The saviours of anime, according to Miyazaki

>EW - Is CGI going to destroy 2-D in the end?

>MIYAZAKI - I'm actually not all that worried. I wouldn't give up on it completely. Once in a while there are strange, rich people who like to invest in odd things. You're going to have people in corners of garages [making cartoons] to please themselves. And I'm more interested in the people who hang out in corners of garages than I am in big business.

nausicaa.net/miyazaki/interviews/ew.html

Where are these people Miyazaki speaks of?

Other urls found in this thread:

sakuga.yshi.org/post/show/23076/animals-animal_treasure_island-animated-creatures-
sakuga.yshi.org/post/show/4810/animated-hayao_miyazaki-lupin_iii-running-smears
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instant_History
articles.latimes.com/2009/aug/29/entertainment/et-book29
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Why Sup Forums is the only place EVER to activelly hate and antagonize Myazaki?

it's a meme u dip

and people fall for memes all the time

Because Sup Forums is full of people who actually like Moeshit and Miyazaki thinks Moeshit is ruining the industry.

Because he hates anime.

No, you should know that every time on this site when people pretend to be retarded, with time other people actually start believing on it and try to fit in by emulating.

yeah that's what I was talking about when I said
>and people fall for memes all the time
There are people who genuinely think the memesubs of his interviews are real

Any community that gets its laughs by pretending to be idiots will eventually be flooded by actual idiots who mistakenly believe that they're in good company.

and all that stuff

Go back to red dit then

Because pretty much everything he makes is shit and he has a terrible attitude towards otaku.

>Where are these people Miyazaki speaks of?
in their garages, duh. weren't you paying attention?

The people was talking about.

>muh japanese disney movies
They're shit. Just face it.

I think as a person he used to be smart with some stupid insecurities but as of late became an insufferable asshole. His comments about otaku and perversion are and always have been deeply hypocritical since he's always been friends with Hideaki Anno, a man who unironically loves Strike Witches.

THAT SAID. As a creator he's done some really good things and his hardcore haters are some of the most autistic shitheads on earth. He's not the best, but very good. I wish he made more genuinely honest works like Nausicaa that actually reflect his view of reality and not insincere pandering.

Future Boy Conan and his early work on things like Animal Treasure Island are very interesting because they're a younger Miyazaki who wasn't afraid to make things that are fun for the sake of being fun.

His actually-good works are absolutely nothing like Disney on any level. You're just as stupid as the "all anime except Miyazaki and Grave of the Fireflies is shit" normies that you hate and your understanding of animation is just as bad.

Basically if you think something like the message at the end of the Nausicaa manga could have come out of a Disney movie you're delusional.

But I doubt you "do I fit in yet" autists even read that.

Hotaru no Haka is the only good movie he ever made but it's still shit compared to something like Kaguya-hime.

>manga

>has a terrible attitude towards otaku
how is that a bad thing
Anno hates Otaku too. Everyone with a brain does.

This guy is off his fucking rocker, Jesus christ.

He's an incredibly overrated director whose films are only talked about here because they're considered "safe" enough for Disney to market in the US.
There's no reason for him to be considered the face of "anime for the masses" when people like Satoshi Kon and Yasuhiro Yoshiura, who made films that feel like "film" rather than animation, exist.

Very talented mangaka and animator, though. The problem is that people take this as a justification for his inability to direct properly.

Also if you want to know what actual "Disney anime" is like watch The Legend of Sirius and other similar Sanrio films.

Start developing actual discerning taste and a sense of observation instead of acting like a contrarian robot and hoping people will interpret that as having taste.

Otaku is what keeps the industry alive. If you hate moe you can go fuck yourself.

Takahata made Grave of the Fireflies you stupid faggot. Also Kaze Tachinu is far better then fucking Grave of the Fireflies.

>He fell for the trollsubs
>Moeshit

>Kaze Tachinu
Sorry, I don't watch anti-nationalistic globalist propaganda.

Hope he die soon.

>Otaku is what keeps the industry alive
How does that justify the loss of their lives for futile useless shit? Also it's not like the industry couldn't live without the retarded otaku.
>If you hate moe you can go fuck yourself
lol

>Kaze Tachinu
>globalist
What kool aid have you been drinking neo-Sup Forums?

