How many anime do you have to watch before you're considered a professional anime watcher?

How many anime do you have to watch before you're considered a professional anime watcher?

You're a professional anime watcher from the moment you get paid for watching anime.

The professional anime watcher is the one who, regardless of how much or how few anime he/she watched, has a show that hold dearest to his/her heart.
A show that isn't popular, 3x3 bait or part of every top ____ anime of all time. It's just a show that he/she found endearing and loves even when only four or five people in the entire world know about its existence.

"professional" anime watcher is no more applicable any more than someone can be a pro TV watcher or a pro movie watcher, in other words inherently stupid sounding.

You can however be a more experienced watcher. You should see at least 200 series to not be considered a noob. >400 is a respectable amount; beyond that it starts to get subjective person to person what counts as very well-experienced, probably starts at >5-600 to most.

K-On?

More than you have.

Well i stopped round the 300's and now exclusively read manga.

20 mins of anime makes me go to sleep.
I'm sick of hearing the same VA's all over again too.

(your current watched total)+1

You can't be a professional anime watcher, but you can become patrician. This is not about the number of anime watched, but rather becoming open to and appreciating all different genres of anime. Some people can reach this in a dozen series, while others may watch 1200 yet never truly become patrician. It's a mindest, not a level.

>How many anime do you have to watch before you're considered a professional anime watcher?
All of them. So nobody will ever be a pro until no more anime is released.

Yeah, user. K-ON is a gem underappreciated. Only you and me know about it and hold it dear.

Geez the number keeps going up. I'm almost there.

>how many

That's not what professional means
You need to earn money watching anime to be a professional

That's why you watch anime on company time user

what's K-on? sounds like some shounenshit

i have several of these

finally I'm good at something!

Two, as long as you're getting paid.
Getting paid to watch just the one makes you a contractor.

How do I get paid to watch anime? Should I become a professional anime reviewer, or should I learn Japanese and get paid by someone to translate?

When you finally stop watching anime and begin reading manga aimed toward your actual demographic. Or in other words, grow up.

>paid to watch anime
In what situation would anyone have the demand for someone to watch anime for them? Like previewing or something?

Translating it perhaps?

When you stop being a manimefag, mechafag, moefag, shonenfag or whatever and learn to appreciate every type of anime without giving a shit.

Working as a translator or as a critic and if you have an anime channel with enough suscribers youtube might throw you some bucks

>moefag,
>implying moe is a genre.

When you get to the point where you think "it's all the same shit".

You'll get to the point where you see the common elements in shows and you seek out your niche. You get to the point where you can almost judge a show based on genre and who is on the production staff. It's not harder to enjoy per se, you can just weed through shit quicker. You gain an appreciation for how shows play out and look for what they do different and how they handle a genre's cliches.

For example, I'm really into mecha anime. When I first started watching mecha, I didn't know a lot and enjoyed the show on the surface level. But as I watched more, I came to realize that a lot of the things that I thought a show pioneered, it wasn't even close. The more knowledge you gain, the more you can see things in a different light, both good and bad.

You're right, its a lifestyle

So youtube anime reaction channels?

I am a professional anime watcher. Ask me anything.

/thread

>Anime Expert (Have watched over 200 animes)

When you watch a lot of everything. You already know what genres you like and which ones are often terrible, but are usually willing to give anything and not drop much.

You should also have a solid foundation on plenty of genre defining shows especially those from before 1990.

There must be a point after that where you just read manga and watch anime by your favorite teams/directors.

You aren't nearly at the end. You will run out of your favorite directors and even studios very easily unless it's something ubiquitous like Sunrise or JC Staff.

How do you run out of directors?
I mean they'll die eventually, but someone should come along and make good shit in the younger generations.

According to MAL you have to score 1000 anime

i always think about actually learning japanese and being a translator, but is it really enough for one to support themselves financially i wonder?

Not a chance
Specially if you are starting out.

Most translators start it as a hobby until they build a portfolio big enough to apply for some company or take freelancer jobs here and there.

The endgame of such career is to get hired in japan to serve as an english mediator

You need about 5 animes and an account on MAL.

>all those faggots on MAL that complain about anime
>"I gotta watch an anime even if I don't like it, because that's what critics do"

>they unironically think that being an anime critic is a thing.
>even worse
>a gaijin anime critic

No. Taste is the result of a thousand distastes. I hate the majority of TV anime and would rather spend my time watching something worthwhile and artful.

about three animes