Is Hellsing a guilty pleasure or legit good?

Is Hellsing a guilty pleasure or legit good?

Nice rec thread

I don't know? how about you decide for yourself fag.

Guilty pleasure, it's all style and no substance. Such style though.

is this really from the ova? Looks more like the tv series

Pure rule of cool user.

Ovas legit good. Anime is shit

Both. Not exactly my kind of anime, but far more engaging than I was expecting.

Its bolth

The OVA changed production house like three times. The first few were Genion, who also did the tv version, so it would make sense that they look similar.

>tfw OVA is better animation but TV series is better soundtrack
Have they been combined into something desirable yet?

These guys are about right. It's fun, turn your brain off and enjoy the beautiful violence with moments of oddly silliness and a little bit of very dark shit, usually related to rape/necrophilia.

Legit good, but only in a superficial way. It's got nice visuals, charismatic characters and a good OST, so it's not a 'guilty' pleasure like something you'd just watch for tits or self insertion.

Not that is doesn't supply the former. Hirano was a hentai artist early in his career, and brought multiple character from those into Hellsing.

There is no objective good. Style is almost as important as substance, and moreso often considering what passes as substance is just throwing some philosophy meant to sound SO DEEP to clueless teenagers or sheltered enviromentalists with lots of swathes of solid color in place of actual art (muh rose-colored campus life)

>people itt say style is very important
>will proceed to shit on BLEACH

Problem is that Bleach didn't know when to stop.

I'll join the chorus saying it's good for what it is. I will, however, point out that it has issues with its tone, primarily in its use of super-deformed comedy bits that the Japanese have an inexplicable love for. They stuck one in the middle of what was supposed to be an emotional flashback montage, and my jaw literally dropped. Just what the fuck kind of tone are you trying to set with that?

But does it have grace?

It's a festival of cool and gore.
Also best Nazisplotation work.

Most would just call you a shounenfag and disregard you, but I will give you the time of day.

>extremely mediocre art as a whole (and who can blame Kubo, it's a weekly publication and he's chained the Shounen Jump)
>plot is WAY WAY WAY more cliche than stylish
>far too many useless characters you could not give the remotest shit about
>its shounen fights really aren't that engrossing on the whole
>silly anime philosophizing is usually shit, decent at best, with only a few good exceptions

It doesn't have that much going for it compared to Hellsing, honestly. Though I haven't read it in years and for a long time I'd stopped paying even the remotest attention to it (after the fucking Dirty Boots shit)), it at least had its moments - like with Mayuri and Kenpachi - but those were few and far between. I've read spoilers regarding Kenpachi, Unohana, Ichigo's lineage, Yhwach, and the Soul King, and those seemed relatively interesting from what I gathered, but I can only imagine how many layers of bullshit these plot points were buried under. The tits were pretty nice, but those don't make a series.

You are not on the level of a Narutard, my friend, but you must understand. Bleach is not that great a series. The world has more to offer you. Might I suggest reading Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer?

Agreed, the comedy was particularly jarring and unfunny. The inconsistent tone is easily the biggest weakness of the series. I haven't read the manga though, do I blame the mangaka or the director?

You can blame either. I lean more towards the directors, since some things just don't work in animated format, and there is such a thing as being too faithful to the source material.