Hotarubi no Mori e
Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo
Sakasama no Patema
Summer Wars
Suzumiya Haruhi no Shoushitsu
Kotonoha no Niwa

All much better than Miyazaki

>anti-nationalistic globalist propaganda
did you even watch the movie?

Anno hates otaku as well user.

>Anno hates otaku

Since when?

Anno cares about otaku that is why he gets mad when normalfags talk shit about them and tries to tell them to change their self destructive ways.

You know Kaguya but you think Miyazaki directed Fireflies?

The fuck is wrong with you nigger?
Anno IS an otaku, you moron. As I said, the guy unironically likes Strike Witches.
>that feel like "film" rather than animation
That's fucking retarded dude. If Kon just made live action films but in animation he would be garbage.

I dunno about Yasuhiro Yoshiura, I can't watch his stuff because I loathe how it looks.

didn't miyazaki praise a pixar movie because he sympathizes with the MC?

if i remember correctly, it was UP.

>Lol

Underage/10

>Anno cares about otaku that is why he gets mad when normalfags talk shit about them and tries to tell them to change their self destructive ways.
Exactly this.

Anno criticizes otaku because he IS one and he just wants to tell them that it's possible to be a nerd but still have a wide variety of interests and open yourself up to the world regardless. The guy is a successful artist with a wife and kids but he also watches moeshit fanservice anime and collects tokusatsu toys.

He doesn't like normal people who condescendingly go "ew nerds".

>Very talented mangaka and animator, though.

He's not. Nausicaa the manga is poorly edited and looks like a claustrophobic clusterfuck most of the time. Miyazaki himself says that he considers himself a mediocre mangaka.

As far as animation goes, he can understand basic movements and how to draw them, but unlike others with the same understanding like Iso and Yoshinari and hell even his protege Anno, Miyazaki's animation is dry and flavorless, made even worse by the fact that he forces so many more talented animators like Kanada and Shinya Ohira to draw in his boring-ass animation style in movies.

What makes Miyazaki stand out are his artistic style and very sharp attention to detail, which very few others have in the anime industry. Those who do tend to work as mangaka, like Miura or Nagano.

I love to see plebs and autists rail against miyazaki. Studio Ghibli and its body of work are unrivaled and perhaps the greatest thing to ever happen to the anime industry. It was a massive shame to see them close their doors.

>the greatest thing to ever happen to the anime industry

Except they were never part of it you moron.

Also the most successful.

Lucky Star and Haruhi are what made anime good. Who gives a shit about Ghibli except for normals and little kids?

kek

He's a very good animator dude. I agree that his approach to animation direction is too conservative but it wasn't always like that; he actually gave Kanada quite a bit of freedom to use his style early on in Kiki and Nausicaa.

I also think he's held back by his style and conservativeness a lot. But have you seen his older animation? sakuga.yshi.org/post/show/23076/animals-animal_treasure_island-animated-creatures- Look at this especially 0:30

Or this sakuga.yshi.org/post/show/4810/animated-hayao_miyazaki-lupin_iii-running-smears

He can make good loose animation but as I said he's too afraid to use anything but the safe style that made him famous worldwide.

But he still animates very fucking well and has a high-level understanding of it.

>it's possible to be a nerd but still have a wide variety of interests and open yourself up to the world regardless.
that's the thing , being a nerd was having an obsession with an esoteric hobby to the point of being a social pariah, to only way to being a nerd and do all that would be to change the definition, which I guess society did. I think we just call the people we use to call nerds a few decades autists. makes me wonder if calling yourself autistic will become trendy in a couple decades.

I like Tezuka more than Miyazaki both as a person and a creator but something tells me the people who shit on Miyazaki also hate Tezuka.

Newfag detected

I think there's a difference between "I'm playing Call of Duty, I'm such a geek xDDDD" types and someone like Anno who's a successful person but also genuinely really into nerdy shit. The man has a very high amount of knowledge of shit like Ultraman and ancient low-budget western sci-fi TV series and watches things that normal people would find disgusting or even immoral like Strike Witches.

He's clearly being sarcastic dude.
>having a style means you're not anime
Hahahaha you fucking mongoloid

Anno being a huge nerd is no secret and neither are his efforts to improve the lives of other otaku. The people that say that Anno hates otaku are provably crossboarders and fedora tippers that have no idea of what they are talking.

