What's the most pretentious anime?

What's the most pretentious anime?

Other urls found in this thread:

scottbarrykaufman.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Perspectives-on-Psychological-Science-2016-Macnamara-333-50.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

You probably wouldn't know about it

>tatami galaxy is pretentious
>the main character talks to his fucking penis

Watch the show before you try to accuse it of even acting smart.

What? Tatami somple message was to stop fucking wishing for anime life and being a pretentious prick, instead appreciate the present. If you looked around, is quite nice.

Or did you get offended? I bet you love Re:Zero or other self insert series.

Obligatory

>eva

Re:Zero is the worst anime of the season.

Idiot

Fuck you, if reddit or MAL didnt love it a gobble it up, Sup Forums would be all over it like obscure Overlord.

Ping Pong.

Clearly you didn't get the reference, he wasn't talking to his penis, he was talking to a cowboy that represented the Cuban missile crisis and how US involvement caused issues for the people of japan twenty years down the road.

Kaiba probably.

Probably Angel's Egg.
Not even the creator knew what it was about.

Talent>Hard work
Hard work might not reward you in the end, but at least you know you gave it your all, with no regrets.

Sup Forums is getting way too retarded if they can´t get things like this.

Kemonozume

>ping pong
>pretentious
This meme needs to stop.

Nah, that one's pretty straighforward.

Is this another one of those "is it just me or did anyone else not understand why others like it" thread? Because the pattern is there.

This is a pretentious anime. Monogatari is a much better anime.

Fate s/n, Fate UBW and HxH.

Yuyushiki

Hyouka

Haremonogatari

Actually accurate.

yes

>being pretentious about anime
you're watching literally the lowest common denominator in the arts and you're being pretentious about it

>Talent>Hard work
this is some r9k mentality senpai

>lowest common denominator in the arts
That would be rap/hip hop "music."
This is a pretentious anime. Subete ga F ni Naru is a much better anime.

Do you feel stupid for not getting it? I´m honestly curious on how you feel.

Actually inaccurate.

>implying it's not true

>Talent>Hard work
Not necessarily.
You need to have talent, but if you don't take shit seriously, someone who works hard enough can beat you.
Also, aside from Akuma, that wasn't really a big part of the anime.
It was about Smile trying to get Peko to start taking the game seriously so he can start having fun with it again.

Subete ga F ni naru.

A Certain Magical Index

>That would be rap/hip hop "music."
you know this site is 18+ right?

Keit-Ai desu senpai

To elaborate

Talent+Hardwork>Hardwork>Talent
It shows all the three different category through the eyes of the cast.

You are cancer for visit that retarded board mate.

scottbarrykaufman.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Perspectives-on-Psychological-Science-2016-Macnamara-333-50.pdf
>Most important, deliberate practice accounted for only 1% of the variance in performance among elite-level performers. This finding is inconsistent with the claim that deliberate practice accounts for performance differences even among elite performers. Another major finding was that athletes who reached a high level of skill did not begin their sport earlier in childhood than lower skill athletes. This finding challenges the notion that higher skill performers tend to start in a sport at a younger age than lower skill performers
Ping Pong's message that talent > hard work has been scientifically proven. It's still a pretentious anime, though.

The Pet Girl of Sakurasou

more like mushishit

It was about a lot of things.

Kazama and Wange had just as much focus as Smile and Peco.

is this a mem?

>implying I'd ever want to visit that shit hole
this is why you will always be losers, if you shoot yourself in the foot to begin with

Joshiraku

I'd say Texhnolyze, but it actually had the chops to pull off the moody philosophy lecture style. Maybe Ergo Proxy? It wasn't bad either, though.

Kokoro Connect

How was PP pretentious? Don´t say the art, it was taking after the manga.

Did you actually watch Subete? It was cringe-inducingly pretentious.

No, it was actually pretty mediocre. It had a lot of Deep Important Things to say, but said them inarticulately and once it said them, they turned out not to be as interesting as hoped for.

anything that Sup Forums likes is pretentious.

I am the guy with talent. I have seen hard workers get rewarded, but I get the same result without the same effort and beyond if I do put in the effort.

Except K-ON

It was basically just a locked room murder mystery. You're overthinking it, and it makes you sound like idiots.

This is the correct answer.

So, you didn't actually watch it. I'm specifically referring to all the pretentious shit that kept spewing out of the MC's mouth.

I watched it three weeks ago. The MC isn't pretentious, he's a nihilist. Sure, it makes him edgy, but you're misunderstanding the term you're using here.

I take that back, actually, he's more of an absurdist than a nihilist.

>The MC isn't pretentious
Maybe, but the anime is pretentious for having the MC say all that shit for reasons completely unconnected to the plot. The anime's just trying to look smart.

