What's the consensus on diebuster?

What's the consensus on diebuster?
Great sequel or fancy flcl bullshit that's so far up it's own wacky aesthetic that it completely misses the mark of what made gunbuster interesting in the first place?

Product of it's time oder missunderstood masterpiece?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=HusokNYOPSY
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Good sequel, product of the time, misunderstood.

What rubbed me the wrongest way was that it was so obvious it was by the flcl director.
So gainax went through three generations Anno, FLCL dude and imaishi with flcl dude being the weakest link.

>It's everything a sequel should be. And it's better than Diebuster.
I agree, gunbuster is really better than diebuster.

GROOOOOOOOVIN' MAGIC

Tsurumaki isn't bad. I think the best thing he's done was FLCL. His episodes of other Gainax shows also tend to be among my favorites.

Of course, then there are the Rebuilds.

It's not a sequel, more of a reference series if anything. Diebuster is a completely new story that happens to exist in the same universe as Gunbuster.

It's a fantastic animation that was ahead of it's time

Gurren Lagann is conceptually a better shot at a gunbuster 2 than the real gunbuster 2.
It's basically the same theme
>mankind sealed itself off from higher access to technology because big threat from outside
>lost technology aquired
>lost technology saves the day but only because of HARD WORK AND GUTS
Gurren Lagann was basically imaishi's fuck you to Tsurumaki.

Tsurumaki worked on Gurren Lagann, though.

I know I sound weird for saying this, but I remember there were these jelly beanbag chairs the crew of some ship were sitting in that could also act as protective shields and I think that's one of the coolest sci-fi inventions ever

>It's a fantastic animation that was ahead of it's time
FLCL was arguably better animated and I don't see what's supposed to be ahead of it's time in diebuster, but feel free to elaborate, maybe I'm missing something.

It's great. God tier OP too.

Most of the time I see people love one but have no strong opinion of the other.
While I somewhat enjoyed Gunbuster, I loved Diebuster way more. I liked the more wacky, outspoken personalities and I found Noriko, Onee-sama, and Coach kind of annoying.

There are a lot of little things like that in Gun/Die to appreciate.

I don't, but I also like the 70s.

No shit, he's gainax. He did storyboards and key animation in a few episodes. He didnt direct it or write it though. Diebuster and FLCL are the things where he directed and created the original concept.

>Great sequel or fancy flcl bullshit that's so far up it's own wacky aesthetic that it completely misses the mark of what made gunbuster interesting in the first place?
I just finished Gunbuster, and loved it. But I absolutely hated almost everything about FLCL.

Should I even bother with it?

And I really doubt, based on that, that Imaishi was harboring any ill intentions against him.

Do you like Gurren Lagann?

Diebuster is basically a different series. But its also not nearly as LOLSORANDUM as FLCL

Well no. But it's quite obvious that it's his own version of a gunbuster sequel, only with swapped genders.
Imaishi also did key animation on diebuster.
So their roles were reversed for diebuster and gl

I guess you could say that; other would argue about Getter Robo fervently.

FLCL guy is good. Anno is his weakest link, go figure.

>What's the consensus on diebuster?

That you should watch it and form your opinion. You should also lurk 2 years before posting.

Nice rec thread

Nothing about this thread is a request.

Better than gunbuster, 7/10

I had mixed feelings about it. The world-building is shit compared to Gunbuster and NGE, and nearly every single fight gets resolved with some kind of asspull. That said, I enjoyed the animation and soundtrack. The characters weren't nearly as irritating as FLCL's.

>But I absolutely hated almost everything about FLCL.
Main reason I couldn't get into diebuster.
Having Lal'c drive around on a motorscooter in episode 1 was such a self-masturbatory "HEY REMEMBER FLCL? MY ZANY THING IS GIRLS ON SCOOTERS! moment.
Basically if you hate FLCL diebuster will be fucking painful to watch for you, it's still a good anime though, but you will loathe the fucking thing 90 percent of the time while having to admit it's a pretty good anime, if you just were more into that fucking style it's done in.

Sure it's not buddy. "Muh consensus" threads always are in one way or another and are always fucking cancer.

I recommend killing yourself, and you should respect my consensus.

Diebuster loosely shares worldbuilding with Gunbuster, just on a stylistic tangent. Give it a try, I guess.

Anno > Imaishi > Tsurumaki
Eva > FLCL > Tengen Toppa

The FLCL style is one of my favorite styles of all time, so of course I loved anything like that. The story of Diebuster was also an improvement from Gunbuster, I felt.

