Daily Japanese Thread DJT #1593

Cornucopia of Resources / Guide
Read the guide before asking questions.
docs.google.com/document/d/1pKgBm8Aa58mjB1hYhbK-VOPZsRBTXBuPBzw8Xikm2ss/pub?embedded=true

Previous Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ZUIsauEbq14
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

ファッゴトたちは、上下の読み方(「じょうげ」と「うえした」)の違いをおしえて下さい。 また、この両方の言葉の使い方は、ルールがあるの?
よろしく。

When does it air?

12.5 hours

djt off to a good start.

This thread is way less active than the usual for some reason.

だよね..

theoretically if one learned the ~2000 jyuyou kanji and mastered most of the grammar in the available textbooks as well as their vocab plus 6k, would jlpt1 be passable or is it even beyond that?

N1 actually isn't passable if you haven't lived in Japan for at least 10 years. And that's not counting studying for about 2 years at home.

You have to learn words and actually read and listen

Fuccobi here,

A few threads ago I came in here for the first time to start on my nipponese learning adventure. I've now memorized all the Kana/Hiragana and am going to move towards grammar and anki kanji. I've run into some problems though, mostly on approach.

After listening to the jpopdcast thing that was in the guide resources, they suggest learning radicals first since they're building blocks of kanji and will likely make learning future kanji much easier than individually. But anons suggested learning grammar first. Some other annons said fuck grammar, go kanji. And other anons still, suggested both. But nobody suggested radicals.

Wat do from here? Just finished grinding kana/gana, what do you guys think is the best next step?

I've met several people who passed it within 5-6 years of study

Theoretically, that's exactly what JLPT is supposed to test: you knowing jouyou kanji and all the grammar textbooks can teach you.
But in addition to that you need to have enough experience with reading, you won't be able to go through reading section without a decent reading speed and comprehension, and you wont have that if you just cram kanji and grammar.

Unless you plan to write, "learning" radicals consists of reading their wikipedia page and looking at them shits in a table for a couple of hours as you don't have to actually memorize any information about them and just be able to recognize shapes.
After that start grinding 2k, reading tyler kimchi and trying to decipher Yotsuba like everyone here did.

The first thing you need to do is develop the ability to make your own decisions and not listen to whatever faggot is new and bored enough to reply to you on Sup Forums.

SAUCE????

Don't go out of your way to learn radicals first.

You'll learn them naturally over the course of time and probably eventually remember kanji as a combination of radicals - which is a useful skill - and it'd be useful in two people talking about how a kanji should be written but learning just radicals first when you know no kanji will just fuck you over.

It's like learning cursive handwriting immediately after learning the ABCs. It's technically a skill that might be useful but what the fuck are you doing learning that first when you don't even know the language?

>It's like learning cursive handwriting

Now you started some shit.

I think there's a fundamental difference between making your own decision and seeking out advice from someone who knows more than you do and has already done what you want to do. Clearly you're not one of those people if you don't have the ability to differentiate between the two yourself.

So I guess my next step is basically just grinding 2k while touching on grammar, huh?

>But anons suggested learning grammar first.
There's no reason you can't do both at the same time.

This is stupid advice. Learning radicals in isolation takes very little time and makes the process of learning kanji (recognition or writing) much easier.

It also helps immensely to have a name to associate each radical with as opposed to knowing them all as "oh, that one".

No shit.
>And other anons still, suggested both. But nobody suggested radicals.

I hate to be that guy, but I'm gonna need sauce on that m8.

Perhaps that's because learning radicals is part of learning kanji...

This is kinda what I was thinking. There's not a terrible amt of radicals and each of them seems to be a sort of building block of a kanji, so for example if you were struggling to remember what a certain kanji was, you'd notice it had the tree radical and then suddenly "to rest" would trigger in your memory, but what do I know.

im almost there anons, ive almost completely memorized hiragana and katakana without messing up. Soon i will move to kanji and learn words, i am excited

残念賞 ;_;

Search "sailor warrior akko giantess"

It should be the first result.

Source on OP webm is Kounai Shasei 03.
Found it with the webm but don't remember how.
Don't thank me, it's shit.

little did user suspect that learning words might not do much to teach him the actual japanese language

How does /djt/ make money?