Lain is incredibly pretentious.

Yeah, absurdist is more fitting.

Nearly every animated short film is unbearably pretentious. Why can't people just make nice, easy things instead of obfuscated nonsense?
If we're talking series which attract the most pretentious viewers, then it's 100% gotta be Lain.

Monogatari.

Madoka Magica is pretty pretentious and dumb as hell

NGE is also pretentious since with its 2deep4u convoluted "shat on a piece of paper and gave it to the editor" plot

Deconstructions tend to be really pretentious since they usually try to be above the genres they're deconstructing, but come off 2deep4u superiority complex

On the other hand, its mystery actually is smart, so who gives a fuck?

Evangelion might be just as bad in that sense

I'm a huge eva fan btw just calling it how I see it

You're retarded.

Eva is pretentious, even though I love it.
>obfuscated
This post is pretentious.

You don't have to pretend to be smart user. On the internet, no one cares that you have an IQ of 80.

heres your reply

Actual, serious answer: Kiznaiver. Presents "empathy is good and people can be friends without literally sharing pain" as some grand revelation. Combine with flat characters (despite being a character drama) and you have the biggest disappointment of the season (while Trigger's other show this season is unironically among the best).

What Pretentious means:

Pretending to have greater depth and meaning than actually exists.

What it doesn't mean:

Edgy
Wordy
Boring
Slow
That thing I don't like

Please adjust your suggestions accordingly

Lain.
Ergo Proxy.
Tehxolyze.
Every Monogatari from Shaft.
Punpun, if you want manga too.

Boogeysomething Phantom.
Higurashi.
To Aru Majutsu no Index and the ramifications.

Neither Monogatari nor Higurashi are pretentious

Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei

I got overboard with Higurashi, but damn Monogatari if isn't pretentious with those swift-flashing screens with WORDS and WORDS everywhere forming WORDS AND WORDS WORDS WORDS
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

I don't think so, Evangelion is too widely popular. Heck, I'd say disliking the show is almost more pretentious than liking it.

Do you just not know about words?

Wordy is not pretentious

You numbskulls raped that word to death. If all the criticism you can offer is attaching pretentious to it you should just fuck off back to the womb for a fresh start. It's just a buzzword these days. You can count in one finger the number of times it's used correctly in a giving month. You'd have to know a lot about how it's perceived and the original intent before ever using the term, something most people here don't have a clue about.

Kiznaiver

please just stop posting

Just because you're a dumb nigger faggot doesn't mean it's pretentious. Go watch Michael bay queer.

Literal storytelling and ambiguous storytelling are simply different schools with different approaches to the art.

Some storytellers like to present their audience with story they can take at face value, and then use that stability to draw the audience in. It can turn out well (see most highly respected and well-known anime; is Nausicaa a reasonably uncontroversial example?) or terribly (Sword Art Online, say).

Others prefer to work more abstractly, using the narrative to evoke emotions and ideas with less of a focus on the literal mechanics of the plot. It worked for Utena, and if you didn't like that, there's Evangelion and Haibane Renmei. But these types of stories can just as easily become incomprehensible nonsense (Evangelion, again, along with various others mentioned here.)

Generally, the more abstract kind of storytelling is the one that attracts the description of "pretentious", and it's the hardest for anyone to agree on. Most people will get a comparable experience out of a literalist story like Kiki's Delivery Service, but everyone gets something different out of Lain, for better or worse.

The first Transformers movie is better than every mecha anime ever made except Evangelion.

I DON'T GET IT, user
WHAT IT WAS MEANT TO BE~I'M REACHING INSANITY

This.

There's nothing wrong with realizing that talented people are better than those with no talent who just work hard. That's not saying that you can't still be respectable on hard work alone or that there's no point in trying, it's just a hard fact

kek

My philosophy of art doesn't allow for it to literally be pretentious so I just use the word as a substitute for heavy-handed philosophical works which I personally dislike, don't think too much of it.

triggered nigger detected and/or middle class suburban white kid

This anime was not that pretentious.

Anything written by Kouji Kumeta
Anything written by Kinoko Nasu
Anything written by Gen Urobuchi
Anything written by Mari Okada
Anything written by Romeo Tanaka
Anything by Shaft
Anything with character designs by Yoshitoshi ABe
Anything directed by Kunihiko Ikuhara
Anything directed by Hideaki Anno
Anything directed by Mamoru Oshii
Anything directed by Makoto Shinkai
Anything by Ghibli
Anything with a cyberpunk setting
Anything described as "iyashikei"

Trawling with a wide net, I see.

Accurate.

Samefag.

Neo-Sup Forums everybody.

More like Neo-Sup Forums, this shit has surpassed the level of sadness.