Why do we hate it?

Why do we hate it?

Something something Imaishi is all style no substance

I fucking love it, i just wish Imaishi could fucking pull somethign this great again instead of kiznaivers garbage.

>we
Go back to rabbit

It's alright Better than kill la kill
>inb4 butthurt klkfags

It ripped off getter robo

Fanbase.

Kill la Kill= good female and male characters

Gurren Lagann= good male characters, absolutely terrible female characters

Klk has a better cast

It's a parody of getter robo and all super robo shows

Where do you people even SEE these fanbases?

Here.

I don't hate it, it's one of my all time favourites. Episode 26 is fucking ingrained into my heart and brain.

I'm a newfag (2009) but Sup Forums loved it enough to crash the board with shitposting if those Rossiu threads are anything to go by.

I hate it because its too good that I cant find a better mecha anime than it since its over

That episode still destroys me after all these years.

He had nothing to do with Kiznaiver.

There is no we. Some people probably hate it because they think other people love it more than it deserves to be loved, which is probably true but not a very good reason to hate something.

We?

dropped it when kamina died. Everyone says "ah but it gets better when the coolest dude dies", but thats simply not possible.

I mean, I like some of the early Yoko x Nia content, where they're learning to trust each other and shit.

I honestly really like that Yoko was the only one in the gang able to admit she didn't have the aptitude for politics, apart from the obviously so-inclined Roshi.

So, I'd say the 2 gals aren't all bad. Even Kinon had her moments in the politics arc. Slapping Kitan in the face hit home.

But yeah, they're just not developed with quite the same love that you see in Roshi, Kamina, Kitan, Simon, etc...

Kitan is at least 20 times cooler than Kamina, even his death is better.

It is better, though..

You could've used the spoiler tag, user...

1.) Evangelion is better.

2.) If you want to watch a generic super robot cartoon, skip Gurren Lagann and just go watch Neo Getter Robo or the Mazinger Z reboot. Both are more important and influential in the genre than Gurren Lagann, which is practically a Cowboy Bebop-tier footnote in the history of Japanese cartoons.

>needing spoilers tagged for an 8+ year old series
Get out.

Why bother, he clearly said he isn't going to watch it, kinda did it on purpose to be honest.

I didn't drop it, and I like the show, but yeah Kamina's stretch is by far the best. The finale is okay, but if you've seen other super robot finales it's nothing special, everything inbetween Kamina's death and the last few episodes kind of sucks though.

This for me.

It's like that first hit of H

always chasing the dragon now

It's literally fine lurk moar.

The first half is a lot better than the second half except for the last episodes

Negro, the best arc of the series is the politics.

Kamina's death was a masterstroke that gives a pretty over the top, sweet mecha anime a lot more depth, while sacrificing 0 over the topness.

>the arc where Simon deals with Kamina's death
>the aftermath of the war
>meeting the final enemy in a final battle

Kamina is awesome, and the series knows it, and his death fuels the manly passion to even greater heights.

>Kamina dies
>The author expects you to self-insert into Simon (a cuckold), who watches his crush hook up with another man
>Simon never even fucks Nia, cucked again

It's cuckime of the highest order, and not even that good. Watch Evangelion instead.

This is my favorite anime of all time
I'd sacrifice all of Sup Forums to go back in time to when I was 14 so I could watch it for the first time again

I don't I just think its too overrated and to everyone who gets into anime this is one of the first five they'll mostly watch (even happened to me.) and then decide to praise it as gods gift for endless years.

It's okay at best, I really just can't accept people calling Kamina a good character at all that fucking irks me.

>Watch Evangelion instead.
But I self insert as gendo.

>we
I just wanna know where you'd get this impression in the first place user

You suck fucking dick, tripfag.

I actually didn't like it that much the first time I watched it, I was way to young, the second time I watched I was 19-20 and it ended up being one of my favorites as well. I just really appreciate the whole Willpower vibe nowdays, seeing as I feel more powerless the older I get [\spoiler]

Because Sup Forums doesn't get any joy out of actually watching anime. It's knowing that they're watching something that is considered 'good' that actually makes them happy, regardless of their enjoyment.

This
Holy shit, go kill yourself tripfag, dont try to force yourself unto us, you are a nobody in real life just as much as you are nobody here.

I... think you got your replies mixed up?

How is Kamina not a good character? He was fucking based, the cool aniki-type done right.

You can't get cucked by an unrequited crush. There has to be an actual relationship

Too bad TTGL attracts annoying ass contrarians

It's shit.

>Too bad Sup Forums attracts annoying ass contrarians

Then wtf is that old turd doing? where is my new mecha series

Well hey he had god-tier omnipotence by the end of it.

Too popular
Not enough high school
Not enough generic japanese girls

What's the point of all that power if you don't even (want to) use it?

Isn't it funny how people will say TTGL is just stupid action but when Kamina dies and there is some serious drama and character development, they complain anyways?

>we

Nah, it's still one of my favorite series. One of the few that can still send shivers down my spine. The willpower and determination themes have always spoke to me.

Same here

Because the drama is garbage?

>we

Also fuck off.

TTGL is average, forgettable.
but it's not terrible or anything

Rossiu having a complex because of his experiences growing up and becoming one of those victims who turns into an abuser is bad drama.

