It's 2017. I mean, we should have a lunar base by now. What the hell's going on?

>It's 2017. I mean, we should have a lunar base by now. What the hell's going on?

What did Elon Musk mean by this?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=E4FY894HyF8
21stcentech.com/money-spent-nasa-not-waste/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

youtube.com/watch?v=E4FY894HyF8

At 31:21.

If our space agencies consistently got the funding they did in the 60's, we would have a presence on mars and the moon.

We would definitely have asteroid mines

We could potentially be sending people to Venus in floating balloons and maybe talking about sending a crew to the Jupiter system.

NASA isn't even going to Mars anymore, they only get their budget cut year after year and every president changes their mission. They just can't get anything done

>What did Elon Musk mean by this?

That he knows nothing of economics.

>If our space agencies consistently got the funding they did in the 60's, we would have a presence on mars and the moon.
Doing nothing.

>We would definitely have asteroid mines
Doing nothing but losing money

>We could potentially be sending people to Venus in floating balloons and maybe talking about sending a crew to the Jupiter system.
This poster is officially retarded.

He's not wrong.

>I am an ancap child molester with no roads
Space nazis are the way forward

Oh right, all threads not related to politics are just leftypol slide threads.

Hopefully asteroid mining would crash the commodity investment market then we could use silver or better metals for wiring and improve internet speeds and reduce line loss by several percentage points.

Man will go nowhere. Born in tears and dying in fear always bonded to your rock. That is your limit.

That we've been focusing way too much on Mars despite not even having a base on the Moon.
We need to take smaller steps and that starts with building a lunar outpost that can be used for later missions.

Every dollar spent on space shit gives you a 10x return.

Grooved highways were invented by NASA as well as dehydrated juice mixes.

Rare earth metals aren't so rare on some asteroids, modern electronics could cost half as much. Living in space would also necessitate advancements in medical technologies, mitigating DNA irradiation could force a cure for cancer and lead to massive advances in genetic engineering.

Pozzed at greater speeds!

It wouldn't crash anything. It could not sell the metals at a competitive rate and earn a profit.

We've never recovered more than a few KG from above the moon's orbit, and suddenly people think it's possible to recover MILLIONS OF TONS?

People need to stop pretending like space can be understood by laymen.

Mars is arguably a smaller step

the idea is to create a loss leader

>announce cargo ship to mars opportunity with spacex offering to transport cargo for a million per ton
>companies jump on that opportunity
>people go to mars
>it gradually becomes impossible for the whole mars travel scheme to be rejected since doing that would involve killing at least 10 people, 1 of them being the first person to stand on the surface of another planet
>more and more money gets put into space travel until space travel itself becomes profitable
>musk can sit back and stutter about hyperloops until he dies

>and suddenly people think it's possible to recover MILLIONS OF TONS?
if you retrieve some asteroids, yes. getting the asteroid to earth is the hard part, getting the minerals to the surface is easy.

>Every dollar spent on space shit gives you a 10x return.
Good luck citing that.

>Grooved highways were invented by NASA as well as dehydrated juice mixes.
Good luck demonstrating how those techs required microgravity and not just a lab that any other company could have ran.

>Rare earth metals aren't so rare on some asteroids, modern electronics could cost half as much
a pity they're in such high orbits that it would take dozens of F9 heavy launches to bring down a few tons of the stuff, completely blowing any profits out of the water.

>Living in space would also necessitate advancements in medical technologies, mitigating DNA irradiation could force a cure for cancer and lead to massive advances in genetic engineering.
There is no cure for cancer, idiot. and nobody is taking a job where they have to move to an area where their children will have to be freaks marooned in space forever.

>Grooved highways were invented by NASA as well as dehydrated juice mixes.

No and no.

>the idea is to create a loss leader
On the backs of the american taxpayer, i assume?

>companies jump on that opportunity
To do what? What companies? There is nothing economical that you need mars for.

