

The books that are actually censored and banned you never hear about. (Soft censorship)

That's the joke.

I would stop asking so many questions If I were you, user.

Moralfags

Because the book is an Army PsiOp and Holden is a trigger for assassins.

It's banned in a lot of schools.

>Name of the Rose
I've seen this film adaptation only - what's wrong with the book?

Yeah, there was something about it
-it might make you feel alienated from everyone

Absolutely nothing; I meant the librarians were censoring dangerous books

Because Mark Chapman.

Great book. Probably holds the record for the most amount of goddamn's written in a book

It also inadvertently killed john lennon

based

It's garbage. It deserves to be banned.

Never heard of Catcher being banned in schools, though books like To Kill a Mockingbird and Huckleberry Finn have because the word nigger is used in them. Christfags banned Harry Potter in a few states a while back.

I don't get why people say it's banned we read it in English class freshman year. It was shit and I enjoyed reading Hemingway so much more.

I read it in junior high and thought it was a complete waste of time

I've read it in my kid years and I don't remember anything exceptional about it, but maybe I was too stupid back then.
Didn't hippies love the book?
I don't see why it should be taboo anyway IIRC it was just about some rebelling teen.

I'd ban it on its quality alone

>Didn't hippies love the book?

they only liked it because it was controversial and being edgy is sheltered middle class whites do as a way of protest. I'm only pissed because they hyped me on the book and it ended up being pretty boring.

This book was banned for the same reason it's shoved down everybody's throats nowadays. It's actually an awful book and should be banned just for not being any good.

Basically this

My secondary school wouldn't let me read Heart of Darkness for some reason.

It was banned pretty extensively not long after its release because of the curse words but I haven't heard of it being banned in schools since decades ago.

Adolf Hitler was JD Salinger which is why he was rarely ever seen.
The images you see of him are a model/actor that he paid to ghost-persona 'JD Salinger'.

Look up his reclusiveness and near total disappearance at times.

Yeah that makes sense, I don't remember it for being hippie-like except maybe for the general "riot against the system" theme so I was surprised to read that it was a book loved by hippies a couple years after

I think back in the day it was banned because it covers topics that weren't discussed in the classroom. As I recall the protagonist drinks despite being underage, swears often, and calls a prostitute, though he's literally /r9k/ so he pussies out when she actually gets there. That's probably grounds for a banning in more puritanical circles.

Fun book, but I can't imagine it's banned in any schools these days.

it was banned in the 50's

Good, it's cuck as shit

> A book about a literal cuckold
It's shit OP.

Wish I went to school in the 50's.

The main character is a fucking cuck. He paid a prostitute, backed down from actually having the sex, and the prostitue's boss came in and made the little bitch pay extra because he's a fucking faggot. I'm glad this book is banned, it's awful

It was a long trip. Literally, the fucking constant boat trip was killing me. I almost didn't finish it.

That's sort of the trick though, I always read the book as a deep critique of teenage rebellion and hippie culture in general. Holden Caufield is a fucking loser and his petty attempts to give a middle finger to the system are constantly frustrated by his cowardice and lack of direction. He just has a nebulous idea of "Fuck phonies man" but has no actual agenda to act upon that impulse. He's just directionless, teenage rage and the book makes it very clear you're supposed to laugh at/pity him for trying so hard to rebel but failing so spectacularly. In the end he's even redeemed by embracing a part of his traditional family life that he still feels some attachment to, that being his sister.

I really identify with holdens sense of alienation and abandonment. I think most young men will understand some of what he feels. That's the problem with being an individual. Sometimes you find yourself all alone.

see alright some of you guys paid attention, I wasn't so optimistic about him redeeming himself with his sister though, it looked to me like he had some fantasy about saving and protecting them at the end of the book and he realizes he can't even do that

That's an interesting perspective fampai, almost makes me want to read the book again

I had the same problem but my grades were shit so I had to finish it to get my scores up. Nothing compares to having to read Night though, biggest load of bullshit I've read in my life.

I liked it in the way it made me feel better about myself, how I'm not as much as a failure as Holden.

Christ, I'm sorry to hear you read through that shitfest.

portrait of the young man as an artist is a better version of catcher in the rye

I have a feeling it was left like that on purpose. Even if he can't really protect his sister it's better than what he was doing before that, IE: flunking out of every expensive private school, wasting his father's money, and failing to sleep with the prostitutes he's ordered. The book ends with Caufield finally finding some direction in his life, some purpose. As much as he is a loser I have to agree with somewhat, young men tend to feel the way he feels at the beginning of the book more than we like to admit. We feel alienated by a system that we don't completely fit into or understand, and we resent it for not living up to our specific ideals, but eventually we find something that gives us purpose and stop working against the system/ourselves.

It's amusing how the US kids are forced to eat up jewish propaganda while polish education system doesn't give a fuck despite it happened on our land

‘fuck’

It should be banned for being awful.