We are all 引きこもり, user.

I don't.

Prepare to relearn katakana due to disuse.
And remember how you feel right now if you want to keep yourself motivated.

Good luck, user!

籍売った

beating up nerds in the schoolyard

I j-just want to read some Chinese cartoons, should i start on something else before learning random kanji through aniki?

>sit on my ass in 詰所
>watch アニメ all day
>get ゼニ
Easy fuckin life

Yeah, you need to harvest stem cells off Japanese babies and consume them to rewire your brain with new tissue capable of storing Japanese.
Otherwise it's fucking 無理

i'm autistic

the only real 100% confirmed way to learn japanese is watch subbed anime constantly and let the knowledge seep into your brain

there are more kanji in yotsuba than cells in the human body

強盗

通報しますた

I'm almost done going through kanjidamage but I've been noticing there's a metric fuckton of super common and useful kanji not taught on there.

Where do I look these up to learn them? I don't want to use heisig or whatever and wanikani sucks.

i think you meant しました

Use Anki and Core 2k like a real man.

It only took 2 years. Why do I still suck at moon senpais?

Think back at how you "learn" kanji on KD:
You see, say, 時.
KD guy points out it consists of 日 and 寺 as if you can't fucking see that yourself and gives you some asinine mnemonic to tie the two.

What part of that process you can't do by yourself, exactly?

They say once you master Japanese, instantly you will get rich. Is that true?

何ができるdjt

何も出来ない

Not sure if this is an appropriate question for this thread but fuck it, I'll ask anyway.

What music do you guys listen to while studying?

>609I can't stop imagining fu(...).pngI can't stop imagining future trunks fucking that (not) little girl and making her addicted to his cock.png (705 KB, 831x76

I just listen to whatever. I don't use anki anymore these days but back when I did I still listened to whatever I liked. I don't buy into the "lyrics will confuse your brain" bullshit.

I've been listening to Tomoe Takizawa and honeydip recently.

youtube.com/watch?v=ZUIsauEbq14

The only Japanese reading I do is on panda. Does it count as reading practice?

traditional koto and shamisen music while wearing my yukata and eating a bento

you aren't supposed to stimulate that head

In animal crossing a bulletin board post just uses 5ちょうめの to list a hidden furniture. How am I supposed to know rows from columns?

But that's the only way I can motivate myself to read with my lacking japanese

>you fell for the RTK meme

fool me once

丁目 just refers to the area - they're always placed haphazardly for the most part, in my experience.

at what age did the youngest gaijin passed n1?

i passed it 6 days before my 9th birthday in showa 69

oh woops hehe

おはようおにちゃん

室温が35.5度、湿度が68%

もくよくしないと

ねっちゅうしょうでいのちをおとすかもしれない

いっしょにおみずあびよ

エアコン買え

アイスを食べながらエロゲやろう

>japanese can't survive 25C up
Jesus Christ that's just pathetic

Is there a caps lock equivalent in Japanese? How do I yell in my text

What?

just stick a っつってんだろうぉが!! on the end of whatever you're saying

>居た堪らない
Is this Dekinai-chan's second favorite word?

Dekinai doesn't know that word, she never learned Japanese.

I've lived in japan a while.

If anything i need to learn more grammar and vocab and kanji.

Of what i know i can read and.speal fairly well

Half-width katakana.

サイカデリク!

>ファッゴトたち
Read more.

>Learning radicals in isolation takes very little time and makes the process of learning kanji (recognition or writing) much easier.
Don't believe Kanji Damage's lies.
Learning radicals before learning jouyou is a waste of time. You should at least KNOW what they are and what part they play at constructing kanji. There are a _lot_ of radical constructs which make no sense whatsoever so don't expect to guess the kanji from the radicals alone; there's no magical formula.
Invest your time into focusing on the jouyou first, then when you're about halfway of kanjis learned (6th grade - about 1000 kanji) start your jukugo vocabulary.
Guessing jukugo meanings by their kanji makes a LOT more sense than guessing kanji meanings by their radicals.
Don't waste your time on radicals.

knowing radicals helps you make meaningful mnemonics to memorize kanji. that's the only reason to really be aware of them at all.

