What is the best sports anime?

And why is it Haikyuu?

Other urls found in this thread:

boards.fireden.net/a/thread/143356109/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Probably because character development and plot structure doesn't take a back seat to empty queerbaiting for once in that show?

You need to put more anime in your catalog.

Haikyuu is good but it's far from the best the genre has to offer.

what are some examples of queerbaiting sports anime? I haven't seen anything like that

yowapedal

you dare to insinuate that this pile of GARBAGE could even roughly compare to the storytelling masterpiece of motherfucking SLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMMMM DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNK

that shit's so old

Free!

Toei remade Sailor Moon.

There's still hope for an animated Inter-High tournament right?

Free! is the worst example. The entire first season is absolutely nothing but sexy shirtless guys and ass shots. None of the characters are likeable and generic and are just cardboard cutouts of various character archetypes. Granted that sounds not at all far off from the typical ecchi anime, only reverse the genders. People will try to use "B-But muh Eternal Summer!!" to try to make it seem like anything of any actual substance but really ES is just the first season with a dash of forced drama.

What Haikyuu!! does right that Free does so wrong is that most of Karasuno is actually interesting. It doesn't focus on shit like "LOL LOOK HOW GAY THEY ARE! LOOK AT THEIR ASSES AND CHESTS!" but instead the friendship between Hinata and Kageyama, Tsukishima and Yamaguchi, etc. Most of their backstories are much more interesting and it actually makes me feel something for them, and makes me root for Karasuno.

too, but to a lesser extent.

>and generic and are just cardboard cutouts

This should be "and are just generic cardboard cutouts". Shit.

>none of the characters are likeable
I liked them, and personally they were the only reason why I even stuck with Free! until the end.

>Haikyuu backstories
Cookie cutter as fuck. Shallower than a dry seabed.

Haikyuu's all right, Ping Pong's better

Free is not really a sports anime, it's Sol with a sports background. And the characterization really isn't particularly different to Haikyuu, they're all simplistically written.

They're both basically shallow entertainment and there's nothing wrong with that, but you're way overrating Haikyuu. It's mediocre compared to Ashita no Joe, Ping Pong, Slam Dunk, Adachi's stuff, Ippo, etc. Too many dragging, repetitive matches with not enough substance to make it anything more than fun, generic sports.

Ping Pong is a great sports anime, but in terms of Yuasa in general it isn't as good as Tatami Galaxy.

>Modern patrician tier sports series
Oofuri
Baby Steps
Giant Killing

Both are amazing but Tatami Galaxy is slightly imperfect in that some screentime is spent on repetitive scenes. So it's more like a 9.9/10 to Ping Pong's 10/10.

>Baby Steps
Impeccable taste.

S3 when? I want to see Ei-chan beating Takuma animated.

I'm halfway through the first season of Baby Steps, and it's not really grabbing me. Ei-chan is a kind of dull guy, and he plays dull all-rounder tennis, and is always working to get just sort of generally better. And none of the side characters have enough time devoted to their own stories or issues.

Does it get better?

KEEP CHAD OUT OF MY ANIME

Ashita no Joe aside, I find Mitsuru Adachi's works to be some of the finest examples of sport anime.

Yowamushi Pedal
Aoharu x Machinegun

I didn't have those problems at all, but the show does get better and more exciting as it goes on and he starts working on more advanced techniques and you see more of the other characters motivations and stories. By the end of the second season it gets ridiculously hype.

But if you don't like the idea of Ei-chan being a diligent person gradually getting to his goals by putting in a bunch of hard work and not just winning all the time because he's the MC and therefore the best, Baby Steps will probably never jive with you.

Never, and it breaks my heart.

Top tier taste anons. What chapter did the anime finish off? I want to catch up.

Baby Steps grew slowly on me.

The first match that will give you a taste of the whole series will be the Miyagawa one and IMO the very best matches happen only after Ei-chan decides to go pro

If I were you I would give it some more time.

Ei-chan's dull autism slowly becomes a quality and a weapon as well.

For me it's a tie between Chihayafuru and Haikyuu.

I have no problem with Ei as a character, it's just that he plays a fairly dull tennis. He's great at returns and control. Maybe it's the animation, but none of his matches seem to have much energy or flair

And the entire show rides on Ei-chan. The stories of the other character's are all pretty far into the background. There's not going to be anything like Yamaguchi's Service Aces, the greatest moment in anime ever.

>why is it Haikyuu?

It passes the Yams test. If a show has Yams, it's the best; if it doesn't, it's not. It's science.

There's really no competition.

Ace of the Diamond. Not that I've watched the anime, I've only read the manga. But if we're going by manga, Real or Eyeshield 21.

Kuroko no Basket is a hype as fuck battle shounen tho

Oh look the samefagging fujoshit who wants anime recommendations is back again.

boards.fireden.net/a/thread/143356109/

Whatever you say fujo

I like seeing Ei-chan continually improve. Even when you think he's already become a really good player, he just keeps getting better. He develops his own style of tennis later on, and it's also fun to see him out-keikaku his opponents.

I think the anime adapted up until chapter 181 or so. Incidentally, chapter 396 should be out today.

Unlike many other sports manga, Baby Steps is less about character drama and more about the sport. There's still some character drama here and there, and a fair bit of romance, but it's just not the main focus.

Sports anime have some of the best semen demons. I feel sorry for the fags who don't watch sports anime.

