Vinland Saga 129/Historie 96

Gonna be dumping the new chapters for both Vinland Saga and Historie.

Feels kind of annoying to translate something that's already been done, but I suppose it's not pointless, considering the mistranslations in Mangastream's version.

Other urls found in this thread:

sendspace.com/file/8i08rn
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Aw yis. Thanks man.

When will Historie go back on hiatus?

I can't remember the last time it was on hiatus so... never? It just has a slow bimonthly schedule.

I will always prefer your translations. I haven´t even read those from NIggerstream. Also, thanks for your efforts, Hox.

Best time of the month is here at last. Thanks.
That's some really fucking quick change of attitude here.

I really don't want to come across as another whiny translator bitching about project "right," but skimming through Mangastream's release, I'm surprised by how many mistranslations they make. Their first fucking page has a mistranslation.

M-MASAKA!

HE'S FAST

HAYAY

thanks for posting these brothers

i hope this manga can recover and not suck anymore

There's nothing to recover from though, Vinland has been great all the time.

I don´t understand why people say that. I could understand Farmland saga putting people off, because such themes in such a schedule is boring. Specially right after Askeladd´s death and so much action. However, rereading it as a whole, is not bad at all. My opinion, of course.

I personally loved the Arneis and her husband-bit during the farming arc.

>take it as like we acknowledge your strength

Farmland saga put off the "HORSE PUNCH LOL XD" idiots that expected everything to be fights all the time. It was a great arc.

Yukimura couldn´t give them a better conclusion. It was great and natural. I mean, her surviving or some other corny shit would have been awful.

Hoh shit man

BASED

Yukimura is not even trying to be subtle.

w-w-what

have we met this dude before?

What the shit?
Does anyone know what Vagns company is?

Vagn is the other Jomsviking who left with his own company of followers to contest Floki putting his grandson up as the next Jomsviking chieftain. It was explained 2 chapters ago.

Absolutely Disgusting

oh thank god i need more of these

You certainly don't look like a "mere merchant" with that sort of attitude, Thorfinn.

He just forgot the right gesture, that's all.

>lays out an entire heavily armored and skilled raiding party with his bare hands
>expects anyone to believe him when he says this

damn they make a strong argument t b h

I hope he wont go all "B-but muh Vinland"

>Thorfinn turns jomsvikings into the best farming order of the north

Thorfinn: Goddammit that's why I'm trying to leave!

Re-reading it all in one go, Farmland became one of my favorite arcs. Thorfinn's character development is really amazing.

I hope the cover of next volume won't be as bad as previous one.

FOR (YOU)

Here's the dl link to the VS chapter: sendspace.com/file/8i08rn

The artwork isn't bad, but Yukimura really needs a skilled colourist or learn how to do better himself.

>FOR YOU
>KISAMA-!?

top kek

Alright, moving onto the new Historie chapter. Reminder that if you can't tolerate the scribble-backgrounds, just read the tankoban releases which fixes up the art.

Holy shit that's hilarious.

A Jew has never looked so handsome.

>Historie dump
Please god no not again. I can't handle the pain a second time.

>tfw no edgy crossbow gf

SOMEONE'S ABOUT TO GET NTR'D.

Thorfinn got BURNED.

The Vegeta pose doesn't help either.

>Yukimura really needs a skilled colourist
That's what I'm talking about. Especially considering the opening color pages from first chapter, that's a huge fall in terms of quality.

Based Hox.

ayyy

Bad color ruins a lot of otherwise competent comics. Probably more than any other single factor.

I still don't like Alexander "Weird eye tattoo and best friend is actually a split personality".

Indeed. Thorfinn changed from an edgy one-dimensional shonen revenge archetype to a much more complex character. There's a reason the manga sidelined him in favor of Askeladd and his schemings for a good while, he was a much more interesting character than Thorfinn.

He realized that living for revenge was dumb since he had nothing to live for after Askeladd died. His years as a slave helped him gain empathy and realize that war and destruction are dumb, but he's also learning that his initial "all peace" stance is naive and unrealistic in a world full of warmongers. His dad died following that same path, after all.

He also learns that after all he has done he won't simply be able to leave his past behind just like that, he fucked so many lives up and met too many powerful people in his years of petty revenge. His only hope is to start anew in Vinland but getting there will be very hard and even then as history shows that promised land of his isn't exactly peaceful either.

At the wedding between Philip and Eurydica (aka Cleopatra), the historical Attalus supposedly said that hopefully Philip can now give a legitimate heir to the throne. The implication obviously being that Alexander, being born from a Molossian mother, is not a full-blooded Macedonian and therefore not truly legitimate in the eyes of the Macedonian aristocracy.

Now in the manga, Philip has made a few curious remarks about Alexander, most notably in the previous chapter 95. "If only he were a general and not a prince. It would be a shame to waste his talents, but... That boy is ill."

My theory is that Philip, seeing Alexander's eccentricities, does not think of him as an ideal heir and he too, seeks to perhaps replace Alexander with another son. So Eumenes' new role as the "King's left-hand" might possibly have to do with backing Philip's wishes against Alexander in a succession conflict.

Or who knows, maybe I'm reading too much into this.

>Alexander whacks Philip's wives and children after Philip's assassination
>Eumenes has to stick around as secretary

Poor Scythian never gets a break. Even the silver shields hate him.

I've come to like the split-personality angle, considering the historical Alexander had some very polarizing natures, such as being noble and generous to some, while being vindictive and cruel to others.

However, I still do think Hephaesteus should have been a real character.

I was waiting for your version. Thank you based Hox.

Glad you still did it even tho MS came out first, was waiting on yours. Thanks!

>Re-reading it all in one go, Farmland became one of my favorite arcs
Same here. I'm glad I was able to read it all at once, though -- I do feel it would have felt rather slow between every monthly release.

Saved

Thank you for translating.