Why is a sudden dramatic shift in a character's personality called "character development"?

Why is a sudden dramatic shift in a character's personality called "character development"?

If a timeskip/traumatic event changes a character so much that they might as well be a different character from who they were last episode than that's just lazy writing.

>Watching the anime

It's just as sudden and dramatic in the manga iirc. And I'm not only talking about Kaneki.

Tokyo Ghoul becoming Tokyo Ghoul Wars was one of the shittiest changes I've read in a while.

Cared about Kaneki and his troubles with settling into the ghoul life, but that gets dropped in favour of E D G Y W A R S.

Shit tier.

What you people really want is pro wrestling character development.

That's exactly why I dropped it right after the rescue Kaneki arc. It became so shitty with shonen style info dumps, different types of ghoul powers, and all sorts of shit.

Such as?

>Cared about Kaneki and his troubles with settling into the ghoul life
This, it was so much better when it was just about that.

Kaneki was a very talented ghoul all along, getting tortured by Jason was his wake up call

why do you want him to squander his talent?

I'm talking about manga Kaneki here of course

anime Kaneki is a completely different character

>sudden dramatic shift in a character's personality
You were completely wrong if you thought Kaneki was going to stay like that/act like an edgelord 24/7

He is still the same kind-hearted person and only goes insane when he has to fight someone strong
and this isn't actually a battle manga at all, there are few battles and they don't last very long

torturing Kaneki just gave him motivation to be strong, that is all

That's where it was interesting. It was why I started reading it.

You can have fights and you can have him be strong it just doesn't need to be the main focus.

it isn't the main focus at any point in the manga

Kaneki is still extremely different than when he isn't going insane to fight stronger people. And the cause is the torture scene. I wouldn't call that character development at all.

You cannot say there isn't a stronger focus on fights post Rescue Kaneki arc.

not really, especially as Kaneki gets his shit kicked in most of the time

You guys sound like you'd absolutely love :re

Kaneki turns completely back into his former black-haired self, no longer uses his kagune during fights and is all around a massive pussy and jobber
also plays CCG family with Arima and Akira

it's adorable

>Kaneki before the Jason torture:Normal,non edgy personality
>Kaneki after the torture:I am the edgiest ghoul in Tokyo

Fuck you Ishida.This is not how it works you fucking idiot.

Just because the MC loses doesn't mean there isn't more focus on action. As soon as ghouls were divided into 3 different types with different strengths and weaknesses the manga became more action oriented.

Reverting back isn't good as well. My only complaint is when the "character development" happens super fast and completely changes the character.

Again, I'm not even only talking about TG. I'm talking about anime and manga as a whole.

Another example, is Hosei no Kuni's main character. After that one winter she's completely different with barely any of her original personality left.

I'm also not saying the direction is bad, it just happens too fast.

To be fair, a torture victim in real life would be nothing like their former self

Yes and I wouldn't say that person has developed either.

>I am the edgiest ghoul in Tokyo
right

Pretty much this. Shit got worse and just became powerlevels shonen manga since sequel started.
Too bad Kaneki is the ultimate special snowflake now he has defeated Mr Gary Stu.

Root was a fucking trainwreck. also Tokyo Ghoul is a fucking shonen, fuck them for labeling it as seinen
soundtrack gave me feels

yeah l don't know what these faggots are blabbering about

post torture kaneki is still a mild mannered nerd most of the time, he didn't turn into sasuke

>watching the anime
>shonen
>feels
get the fuck out

>Too bad Kaneki is the ultimate special snowflake now he has defeated Mr Gary Stu.
are you an idiot?

Arima killed himself, both literally and figuratively, he trained up Kaneki just so Kaneki could kill him

sorry your little shitfest is meant for kids who don't understand depth and meaning beyond fighting

The ghouls are villains, and they're still free. CCG are the most pitiful heroes in any series if they can't just get rid of these fake people.

Also, emo Kaneki was the worst thing they could have done to him. White hair, black nails, and that ridiculous insanity shit? Totally not Jason 2.0 with a smile, no way.

I'm sorry that you don't understand the concept of a demographic.

Try wikipedia next time.

CCG is a puppet organization of V, a large ghoul syndicate

People often get set in their ways. When they happens, it usually takes a very substantial amount of stimuli to dig them out, and when it finally does they'll usually change significantly in a short period of time. Tokyo Ghoul has issues but Kaneki's development in particular is executed just fine, your post doesn't say anything bad about the manga so much as it does about your own level as a reader.

If any work is published in a shonen magazine, it is called shonen manga. Tokyo Ghoul is only "seinen" because of that thing.
In any case I agree with you. Tokyo Kushu is no better than your average shonen manga.

>Totally not Jason 2.0 with a smile, no way
well yeah, hence the fingercracking

are you retarded?

Ishida changed Kaneki's personality because underage retards moaned that the MC is a beta faggot.This is why I hate when an author try to please normies fans

>Tokyo Ghoul unironically being too deep for you
I pity the complainers in this thread.

>Ishida changed Kaneki's personality because underage retards moaned that the MC is a beta faggot
source: my ass

>changed Kaneki's personality
see >emo Kaneki
see

Are you?
I never said that Kaneki killed him but defeated his overpowered butthole.
Improve your reading comprehension skills TG enabler.

>People often get set in their ways. When they happens, it usually takes a very substantial amount of stimuli to dig them out, and when it finally does they'll usually change significantly in a short period of time.
Change also can happen slowly alongside a traumatic event like in Real.