A 2 minute long scene of featuring two characters standing in an elevator without communicating and CONGRATULATIONS is fantastic drama that is meant to convey some kind of sublime truth about the human condition and is not just the director intentionally making the show end as a trainwreck as a means of achieving catharsis regarding his depression.

Glad we cleared that one up, Evageek.

Only contrarians hate it.

This. It was a pretty hype experience.

>It was a pretty hype experience.
>pretty hype
>pretty

I'm not sure there are any shows more hype

2007 Sup Forums was in love with TTGL.

Because the only thing Sup Forums hates more than reddit is anime.

>best friends dies
>partially your fault
>people don't like you anymore and treat you like shit because they only really liked Kamina
>have to deal with your problems in your own way from now on

Nah, that's good drama.

When was the last time you watched it?
Just out of curiosity.

That's a really shitty strawman.

at least a month or two ago, I think
why tho

Stop posting, you have to be 18+ or older to post on this site.

The reddit generation hate everything and more importantly they need to make people know about how much they hate it.

You betray your own ignorance. If you want to downplay Gurren Lagann, just call it derivative or shit rather than "forgettable."

It was the show with the second largest following in the history of Sup Forums after Code Geass, and it's been discussed regularly on the board since it aired. Actual forgettable shit would be something like Star of the Seine or the Sunrise Starship Troopers adaptation or Kill Me Baby--shows that were consigned to the abyss of public memory as soon as their run was finished.

/thread

During TTGL airtime was the worst influx of new posters in the history of Sup Forums, and it was solely because the underage children who thought this show was the best thing ever decided to go to their gaia and big 3 forums and tell them about Sup Forums and how they could cuss here and thus Sup Forums was ruined.

All over a show which couldn't even begin to compare to the shows it was supposed to pay tribute to. Getter, Gaogaigar, Gunbuster, all are magnitudes better and yet not as easily accessible to attention deficit children and manbabies.

this is better bait than the op

hold on son, it was forgettable in my opinion, doesn't mean that it was insignificant or anything, just didn't stand out that much for me.

about the only thing that kinda stood out for me is the music, which is 'bretty awesome.

How excited are you for the new Imaishi mecha series?

>People is still getting butthurt because ttgl is more famous than their favorite super robo series

How is that bait? OP asked why Sup Forums hates TTGL, and that is an objectively true answer.

Sup Forums doesn't hate TTGL as a majority or even a significant minority though

which is the whole bait aspect of this thread in the first place

I hope the animation is good

>implying it's actually more famous

It is more familiar to EOPs in the same way that Naruto is better known in the west than Fist of the North Star. In Japan, however, Mazinger and Getter are far better known because they are timeless classics of the medium and Gurren Lagann is, rightly, viewed as just another homage/ripoff, albeit one with good production values.

[Citation needed]

Most people who watch or don't watch anime don't even know what Mag and Getter is.

well i like it and wish imiashi would fuck me

but its popular and fun so ofcourse theres gonna be hate

For me it was just boring and weak as hell. I get that it's popular because it's like watching a Saturday morning cartoon the way the characters never take anything seriously which was a problem for me. When one of the main characters died I legitimately didn't give a fuck because I thought he was going to come back since he went through worse ever since the first episode. KlK is the same but at least that one had a ton of fan service which made it slightly watchable.

I don't hate it I love it

>the way the characters never take anything seriously
I'm pretty sure you watched Rurren Hugann (the chinese rip-off)

>I live in Japan and did a random survey of 100 Japanese otaku to verify my statement
Tell me more about the Japanese public and how you know everything about them

Clearly you don't have an older brother

>shitty knockoff
>cooler

i dont like your tone you little fuck

God that looks ugly.

If you're asking for proof of the enduring popularity of Getter/Mazinger and the transience of Gurren Lagann, you have only to look at the Super Robot Wars franchise.

There have been ~35 games made for it in the past 25 years, and its target audience has always been and still is giant robot aficionados. Gurren Lagann has only been in a few of the recent ones and will not be included in the newest entry that's launching later this year; meanwhile, Getter and Mazinger have been in literally EVERY game that isn't an Original Generations only title.

>this is where you will try and establish a false dichotomy that people who like mecha anime are somehow a different population that is not representative of your "regular" Japanese person who likes anime

Yes, ignore the fact that Go Nagai was involved with both series, that millions of people watched both series as children, and that both franchises are 40 years old and still getting new installments as of 2016. Meanwhile, what has Gurren Lagann gotten lately?

I used to be the typical edgy teenage nihilist. Those drills changed my ideology.

My only problem is that the first arc is too short and they play up the whole "Rossiu has gone crazy" thing for too long.

>both franchises are 40 years old and still getting new installments as of 2016.
Cool they can circle jerk dead series
I agree. maybe tone down sad simon arc a bit for more room

This, this place crumbled back then.

And the deterioration just won't stop.

reasonable post

I mean for one, you're using a videogame to judge Japanese public perception. Should I say that because Snake was only in one Smash Bros game that MGS is somehow insignificant?

And two, you're then using that very niche basis to try and apply it to an incredibly broad spectrum of people.

Sup Forums hates most things, so it's assumed that it hates everything

>cool they can circle jerk dead series

Ironically, you are doing just that.

Getter and others are still alive, unlike your first most favorite anime ever.

>being produced means it's still alive
ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Damn you got me in the corner