Daily Japanese Thread DJT #1584

Cornucopia of Resources / Guide
Read the guide before asking questions.
docs.google.com/document/d/1pKgBm8Aa58mjB1hYhbK-VOPZsRBTXBuPBzw8Xikm2ss/pub?embedded=true

Previous Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/EsRm78ZSOgc?t=52
howtoremember.biz/content/how-flashcards-fail-confessions-tired-memory-guy
youtube.com/watch?v=P-IsjpTLAPU
jisho.org/search/緊張
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

DOJG:
>The particle ni of tabi ni cannot be dropped.

youtu.be/EsRm78ZSOgc?t=52

Who wins?

今日も一日
日今日も一
一日今日も
も一日今日
日も一日今

>WHEN YOUR LN CREATES NEW VOCABULARY

in the end they're the same shit but one is dangerous for 80% of people

howtoremember.biz/content/how-flashcards-fail-confessions-tired-memory-guy

Someone explain this, I'm not in the thread often anymore.

>often anymore
What did he mean by this?

Fuck, meant "these days". In pursuing Japanese, I appear to have forgotten English.

信じられないわ

Dude probably really hated society, going into the mountain to live there on his own and shit

sorry, had to sleep. it's from Shimoneta

Your first sentence was perfectly acceptable English.

Nothing is acceptable in English here

日本語オンリー!

日本に行ったことがある。
日本に行ったことある。(嘘)

DOJG - Dictionary of Japanese for Gaijins

You have to follow the rules, but natives can do whatever they want.

i quoted it because i thought he was trying to imitate the 一日 meme

私は日本語を習った
やっとできないちゃんを倒すことに成功したのだ
このまま続ければ、日本人になれないものかな

俺わニホン

>やっとできないちゃんを倒すことに成功したのだ
嘘つくな

ならばこれ、訳してくだいさい
>妙にせつなげなのが気になると言えば気になるけど…

Doesn't this belong on /jp/?

This isn't anime or manga

when does your tour of Sup Forums end?

いらしゃいませ新人さん

We're all studying Japanese to translate anime and manga for the community and are thus a central part of said community.

This threads been here longer than you have so go suck a chinpo Onii-chan

Cool. You can do that on /jp/ too.

I don't look through every thread in the catalog, this board is too fast and full of shit I don't care about for that. I've seen the threads before I'm sure and didn't bother posting.

>flashcards suck because I'm lazy
yeah that guy can fuck right off

>Cool. You can do that on /jp/ too.
JP is exclusively for flooding-tier otakubait like the endless touhou and 3dpd idol threads, plus meme VNs like fate, tsukihime, and umineko where discussion is about the VNs instead of the anime.

JP is not for anime and manga.

7 Reasons Why Core is Shit, by user. Hope you enjoy.

>1. Vague/overly-simplistic/incorrect definitions.
These cards are not the majority but Core is known not to be 100% accurate.

>2. Useless katakana words that any English speaker would already know.
ズボン is not from English, and スタイル does not mean "style" even if Core says it does, thus words like these are good inclusions. Words like レモン and ミーティング are not.

>3. Hiragana-only vocab.
The vocabulary for "comb" is in Core as くし. But when you boot up Hanahira for your first reading practice ever, you will find that it is written with the kanji 櫛 and you will not have any idea how to read it. Learning anything kana-only besides certain animals, plants, foods, and beginner vocab like なに and どこ is a fool's errand because you will come across the kanji version eventually.

>4. Newspaper words.
Core was made using newspapers as a base, so many of the words you learn in 2k/6k will not be immediately useful to you when you begin reading.

>5. Learning tons of special readings right at the beginning.
The vast majority of Japanese vocabulary is actually pretty easy to understand. When a kanji is on its own or with okurigana, the kun reading is used, i.e. 話す. With other kanji in jukugo compounds, the on reading is used, i.e. 電話, 会話, 神話. But with Core, it shoves tons of beginner-screwing special readings in your face right off the bat. 一日, 七日, 九つ, 土産, etc.

>6. Out-of-context abstract vocabulary.
Learning something like 犬 (dog) out of context is fine. This is true for most physical nouns and many verbs. But when you are learning words like 産業, 職業, and 企業, it is very difficult to grasp the real meanings through rote. This also segues into the final point:

>7. Clustering of similar kanji and vocabulary leads to memory interference.
Not only are the aforementioned three words hard to learn on their own, but when you are made to learn them directly one after another you are bound to get them confused.

>translate anime and manga for the community
違うよ、それはあんたの事柄。僕の事柄じゃない。
go back to your homeboard

>this board is too fast and full of shit I don't care about
Then maybe don't come here in the first place?