Of course many otaku get annoyed by his nagging but he doesn't give up on them because he understands them and wants something better for them.

Miyazaki's films are way more successful. Tezuka is remembered mostly as a mangaka.

>He can make good loose animation but as I said he's too afraid to use anything but the safe style that made him famous worldwide.

No, his older animation is more wild because TV anime have lower frame rates than movies, meaning that movements had to be more erratic and less subtle to get their point across. The only exception to this was Cagliostro, which doesn't really count because it's just an extension of how he animated for the Lupin TV series.

Ghibli is a studio that does whatever the hell Miyazaki wants it to. He's not holding anything back when he makes movies there, and I doubt he gives a shit about his global reputation when he openly shits on Disney and the west 24/7.

He really dislikes Otaku culture and Otakus are what make moe series able to profitable.

No? LS and Haruhi were defining series that made anime into what it is today.

>wants something better for them.
they are not going to find it in society.

His comment doesn't mean he thinks all 3D is garbage and everything that uses CGI is shit.
You should spend a little less time on Sup Forums bro.

1. It's a meme.
2. Miyazaki peaked in 2001 with Spirited Away and stuck around making half-baked projects.
3. Part of Sup Forums knows that Miyazaki is right, but thinks that anyone made for a broad, non-Otaku audience is normie shit.

>Otaku is what keeps the industry alive.
If all Otaku died, anime producers would merely shift focus to another target audience.

But Tezuka is far more successful than Miyazaki, because he has TV anime and manga to back him up. Not to mention a hundred times more influential to anime than Miyazaki will ever be. Without Tezuka, there would be no Miyazaki. Remove Miyazaki's existence, and not much in the anime industry would change.

I like Tezuka, but I've always though Miyazaki was a bad director in desperate need of an editor and constantly reuses the same visual choreography and characters.

Takahata is still the best director at Ghibli. He's able to tell more stories than Miyazaki, has a far more grandiose idea of how to utilize animation, and has a larger cast of diverse characters than Miyazaki.

A lot of Miyazaki dick riders don't even realize that a lot of the movies they attribute to Miyazaki are actually Takahata films.

>No, his older animation is more wild because TV anime have lower frame rates than movies, meaning that movements had to be more erratic and less subtle to get their point across.
God damn dude I agree with your preference for animators like Kanada and Ohira and your criticism of Miyazaki's conservativeness but you're very ignorant.

1. Lupin was based on an extremely cartoony manga and thus had cartoony character acting.

2. Animal Treasure Island was a high-budget Toei FILM, not a TV show. Compare its animation to another high-budget film of that time, Horus: Prince of the Sun. The latter is a lot less cartoony.

Cagliostro was a hell of a lot less cartoony than the Red Jacket stuff co-directed by Takahata.

And anime would turn to shit, just like the video game industry that switched their target audience.

>3. Part of Sup Forums knows that Miyazaki is right, but thinks that anyone made for a broad, non-Otaku audience is normie shit.
Anyone who unironically thinks this way is no better than a 2000s teenage goth who thinks he/she is better than everyone else

>he has TV anime
So has Miyazaki.
>and manga
What is Nausicaa?
>without Tezuka, there would be no Miyazaki
That's completely wrong.

Tezuka is important for manga, not for anime.

>improve the lives of other otaku.

By doing what, selling them more Rei and Asuka figures and Entry Plug dildos?

I agree that Takahata is better than Miyazaki but that doesn't make Miyazaki bad.

Anime is already pretty terrible, so...?

>That's completely wrong.

>Tezuka is important for manga, not for anime.
You're full of shit, man. The techniques used by Astro Boy & other early Tezuka anime were very influential and the influence of Tezuka's art style on anime art was also colossal.

Miyazaki acts smug over Tezuka but his character design style would be radically different if Tezuka never became huge.

>Tezuka is important for manga, not for anime.

Guess who made the first ever popular TV anime and set the standards for the entire industry.

Not really. We had shows like Flying Witch and REEE:Zero this season.

No, Miyazaki's inability to cut the fat from his movies, his constant reuse of the same plot lines and character stories, stilted animation, and general sameness that persists throughout his films are what makes him bad.