Haikyuu is good but it needs to be something more than game after game. It's not an anime yet but I couldn't give two shits about the Shiratoriazawa match except for the Tsuki parts because he actually had some development outside of matches.

Major was the best sports anime I've watched except for those rushed arcs at the end.

Rookies is,indisputably, the greatest sports manga however.

I want to read this but I'm concerned that it'd feel dated and tired. Masterpieces in any medium tend to get copied and make certain tropes staples in the genre, which can then make them seem generic, even if they were the original.

Dude Cross Game is pretty modern.

The dated classic is Touch.

This.

Why couldn't it just have been about her instead

Baseball:
Touch
Cross Game
Oofuri
Diamond no Ace
Rookies (Manga)
One Outs

Basketball:
Slam Dunk
Real (Wheelchair Basketball)

American Football:
Eyeshield 21

Football:
Giant Killing

Tennis:
Aim for the Ace
Baby Steps

Boxing:
Hajime no Ippo
Ashita no Joe

Table Games/Board Games:
Chihayafuru
Hikaru no Go
3-Gatsu no Lion

Motorsports:
Capeta

Cylcing:
Yowapeda
Overdrive

Volleyball:
Haikyuu

Bonus* (Manga)
Competitive Overclocking - 87 Clockers
Extreme Ballroom Dancing - Ballroom e Youkoso
Competitive Quiz Matches - 703x

Are we caught up with Japan on Ballroom? Is the author alive?

Yes

Alive but dying

>it's a SPYAIR does the OP episode

hajime no ippo is still up there for me
haikyuu is good but needs more yachi

kuroko should really kill himself

Do you mean Ashita no Joe or Cross Game? because Cross Game is pretty fresh.
And Ashita no Joe is still an amazing read and better than most modern sport shounen, the only outdated thing about it is the art.

Actually dying or Togashi dying?

desu i agree
ping pong was 10/10 for me, the only issue which is really a non-issue for me was the animation in some parts like hoshino surfing
ttg is just overrated tbqh

is cross game really a sports anime tho?
it strikes me more as a decent slice of life/romance. the sport itself is a slog on screen

Very solid list.

Hajime no Ippo lost me when Itagaki started acquiring super powers. Moving so fast he actually vanishes? Nope, I'm done.

Baby Steps taught me that the scoring system in Tennis is super stupid

Baby Steps taught me the power of autism.

Is giant killing any good? Thinking about picking it up

It's different from the usual highschool sports anime since the MC is the manager and it's about a whole pro club in the japanese league.

Also I'd say it requires a bit more than basic knowledge in football to enjoy it.

Besides that, it's fucking great and the best football anime in years.

why do sports anime always have the best grills?

Because the fujopandering means they'll never hook up with any of the boys so they'll always be your waifu and no one else.

I haven't seen the whole thing but the game between the A and B school teams was prime stuff

It's good but only half translated if you're planning to read. English is like 20 volumes behind.

best grill

Is the Cross Game anime good or should I read the manga?

it's always a 'trick'. Nothing Itagaki did was even slightly as bad as what Woli did vs Ippo. I still love the manga, but ol' George comes off his rocker every now and then and writes some utter bullshit. Takamura's winning toe punch was another one.

But then you get shit like Date catching Martinez, but only didn't down him because of the shattered hand from the elbow block. Best though is the fact that if Eagle had gone after Takamura's eye from the start, he probably would have beaten him soundly.

What about Major? I thought it was pretty solid throughout all of the seasons

Slamdunk

Girls und Panzer.

Good point, for whatever reason it just doesn't register for me as a sports anime but that's what it is when you get down to it, and a pretty great one at that.

You tell me.

Even just thinking about Ping Pong makes me excited. That's a feat no other work of art could achieve and I consume an unhealthy amount of stuff. I am very, very critical when thinking that something could be a 10/10 but in the case of PP, it was obvious in an instant. I can't find a flaw.

I don't think that anything can come close to it in my lifetime (at least in anime), but let's hope for the best.

It's excellent, a really refreshing change from repetitive high school sports since it's about pros.

Thank you for mentioning 87 Clockers. I'm laughing my ass off here. I would have never guessed that Nodame Cantabile's author was into PCs.

I fucking hate this cunt. Ruined the whole manga.

Still waiting for somebody to show me examples of good character development in haikyuu.

Tsukki had the most "character development" of every character but he's still an unlikable cunt so it doesn't matter.

Why do you need to develop perfection?

Ok, we'll just pretend Kuroko no basuke doesnt exist then.

Ping Pong, then again that shit is literally the best anime ever made so its kind of cheating.

>Studio Deen

To create likable and sympathetic characters you actually give a fuck about. Haikyuu characters are cute but about as deep as a puddle in the desert.

I only bring it up because people keep hyping up the character development when it's probably the weakest point.

You'll fall in love with him after he calls out his coach for being a petty hypocrite by making Hinata a ballboy when he's already proven he has the strength to stand on the court.

Just when I thought Shirashit and their ugly ass captain were out of the manga for good. How humiliating is it for them that their school was defeated by a scrub who is just ballboy level.

The realest nigga of the show.

Literally who.

what's the best

Is it too late to start a sport? I hate that I feel that I missed something out by all these sport anime in high school settings

Outside of high school, college, and pro sports you probably won't find that competitiveness portrayed in most sports anime. Depending on where you live there might be community centers that do sports and recreation for fun.