Yeah, it was almost like reading a parody with outrageous it was.

We were also forced to read Anne Franks diary in 6th grade. In high school we had to read Maus, Night, Schindler's List. I had to do a report in history class on Life is Beautiful. It really is crazy how much holocaust shit is shoved down our throats looking back.

There's a bit in the Yiddish version about the Jewish men sneaking out at night to rape German women, that was mysteriously cut from the English version.

Pic unrelated is my captcha.

Considering the time your average teenager is willing to spend on reading it sounds like there's little opportunity to read anything else besides holocaust bullshit

That does not surprise me, I'll always remember the baby part because it just never made sense to me that nazis would be that barbaric for absolutely no reason despite being extremely civilized in every other regard.

>"Babies were thrown into the air and the machine gunners used them as targets. This was in the forest of Galicia, near Kolomaye"

They put you through that much holocaust shit? I must've been lucky, we had to read Of Mice & Men, Holes, A View from the Bridge.

Makes me respect the young Americans who don't buy into that propaganda when they've finished their education.

And its required reading in a lot of schools, my old high school included.

I had I for English class in year 11 back in 1984.
At a catholic school. All I remember about it is that it was boring and the hippy bitch teacher thought it was hot shit.
Didn't make me want to fuck Jodie Foster at all.

Is this really banned? Remembered having to read it in high school. Damn good book. Real shame if it's banned. I know it swears but shit even 8 year olds swear nowadays

>They put you through that much holocaust shit?

Oh yeah man, American history in my school spent a lot of time on WWII (mostly painting the nazis as mindless killing machines with no drive other than killing jews), we learned absolutely nothing on the rise of the Nazis or what the Nazis actually believed, We learned jack shit about WWI or the Weimar republic. They also did the same thing with the Confederates/civil war. Confederate were mindless nigger hating robots who had nothing but evil intentions and they completely skipped over reconstruction era America. It's insane how much I learned after I graduated.

Because he calls out normies too much
"Phonies"

history class is mostly WW2/holocaust class

I learned about the hollyhoax pretty much every semester in HS

That's a good point, I had always assumed he was just being pathetic and that he would never dig himself out, but maybe you're right and it was just the kick in the ass that he needed. I hadn't even thought that way the book ends we would never know how he turns out.

(((they))) used to ban books to make them more enticing to young audiences. forbidden fruit effect.

it's a shit-tier book...boring as it is short. promotes sartrean nihilistic philosophy.

Yep, had to read through it Freshman Year. Had the worst god damn English teacher in the school. She was a leftist cunt who always made us read books like this, was always screaming at us, always treated the girls kindly and the boys harshly, made us read countless poems about "racism," and gave us terrible grades no matter what. Still manged to pass the class with a B so I shouldn't complain but reading this fucking book with her was a nightmare. Sorry for the rant but I really hate this fucking book.

the pArt where holden describes he want to be the catcher in the rye.....is about the imperfection of man desireing perfection and moral good. it mirrors god wanting none to perish and salvation from suffering. i feel that part was really quite something

Sounds horrible, in History class I was lucky to learn about Surgery, Medicine, Russia (Interwar) and Germany (Interwar).

It has been linked to every serial killer ever captured in the world ever.

Source?

This. It will commence again!

Source... it's an urban legend, must be true. Seriously, you've never heard that?

Quick google search yields this
allthingscrimeblog.com/2014/12/10/killers-and-the-catcher-in-the-rye-4/

>Catcher in the rye is fucking communism
Lol

Mark David Chapman was the only one I knew of

How is Heart of Darkness cuck? The guy they're going to retrieve is the best guy at getting the ivory because he allowed himself to sink to the level of the African but he realizes that because of this he can no longer re-join civilization. Almost a literary "once you go black you can't go back" If this guy was celebrated it would be cuck, but his behaviour is betrayed as a dark cautionary tale instead

BECAUSE THE AUTHOR KILLED THE ROLLING STONES

Because it contains something in it that sets off MKULTRA victims and nobody is sure what exactly is in it that does that. So they banned the whole book.

It says fuck once which is apparently too much for teenagers who have been saying fuck since they were 10 and are most likely literally fucking (or should be if they aren't total losers in high school)

Wasn't there something about the guy who tried to kill John Lennon was inspired by Catcher in the Rye? I remember South Park made a joke about that, but I'm not too sure.

In the book golden is in a rye field stopping a bunch of kids from running off a cliff. Catching them. Saving them. Protecting their innocence type stuff. Chapman was literally crazy and wanting to get famous by "protecting" Lennon from becoming a sellout or making shitty music as he got older. Therefore protecting his innocence. Killing him at the height of his career was probably a good thing for the Beatles

>Golden is
>Holden is

excellent.

it is, it teaches you to identify with a complete failure while calling everybody else a phony