Fantasy Thread

There is any high fantasy anime coming in the next season?

Excluding contemporary/futuristic battle magic school stuff I mean.

Any Grimgar or Danamchi like series?

Well, either Re:Zero and Endride, whose second cour continue in Summer season, or Tales of Zestiria the X.

who is this slut

>▶
Use it

>Endride
I still can't belive that thing got 2 cour treatment, just WHY

Manya from Dragon Quest 4.

What's with Sup Forums fixation on fantasy anime?
Is there that many /tg/ crossboarder?
Or simply the thoiugh of a life away from every day nonsense is that much appealing for you?

Well, I can't talk for all Sup Forums but in my case at least is certainly because the thoiugh of a life away from every day nonsense is that much appealing for me.

I got into anime cause fantasy basically because you can make things that you can't do easly in other visual media, is like seeing imagination taking form so the further is the everyday life the better.

>ESL who thinks high fantasy is exclusive to /tg/
Get out.

Maybe it has something to do with the fact everyone is sick of the sea of generic regurgitated Japanese mythology crap that anime/manga is flooded with.

So going for western mythology is the answer?

>high fantasy
>western mythology

no new fantasy anime will ever compare to the comfyness level of the original Record of Lodoss War

I bet none of you fantasy niggers watched Seisen Cerberus, it's a great show.

Exactly this.

take off the nostalgia glasses grandpa

I did tho

Rokka no Yuusha was great want a season two so bad

Are there any high fantasy anime that don't seem to be taking notes from LotR and viking mythos in general?

Good,because it pretty under the radar. One of this season's hidden gems.

Viking Mythos are pretty spot-on in terms of powerlevel for high fantasy though
Greek / Nip / Chink / Middle-Eastern mythology is basically a fuckmassive powergap between ANY human and the weakest of gods.

OP here. I did. Or...I'm doing it since one episode remains.

Although wouldn't call it "great" not even good. Is mediocre at best. The concept is fine, the characters are Likeable, it has adventure but low production and direction values are just too huge to ignore.

Same could be said pretty much about Endride (except the likeable characters)

>Middle-Eastern mythology
I sure hope you don't mean Judaism

He is probably referring to Christianity

Arslan Senki S2
Berserk 2016
Tales of whatever

>Middle-Eastern mythology
Elaborate please?
Do you mean Mesopotamian, Egyptian or Abrahimic mythology?

Kill yourself

name 5 not set in not-Medieval Europe

what's the appeal of that series?

besides the designs and the dark elf

12 Kingdoms
Saiunkoku Monogatari
Magi
Erin
Seirei no moribito
Blade & Soul

>what's the appeal of that series?
Its one the most pure form of D&D (if not THE most) you can find in anime format and was one of the first.

From there the anime fantasy in general derivated towards RPG videogame parody and RPG videogame worlds (that is similar to D&D but it adds good amounts of technomgagic, steampunk, robots, and girls with cat ears).

Usually people who likes high fantasy likes classic high fantasy the most so...that's the appeal, its "classic" and simple.

this

Japan isn't even much fixated on it (they seem more into Toku series at this point).
It's Sup Forums that keeps pulling out generic fantasy LN #1983943 to gush about

>tabletop rpg session
>classic high fantasy

>holy shit, people have different tastes in entertainment. This is somehow shocking and worthy of pointing out.

You know one fantasy thread had me thinking why isn't there much high fantasy anime set in Not-Japan

Like there's a lot of not-Medieval Europe and not-China fantasy series out there but I wonder what a series not set in Japan/our world but runs completely on Shinto mythology logic would look like.

has the last chapter of the Ruin Explorers manga been translated yet?

Even other popular series like Slayers tend to load the series with anachronisms and stuff like jpop

>why isn't there much high fantasy anime set in Not-Japan

Because all the stuff they have to work with is so close to themselves that would be stupid to try to sell it as an "original world" so, they just present them as Japan or an alternative history of Japan.

Sengoku Basara, Nobuna no Yabou, Ninja scroll, Karasu tengu Kabuto or Ninja Cadets that are the first examples of japanese fantasy that comes to my mind...do you really think they are really Japan more than Not-Japan? They totally not-Japan, but they still are called Japan instead of being build as original worlds.

Why? Because they can create an imaginary medieval world and fill it with "gungirs" "Excaliburs" "Janes D'arc" "Cerberus" and call it "original world" and Japanese will swallow it as an "original world" because even its known in popular media is still someway far.

But if you put a Nobunaga, a Jubei or Orochi they will inmediately indentify, so it will be harder to buy it as an "original world". So...its better not even try and just call it actual Japan instead of making it not-japan.

The same way in the west an "original world" where characters are called King Arthur or Jeane D'Arc would be called shit, but you could use Arthur or Jeane as long as the setting is our world and no one would complain.

Horizon on the middle of nowhere.

>why isn't there much high fantasy anime set in Not-Japan
In the west, fantasy tries too hard to stay to its Tolkien roots. In Japan, they worship western fantasy and culture. Which turns into most fantasy becoming either inspired by Tolkien, Tolkien clones or European history/mythos. Though Japan does seem to have more original fantasy concepts than the west does. Most times when the west tries to do unique fantasy, it just turns into scifi with a futuristic or dystopian setting.

To be fair all the media in general and not just anime seems stacked on

1.Medieval
2.Sci-fi
3.Postapocalypse

Is not that you can't find other things but mostly everything a variation of one of those.

That was kind of my point. Though there's a few more supergenres than just the three you named, the west is overly fixated on about 5-6 of these. Fantasy mostly comes down to Tolkenesque, medieval fantasy or scifi/fantasy fusion.

There's like maybe 1-3 shows a year that actually feature shinto mythology (and not just MUH NINJAS MUH NOT-SAMURAI MUH DEMON KING NOBANANAGA) in an action context

And 90% of the time they're urban fantasy or battleharem/academy bullshit

There's Berserk, but it's a PS3 launch title and not an anime

It would be nice to have a longer series that feels like LOTR.

TG put together a chart but I can't seem to find it right now