>it gradually becomes impossible for the whole mars travel scheme to be rejected since doing that would involve killing at least 10 people, 1 of them being the first person to stand on the surface of another planet
Nobody is staying on mars for more than they have to. Nobody is ever going to live on mars.

>if you retrieve some asteroids, yes.
How many falcon 9 heavy launches per ton of material recovered? Go ahead wise guy, calculate the delta v for me.

>getting the asteroid to earth is the hard part, getting the minerals to the surface is easy.
You do realize that no industrialized nation will allow a private company to deorbit several ton asteroids over their territory, right? You do realize that asteroids of such a nature are weapons of mass destruction, right?

Long live the Science Industrial Complex

I don't think we have to do anything other than announce we're doing it. Investors work on speculation. Even if we never got the asteroid, announcing we are going to will crash the market.

>On the backs of the american taxpayer, i assume?
yes. it worked quite well for the british, didn't it?

>To do what? What companies? There is nothing economical that you need mars for.
enhanced communications arrays, experimental solar arrays, projects to discover mineral deposits, weather stations, antenna arrays, telescopes, radio telescopes, fuel refineries...

a fuel refinery would be the most important one. you could economically travel to the outer solar system that way. spacex is working on a methane engine for that reason, they want to be able to tank up at mars and go to the gas giants.

>Nobody is staying on mars for more than they have to. Nobody is ever going to live on mars.
that's just your opinion. plenty of people climb mountains for no gain.

>How many falcon 9 heavy launches per ton of material recovered?
i don't know. it's probably economical though. maybe not for iron, but for rare minerals.

>You do realize that no industrialized nation will allow a private company to deorbit several ton asteroids over their territory, right?
we have oceans, and you could just break the asteroid up and attach a glider of some sort to it. you don't need to deorbit a 10 km diameter asteroid all at once.

you seem to be opposing everything just because you hate musk. i hate him too, but he does have a point.

he means the secret space program already have bases on the moon and mars, but nobody is allowed to talk about it. also spics and niggers are holding us back.

michael cera
hahhahahhahhahahahahahahhhahahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaahhahah

>Nobody is ever going to live on mars.
fucking lol'd

10/10 if troll
7/10 if pasta

We really did drop the ball on "space as next colonization wave". At the least, we should fucking be on the Moon, exploring, seeking resources, mining them to enrich the home planet.

>Every dollar spent on space shit gives you a 10x return.
21stcentech.com/money-spent-nasa-not-waste/

Microgravity had nothing to do with it, they needed a new kind of road that the space shuttle could land on without bouncing
>There is no cure for cancer, idiot. and nobody is taking a job where they have to move to an area where their children will have to be freaks marooned in space forever.

Fuckin derp, think Martin Skreli gives a shit about curing cancer? They are a company, they need to make money, there is no money in curing illnessess, they want to keep you perpetually dependent on their drugs so they maintain an income stream for their investors.

You're the fucking nobody who thinks he's smarter than fucking physicists and whatever other actually certified geniuses these projects take.
Fucking grow up bitch

(((Mars)))

>Even if we never got the asteroid, announcing we are going to will crash the market.
No it won't because mineral trading companies know the obvious. Going to space is not going to make the materials cheaper than digging them up on earth. Rio tinto and BHP billington pull a billion tons of iron ore out of the earth every year. You're never going to be able to compete with that, for any material.

>yes. it worked quite well for the british, didn't it?
I've no idea what you mean.

>enhanced communications arrays
>experimental solar arrays
Don't need to leave earth orbit.

>projects to discover mineral deposits
That would never reap a profit even if the cost of the minerals jumped to 100x the price.

>weather stations
On mars?

>a fuel refinery would be the most important one. you could economically travel to the outer solar system that way.
To do nothing.

>spacex is working on a methane engine for that reason, they want to be able to tank up at mars and go to the gas giants.
Chemical rockets to jupiter? Holy fuck you people are stupid. If they really wanted that they'd be working on more NERVA.

