Why is sports anime so underappreciated and always done wrong 90% of the time?

Why is sports anime so underappreciated and always done wrong 90% of the time?

least give us an example of wtf you talking about

maybe because its done wrong 90% of the time?

ok

>always [] 90% of the time
I hate this meme.
Fuck off.

>always
>90% of the time

Anime was a mistake. Elevens should have found a better way to advertise manga.

>has good characters that you can cheer on
>technical jargon of the sport ruins character focus
>90% of people that watch these anime already have a background in the sport
>pedantic usage of technical jargon to try to hook the uninitiated in
>just want to watch cool characters play sports ball
90% of sports anime suffer from the "throwing the net too far" syndrome when it could just pander directly to the sportsfags they are trying to get to watch.

% of people that watch these anime already have a background in the sport
Do you have any evidence for that other than that most children play sports for fun sometimes?

Ping Pong. If you discount Africa, at least 90% of the world's population has played table ball at some point. Look how popular it was with 90% of Sup Forums.

That's what I thought. You made an empty statement.

You can only believe 90% of what you read on Sup Forums, user.

I can believe everything. Fuck you with your words of wisdom.
I bet you even look both directions before you cross the road. Fucking faggot.

If you only look one way, that's 50%!
If you look both ways, that's 90%!

As a genre it's fine. Yes it has some shit but every genre has that. Maybe stick to manga since that's where all the best stuff is? (Kokou no Hito, Real, All Rounder Meguru, Rookies + stuff where the anime adaptation is inferior like Touch or doesn't cover everything like Giant Killing)

Nah, most of the time the sport is just there as an excuse to bring characters together and/or get them motivated to get better as a person. For most series I'd argue that you don't even need to know anything about the sport at all.

>Nah, most of the time the sport is just there as an excuse to bring characters together and/or get them motivated to get better as a person. For most series I'd argue that you don't even need to know anything about the sport at all.

Akagi/One Outs is pretty good in that regard, it's just straight up about the sport mahjong.

Sports works best when it isn't just about that specific sport, but a framework and a field for telling a meaningful story too, not just going from match to match.

I think Touch's anime is very good.

If it's done wrong 90% of the time, how can it be underappreciated? And it's not, it's an extremely popular genre.

One Outs and Ippo are the best ones.

A lot of people think "I don't like sports anime" without ever giving it a chance, because they don't like sports in real life. Which leads to sports anime being underwatched. Then they might get tricked into watching a sports anime because they thought it'd be something else, like GuP or Hibike or Chihayafuru because that for some asine reason people always market it as romance despite it having barely any at all rather than sports, and then they may eventually learn that yes, they do actually like sports anime.

Soon

>sports anime where the sport is just a setting for a character drama eg Ping Pong, Cross Game, the upcoming Battery
GOOD
>sports anime that focus on realistic strategy and sports psychology eg Ookiku Furikabutte, some parts of Haikyuu!!
GOOD
>sports anime that are transplanted battle shounens which rely on 'hype' moments eg Kuroko no Basuke, the other parts of Haikyuu!!, the upcoming DAYS
SHIT
>sports anime where the sport is a fanservice vehicle eg Free, the upcoming All Out!!
SHIT

The only sport anime I've watched is Kuroko, so 100% of the sports anime I've seen has been great.

I really love this couple

Hajime no Ippo is the greatest sports anime.

Well put.

>Cross game
>Sports
>always
>90% of the time

Chihayafuru barely has any romance but it's the most interesting aspect to me desu senpai

Arata a shit