>Tokyo Ghoul has issues but Kaneki's development in particular is executed just fine, your post doesn't say anything bad about the manga so much as it does about your own level as a reader.
I dropped the manga after the Rescue Kaneki arc because I felt it became to action oriented and was showing signs of becoming a manga that I wouldn't like. Only used his picture because he's the most popular character I can think of who had a shift in character.

>lazy writing
Shit thread, as expected of TGshitters.

ITT: people who don't understand what character development is

What is character development?

>muh killed vs defeated semantics
Arima let himself get defeated was my point, you dumb fuck

changing hair color back and forth?

It can happen in either fashion yes, and either one is correct when done properly.

The OP not only implied that Kaneki's shifts in character were bad, but made the frankly idiotic claim that any substantial shift in personality in a short period is not only lazy writing but also not character development.

Ishida just uses that as a symbol of change

which is why Suzuya is also black-haired now

ITT: user who believes lazy-shitty writing is good

But he didn't let himself get defeated, he tried his hardest to win, and was unable to, suffering defeat. He was defeated before he slashed his throat.

>not enjoying :re's 40 full chapters of E D G Y W A R S

OP here.

>when done properly
What do you mean by done properly?

>but made the frankly idiotic claim that any substantial shift in personality in a short period is not only lazy writing but also not character development.
If character development is just about anything happening to the character that changes him then sure it is character development.
It still feels like lazy writing when in anime and manga most characters stay exactly the same and or they make some huge shift over the course of an episode or a chapter.

>he tried his hardest to win

guys, just look how edgy this is

>what I said is wrong but I still FEEL like my opinion is right
>my FEELINGS can't possibly be wrong can they?

>story about ghouls who live in a human society
>ghouls eat humans
>humans have an organization to hunt down ghouls
Honestly how could you not see wars and fighting coming?

>what I said is wrong but I still THINK that my opinion is right
>my THOUGHTS can't possibly be wrong can they?
Look I can do it too.

Also opinions can't be right or wrong, so way to go buddy.

You already admitted your claim in the OP is wrong, but you still "feel" like Tokyo Ghoul is lazy.

Where did I say I "thought" anything? I stated an objective fact: That people in real life can change in major shifts, not just gradually.

In the case of Kaneki I really enjoyed his transformation because it was much better than the classic beta MC, it was a sudden ¨development¨ but it was interesting at least.

However, now his ¨evolution¨ it´s a fucking joke, he goes from crazy bastard to nice guy as fast as his hair goes from black to white and all that thing with the white hair was cool the first time becasue all the fucking stress of the torture. Then it was black and white because who knows, then black because of the blood(?) and now white again because why not? I´ts cool.

So, the torture and all that shit was a bit too much but was fine, now it´s just an excuse to keep the development of the character, in other words, shittier life, better development.

It's almost like me thinking the writing is lazy is an opinion which is completely independent of whether or not certain things qualify as character development or not.

And It's still lazy writing to me. Especially when the author never makes an attempt at changing a character slowly or when the only way characters change is through major shifts in a work of fiction.

After Kaneki got serious, he got serious too.

Kirishishit's ruined the Cocklea arc with their massive plot armor. Arima suicide is just the topping of the cake.

I watched like 3 episodes, and dropped it. I couldn't stand to watch another story about a beta obtaining powers which enable him to not be a bitch. It was just such a self indulgent nerd fantasy.

The show seemed gay af, and getting tortured doesn't turn you into an edgelord, I knew someone who was kidnapped at a young age and had barbwire wrapped around his legs, he was pretty fucked up, but a nice guy also see john mccain.

It's almost like you linked the two opinions when you made them together in the same retarded OP.

What it is to you is of no consequence to me, I was just making it clear from what you stated in the OP that you're an idiot.

Dude, you do know that the torture happened nonstop in the span of 10 days with someone who was already dealing with a shit load of stress right? And it was a impossible for humans torture too.

>Just because the MC loses doesn't mean there isn't more focus on action. As soon as ghouls were divided into 3 different types with different strengths and weaknesses the manga became more action oriented.
>3 types
>I havent actually read tokyo ghoul
You realize they were talking about the names of kagunes and the like way before Kaneki's rescue arc, the little info dump also happened before the rescue arc and there are 4 types right?

Before being tortured Kaneki was a pussy too scarred of taking the iniciative and killing someone. Being tortured while watching how Jason killed the mom-son/couple made him realize he never was going to achieve anything if he was too scarred to face his problems.

>and this isn't actually a battle manga at all
stop lying retard

The last episode of the first season was literally a master piece. The suffering and character development and the therapy that Rize gave him was top tier. It would be a spoiler but I'm thinking about showing my sister this edgy episode to get her into anime.

>Tokyo ghoul will forever have these kinds of threads because of the anime

Ghoul is definitely a battle manga. I can agree with your other points but you're an idiot if you think it's not a battle manga.

>Other ghouls got scared of this.
???
This part was fucking stupid.

Pierrot fucking up
More news at 11

>tfw Kaneki MAGIC hair follows the five stages of grief

Black Kaneki: Denial
White Kaneki:Anger
Sasaki:Bargaining
Black Kaneki 2.0: Depression
White Kaneki 2.0: Acceptance

I wish best boy didn't die

>Six investigators can fight hundreds of ghouls at once and survive
This part was also fucking stupid

Back to Tumblr with you shitposter-kunt.

He didn't deserve that shit. Ishida is constantly too cruel to investigators.

I had to facepalm.

>shitposter-kunt
This is now officially a regular TG thread

I miss those chapters

>change hair color
>cut hair dramatically

It seems character development is associated with capilars. Do bald characters get no development or are they in their ultimate phase of development already?

Why is RizexKaneki the best possible ship?

Only if you have shit taste.