>plenty of people climb mountains for no gain.
A tiny fraction of exceedingly wealthy people is your analogy? You plan to put the costs of all these vehicles and infrastructure on them?

>i don't know.
Then you have no argument. Zero, zilch, nada. You're going off religious faith alone.

>we have oceans
Still has to re-enter over territory owned by nations and whatever super expensive sled you plan on putting the rock on can still fail and send the rock off-course, potentially killing thousands. If you land it in the ocean, it'll shatter. If you want to put parachutes on a 20,000 ton rock, i'm going to laugh at you.

>you seem to be opposing everything just because you hate musk. i hate him too, but he does have a point.
I actually know what i am talking about. You have already stated that you do not.

hes trying to distract people from the previous claim spaceX would put people on mars. this and the death train tube thingy are meant to keep people from talking about how spaceX isnt going to mars

he will construct a implausible public transportation system of death and destruction just so people stop talking about mars

>yes goy stop advancing new technologies
>think of the starving children goy

>21stcentech.com/money-spent-nasa-not-waste/
Nasa made those techs in nasa labs onboard the ISS or did civilian subcontrators on the ground take up work issued to them by nasa and those techs would have been invented by other people to suit needs had nasa not invented them?

>Microgravity had nothing to do with it
No shit, which is why anybody else could have made it. Putting grooves in roads is not fucking rocket science.

Wow what a shitty argument.

>Fuckin derp, think Martin Skreli gives a shit about curing cancer? They are a company, they need to make money, there is no money in curing illnessess, they want to keep you perpetually dependent on their drugs so they maintain an income stream for their investors.
The fuck is this incoherent rant? Cancer is caused by errors in DNA transcription. DNA transciption occurs every time cells are made in the body. The only way to prevent or cure cancer is to find a way to stop cells from dividing in the body, which would be certain death.

Fucking leftypol slide threads. You idiots have nothing to say. You're nothing but parrots.

Leftypol confirmed.

>1 post by this ID

How to spot leftypol. They use proxies to say one vacuous thing to keep the thread bumped.

fuck that
I'm not going to praise some leftards
Can't deny the type of waste the government spends in support of muh science

all the money for space exploration is needed for gibs for shitskins, sorry goy

>1 post by this id
>identical in content to

They are not sending us their best and brightest, folks.

not an argument kike

He really wanted to get away from all the niggers.

What the fuck would we even do with a moon base?

The thing tho is space technology even if useless in terms of space ends up being extremely useful when modified for earth side use so we should give them a few billion and let them fuck around. That's how cool shit gets developed

technological development

(((Technological development)))

You can develop all the technology to have an encapsulated colony without actually putting one on the moon. It would require absolutely insane upkeep, and provide at best marginal benefit.

It would be way easier to send ships and explore the space with telescopes from there.

>being anti space Reich

GOD DAMN I AM SO GLAD IM NOT LIKE YOU

>45 posts
>Not 1 John Oliver meme

What happened to you pol

>the universe
>existing

dead meme

I mean come on! It's 2017 people!

>He thinks delta-v has fuckall to do with how many falcon 9 heavy launches per ton of material recovered.

hang that tax parasite

citizens own all his assets because we funded his dumb ass

ATMOSPHERIC REFRACTION NIGGER

Are you aware that photons coming from these starts get disturbed by the Earth's atmosphere on their way into your eyes, faggot?

Well you are now.

Serious question: Is Musk retarded? Heart atrophy alone makes human travel to Mars physically impossible.

earth is flat

idk how youre gonna land on something that doesnt exist

He meant "my companies are all overleveraged and unprofitable, so I will say some things that idiot Neil Degrasse Tyson fans from Reddit will like so that they will invest more money into propping up my failures a little longer."

the reason Nasa stopped being a priority is because the Soviet Union collapsed.

We only ever went into space to compete with the Communists, because the thought was Space was the next frontier, and a potential MILITARY frontier.

Atmospheric distortion. How does it work?

oh you're just being ironic.

