I feel like this show was making some subtle commentary on Christianity...

I feel like this show was making some subtle commentary on Christianity, especially in the last arc with lots of crucifixion symbolism also associated with the crossroads that the trio takes, as well Fuu being sort of christ-like searching for her father out of revenge and then forgiveness and Mugen and Gin being the two thieves (repentant and unrepentant) that were crucified with him.

Was there more to this is or is it just referential imagery?

I can imagine Christianity having stronger associations in Japan with Western Culture and Modernity, which the show loves to play with anachronistically.

I'm just not sure what Watanabe was trying to say, or was it just soaking in the strange atmosphere?

>I feel like this show was making some subtle commentary on Christianity

Stopped reading there.

Well it never makes any clear point with it.

Sure the imagery is plain, but is Fuu being Jesus all there is?

this is some EVA tier over-analysis trying to find 2deep4u bullshit.

it's just a show about samurais and shit with fantastic music. stop trying to make it anything more than that.

it's like trying to say cowboy bebop was anything more than a western cowboy movie in space with a japanese twist on it.

It's not exactly baselesss.

Fuu's father lead a christian rebellion.
There's an episode about christian cult lead by a false prophet.
Fuu literally get's tied to a cross in a church.

There is a little bit of mention of Christian missionaries as minor characters, the stuff you're talking about is a bit far fetched

>eim wasn't a metaphor for humanities inner struggle with it's animal instincts

how is this Sup Forums-tier at all

I thought japs used crucifixion way before the introduction of Christianity.

Kind of, they used an X though

Mostly (and barely) referential I feel. Not sure what Bible you've read but Fuu searching for her father does not reflect Christ at all since he is always connected to the Father. Jesus would certainly not seek to carry out revenge on the Father.

certain interpretations of the christ are a bit more humanizing in characterizing him as reluctant about his divine role

this is mostly heretical though and not too popular, but certainly more dramatic

like Last Temptation of Christ has Willem Defoe seizing on the ground "God loves me. I know God loves me. I want him to stop."

not sure i'm convinced the association goes this far
but Fuu is directly pinned to a cross and she does forgive her father

Crucifixion was a pretty common public execution method in feudal Japan and had absolutely nothing in common with thr Roman execution, stop being a retard please

chillout dog

it's literally on a christian crucifix in the middle of a burned down church
of course it's christian imagery

Wrong. Although OP's theory is bullshit, crucifixion was introduced during the Sengoku period by Christians

All I know about Fuu is she is hot.

Yeah, but the method itself has completely different, Romas wouls just let the victims to die on the cross, while in Japan people wpuls be impaled through the armpits or eviscerated

crucifixion was used long before christianity existed. The christians just adopted it because it was what their "savior" was killed on. Obviously you need to get your inner pedo out and go back to christian church!

No, it depended. Sometimes they would leave them up, sometimes they would impale them. Same with the Romans

Guys.

It was literally a Christian cross, in the middle of a fucking burned down church.

Of course it was a Christian crucifix.

>there is a cross in a destroyed christian village

Wait, at the end they split up and go their seperate ways? Fucking thanks for spoiling it for me jackass.

No, that happens in the couple first episodes

What, were you expecting some sort of generic "and they kept adventuring forever" shounen ending?

Also
>spoliers
>for a show from 11 years ago

>spoliers
>for a show from 11 years ago

Some people are new to anime.

Lurk for 2 years before posting

You do realize that saying that brings more attention to you, and mean people will tell you that Mugen dies

wait hold up hold up as someone who has legitimately just started this... is this true

that fucking obaba chanting

Yes

never forget ;_;

Bump.