Dunno. I feel like FLCL guy lacks substance and tries to make up for it with being wishy washy.
Anno tries to be deep and shocking, Imaishi tries to be over the top and hyper and flcl dude is just "meh whatever" and tries to make things interesting by making them vague or having characters talk over shots of power lines, trees or upside down houses. Basically a gen x anime director.

Pretty much.

Anno > Tsurumaki > Imaishi

>Eva > FLCL > Tengen Toppa
Gunbuster/Eva > Gurren Lagann > Panty Stocking > Diebuster > FLCL.

Flcl is just horseshit. Its animated super well, but that's about it.

>spoonfeeding
>lurk 2 more years before posting
>nice rec thread

The tryhard trinity, this is a rare sight.

Well, the style is the substance. I mean, the overall direction, animation techniques, voice direction, that sort of thing.

People talking over power lines is much more of an Anno hallmark than anything.

What has Tusurmaki done, other than FLCL and fucking up the rebuilds?

I completely disagree.

Eva > FLCL > TTGL > Diebuster > Gunbuster > PSG

Shoulda called it flclbuster!

Diebuster, episode direction on other shows.

Diebuster > Panty > Eva > Gun > FLCL > TTGL
TTGL was complete garbage desu. At least Kill la Kill and Ryuuko and Satsuki foil. The rest is just personal taste.

Hono no Tenkosei > Appleseed

That's what really matters.

What I like about gunbuster was the pop hard scifi elements and the sense of dread from the space fights that later got turned into a complete 26 episode series with several movies starring charlie brown.
What I liked about diebuster was nono and her story and I would have preferred if some of the stylistic choices were a bit more subtle.
Like the character designs and the whole topless shit.

FLCL > Eva > Gurren Lagann > Diebuster > Gunbuster > Panty and Stocking

It's shit.

Gunbuster was the only good thing Anno created.

Does no one in this thread like Gunbuster more than Diebuster?

>Guren shit
>in a same sentence with Gunbuster

Kill yourself.

Gunbuster > Gurren Lagann > Evangelion > Panty and stocking > Nadia > Royal Space Force > Oruchuban Ebichu > Diebuster > FLCL

You all have awful taste.

I liked it a lot.

>hurr im so contrarian
You are so dense that you missed all the beats because you like being grumpy and disliking stuff that's popular.
I guess in the 80s you would have shat your pants how you dont like gunbuster and everyone has to watch ideon.

calm down autist

You were triggered by someone using two words you didn't like in the same sentence.

I hated every second of Diebuster. It was a complete insult to Gunbuster. I watched it only to able to say I watched it and hated every second of it.

I hope mods will drive this thread down.

You obviously feel very strongly about this.

I liked gunbuster far more.
But I also dislike FLCL, it's just not my thing other than being well animated.

Basically FLCL is like kevin smith directed an anime.
It's something you think is deep when you are a teenager and when you rewatch it as a grown up you find out that it's just metaphors for sex, dicks and pussies and a bunch of rambling inbetween.
But at least FLCL has nice visuals

And there is nothing wrong with that.

Fuck off.

Sperg.

Well neither is with prefering gurren lagann to diebuster.
Sometimes something is really more popular because it's more entertaining to a larger group of people and well made.

If you don't feel strongly about Chinese cartoons you should stop coming here.

This is just my honest opinion.

ITT truth hurts.

>and well made

I hope you aren't implicating that Gurenn was well made.

I wouldn't call it a good sequel but I do call it a good show.

I much prefer it over gun buster.
Better plot, weaker but larger cast of characters. More consistent in that all of it is pretty good while gb was definitely end heavy.

I understand why someone would dislike diebuster because of its over the top attitude but I don't know what people like about the first one.
It feels like it is your typical hipster taste to liking original, older anime. Either that or just because people seen gunbuster first when they were young and view it with nostalgia.

How would you describe Tsurumaki's style? What characterizes his visual direction?

Yes, that's what I'm implying.
Not everyone here needs to be a contrarian shitheel who is so insecure in liking popular things that he has to make all kinds of stupid claims.
Theres a reason gurren lagann is popuarl. It's because it's a enjoyable, well made anime that connected with a lot of people

I'd almost feel sorry for you

Girls on mopeds. And being zany, but not excel saga or puni puni poemi zany but only mildly zany in a bland and flavorless way that existential teenagers might like

The latter

I think that's a pretty terrible comparison. I see what you mean, I just disagree completely.