I don't know who is jewing me anymore

MORE GIBS NOW

He meant give me money

>anything that isnt what nasa told me is an illusion lalalalalalalalala

gl colonizing a light elon

planets arent real

Elon Skum is a parasite on government shekels. He gets government $$$ for these pie-in-the-sky bullshit projects that he never finishes, and what you are watching is his latest sales pitch for more shekels.

It would be more foolish to trust these maymay images you're posting.

You can look at Jupiter and see the layers of its atmosphere distinctly, as well as the 4 Galilean moons around it. If you watch long enough you see the planet turn and the moons move in their orbit.

Space is fake, the Earth is flat but for some reason Jupiter is round?

The watching one doesn't want us there.

>the reason Nasa stopped being a priority is because the Soviet Union collapsed
It's actually because the money was diverted to welfare for niggers.

don't underestimate the stupidity of flattards

>I REFUSE to give .003 cents a year to those nasa crooks that advance humanity!
>but I will give hundreds to the military that "protects" us by advancing zionist interest and bombing goat fuckers that live in hills across the ocean
AmeriKEKs, everyone

>You can look at Jupiter

Forgot to specify, you can see the planet through any bitch ass telescope

You can also resolve Saturn and its rings.

Thank you for saying it so I didn't.

It won't matter when the advanced humans are created we will be there pets

>failed batteries
>autistic mentally ill owner
>'it's 201X meme use

To all my /biz/boys -SELL SELL SELL!

>Jupiter

LOL.

you are looking through a device developed to make you believe in a made up universe

>It would be more foolish to trust these maymay images you're posting.

or maybe do your own research

flat earth is growing every day because its true youre the fool who believes the government

I made my own teliscope

Moon telescopes would be cool, but using the moon as a launch point for deeper space travel doesn't make sense because you still have to ship everything to the moon first, so you aren't saving any resources or fuel

Hold your horses rocket man. We still need to go through WW3. The USA will collapse once it gets past South Africa 'diversity' levels. China will be the space leaders of the World after they conquer Japan

Are you >imblygin pic related is Jewish tricks?

And why the fuck are your images using DSLRs as a standard?

Also that begs the question why you trust a DSLR and not a good old fashioned telescope?

China isn't dumb imperialists like the US
they don't conquer they just want to own it with moni

That's assuming they won't be using resources on the moon to construct more shit.

this is pol everything is a jewish trick

>a pity they're in such high orbits that it would take dozens of F9 heavy launches to bring down a few tons of the stuff, completely blowing any profits out of the water.

>i can calculate expenditures and deficits with no need for actual enumeration! I just say it and it means something somehow!

Forgot picture

>Nobody is ever going to live on mars.

so are you assuming there will be some kind of mass extinction event, or maybe that progression will just stagnate and people will stop wanting to push boundaries?

Again, you speak as if the mere saying of these things will verify the it's validity. It's laughably narrow minded.

so he's autistic right

What resources, the moon is an iron ball wrapped in rocks

Literally WAKE UP SHEEPLE tier

There better be a shit ton of gold there to even justify the literal billions of dollars it would take to get there and then maintain a liveable workspace for miners. Im sure theres gold on the south pole too, doesn't mean its profitable to mine it

if we started importing gold en mass from another planet wouldn't that just decrease the value of gold?

yes you dumbass

The idea of space travel is inane and socially dangerous.

Space travel is an extreme version of a common belief that it is easier to run away from our problems than to solve them. Those who gleefully look forward to space colonization are either insane or brainwashed by fancy imagery to the point of religious devotion.

The optimistic belief in space travel, colonising Mars, etc.....has dangerous parallels with conventional religion. While it is human to seek comfort in religion, it is a misleading and dangerous way of thinking we should be aware of, and wary of.

As president Eisenhower once said, every ship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed.

>earth is a limited resource
>ameifats have no problem literally sitting here until its too late to move somewhere else
god bless the fermi paradox