Porco Rosso is really the only time he went wild and did something different.

good point

He is more popular in the west and among normalfags but neither of them are a vital part of the industry. Sure he is a big name there is no way of deny it but you give him way to much credit.

Astro Boy wasn't the first anime. Also, he mostly just criticized Tezuka and his idea of animation.

Miyazaki characters don't look like Tezuka characters.

>What is Nausicaa?

A manga that barely sold over 10 million copies worldwide, is nearly unknown in the west, and the only fully finished manga series Miyazaki did that wasn't a one-shot.

The way Miyazaki draws faces is extremely blatantly post-Tezuka.
Tezuka's not a big part of the industry now because he's dead and only garbage like the Buddha movie is being made but his role in influencing anime and manga was colossal.

is that the one with the pig man?

He is also more popular in Japan and among Japanese directors and animators.

>Astro Boy wasn't the first anime

But it was the most influential.

>Miyazaki characters don't look like Tezuka characters.

Funny, because Miyazaki himself burned all his old manga because he said all his characters resembled Tezuka's.

>Cagliostro was a hell of a lot less cartoony than the Red Jacket stuff co-directed by Takahata.
I mean green jacket fuck

>Astro Boy wasn't the first anime
then what was?

>most influential
Not for Miyazaki.
>Funny, because Miyazaki himself burned all his old manga because he said all his characters resembled Tezuka's.
Source?

>Funny, because Miyazaki himself burned all his old manga because he said all his characters resembled Tezuka's.
And yet they still look Tezuka-like. The basic facial structure of his "pretty" characters is and always has been extremely Tezuka.

Miyazaki has far more technical skill than Tezuka, but Tezuka was much better at creating iconic human designs. Totoro is a pretty fantastic and extremely memorable design though I won't lie (and the panda he was based on was also a good early Miyazaki design).

Technically this, but it's just a bunch of short 3-minute episodes using mostly stills.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instant_History

>Miyazaki has far more technical skill than Tezuka

Details =/= technical skill. Miyazaki doesn't understand how paneling and POV works at all, both of which are what made Tezuka a master mangaka.

>Source?

>"When I was finally forced to admit that my drawings actually did look like Tezuka's, I took out the sketches I had stored in the drawer of our dresser and burned them all. I burned them and resolved to start over from scratch, and in the belief that I needed to study the basics first, I went back to practicing drawing and draftsmanship. Yet it still wasn't easy to rid myself of Tezuka's influence."

articles.latimes.com/2009/aug/29/entertainment/et-book29

I'm sorry; I still say "technical skill" to mean "knowledge of anatomy, perspective and general solidity". It's a mistake as it's not something I believe anymore, but I used to and it stuck.

Tezuka had an amazing sense of composition and paneling and I think that's also a technical skill, you're right. But I think Miyazaki draws more solidly.

It literally means that he destroyed his early works influenced by Tezuka.

Also as I said I think Tezuka is better at creating iconic designs with specific silhouettes and shapes.

Really there's a lot of stuff I used to put under the umbrella of "subjective style" even though I later realized it's objectively measurable and technical.

And yet he admits that he still couldn't get rid of that influence.

Too bad what influenced him wasn't Tezuka's brilliant composition, but his art style.

But Tezuka's art style was great. Miyazaki just didn't pick the best elements of it.

Miyazaki isn't exactly a manga guy. His only longer manga is Nausicaa, and it's one of the best manga out there.

Anno has kids? Since when?

Like really I understand not being a fan, but if you think Tezuka had an outright BAD art style you probably just dislike cartoony things.

I don't like reading serious stories with cartoonish art styles. It's hard to take them seriously when they look like Western cartoons.

I think he used it well when he was doing older series with simpler designs like Future Boy Conan, but once he started making movies with more complicated background and mechanical designs, he lost sight of the right balance between them because he still kept using the same dated featureless character designs. The worst offender was Howl's Moving Castle.

I might be wrong.

>it's one of the best manga out there.

It's competent and balanced, but far from the best.

Which manga is better?

Because Miyazaki is right and most on Sup Forums like moeshit.

Better what? Setting? Characters? Plot? Panel arrangement?

I can name a ton, especially the last one because Nausicaa had some of the worst panel arrangement in any manga ever. What kept Nausicaa afloat was its distinct art style and fairly strong plot. Which is ironic considering how horrible Miyazaki is with plots.