Come learn Japanese with us bro

Japanese shit is a thousand times better raw

If you knew how terrible English translations are you wouldn't even want to come to this board

How do I choose which definition to import with Rikaisama? Please no bully.

He makes a lot of good points really

import to text file and edit it manually I guess

Will my composition skills come naturally from reading?

A little bit

どうしよう

Eagerly awaiting samefag troll's threadly complaint that he's 15,000 cards in and still adds 100 a day.

図書館にはめっちゃ便利だよね... 行きたい

I can't believe I thought he was being serious

>Studying Japanese for 20 years
>40,000 vocab in anki
>Read one page of yotsuba
>600 words mined

THANKS JAPANESE

Dekinai wins

どういたしまして

>read this post
>5000 new vocab added to my mining deck

thanks hiro

Last time I was able to mine 100 words in a day was when I read plotge for 12 hours straight, and I'm not even 15000 words in. Usually it's like 20 a day.

Your new is showing.

What a weeb

Welcome to fiction

His complaint about atomizing knowledge doesn't work for vocab, you have to be able to read every word on its own so flashcards are perfect for it.
Card clusters problem can be solved with a plugin.
The rest is just him having wrong attitude towards doing reps.

>For vocabulary, this might have been fine. Words are tiny bits of information that need to be random. We want to be able to reach for any word at any time.
>It’s interesting that both SuperMemo and Anki were developed by programmers who were trying to learn a language. Despite all my problems with flashcards, I still think they could be an essential tool for mastering large quantities of vocabulary.

He even makes this point himself, Anki is built for languages. It can be adapted to other stuff as well but it is perfect for learning vocabulary.

Damn my twitter feed is filled with politics stuff

This picture is totally not biased kek

Oops, name.

作りましょう
作りましょう
さてさて何が
できるかな~

はい!
できない

Good points. The last one is the biggest problem with Core and a big part of why I stopped using it. The so-called "optimised" order, I found, actually made it harder for me to learn words, because groups of words all written with the same kanji are inevitably going to have some overlap of meaning in many cases, which makes it very easy to mix them up when you encounter them one after the other with no context.

It got to a point in Core where I had learned "this is one of those cards that I always mix up", but for whatever reason I couldn't seem to learn to stop mixing them up.

Too moe.

can i trust Adobe to OCR text like this? it's from an old science publication.

Hover over the word > press "u" to enable super sticky mode > hover over the kana of the definition that you want to import > press "r" to import it > press "u" again to disable super stick mode

Apparently this super sticky mode can cause problems in Windows. Supposedly if you move your mouse cursor off the pop-up, Rikaisama breaks and you have to restart Firefox to get it working again.

Sure if thats what gets you off

Yup. I was 3k cards in but decided to just drop it altogether and said "fuck it, I'll re-mine anything I forget." I don't regret it for a second, it was too tedious to bear.

I'll put you in super sticky mode if you catch my drift

cheers. now i don't need to learn japanese.

I laughed out loud at this, funny post

>favorite character in a VN brutally murdered
>author is a sadistic fuck so he describes her funeral instead of timeskipping
>as they put her ashes in a pot I see an unfamiliar kanji
>mine the word
>cry every time I see the card

What's the VN?

You can get banned for spreading fake mod posts, user.

I enjoyed this post, simple but amusing

7/10

Does anyone have that Japanese copypasta that is like a visual illusion? It's like 3 long lines of katakana that look like their slanting at an angle even though you know they're on a straight line

Subscribed.

ご愁傷様でした

Nope

Note that this only mines the top entry for the kana word, so it won't always work unless your desired definition happens to be the top entry.

youtube.com/watch?v=P-IsjpTLAPU

Lured me in with that loli thumbnail and instead of headpats I get this korean shit

Anyone knows the first kanji here?
I think the two together could be 緊張 perhaps?
jisho.org/search/緊張

forgot the image

It is indeed 緊張

It's obviously 緊張, not sure why would you need to ask.

I agree with that 100%

>twitter feed is filled with politics stuff
Twitter accountsちょうだい

Thank you user, I just started learning this is the first time trying to read something, forgive me my stupid question.

is there a word/particle for "the" in japanese?

マジかよ

Are you retarded user?

At what N grammar does fluidly reading VNs fall to?

>Are, you retarded user
Thanks man.

Depends on the VN you knob gobbler

Since Hanahira is considered a VN probably like N4 to N3.

real answers only please

Dies Irae?

You received a real answer, now fuck off dumb spongeposter

i already knew that one so no

>it's a 資本主義者 episode

それなんや? ただのねこや。

こんにちは、ネコさん

I don't think I'd even be able to read that middle part if it was in English to be quite honest

Never been more perplexed before in my life

ぞい子を妊娠したいし責任を取りたくないし