Not him, but the fact that the thing he's currently known for are the rebuilds speaks volumes.

Kill yourself.

Why is a larger but weaker cast better? How is the plot better?

It has nothing to do with the fact that it's older, and I watched both at pretty much the same time.

You've clearly only seen this and FLCL.

To be honest, I didn't like it that much. The ending, however, made it all worth it and it was goddamn perfect.

Pretty much this. Though if I had to expand it with the other Gainax works:
Eva > FLCL > TTGL > Diebuster > Kare Kano > Wings of Honneamise > Gunbuster > Abenobashi > Nadia > Panty and Stocking > Re: Cutie Honey
The rest doesn't matter.

>What's the consensus on diebuster?
Mixed, as I'm sure is obvious.

Personally, I loved it. I thought it did a great job continuing the "spirit" of the original while exploring its own themes. It felt like the main characters got more development than the original pair and the setting design - characters, costumes, environments, etc. - might the best I've ever seen.

AH AHAH AH

I liked FLCL when I was 14. Recently rewatched it and completely disliked every second of it.

And even back then I couldn't really put into words what I liked about it other than "the atmosphere".
Eva gets that 2deep4u reputation, but I think FLCL reigns supreme as the smug anime expert favourite where nobody can properly describe what they actually like about it other than describing in great detail how it's a "coming of age masterpiece"

Those are pretty unsubstantiated reasons to dislike it.

If I had to go that far
Puchi Puri Yuushi > Diebuster > PSG and the rest I'm not really that passionate about

Rebuilds have a bad script, not bad direction. Plus they fail because they are obscuing a masterpiece. FLCL, Diebuster and I Can Friday by Day are all great with the first two being amazing but I can't really say much anything speficic about Tsurumaki, especially nothing that Imaishi wouldn't do better. I prefer FLCL to anything Imaishi did, but as a director I respect him more.

>You've clearly only seen this and FLCL.
I've seen the rebuilds too.
As far as I can tell other than end of evangelion and the aforementioned he didn't really direct anything. (And no, episode director is something different than directing a entire show)

I loved Gunbuster's last 3 episodes but found the first 3 kinda boring.

Yes it does, when it's a good portion of the show and deviates wildly from the rest.

Well what are reasons to like it?
Literally the clerks of anime.

youtube.com/watch?v=HusokNYOPSY

That's probably because both halves are going off of two different things. I just happen to like both.

Why are you pushing this comparison so much?

Episode 3 is where it gets good.
Especially when noriko first gets into real combat and sumissu is eaten.

>nobody can properly describe what they actually
A mix of over the top absurdity with melancholy. It's wacky but also heart touching at the same time. The plot is masterfuly crafted and it's vague and shattered exposition fits perfectly with the atmosphere but also invokes the atmosphere of confusion you had as a child. That's why we have head horns instead of boners. We know it's kind of related to sex but we still don't exactly get it. In the same way as a kid popping a boner you might have heard of sex or maturity but can't really grasp it at all. In a similar way it's something you're ashamed of but in the end you accept it and maturity can become a powerful tool. On top of all of this there's a creative setting, a colorful cast of characters, great design, coloring (despite being digital), shot composition, animation and the use of all the more zany, post-modern elements made it a perfect anime for the opening of the new century.

>I liked FLCL when I was 14. Recently rewatched it and completely disliked every second of it.
Weird, I thought one strength of FLCL and Diebuster is that they get better on re-watching.

Both contain tons of scenes and foreshadowing in each episode that only makes sense later (although I can see why that results in bad pacing too). Nono splitting things in half, for example.

I like gunbuster more because the ending parts are better and it's more weighty but diebuster has its perks

Also, I didn't expect shitposting this hard for an old show that wasn't one of the really old ones

Sorry this was a grammatical mess, but I think more than english being my second language this happened as an effect of me really loving the show and getting a bit overexcited when I get to talk about it.

Because both things are teenage moodpieces and how much you like them depends very much on your age and nostalgia for them.

Replace randal with mamimi and dante with naota and you got a scene from flcl.

No, I understand.

I agree, my feelings for a show have never changed as drastically with FLCL. Throughout the years it jumped from a 6 to a 10. With Diebuster I rewatched it very shortly after knowing that's the best course of action.

I could not possibly disagree with you more. They are complete opposites.

Exactly my point. It's basically very hard to describe whats so good about it without writing lengthy paragraphs.

What did you expect? You can't judge something by how well fans of it can articulate their own personal opinion.

That's what you are claiming.