>Learning radicals before learning jouyou is a waste of time.

>Learning ~200 extremely simple and easy symbols over the span of a week that you're going to be seeing everywhere from now on
>Learning ~2000 complicated symbols with poor guidance and poor advice on what things about them you should memorize and what memorizing them is good for

>There are a _lot_ of radical constructs which make no sense whatsoever so don't expect to guess the kanji from the radicals alone; there's no magical formula.

Learning the radicals is not strictly about recognizing the radical concepts or phonetic connections in kanji. Learning the radicals also forces the brain to wire itself to recognize squiggles, and it does so in a much lower stress environment than learning words.

>He thinks memorizing kanji in isolation is useful
>jukugo AFTER the first 1k kanji, not DURING
Consider killing yourself so that you never try to give advice to autodidacs again.

Where does memorizing single-kanji vocabulary play into this? Don't tell me you think memorizing kanji teaches you how to read single-kanji words. That would be silly.

You will be fluent once yo learn those last 12 words

Radicals are just variations of kanji that already exist, so you'll end up absorving them during the course of your studies. That's what I meant when I said knowing what they are.
These are the radicals you should know about: 氵亻扌忄/⺗ ⻌ 艹 宀 阝 灬 飠 彳 犭 衤 ⺮ 礻 广 疒
There. I listed about 75% of all jouyou in existence.
Master the jouyou first and you'll eat up the entire 2K Core in one week.
80% of radicals are jouyou themselves.

>Master the jouyou first and you'll eat up the entire 2K Core in one week.
This is false.

it's an exaggeration
but as someone who has studied kanji i can tell you it's no problem at all doing a hundred cards a day if you know em well
whether or not it's a good idea is a different story though
core 2k is ordered badly and full of useless words

Wait, you're serious?
>core 2k is ordered badly and full of useless words
Everyone knows this.
>i can tell you it's no problem at all doing a hundred cards a day if you know em well
Do you mean reps or new cards?
You're special if you can handle a hundred new cards a day, period, even if you "learned the joyo". Your personal anecdote is literally irrelevant to other people.

おかえり

hundred new cards
hearing that from you doesn't mean anything unless you've also done half a year of kanji study and afterwards downloaded a vocab deck and cranked up the cards
personal anecdotes are far more relevant than "objective facts" pulled out of somebody's ass

>personal anecdotes are far more relevant than "objective facts" pulled out of somebody's ass
Read: "I'm making shit up"

Lies. The ordering is specially optimized to assist with recognition, and "full of" is a shameless exagggeration, there are only a handful or so.

>The ordering is specially optimized to assist with recognition
The ordering is specially optimized to teach people kanji through vocabulary. It has nothing to do with assisting recognition.

>hearing that from you doesn't mean anything unless you've also done half a year of kanji study and afterwards downloaded a vocab deck and cranked up the cards
What if I told you there were tons of people lurking in this thread RIGHT NOW that did this very thing and never posted about it because it's an embarrassing mistake once they failed at it?

read: "you're making shit up"
>You're special if you can handle a hundred new cards a day, period, even if you "learned the joyo".
baseless claim

an anecdote is worth more than nothing
for the record it is a true anecdote

>half a year of kanji study
Six months to learn 2000 symbols? You're kidding, right? You realize that's only ten to fifteen new kanji per day, right?
>>You're special if you can handle a hundred new cards a day, period, even if you "learned the joyo".
>baseless claim

>Learning radicals before learning jouyou is a waste of time.
baseless claim
>Master the jouyou first and you'll eat up the entire 2K Core in one week.
baseless claim
>it's no problem at all doing a hundred cards a day if you know em well
baseless claim
baseless claim
>an anecdote is worth more than nothing
>for the record it is a true anecdote
Anecdotes are true. That's what makes them anecdotes.

Anecdotes are not generalizable. You're the same as people who see one white bird and think, "birds are white". You cannot say "birds are generally white" until you reach statistical significance, and you cannot say "birds are always right" until you examine each and every last bird.

Learn basic logic.

>いたたまれない

っていうのはたまにみかけるとおもうよ

いたたまらない、はみたことがないよ